Ethical values in Religious & Modern America?

Fido

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 08:26 pm
@Jackofalltrades phil,
Jackofalltrades phil wrote:

Fil Albuquerque wrote:

This is a problem of public domain and Ethics in the first place...Religion is dust into the eyes of the people...this has nothing to do with Religion and all to do with respect for the majorities belief !

Majorities hegemony and assertion is an assault on an individuals freedom. Thats true, but here more than majorityism it is the believer's psychology which i see as a primary problem.
The idea that one's own belief system is the truthful version, and the rest are myths, lies and fiction; and so all my neighbours should also follow suit is hurting humanities cause.

This kind of a mentality is seen in an accentuated form mostly in the Abrahamic religions.
This one upmanship is bringing us on the brink of turmoil and chaos. Mahatma Gandhi had said that an eye for an eye will make the whole world blind.

As you hinted at, we seems to be blinded with descriptive religion for the sake of it, when in fact the prescription of religion no one seems to care about.

Freedom may be experienced individually, but it is protected and defend by society or not at all; and there is no free individual in a slave society... Rome found that it needed outrageously cruel laws to prevent the last freedom a slave possesses, and that is the freedom to injure his master, and so injure society... That is the freedom of that Southern preacher... His religion is no medicine for what ails this society, but is more poison for the common well...
0 Replies

Jackofalltrades phil

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 04:41 am
First of all, we should believe all religions are good and equal.
Fido

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 05:33 am
@Jackofalltrades phil,

Why believe any are good and equal??? They must be equal to an extent because they are identical, all are identifiable as religions... Few who practice religion would agree they are equal, because most, if not all, are divisive... From my perspective, good is as good does, and if there were not some good to Islam it would not keep a billion and a half people living in relative peace... But peace either does not seem to be a goal of Christianity, or we simply have moved beyond actual belief without stopping the social behavior of going to church and calling ourselves Christians...

I think religion is understandable in our past given our psychology, because we conceive of all things out of our sense range, spiritually... But the Muslims who once did so much for science and philosophy have dropped off edge into their own narrow world of belief and practice of Islam... I don't think they would trouble a soul if not troubled by us, if we did not put our sin and infidelity in their faces and lure them from the God... They feel threatened by us, as though our two visions of God cannot exist in the same space without one consuming the other....But, historically, our visions of God, as the God, or God the Father, are little different....Our practices set us apart, and our practice, works, will always reflect belief, and our works show we are unbelievers...

I do not like the turn their religion took into blind spiritualism... If one cannot learn about the God through reason, at least one may learn of reality, and perhaps, self... And here they are, trapped in a distant time, be dragged into the glare of the present, playing catch up in the worst possible way, in order to defend spiritualism which is a curse, and ignorance, which is folly....What do they learn, but medicine, chenistry, engineering, and physics... There is nothing wrong with their heads for with their heads they excel; but there is something wrong with their minds if they expect to turn their knowledge to our destruction, as many do... I don't blame them for wanting nukes, or chemical weapons; but the advantage in defense they hope for will make a worse hell hole of their hell holes....I think what they need are enough defense and survival skills to wait us out, because oil or not, our forms, our government, and economy are teetering on the edge of self destruction...

They are right to be scared of us and our immorality, but no one suffers immorality more than the immoral, and as a result we seek spiritual satisfaction and fulfilment more than ever... No honest person can deny the destructive quality of our economy and our existence... It is corrosion for the Soul, such as we can conceive of ourselves has having one... Our failed forms injure others and deny us our lives... We invest in our forms, our government, our economy, and our religions and get too little in return, and it makes us miserable and unhappy... What ever you can say about Islam... Those people are not miserable and unhappy.... Their forms work well enough for them to seek to preserve them... Ours do not... We just carry on...
Khethil

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 06:04 am
@Jackofalltrades phil,
I've been watching this thread for a while; meandering down its typical roads. At the very severe risk of re-addressing the core issues...
First there is a sustained opposition to a Mosque - to be build near WTC land - a distance of couple of hundred meters away, now we get a church leader who wants to burn a holy book.

