edgarblythe

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 05:30 pm
@Fido,
Social Security and health care are two (among many) items that America needs. It's bullshit to claim we can't afford it. It's bullshit to think we can't reform the government without shrinking or eliminating social programs like these. The public gets systematically fleeced by government, corporate America and the military. Put a stop to that, not the lifeline of millions of citizens. Or do you think it will benefit the "revolution" to make the old folks die off?
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 05:31 pm
@Fido,
Fido, in case you missed my post:

http://able2know.org/topic/162284-1#post-4375614

BBB
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 05:31 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:

I hate to do it, but I have to agree with dys here. That video is a neatly done top-notch professional job. Which only makes it all the more pernicious: any political organization which can put together something that professional obviously isn't far from being in the same league as the organization it criticises. I have no use for the Repubs, but I hate to see the Dems (for whom I likewise have no use) shoot themselves in the kneecap by puerile posturing.

Parties are not our only problem, but they are the problem which puts all our other problems beyond solution... A party is a party is a party... There is no good party or bad party... They are all an impediment to our national purpose, and if they were thought necessary then the Constitution would have created them... Parties never did much good for England... There was no reason to expect them to do good here, and so they were not mandated... They were not prevented from formation, and that was a mistake we should correct... As if it were possible...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 05:38 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Social Security and health care are two (among many) items that America needs. It's bullshit to claim we can't afford it. It's bullshit to think we can't reform the government without shrinking or eliminating social programs like these. The public gets systematically fleeced by government, corporate America and the military. Put a stop to that, not the lifeline of millions of citizens. Or do you think it will benefit the "revolution" to make the old folks die off?

We can afford to support our old, our infirm, and our retarded and young... Hell, even primitives could do that much... The thing is that when most people are poor and the rich won't settle for less rich, then new rich have to be made out of the entitlements of the poor...We could afford a living wage for all too; but how likely is that???
Fido

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 05:41 pm
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

Another reason I'm voting Republican is because, Hate, poverty, prejudice, war, are all good things.

Only when they kill you... To live with them is hell...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 07:15 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

edgarblythe wrote:

We can afford to support our old, our infirm, and our retarded and young... Hell, even primitives could do that much... The thing is that when most people are poor and the rich won't settle for less rich, then new rich have to be made out of the entitlements of the poor...We could afford a living wage for all too; but how likely is that???

I don't altogether understand where you are coming from. I am as committed to changing the nature of our situation as anybody else. But without my SS checks I would possibly be living in a box downtown. Not much you can do from that far down.
farmerman

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 11:15 pm
@edgarblythe,
Even social security has been set up so that the individuals tax burden ends at a specific income level. We can make SS totally secure and fund it forever if only congress would show some leadership and extend the tax burden beyond the cuttoff . The way it is now, we shall always have a "sunset date" at which time the SS "fund" will be depleted.
Fido

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 11:38 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Fido wrote:

edgarblythe wrote:

I don't altogether understand where you are coming from. I am as committed to changing the nature of our situation as anybody else. But without my SS checks I would possibly be living in a box downtown. Not much you can do from that far down.

I am 57; not that far from social security; but it is broke and if the republicans had their way; it would be.. We can afford Social Security... If it had been invested with interest that was paid to the rich to balance the national debt, instead of being used, as it was, for that purpose without interest, it would be fine...

The Democrats should point out that all those social expenses, entitlements, and the so called National Debt, are really the Republican Debt... Money spent to defend capitalism abroad and to preserve capitalism here is Republican Debt... It is for the benefit of republicans that the commonwealth has been turned into private wealth when that property as public property could have supported the whole population, then the support of the population belongs to those who took it from the people, and that is the republicans... If the rich will not pay taxes out of their wealth, then the poor must pay, which only increases the gulf between rich and poor... If the rich think they have some eternal right to the wealth they took too easily out of this people and our resources, and that they shall never suffer taxation to support the government that supports them, then they should be removed from their wealth, and if necessary, from their lives...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2010 04:36 am
MY opinion of Social Security - They raided the coffers practically since its inception and it is increasingly hard to sustain. - I wouldn't object to making a profit off it, but if it got handled the way my 401k did, we would just be further impoverished. I don't favor allowing every yokel to pilot their own account. Too many would likely end without a cent. To me, the key is to quit wasting so many resources on everything we don't need and fund public works better.
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2010 04:57 am
I'm going to be 62 this spring and can take early SS. I won't of course. I have not had insurance in many years and it has been the DIRECT cause of me going from not wealthy but well off to pinching pennies. I could afford healthinsurance up to a point but bcause of my son it became unsustainable and then after my near death illness in 2006 no one in my state that mandates insurance will insure me. I am constantly in debt to one medical practice, hospital or another and I ignore things that need treatment. My government, no matter WHO has been in office allowed this and still allows this to happen no matter how much they trumpet this wonderful health care reforem, which is bullshit.... and now I have to live with the worry that when I soon become old enough fo Medicare it won't be available, much less Social Security.

Therefore if I absolutely have to I'll just go to the ER and pay what I can and the rest of it they can whistle up a ******* tree for. Then the very people who support those who make this situation happen can stand off at a distance and cluck about me being a system gaming freeloader. Enjoy the self righteousness folks, because soon there will be no decent affordable health care for anyone and if you think any politician in any party gives a damn about you or your care, then you probably are too stupid to be walking the Earth and should kill yourself and thin the herd.

And we're still walking around like banty roosters talking about how we're the greatest country in the world.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2010 05:36 am
I do agree with BVT that both parties have helped ruin social security and health care. The only real difference, the Dems still want to dole a token amount of it out and many republicans want to kill it.
Setanta

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2010 05:58 am
@farmerman,
Those sons-of-bitches in Congress have been looting the Social Security Trust Fund since the day one. That's why the system can't sustain itself.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2010 06:05 am
@edgarblythe,
yes we have to end the accruing to additional debt via SS, but, since its a "on demand" trust, its always got new money. Even with the decline in new payers, it can be made sustainable by running the tax out to the end of everyones income like it shoulda been from day 1.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2010 06:40 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
You will get medicare at 62, even if you don't take SS yet. At least I did. I don't think that has changed. But you have to sign up for it.
Fido

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2010 07:18 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

MY opinion of Social Security - They raided the coffers practically since its inception and it is increasingly hard to sustain. - I wouldn't object to making a profit off it, but if it got handled the way my 401k did, we would just be further impoverished. I don't favor allowing every yokel to pilot their own account. Too many would likely end without a cent. To me, the key is to quit wasting so many resources on everything we don't need and fund public works better.
Now watch and see, that if you have any pension coming from saving or from collective barganing, that they are going to want to take your social security, or tax you out of it... It is called means testing... I took **** all of my life of one sort or another for being in a union, and I worked hard for every cent I have of pension, and I am broke up enough that serious work is out of the question, so why take what I paid for so they can sit on their assess and say they are running things right... We haven't got a government... They are blind drunk driving in a fog at full speed trying like hell to avoid obstcles and follow the curves while watching for the cops... It is not government but escapism... They are trying to escape the very reality they are sticking us with...
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2010 07:44 am
@edgarblythe,
I don't know if that's a fedeeral or state thing, but I investigated it and it's 65 here in NC.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2010 11:10 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
Wait. I think you're right. Sorry.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2010 11:10 am
@Fido,
Now you are getting closer to my position.
Fido

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2010 01:40 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Now you are getting closer to my position.

Be prepared to move... I'm not fat; but I am expansive...
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2010 02:43 pm
@edgarblythe,
love means never having to say you're sorry big guy. Now wrap your arms around my hairy back and give me a hug Laughing