How many glasses of water do YOU drink?

littlek

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 08:01 pm
Someone in french history did, or was the roman history? So sad. So, what was M de S's deal?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 08:07 pm
He was the guy who made masochists happy!
Link to the Marquis de Sade
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 08:21 pm
Whoowee - what a guy.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 09:11 pm
Now I shall show my ignorance. How does drinking water stop chapped lips? I mean, I get chapped lips cause I have an annoying habit of licking them in the cold weather. Are chapped lips now a sign of dehydration (I knew bright red lips were, not chapped though).
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 09:17 pm
I put a coat of Chapstick over my lipstick. Most lipsticks are very drying.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 09:26 pm
I use chapstick, too, Phoenix. More I think about it, more I think drinking the water is gonna wash off the chapstick and result in chapped lips. Still don't know why it cures them.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 09:28 pm
bandylu- Keep it in your pocket, and just add more. I just put some more on as I was reading your answer!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 09:29 pm
The water will prevent the dehydration from the inside. You can get chapped lips from dehydration or environmental causes - wind, sun etc. So a decent amount of liquid for keeping you moist from the inside, and chapstick for keeping those lips lush :wink:

(i heard a funny documentary on CBC1 a while back, about chapstick addicts)
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 09:30 pm
It's got something to do with the water balance in your body, what do I know, it works for me!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 09:33 pm
Link to "Chapstick Addiction"
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 09:43 pm
And here I thought smoking was my only vice. Guess I'll have to try weaning myself off the chapstick and just let my lips crack.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 09:44 pm
Okay, it looks like I'm getting enough water - but what kind. Both at work and at home it's water prepared by reverse osmosis. Is this better than tap water, worse, or doesn't make any difference? I think I once heard it flushes out potassium or something like that.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 09:45 pm
I dunno about the different treatments, Roger! The way I see it, any filtered water will be better for you than tap water.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 09:46 pm
The filtered water takes out a lot of the impurities.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 09:51 pm
As long as the filter is kept clean, you're in business. They did some tests here in Toronto. The tap water was cleaner than most water people were filtering at home - they weren't changing the filters frequently enough. Some people who used Brita-type systems had never changed the filters in YEARS! Tap water in most communities has less bacteria than most bottled waters.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 10:27 pm
bacteria - yes, heavy metals - depends. You can always treat a bacterial imbalance....
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 11:59 pm
I don't think it's possible to drink TOO much water
and I'm sure that most of us don't drink enough But that
doesn't count because unless it is store bought water, it
could be very bad for your health. Isn't that a hoot???
We PAY for good, clean water but it isn't, so then we go
to the store to pay for good clean water in 1 gal, or 5 gal
containers. Actually, figuring the price of 1gal at Walmart
and the 5 gal at the grocery store, I am way better off with
the 1 gal. I also have a massively hard time with a 5 gallon
jug of water, here I am, Mrs Rheumatoid Arthritis of the year....
I'm lucky I can still pick up the phone. One interesting thing
that I noticed about returning to drinking water, is that your
"natural thirst" for water returns. One of my daughters drinks
almost nothing but Mountain Dew. Constantly. She started
to go into labor prematurely because she was so dehydrated
from all that caffeine and ZERO fluids. They pushed a bag of
fluids in her, the contractions went away, and she was ok.
She behaved better after that. But can you imagine???
The baby's environment must have been mighty toxic, to
make her go into premature labor.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 12:27 am
We have two separate water stores in a town of 37,000, not to mention a delivery service that deals mostly with businesses. This might say something about the taste and quality of our tap water. I own four 3 gal bottles and refill them for about .40/gal. I'm thinking of getting a friend a dispensing crock and one 2 gal bottle for Christmas. Hey, the stuff does weigh slightly over eight pounds per gallon.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 10:11 am
Theres a Spring Water Filling Station a block from me, I always wonder though, if Im actually paying to fill with the same water Im getting out of the sink but, see lots of people over there fillin up the jugs. Considering the area, Ive been told the tap water here is excellent, its not great but, it is drinkable. Says very little about the quality if you ask me.
The water I grew up on was actually so good that bottling companies wanted to purchase/package it, I dont know what ever happened there but, I thought that was funny.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 08:31 pm
Actually, babs, if you run or exercise for long periods, you CAN drink too much water:

http://www.hhp.ufl.edu/keepingfit/ARTICLE/toomuchwater.htm

There was a recent case of a marathoner who actually died from this (but I don't remember which marathon it was).
0 Replies