Should the first amendment need a serious relook?

I've given this some serious thought and short answer: I don't think so.

Despite what our how our form of capitalism has lead to an oligarchical, blinding type of culture I actually believe that most of the basic constitutional elements were well founded and thought out.

How will America cope with such situations primarily motivated by religious sentimentsand conservative values. I think, two freedoms are being challenged 1) the freedom for practising own religion, and 2) the freedom of speech and expression.

They really have to be left alone (within limits, of course) to play out to fruition. We seem to do this a lot: Both freedoms get pushed to lengths that border on destructive; at which point we have to stop and decide just how far we're willing to go to protect these - at what point of expression do these 'guarantees' hurt more than help, so to speak. Despite the goodness I believe such conflicts can net, its dismaying to behold just how much of the national consciousness is lead around by "news" agencies whose only motivation is to get us riled up, pissed off or indignant. Because... well... that's what sells advertising slots.

Also, a political issue that springs is whether inter religious competition, and intra faith community centres and churchs competiting to get attention? Is it direct marketing?

Probably, of a sort. Though I'm not sure that's terribly pervasive here. I'm sure overt challenges can be interpreted as a "grab for attention"; and in that way represent a competition-based motive. But (at the risk of proclaiming the banal) not only is this not a new tactic, it tends to get reactions from those who'll knee-jerk freak out at just about anything. Which, unfortunately, tends to be a large majority of our population. It's like "trolling" in a way wherein someone simply wants to see how much of a reaction they can get. In both of these issues, they struck the motherload.

Neither the Mosque nor the Koran-Burning threat warranted national attention of any sort. We empower/embolden the fanatics when we lend it our ear. Neither deserved nothing more than a sigh.

Thanks
Jackofalltrades phil

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 06:23 am
@Fido,
The idea to invoke the concepts of equality and good ness was to achieve respectability and co-operation. Unless you do not acheive respect or at the least acceptability you cannot acheive harmony. It was a simple proposition.
Jackofalltrades phil

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 07:11 am
@Khethil,
Hi khethil nice to hear from you. Thanks for veering the discussion back on course. As you say it is 'typical'.

Khethil wrote:

First there is a sustained opposition to a Mosque - to be build near WTC land - a distance of couple of hundred meters away, now we get a church leader who wants to burn a holy book.

Despite what our how our form of capitalism has lead to an oligarchicad), blinding type of culture I actually believe that most of the basic constitutional elements were well founded and thought out.

I agree with you. In one of the posts in this thread I had said that I am not against the First Amendments (or to get rid of it, i think were the words used).

But I am equally serious when I harbour a thought on whether the First Amendment is being challenged by notions and acts of your citizens who take the right and freedom so enshrined in the constitution for granted.

In this case, a-pastor-planning-to-burn-the-Quran-on-9/11 case, we saw the American president, a power ful head of state, the commander in chief, the supreme head of the executive, almost pleading helplessly to a church leader of dubious distinction to not to go ahead a planned act which had world-wide repercussions. Why do you think this arose. My submission is that this menial pastor with his diabolic ideas was protected by First Amendment laws.

Look, the First Amendment laws and judgments interpreting its power and extent is a laudable principle's of which every American can be and should be proud off. But Modern America is a small child in the history of nationhood, culture and civilisations. No other nation has given such sweeping rights to an individual who by an act as simple as burning a Holy book can bring nations on a war -path. Imagine the consequences of a simple mischief.

I am all for freedom of speech and expressions. I wont tolerate if someone comes and tells me that you cannot say what you want. In which case, i may react by being more garrulous........ ha ha. But the moot point is I cannot abuse anyone including my child just because I get this funny feeling that I should show whose in control, or to help redress my damaged ego. If someone says that First amendment allows you to do that too, than please the barbarian society also allowed it. Whats the difference.

The First Amendment was a great acheivement thanks to your founders, and there are many, many other things that America has acheived in political philosophy, economics, science and education to which the world looks up to. But this solid acheivements are also marred with such aberrations.
Khethil wrote:

How will America cope with such situations primarily motivated by religious sentimentsand conservative values. I think, two freedoms are being challenged 1) the freedom for practising own religion, and 2) the freedom of speech and expression.

