How many glasses of water do YOU drink?

ehBeth

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 08:45 pm
I used to work with a nurse who used to work in a psychiatric hospital - there is actually a psych diagnosis that has excessive water-drinking as a symptom, and people can drink enough water to kill themselves through the imbalance of their electrolytes.

l'k - the bacteria in some of the bottled waters are enough to make people quite sick.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 09:25 pm
I'll take my chances, Beth.....
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 09:32 pm
Today - 2 1/2 Liters, Yesterday about 1 Liter, varies a great amount daily. No Coffee or Soda.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 09:39 pm
For the longest time, I have been making myself large pitchers of Crystal Light Lemonade. that was the way that I got my water. Then my husband sold me a bill of goods that the aspertame in Crystal Light was very dangerous, So now I fill a large pitcher with water, add some lemon juice and a splash of orange juice, and a little saccharine. Works fine, and I don't feel guilty about polluting my cellular structure! Surprised
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 09:53 pm
I've had very little water today. I've been drinking more tea becuase I can't seem to drink water when it gets cold out.
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 06:18 pm
Thanks for that informative link!! I tend to be a chronic water over consumer. I have Sjogren's Syndrome & consequently my mouth is constantly dry as a desert, my tongue burns all the time, my teeth are literally falling apart and and I sometimes suffer from an inflammation of the esophagus (but NOT due to acid reflux) ALL caused
by a lack of saliva. One can never realize the importance of a simple substance like saliva until you don't have it. There are many other symptoms worse than this, that are part of Sjogren's. It is actually another whole auto-immune disease, like my rheumatoid arthritis.
I tend to get hypokalemia rather than hyponatremia. I get enough salt,
but not sufficient potassium in my diet. It's hard to eat enough bananas to make up for what I lose. Every few months I need to take prescription strength potassium supplement to stay balanced.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 06:43 pm
During the week, generally 1 gallon a day. Sometimes a little less, sometimes a little more.

I don't drink a lot of water on the weekends. Too lazy.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 06:49 pm
ounces? Shocked i drink 1 1/2 - 2 liters per day, on the day of training probably up to a gallon. geeze, that sounds like a lot.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 07:26 pm
I just open a new gallon and drink it right from the jug. Easy.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 09:09 pm
Wow, a gallon!

Babs - that disease sounds aweful! I'm so sorry for you.....
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 01:13 pm
ehBeth wrote:
I used to work with a nurse who used to work in a psychiatric hospital - there is actually a psych diagnosis that has excessive water-drinking as a symptom, and people can drink enough water to kill themselves through the imbalance of their electrolytes.

LA Times

Quote:
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 01:16 pm
I've been reading about that. Stupid, stupid, radio station.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 01:27 pm
I was reading about that, too. I'd only heard of it happening with serious sports-o-philes. Runners, chugging water and passing out.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 01:34 pm
I've gotten light headed from chugging a lot of water in a short period. When I was in college sometimes I'd drink most of a gallon within 1/2 hour before going to the gym, and I'd get a buzzed feeling.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 01:37 pm
Says here that a nurse called into the station to warn them -

http://www.playfuls.com/news_10_9225-Water-Drinking-Contest-Winner-Shocked-By-US-Death-Of-Rival.html
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 01:44 pm
It had to have been a hell of a lot more than 2 litres....that's nothing. Probably 2-3 gallons.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 01:55 pm
BBC article on the mechanism of the kidney failure, etc. -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/6263029.stm

I've no idea about the volume myself. I do remember some article a few years ago mentioning that a lot of the distress in marathon runners can be attributed to too much water intake versus too little. Don't know if that was corroborated. Electrolytes matter too..
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 06:17 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
It had to have been a hell of a lot more than 2 litres....that's nothing. Probably 2-3 gallons.

2 litres can do it - depends on a lot of other stuff, but it's possible

~~~~~~

The whole thing was stupid in so many ways.

Sure hope the station's lawyer has good E and O coverage.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 06:21 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Sure hope the station's lawyer has good E and O coverage.

If the station consulted a lawyer who did not immediately nix the idea, said lawyer should be disbarred.

I suspect they did not.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 06:33 pm
Well, given the contest was re not peeing....

Ay yi yi.

I can envision a dj, paid, after all, to make things interesting, not listening to the nurse who called in. I can imagine not running it by the boss, if you are a major personality, or trying to be. So... station management - to me - should have a run it by me rule. Which makes me wonder if they did.

I followed some of the comments on at least one site, and the folks are quite forgiving of the station as doing an accidental harm, or at least those I looked at were.

I guess in the lonnnnnng run, I think people with influence on the public aren't as widely educated, or, in lieu of formal ed, not as grounded in common sense, as could be.

Which... will always be true.

I can see a conflict between creative entertainment and possible harm.
Good reason for lawyers there, at least re checking first.
0 Replies