Ethical values in Religious & Modern America?

msolga

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 05:12 am
This may or may not be of any interest to the participants of this thread. But it's of interest to me, so I'll post, anyway ...

I was reading an Australian thread yesterday, related to the proposed Koran burning event in Florida. Time after time posters expressed dismay or incomprehension at the emphasis on freedom of expression in the US, with little (apparent) regard for responsibility ... for the consequences of such inflammatory words.

One poster asked, if ownership of a copy of the Koran meant that it could be legitimately publicly burned under the US constitution, would the same freedom of expression apply to a ritual burning of the US flag that one owned? I have no idea, but from a very quick reading of the first amendment, it appears that this might also be deemed to be OK as an act of freedom of expression.

Could someone in the know enlighten me, please?

Quote:
The First Amendment (Amendment I) to the United States Constitution is part of the Bill of Rights. The amendment prohibits the making of any law "respecting an establishment of religion", impeding the free exercise of religion, infringing on the freedom of speech, infringing on the freedom of the press, interfering with the right to peaceably assemble or prohibiting the petitioning for a governmental redress of grievances.

http://en.wikipedia.org

Thomas

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 05:47 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
One poster asked, if ownership of a copy of the Koran meant that it could be legitimately publicly burned under the US constitution, would the same freedom of expression apply to a ritual burning of the US flag that one owned? I have no idea, but from a very quick reading of the first amendment, it appears that this might also be deemed to be OK as an act of freedom of expression.

As it happens, this very question made its way to the US Supreme Court back in the eighties. The court's answer was "yes": Burning an American flag is protected under the freedom of speech, and Texas's law criminalizing such expressive conduct was unconstitutional. The case is Texas v. Johnson. But your correspondent had the right idea: the court struggled with this case, and ended up deciding it 5:4.
msolga

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 05:50 am
@Thomas,
Ah. Thank you, Thomas!

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 06:33 am
@Thomas,
So US states can have laws which don't uphold the US constitution?

Does a state law like this one become invalid after such Supreme Court ruling?

(I'm confused.)

Quote:
In 1984, in front of the Dallas City Hall, Gregory Lee Johnson burned an American flag as a means of protest against Reagan administration policies. Johnson was tried and convicted under a Texas law outlawing flag desecration. He was sentenced to one year in jail and assessed a $2,000 fine. After the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals reversed the conviction, the case went to the Supreme Court.

http://www.oyez.org/cases/1980-1989/1988/1988_88_155
Fido

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 07:41 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

This may or may not be of any interest to the participants of this thread. But it's of interest to me, so I'll post, anyway ...

I was reading an Australian thread yesterday, related to the proposed Koran burning event in Florida. Time after time posters expressed dismay or incomprehension at the emphasis on freedom of expression in the US, with little (apparent) regard for responsibility ... for the consequences of such inflammatory words.

Quote:
The First Amendment (Amendment I) to the United States Constitution is part of the Bill of Rights. The amendment prohibits the making of any law "respecting an establishment of religion", impeding the free exercise of religion, infringing on the freedom of speech, infringing on the freedom of the press, interfering with the right to peaceably assemble or prohibiting the petitioning for a governmental redress of grievances.

http://en.wikipedia.org

Calling the Holy Qu'ran burning an expression of religion is like calling Rape the violent expression of sexuality... It is the sexual expression of violence, and violence is its main intent and purpose... Violence is both the means and the object of this demonstration...To say hatred has some part in the worship of the God of love and peace is a filthy lie... No such thing is possible, and nothing like it is intended... It is behind what it appears to be from the front; a dispicable act of provocation, like kicking a person where they are sore... It is time to make peace...It is always time to make peace..
revelette

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 07:48 am
@Thomas,
Quote:
But it's also important to put that into perspective: Mr Petraeus would have no military objectives in Iraq for Mr. Jones to endanger if America hadn't invaded it because of Iraq's nuclear weapons and its links to Al Quaeda, neither of which existed, and both of which the American executive made up. Compared to this 100,000-lives problem, any moral problems raised by Pastor Jones's Quran burning are trivial

I agree about Iraq, however we got to deal with the reality we live in whether it is our (US) making or not. The reality is that we are involved with people of the Islamic faith in either trying to form alliances or fighting extremist in Muslim nations and a burning of the Quran is a extremely sensitive issue which may have adverse effects on what we are trying to accomplish in that capacity.

I am not saying he should not burn the books if he wants to as that is his right. However the president and the military and others will have to double up efforts to make it clear that although we have freedom of speech in the US the sentiments expressed by the Quran burning fellow is not one shared by most of the American people or that of the President.

The fellow might not have political views, he may just be against Islam for screwed religious reasons, but the consequences are political big time.
Fido

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 07:51 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

(I'm confused.)