They really have to be left alone (within limits, of course) to play out to fruition. We seem to do this a lot: Both freedoms get pushed to lengths that border on destructive; at which point we have to stop and decide just how far we're willing to go to protect these - at what point of expression do these 'guarantees' hurt more than help, so to speak. Despite the goodness I believe such conflicts can net, its dismaying to behold just how much of the national consciousness is lead around by "news" agencies whose only motivation is to get us riled up, pissed off or indignant. Because... well... that's what sells advertising slots.

Dont you think this episode has 'played out (the rights) to fruition'. Yet in the sentence you have bracketed 'within limits'. Sir, how do you think those 'limits' can be set. Those limits has to be enacted. And the freedom as seen in the Constitution was put to the rigours of judicial opinion, no American government thought it fit to set any kind of limits.
Khethil wrote:

Also, a political issue that springs is whether inter religious competition, and intra faith community centres and churchs competiting to get attention? Is it direct marketing?

Khethil wrote:

Neither the Mosque nor the Koran-Burning threat warranted national attention of any sort. We empower/embolden the fanatics when we lend it our ear. Neither deserved nothing more than a sigh.
Thanks

Sorry, thats your opinion which is typical of people who does not want to concern themselves with religious or political issues. But societies doesnot work that way, if your national media had not made it an issue, the pastor would have done what he intended to do. A small innocous note at the bottom of the last page in a newspaper or a home-made video made by one parishner or witness of that event and put on you-tube is enough to spark reaction as wild and diabolic as the 9/11 attack. Just like some Americans that day woke up to know they lived in world where other view-points exist.

People were at a loss to understand why the attack took place. And yet people are not coming to terms with it. If you believe that by ignoring the pastor nothing would have happenend is still trying to live in denial.
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 07:56 am
@Jackofalltrades phil,

Yes I do understand what you mean when you say [ We should BELIEVE all religions are good and equal. I on the other hand think that we should consider using thoughts and wonder about it, and then decide for ourselves weather it is true or not. Maybe it has some good to it but does the good outweigh the bad?

I do not hate anyone or any religion I do however think that there is a problem with Believing in something that has no scientific evidence to back it up.
We are seen as crazy when we BELIEVE in things that can not be proven but all bets are off the table when it concerns religion, because then you can say anything.

I think that we should call it what it is "A psychological problem"
When I say that, " I am not being hateful I am only saying that it is not a logical way for the brain to perceive reality, I can see how it could be useful to mask our minds from reality at times of bad events such as death. But are we sure that this is best for mankind as a whole?
The reason I ask is because of all the bagage that comes with religion.
Khethil

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 08:47 am
@Jackofalltrades phil,

Hi khethil nice to hear from you. Thanks for veering the discussion back on course. As you say it is 'typical'.

Khethil wrote:

Despite what our how our form of capitalism has lead to an oligarchicad), blinding type of culture I actually believe that most of the basic constitutional elements were well founded and thought out.

But I am equally serious when I harbour a thought on whether the First Amendment is being challenged by notions and acts of your citizens who take the right and freedom so enshrined in the constitution for granted.

In this case, a-pastor-planning-to-burn-the-Quran-on-9/11 case, we saw the American president, a power ful head of state, the commander in chief, the supreme head of the executive, almost pleading helplessly to a church leader of dubious distinction to not to go ahead a planned act which had world-wide repercussions. Why do you think this arose. My submission is that this menial pastor with his diabolic ideas was protected by First Amendment laws.

Yes, I believe you're correct. Its my understanding that such actions (as long as they don't violate other laws) constitute "expression" which our supreme court uses synonymously with "speech", as phrased in the constitution. I can burn a flag as long as I don't do it in a way that burning anything else could be illegal. Our President couldn't order or prohibit him to do this; its simply not within his power.

