Alternatives to jail/prison

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 08:05 am

" Alternatives to jail/prison "

capital punishment
spendius

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 08:44 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Europe has decided against it. Anybody who uses such barbaric solutions is denied entry to the EEC.
aidan

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 09:41 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Yeah and I said that I was interested in solutions that didn't include execution or torture.
aidan

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 09:59 am
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
You're mixing things up here. If rehabilitation were the only purpose of punishment, then I'd agree: incarceration isn't the best option. Indeed, it wouldn't even be a logical or morally justifiable option, since prisons do a terrible job of rehabilitating prisoners.

I'm not mixing anything up. In the quote of mine that you quoted here I said:
Quote:

It's not me who initiated this theory that incarceration is not the best option for rehabilitation. But when I was challenged on it, I had to admit that in some ways I've come to see that it's not even the best option for punishment. I guess I do still believe it is the best way to keep the public safe from the criminal element and the results of criminal intent

I don't know about you, but the way I read that it says that incarceration is not the best option for rehabilitation - which is exactly what you said. And I also said that I'm beginning to see that it may not even be the best option to achieve any sort of punishment or deterence - as many men I see in prison admit to having a harder time living on the outside.

Quote:
In this particular scenario, George Michael isn't a patient who is supposed to be treated by the state, he's an offender whose role is now to serve as a bad example for others to avoid. If he gets rehabilitated in the process, so much the better, but that's not the sole purpose of punishment.

Honestly, I'm not all that interested in George Michael and Lindsay Lohan and the rest of them. Mr. Michael was the catalyst for the initial conversation. I'd have never even brought him up to tell you the truth.

What I am interested in is trying to come up with solutions - societal solutions- that will enable prisons to do and achieve what they are meant to do and achieve.

I don't hold the bleak view that NO rehabilitation ever takes place. Because I see every day instances in which it does. I see people get off drugs. I see people learn how to become better parents. I see people learn to read and write. I see people become carpenters and plumbers and artists. So to say that no rehabilitation ever happens is wrong.
But not enough of it does. But again, I don't think it's not because the opportunity is not offered. I think - I mean I KNOW- because I'm told by these guys that they don't believe in rehabilitation as much as they should because no one on the outside believes they can be rehabilitated. And I guess they're right to an extent.
These guys have learned that when they get out - they might have all the skills they need to get a job - but who's going to hire a plumber to go into peoples' homes when they have a record for assault or robbery?
And how do you live without a job? That's why the recidivism rate is so high.

The problem I see with incarceration is that it becomes comfortable - it becomes a known quantity for some of these men, which is easier than the constant struggle for that one unknown lucky break they need to be able to turn everything around and make it on the outside that so few of them ever get.

I guess I'm most concerned about rehabilitation because that's what I'm trying to do there. I'm not a guard - so I'm less concerned about incarceration and incapacitation. I'm more concerned about seeing some sort of change that can be positive.
I do see it inside - but it often seems to all fall apart when they get back out again.
Maybe I should get a job working resettlement or something.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 12:08 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
Europe has decided against it. Anybody who uses such barbaric solutions is denied entry to the EEC.
Then it falls to any loyal friends or loyal family members
to avenge the victim themselves. Their failure to do so
(IF thay valued the victim) is a personal disgrace.

In some instances,
a person cannot tolerate such dishonor upon himself.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 12:11 pm
@aidan,
O !
I did not see that.

David
aidan

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 12:41 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
That's alright David. But now that you're aware of the parameters, do you have any ideas?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 12:43 pm
@aidan,
aidan wrote:
That's alright David. But now that you're aware of the parameters, do you have any ideas?
1. Well, there is BANISHMENT from the North American Continent of criminally violent recidivists.

2. US Constitution, 13th Amendment:
" Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime
whereof the party shall have been duly convicted
, shall exist within the United States,
or any place subject to their jurisdiction." [Emphasis was added by David; it is not that way in the original.]

