hi old fashioned mom here

Wed 23 Nov, 2022 10:34 pm
Hello, am wondering if there are any loving yet strict parents here who would like to talk? I have a son of 8 and daughter 11 here, and sometimes feel alone in raising them. Would love to have a friend to talk to

neptuneblue

Wed 23 Nov, 2022 10:50 pm
@HlprMomma,
In an other post, you've indicated that you strike your children in order to effectively discipline. Please expand on the notion that causing physical pain to a child indicates a loving yet strict parenting objective.
izzythepush

Thu 24 Nov, 2022 06:38 am
@neptuneblue,
Subjecting children to physical punishment is abuse. It's lazy, and it doesn't work.

What works is withdrawing a treat/ privilege.
bobsal u1553115

Sun 27 Nov, 2022 01:08 pm
What do you adolescents find so amusing about child abuse?
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
bobsal u1553115

Sat 17 Dec, 2022 07:26 am
@spanker dad,
Bullshit.
0 Replies

SAHMOFTWINS3

Wed 28 Jun, 2023 09:49 pm
@izzythepush,
I completely agree that it is lazy parenting. It does not work and I have seen several examples and proof of said statement. I use time-outs, explaining why they are in time out before and after. My twins are 3 years old and it works very well for us. One of my daughters went through a really stressful scary phase of hitting her head when she got mad. This happened often until I not only did research but I also spoke to their pediatrician. It was a long process that took uber amounts of patience, staying calm, and consistency. Now, I am a young stay at home mom/teacher/wife/housekeeper/cook (lol). I was raised very differently. I was beat a lot of the time. However, I do not except sympathy due to the fact the childhood I had, gave me the knowledge I needed to be a good mother, wife, friend, person. A few months ago, my daughters got an entire bottle of juice and spilled it in their room... I am not going to pretend like I was not mad.. I was. I thought about spanking for a breif moment, so I put a towel down, walked out on my porch to take a moment to gather myself and calm down. My father called me and I told him what was going on. I then said I was restraining myself from screaming and taking a breather so I could handle the situation in an appropriate manner. He said he didn't think I should restrain myself, that I should spank them, that sometimes children needed that. I didn't know what to say especially since he had never disciplined me or my siblings in any way. I realized in that moment that the only reason I had considered spanking was because I was angry, not because it was an appropriate punishment. And that wasn't okay. It's lazy because it takes time and effort and sadly, a lot of parents make themselves believe they don't have the time or that it doesn't work because their child keeps getting up out of time out. The fact is, you have to be firm, keep putting them back, and ignore the tantrum, And, there is time, if it is important enough to you, you make the time. Period. They need to take the time, do the research and see how many dangers come from spanking. Now, a lot of people want to say it worked back then, it's what their parents did. But that excuse is just that. and excuse.. and a lousy one. We now live in a time where we have all the information and knowledge we need within the click of a button. You just have to make it your business to do the work. I don't want my children to not do something out of fear, I don't want them scared of me, I want them to truly understand why they shouldn't do whatever it is and why it is wrong.
0 Replies

PoliteMight

Thu 29 Jun, 2023 05:20 am
@HlprMomma,
Spanking is okay to some extent. However will not work after awhile. The idea is that you are showing somebody that their are consequences for there actions. However you have to be reasonable as well. You can not just spank somebody and be like "They will get it". Because at the same time they could also enjoy the spanking they receive, and the person doing the spanking might as well see it as a joy.

In college one of my writing professors ( Terrible pre-College English course I had to take too many times ) literally told us about how she went to a Catholic school as a young girl. There was this boy that would often get spanked "a lot". Later in life she went back. Apparently the boy grew up and became a priest in the school. He explained "She apparently got into it too much with one of the students and passed out from it". She died while disciplining a student. Imagine that. Some grey-nun with a paddle, belt, or hand spanking somebody and dying in ecstasy. It was a terrible course because the writing book had nothing but political topics about abortion a the time. It just seems that all these college writing books had nothing but abortion and civil-rights, talking about race, sex, and religion.

Also that being said if your a parent who is clearly doing wrong and the child actually see that you are doing wrong the spanking will not work and will be seen as a type of attack towards that person.

My father would play this "spare the rod and spoil the child" to cover the fact that he was doing wrong. He tried using the fact my mother left him as a scapegoat to say that "see I told you this would happen".

However I agree it can be seen as a parents lazy way because chances are they do not want to be a parent but somehow it worked for them.

My half sister got ACPS on my dad. She was skipping school to hang out with an older guy. When the school found out about her skipping too many days and had my dad and her mom ( older then my mom with her on her chest )
called up. She claimed abuse knowing what was going to happen when she would return home.Since then when it comes to his children he just gives up. Now she has two kids with a guy from prison that broke up her car ( and she did not report this ). Plus she is living in the house and she is not with the guy.

My father is like one of these little bitches who enjoys seeing somebody suffer knowing he had the ACPS called on him. However now the house has two sons that are not his or related to his name. So he takes vacations or drives off somewhere when he can.

Honestly spanking has it's place and honestly some parents just can not deal with the fact there children are now young-adults ( teenagers ) that rivals them.
bobsal u1553115

Thu 29 Jun, 2023 10:23 am
@PoliteMight,
Spanking is OK to no extent. I think you were spanked too hard and too often.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
neptuneblue

Sun 3 Sep, 2023 10:59 am
@Rayblondie,
There is no time where hitting a child for "discipline" equals a change in behavior. Let me hit you and you'll understand it doesn't work for anybody, at any time.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Mon 4 Sep, 2023 02:42 am
@Rayblondie,
You are an abuser.
izzythepush

Mon 4 Sep, 2023 02:47 am
@izzythepush,
My kids are both adults, both law abiding and hard working, and they both adore me.

The most effective discipline does not involve physical abuse.
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Thu 5 Oct, 2023 10:57 pm
It seems you haven't yet checked out the resources I quoted for you on your last post.

There's still time to do that.
0 Replies