If I take your meaning properly, I'd have to say this: This is an idealistic notion, that expression (even if destructive on other fronts) is protected. Yes it leads to many problems. But it seems to be held in extremely high esteem; almost deified to the extent that we'll put up with a whole lot of repercussions just to see it held true.

Look, the First Amendment laws and judgments interpreting its power and extent is a laudable principle's of which every American can be and should be proud off. But Modern America is a small child in the history of nationhood, culture and civilisations. No other nation has given such sweeping rights to an individual who by an act as simple as burning a Holy book can bring nations on a war -path. Imagine the consequences of a simple mischief.

I agree completely. We're still struggling to gain a sense of "self" that's aside from what we do and are. Many of us are well aware that our heritage is - almost completely - inherited from other countries. For those that have thought this through, it - itself - is a source of pride. For those who feel a burning need to distinguish themselves on par with other, long established nations, they'll seek to imbue something to replace that lack.

And I'd agree that this is perhaps a learning curve - that maybe we'll find a way to protect the individual's right to expression without causing so damned much rippling effects. That such actions DO cause widespread effects may very well have more to do with the ubiquitous nature of our media than anything else. Even so, your point is well taken. Is there a balance? I honestly don't know. I do know that wherever humans are given a trump-card (your right to do <this> is protected!), they'll abuse it.

Khethil wrote:

Dont you think this episode has 'played out (the rights) to fruition'. Yet in the sentence you have bracketed 'within limits'. Sir, how do you think those 'limits' can be set. Those limits has to be enacted. And the freedom as seen in the Constitution was put to the rigours of judicial opinion, no American government thought it fit to set any kind of limits.

I'm no expert (and I trust that someone will set me straight if I stray), but every right has an innate limit. For example, I have the right to keep and bear arms... but that doesn't include a tactical nuclear warhead. The reasoning: Its volatility to cause more pain then harm outweighs my 2nd Amendment Rights. I also have the right to free speech, but I can't mischievouisly yell "Fire! Fire!" in a perfectly safe crowded space without repercussions for the same reason. This is what I mean by within limits.

These limits are, as I mentioned, where we constantly come to a questioning-point. The more spurious or vague the situations is, the more controversy there is. There are the purists, the pragmatists, anarchists and more - each with their own take on where such limits should be. Toss into the mix the ignorant, the educated, the liberal and the conservatists and it becomes more complicated. I'd expect that any nation whose bestowed any 'basic rights' would have to go through this "where are my limits?"-process.
Khethil wrote:

Khethil wrote:

Sorry, thats your opinion which is typical of people who does not want to concern themselves with religious or political issues.

No, that an opinion of a mind that acknowledges there are, at any time, millions of people doing horrible things that - if known - might enrage us all. Should we give all them our immediate attentions? Absolutely not.

"This is typical" is quite unfair and unseemly. I have the utmost concern for religious and political issues. Nothing within my post indicated otherwise. What's more, below, you seem to assert my point that such things shouldn't have been made such a big to-do. So your remark of derision leave me somewhat perplexed.

Just like some Americans that day woke up to know they lived in world where other view-points exist.

Foul. I've spent more time overseas than probably 95% of my countrymen and - as a result - consider myself a human first, and a citizen of the United States 2nd (if even that). Take care of your stereotyping - as we converse like this lets not assume we know the backgrounds of those to whom we speak. And while I'd readily admit that many (perhaps even most) citizens of the U.S. fail to embrace a world view, please keep in mind that this is not the whole story.

People were at a loss to understand why the attack took place. And yet people are not coming to terms with it. If you believe that by ignoring the pastor nothing would have happenend is still trying to live in denial.

This is bad form to link "the attack" to actions of this nutcase's supposed fame. "The attack" has many motiviations; some of which this nation brought upon itself, some it didn't. But that's a separate conversation.

To ignore nutcases radicals like this is not a good course of action?

All places, all nations, have their radicals and fools who do such things - no one is exempt. I believe to give a large voice to such destructive elements (as was done by the media) is to not only spread that hatred abroad, but also rewards the doer. So no, I can't agree with you here. If we don't ignore these idiots, what would you suggest be done with them?