Accordingly, criminals can be rented out,
with the revenues of their labors being applied to restitution
plus a reasonable profit, to the benefit of their victims,
or their heirs, devisees or legatees.

David
spendius

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 12:57 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
How naive do you want to get Dave? Do you want the human race never to be healed so you can go on forever with your psuedo machismo.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 12:58 pm

I can envision the victims
driving them (the bad guys) with the lash: "Faster, FASTER, I say !!! "
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 01:02 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
How naive do you want to get Dave?
Will 758% be OK ???

spendius wrote:
Do you want the human race never to be healed
so you can go on forever with your psuedo machismo.
Healed from what ?? inquires David
spendius

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 01:11 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
There is an open prison in the south of England where all the road signs are manufactured.

The problem with putting prisoners to productive slavery is that the unions object to the jobs of their members being taken by people earning £5 a week. Another problem is that judges might send more people to prison for longer periods in order the make money for their friends. (As as happened recently in the USA).

Quote:

What you would cause if you weren't as powerless and as ineffective as you obviously are.
spendius

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 01:16 pm
@spendius,
Winston Churchill, the man who led Great Britain's resistance to Hitler while the US dithered and let the Jews shift for themselves wrote-

Quote:
“The mood and temper of the public in regard to the treatment of crime and criminals is one of the most unfailing tests of the civilisation of any country. A calm and dispassionate recognition of the rights of the accused against the state and even of convicted criminals against the state, a constant heart-searching by all charged with the duty of punishment, a desire and eagerness to rehabilitate in the world of industry of all those who have paid their dues in the hard coinage of punishment, tireless efforts towards the discovery of curative and regenerating processes and an unfaltering faith that there is a treasure, if only you can find it in the heart of every person – these are the symbols which in the treatment of crime and criminals mark and measure the stored up strength of a nation, and are the sign and proof of the living virtue in it.”

Any fool can talk tough.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 01:32 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
There is an open prison
Is that an oxymoron ??????

spendius wrote:
in the south of England where all the road signs are manufactured.

The problem with putting prisoners to productive slavery is that the unions object to the jobs of their members being taken by people earning £5 a week.
I have a solution to that problem, to wit: let them be damned.
(unlesss your country is being run for THEIR benefit)

spendius wrote:
Another problem is that judges might send more people to prison
for longer periods in order the make money for their friends. (As as happened recently in the USA).
U mean, as distinct from HATRED for the offenses against the victims, right ?

David wrote:

spendius wrote:
What you would cause if you weren't as powerless and as ineffective as you obviously are.
Your answer is INEFFECTIVELY deceptive and mendacious,
as examination of your recent posts reveals.

Quote:
spendius wrote:
Do you want the human race never to be healed
[This implies that as of NOW
the race needs "to be healed"]

so you can go on forever with your psuedo machismo.

David wrote:
to which Spendius speculates about what I 'd do in the future.

Has Spendius fallen into hypocrisy ????

David
Mame

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 01:44 pm
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

These guys have learned that when they get out - they might have all the skills they need to get a job - but who's going to hire a plumber to go into peoples' homes when they have a record for assault or robbery?
And how do you live without a job? That's why the recidivism rate is so high.

That's certainly not the only reason recidivism is so high - lol. The thing is, you can't fix everything or everyone. Not everyone a) thinks they need to be fixed, and/or b) wants to be fixed. Those that do respond well to rehabilitative measures; those that don't, don't. And recidivism results.

And actually, would YOU hire a plumber who has a record for assault or robbery? What? You could be attacked? Robbed? Come on!

Yeah, they need to get a break if they truly don't want to continue their previous lifestyle, but this has to be thought out. Don't put them in front of temptation for a while, move them away from their previous associates, teach them something completely foreign to their life... all things designed to break off the old patterns and lifestyle.

Anyway, this is an age-old problem and I doubt those of us here are going to solve it anytime soon.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 01:50 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:
The thing is, you can't fix everything or everyone. Not everyone a) thinks they need to be fixed, and/or b) wants to be fixed. Those that do respond well to rehabilitative measures; those that don't, don't.