Quote:
In 1984, in front of the Dallas City Hall, Gregory Lee Johnson burned an American flag as a means of protest against Reagan administration policies. Johnson was tried and convicted under a Texas law outlawing flag desecration. He was sentenced to one year in jail and assessed a $2,000 fine. After the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals reversed the conviction, the case went to the Supreme Court.

http://www.oyez.org/cases/1980-1989/1988/1988_88_155
U.S. States and localities can have laws which conflict with the U.S. Constitution if no one objects...People should be free from illegal search and ceasure, but a person only has protection in their home, so it is defined in action as a property right, and if a person has no property they have no right... There are many thousands of local ordinances that push the limit of political power, some times for good, and some times for bad who damage is so slight or effect is so limited that no one will bring suit against it... Corporations, even local governments as corporations never sleep... They can tax you to fight you in court... The system is rigged, but for corporations, forms if you will, like churches and businesses; they are given an advantage average people do not have so that the corporations will win in the end...
msolga

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 07:51 am
@revelette,
.. or perhaps he's just a crank, after his 15 minutes of fame?
Fido

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 07:54 am
@revelette,
revelette wrote:

Quote:
But it's also important to put that into perspective: Mr Petraeus would have no military objectives in Iraq for Mr. Jones to endanger if America hadn't invaded it because of Iraq's nuclear weapons and its links to Al Quaeda, neither of which existed, and both of which the American executive made up. Compared to this 100,000-lives problem, any moral problems raised by Pastor Jones's Quran burning are trivial

I agree about Iraq, however we got to deal with the reality we live in whether it is our (US) making or not. The reality is that we are involved with people of the Islamic faith in either trying to form alliances or fighting extremist in Muslim nations and a burning of the Quran is a extremely sensitive issue which may have adverse effects on what we are trying to accomplish in that capacity.

I am not saying he should not burn the books if he wants to as that is his right. However the president and the military and others will have to double up efforts to make it clear that although we have freedom of speech in the US the sentiments expressed by the Quran burning fellow is not one shared by most of the American people or that of the President.

The fellow might not have political views, he may just be against Islam for screwed religious reasons, but the consequences are political big time.

It is not his right... It is not anyone's right to injure another person emotionally or physically for no damned good purpose and that clown preacher cannot show a good purpose...He ought to be flogged for creating a hazard and a nuisance.... He is a criminal...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 07:56 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

.. or perhaps he's just a crank, after his 15 minutes of fame?
What he is after is a pine box and a ton of dirt in his face; but in the process of getting there he will cause a lot of anguish, and injury very likely to result in deaths on both sides...He is an idiot...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 08:03 am
@Fido,
I find myself worrying for vulnerable minorities in a situation where it sounds like anyone can say pretty much whatever they choose with total immunity. Those who have neither the confidence, the standing in the community or the numbers to defend themselves. It must feel terribly oppressive to be an established, law abiding US Muslim & just have to wear such garbage sprouted by some fruitcake in Florida ... & to know that he's perfectly within his rights to spew such divisive poison.
Jackofalltrades phil

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 08:34 am
This guy addressing himself as a Reverend is backing off. Or so it seems.

However, this episode brings to focus on the question proposed in the OP whether it is time to have a relook at the First Amendment rights.

I think the First Amendment needs an amendment. Hope you agree.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 08:45 am
@Thomas,
I don’t have any sources explicitly stating that Jones is using his planned book burning to recruit new members. However, given that, in general, Christian churches proselytize, I'm merely inferring that Jones is trying to attract like-minded, Islam hating individuals to his church through this attention grabbing stunt of his.

Isn’t this 100,000-lives problem itself a moral problem raised by Pastor Jones's Quran burning?
Jackofalltrades phil

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 09:49 am
@InfraBlue,
If I may come in, even if you hypothesise that the paster whateverhisname wants to attract like-minded individuals, and so may not be true, he is anyway doing a highly immoral act.

The immorality is evident from the clear and explicit violation of the doctrine of peace, doctrine of peaceful-coexistence, doctrine of not causing hatred among groups and so on and so forth. This violation is loud and clear by the reactions pouring in from all sides. The General of the Army has given some statement, but his appeal is a lame and selfish position to take.

While the life of soldiers is important, the question should be how a religious person, as assumed by his job or vocation can be allowed to burn someones elses article of faith and reverence. The scriptures are not merely books. Books are just instruments to communicate. The words in the scriptures is the basis on which many humans adhering to those authority conduct their daily lifes, whether christains, muslims, hindus, or jews. It is in their consciousness. (I do not adhere to those authorities or to any religion or groups)

A mere burning of a book called The Holy Quran in the backyard of a nondescrpit church is not the problem, the problem is the public posturing and political agenda to score some points over something which is the cause of worry. The burning of 200 books in public exhibition is and will be considerred as an assault on the entire faithfuls and their beliefs, around the world.

Whether the act is conforming to The American Consitution is not relevent at all, and whether the act can be compared with flag burning is highly inappropriate.