Thanks for your reply.
Jackofalltrades phil

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 09:04 am
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

I do not hate anyone or any religion I do however think that there is a problem with Believing in something that has no scientific evidence to back it up.
We are seen as crazy when we BELIEVE in things that can not be proven but all bets are off the table when it concerns religion, because then you can say anything.

......................... But are we sure that this is best for mankind as a whole?
The reason I ask is because of all the bagage that comes with religion.

Hi RL.......... i am more than glad to hear from you.
I agree with you, and I also concur to the suggestion you implied in the penultimate sentence. It is not best for the mankind.

I am sorry for a slight indiscretion on my part. The reference to my quote in one sentence was misleading as i didnot refer it to whom that was addressed to. The 'we' was in fact a refrence to all believers. But since I am not a believer, i have done a moral wrong in accommodating myself in that group. This also lead to believe that i am refering to all people.

While i understand your point of view, and since we have debated on Ethics before, we should also be particular about this Believing v/s Non-believing debate. I am not going to get into that now. May be in another thread.

I should clarify and perhaps qualify that statement. I was tempted to state a quotation by swami Vivekananda who in 1893 World Congress of Religions in Chicago said that 'All Religions are true'. This astounded all theologists at that time.

We - as in the non-believers are also a kind of proselytizers. We sort of clamour about how Religion is bad, shout down, argue and debate on the merits and demerits. But, we also lose sight of th efact that 70-90 percent of the worlds populations were believing in some kind of religion or belief system. Just because of a few fanatics, and their evil deeds - the contrast and irony of fundamentalist conservative religionists are evil - is causing a general backlash against all things in th erealm of faith. This outright rejection should not be brought into this debate now, as the immediate priority is to buy peace.

So whether thesists are pretenders, or whether athesits are better ethicists is an entirely different debate. Wherever there is differenecs from the religious angle, than we are trying to talk within that given paradigm and not holistically appealing to good sense on what is right and wrong, whether true or false.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 10:24 pm
@Jackofalltrades phil,

The idea to invoke the concepts of equality and good ness was to achieve respectability and co-operation. Unless you do not acheive respect or at the least acceptability you cannot acheive harmony. It was a simple proposition.

Because we are for the most part born Christian, we never put our own religion to the tests we reserve for other religions; and because we have reached a sort of quasi level of acceptence of Christian Diversity, we never ask what collections of nutty ideas are some of our faiths, which are so many, and varied, that not all can be truely Christian...Unless Christian as a term is a one size fitzall... All I am saying is that no matter what you think of Islam, it has clearly worked for those people... They do not have the technological development, but neither did the have carte blanc to exploit people to the point of death and beyond as in our culture, with the support of religion... All in all, harmony would be cool, but we are way short of equality in most respects... Two thousand years of Christianity, and a thousand years of western law based primarily on the laws of Justinian has not made us a better people, or a more peaceful place...
0 Replies

Jackofalltrades phil

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 12:03 am
@Khethil,
Khethil wrote:

If I take your meaning properly, I'd have to say this: This is an idealistic notion, that expression (even if destructive on other fronts) is protected. Yes it leads to many problems. But it seems to be held in extremely high esteem; almost deified to the extent that we'll put up with a whole lot of repercussions just to see it held true.

I thank you for putting things in perspective. Deification of some rights which has repercussions elsewhere needs a serious look by policy makers, legislators and judiciary. That sums it up.
Khethil wrote:

For those who feel a burning need to distinguish themselves on par with other, long established nations, they'll seek to imbue something to replace that lack.

You have hit the nail at the right spot. You have diagonised the problem. That the vital first step.
Khethil wrote:

And I'd agree that this is perhaps a learning curve - that maybe we'll find a way to protect the individual's right to expression without causing so damned much rippling effects. That such actions DO cause widespread effects may very well have more to do with the ubiquitous nature of our media than anything else. Even so, your point is well taken. Is there a balance? I honestly don't know. I do know that wherever humans are given a trump-card (your right to do <this> is protected!), they'll abuse it.