We used in the probation office here, too, the "33%-law": 1/3 actually don't need the help of the probation officer, with 1/3 it's worth to work hard (and it really is a hard work also for the probation officer) and the last third ....
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 02:23 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
David asked:
Quote:
Healed from what

Here's one thing we should be looking at healing:
Quote:
What is the relationship between mental health problems and offending?

More than 70% of the prison population has two or more mental health disorders. Male prisoners are 14 times more likely to have two or more disorders than men in general, and female prisoners 35 times more likely than women in general - Social Exclusion Unit (2004) quoting, Psychiatric Morbidity Among Prisoners In England And Wales, (1998)

Here's something else:
Quote:
Literacy among prisoners and offenders
In the UK, the Every Child A Reader programme makes it unequivocally clear that basic literacy is essential to future success. 70% of pupils permanently excluded from school have difficulties in basic literacy skills. 25% of young offenders are said to have reading skills below those of the average seven-year-old. 60% of the prison population is said to
have difficulties in basic literacy skills.
These findings built on existing results from a prison service study, which asks prisoners on reception to take a literacy test devised by the Basic Skills Agency. The test is approximately equivalent to the reading skills expected of 9 to 10-year-olds. The 1998 results showed that 60% had problems with literacy, and 40% had severe literacy problems. Similarly, the Social Exclusion Unit reported that 80% of prisoners have writing skills at or below the level expected of an 11-year-old child; the equivalent figure
for reading is 50% (Social Exclusion Unit, 2002:6).
The acute shortage of literacy skills amongst prisoners are predictably reflected in qualification levels, with a 2005 DFES study revealing that 52% of male prisoners and 71% of female prisoners have no qualifications at all. A Prison Reform Trust (2008) study suggested 48% of prisoners have a reading level at or below Level 1, while an even greater proportion (65%) have a numeracy level at or below Level 1. In addition, it is perhaps unsurprising that 67% of all prisoners were unemployed at the time of
imprisonment.

This paper goes on to explain that poverty is the unifying qualifier as much if not moreso than illiteracy, as when a population is controlled for socio-economic level, the literacy levels are similar in offending and non-offending populations.

So basically, what you're looking at in prisons David are people who are more likely to have multiple issues: mental illness, illiteracy, poverty, lack of employment and/or unemployability due to lack of qualifications or skills which leads to homelessness and hopelessness and depression which can lead to drug addiction which leads to criminal behavior. etc.

Those are just some of the societal issues that contribute to criminality and need to be 'healed'.
aidan

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 02:27 pm
@aidan,
Quote:
Anyway, this is an age-old problem and I doubt those of us here are going to solve it anytime soon.

That doesn't mean I can't discuss it if I want to. It interests me. I was asking for ideas - thanks for your contribution.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 02:32 pm
@Mame,
Quote:
And actually, would YOU hire a plumber who has a record for assault or robbery? What? You could be attacked? Robbed? Come on!

I probably would. I hired a guy who had a record for robbery and fraud to work in a business I owned. He was a good cook. I just made sure he worked when I was there and never left him alone with the till.
It all went fine- he never stole anything from me - he's been out of prison four years now.
You know sometimes when someone has an assault or grievious bodily harm conviction on their record it means they got in a fight in a pub or something.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 02:43 pm
@aidan,
Quote:
aidan wrote:

I probably would. I hired a guy who had a record for robbery and fraud to work in a business I owned. He was a good cook.
I just made sure he worked when I was there and never left him alone with the till.
It all went fine- he never stole anything from me - he's been out of prison four years now.
You know sometimes when someone has an assault or grievious bodily harm conviction on their record it means they got in a fight in a pub or something.
I had a girlfriend on Long Island who hired someone to remodel her kitchen.
She discovered that he was ripping her off and got a little scary, she indicated.

She later found out that he had a criminal record.

David