Societies carries out its function on the principle of ethical behaviour in Public life. This guy has no such principles as his action seems to suggest.

Even as he violates all such doctrines and principles followed by a majority of societies and people at large, the excuse that it is legally permissible in America cannot be condoned for the simple reason that it is indeed a highly immoral idea, and an unpardonable unethical behaviour .
Fido

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 10:57 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

I find myself worrying for vulnerable minorities in a situation where it sounds like anyone can say pretty much whatever they choose with total immunity. Those who have neither the confidence, the standing in the community or the numbers to defend themselves. It must feel terribly oppressive to be an established, law abiding US Muslim & just have to wear such garbage sprouted by some fruitcake in Florida ... & to know that he's perfectly within his rights to spew such divisive poison.

Where do you get that he is within his rights...If he were to do that in River Rouge he would be inciting to riot, clearly a criminal act... Let him show where the demeaning of Muslims or of any other religious belief is part of the practice of his religion and let him stand and be judged by other Christians on the basis of his words or action as to whether he represents a religion or a cult of hate... You must understand that the free exercise of religion is our right, and we have the right to demand that our rights not be used to abuse others like ourselves or ourselves in the exercise of our faith...This right is our protection from government, but no government should stand by and say it can do nothing about an open and egregious injury to any group by another... Some times people need protection from religions as well as religions needing protection from government... It is a line government should dare to walk, or it is worthless, and it is worthless..
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 11:05 am
@Jackofalltrades phil,
Jackofalltrades phil wrote:

If I may come in, even if you hypothesise that the paster whateverhisname wants to attract like-minded individuals, and so may not be true, he is anyway doing a highly immoral act.

The immorality is evident from the clear and explicit violation of the doctrine of peace, doctrine of peaceful-coexistence, doctrine of not causing hatred among groups and so on and so forth. This violation is loud and clear by the reactions pouring in from all sides. The General of the Army has given some statement, but his appeal is a lame and selfish position to take.

While the life of soldiers is important, the question should be how a religious person, as assumed by his job or vocation can be allowed to burn someones elses article of faith and reverence. The scriptures are not merely books. Books are just instruments to communicate. The words in the scriptures is the basis on which many humans adhering to those authority conduct their daily lifes, whether christains, muslims, hindus, or jews. It is in their consciousness. (I do not adhere to those authorities or to any religion or groups)

A mere burning of a book called The Holy Quran in the backyard of a nondescrpit church is not the problem, the problem is the public posturing and political agenda to score some points over something which is the cause of worry. The burning of 200 books in public exhibition is and will be considerred as an assault on the entire faithfuls and their beliefs, around the world.

Whether the act is conforming to The American Consitution is not relevent at all, and whether the act can be compared with flag burning is highly inappropriate.

Societies carries out its function on the principle of ethical behaviour in Public life. This guy has no such principles as his action seems to suggest.

Even as he violates all such doctrines and principles followed by a majority of societies and people at large, the excuse that it is legally permissible in America cannot be condoned for the simple reason that it is indeed a highly immoral idea, and an unpardonable unethical behaviour .

Part of the problem is that many denomenation believe they are above normal ethical considerations... They want to ban abortions, and they have a good moral reason for wishing an end to them, but the moment they seek to use the coercive power of the state to achieve their moral ends they have become immoral, because morality demands that you make the moral argument to people, and leave them the freedom to decide; and to take that freedom is to take the freedom with which they accept their God, because freedom is essential to morality, and no slave is ever moral, and no slave society is ever moral, because moral behavior is always accepted out of freedom...
Thomas

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 11:18 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Only until you sue the state in federal court for breach of your constitutional rights, and the court sides with you. Of course it can take years until your case makes it through the appeals process.

msolga wrote:

Yes.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 11:48 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
Calling the Holy Qu'ran burning an expression of religion is like calling Rape the violent expression of sexuality...

1) Whether the Quran is holy is a matter of opinion, on which a secular state like the United States will take no position.

2) No, the two actions are nothing alike. Burning a book physically violates paper, paper that belongs to you and is yours to violate. By contrast, rape physically violates a human, who is emphatically not yours to violate.

Fido wrote:
To say hatred has some part in the worship of the God of love and peace is a filthy lie...

Perhaps you want to do some more research on this. According to both the Bible and the Quran, God has vile and viscious things in store for nonbelievers. If you believe that hatred of nonbelievers---or at least murder of nonbelievers---has no part in worshiping God, both the Bible and the Quran disagree with you.

To get yourself into the mood, you might want to try this God vs. Allah Quiz at LandoverBaptist.com. (The correct answers are outragous, but the authors quote the verses to back them up in the resolution.)
Thomas

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 11:49 am
@revelette,
revelette wrote:

... which is the choice of the politicians who make it political, not Pastor Jones's. But since he blew it off, the point is moot now.
Setanta

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 11:52 am
Personally, i blame the media for treating the clown as though he were important.
0 Replies