I can't agree with you more
Khethil wrote:

These limits are, as I mentioned, where we constantly come to a questioning-point. The more spurious or vague the situations is, the more controversy there is. There are the purists, the pragmatists, anarchists and more - each with their own take on where such limits should be. Toss into the mix the ignorant, the educated, the liberal and the conservatists and it becomes more complicated. I'd expect that any nation whose bestowed any 'basic rights' would have to go through this "where are my limits?"-process.

You have again analysed the problem exactly the way i would look at it. I am completely in sync with you. And I am sure there are many in the American intelligentsia, of which you are representative here, has similar views. But when you bring my limits you are thinking that people should think morally. In the civic sense, those limits are to be set in black and white. Even if 99 % of populated consider their actions, legislation is required for the 1% who may not think about moral repercussions. Because it as you said all are not intelligent, and for such action punitive measures need to be put in place so that the judiciary can act accordingly. The legal principle of 'reasonable restrictions' has to come into play where such sweeping power and freedom is bestowed as is the case in the First Amendment laws. Even trump cards have riders to its effect.

Khethil wrote:

Quote:

Sorry, thats your opinion which is typical of people who does not want to concern themselves with religious or political issues.

No, that an opinion of a mind that acknowledges there are, at any time, millions of people doing horrible things that - if known - might enrage us all. Should we give all them our immediate attentions? Absolutely not.

"This is typical" is quite unfair and unseemly. I have the utmost concern for religious and political issues. Nothing within my post indicated otherwise. What's more, below, you seem to assert my point that such things shouldn't have been made such a big to-do. So your remark of derision leave me somewhat perplexed.

I am extremely sorry for using that phrase. The words 'typical' should have been 'usual'. I am not very good at language skills. In hindsight I should have seperated my points in sentences. You took it very personally, which was not my intention as i thought it was clear that it is one of the usual responses by people who are disturbed by such events and the coverage in the media. Its a general perspective. And an intelligent man can also have a genral perspective. Nothing wrong in it. I just pointed out, in a rather 'typical manner' sorry, i don't subscribe to that view, and gave th ereason in the same sentence. No bad intention here. We should not have an ill feeling, yes I agree it may have tasted bad, and you were undoubtedly perplexed. My apology. It was indiscrete on my part.

Khethil wrote:

Just like some Americans that day woke up to know they lived in world where other view-points exist.

Foul. I've spent more time overseas than probably 95% of my countrymen and - as a result - consider myself a human first, and a citizen of the United States 2nd (if even that). Take care of your stereotyping - as we converse like this lets not assume we know the backgrounds of those to whom we speak. And while I'd readily admit that many (perhaps even most) citizens of the U.S. fail to embrace a world view, please keep in mind that this is not the whole story.

This time I need to cry 'foul'........ When i said 'some Americans', it did not mean you. Please, you are distorting my words. I am sorry, you have taken those words too personally. If i had in mind you as khetil the person, i would have not hesitated to use that word 'you' and be direct. I believe in plain and simple talking.

Khethil wrote:

This is bad form to link "the attack" to actions of this nutcase's supposed fame. "The attack" has many motiviations; some of which this nation brought upon itself, some it didn't. But that's a separate conversation.

To ignore nutcases radicals like this is not a good course of action?
All places, all nations, have their radicals and fools who do such things - no one is exempt. I believe to give a large voice to such destructive elements (as was done by the media) is to not only spread that hatred abroad, but also rewards the doer. So no, I can't agree with you here. If we don't ignore these idiots, what would you suggest be done with them?

Were you saying that to ignore is a good course of action.
Although you may have slipped the 'not' in there mistakenly (see the underline). I think i can understand you. But inadvertently you have stated my case. I am saying that such nutcases should be shown their proper place. You seem to take the opposite view-point. No problem, we than agree to disagree. I had given the reason, why even if the media ignored him, how the free 'expression' would have made known to the world anyway, where people are getting less dependent upon mainstream media controlled news and information systems. But you seem to ignore that, and apparently believes that no reactions would take place. Fine. Thats it.

Anyway, i will try and correct my style which has some inherent weeknesses.
0 Replies