Ethical values in Religious & Modern America?

Jackofalltrades phil

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 01:10 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

Need to get rid of the first amendment rights... People should have the right, but we see here a demonstration of institutional rights... Churches are corporations, and if corporation stand against the government in some of what the government does then great, if they are doing a public service, and can show it... If this church that wants to burn the Holy Qu'ran would do so in spite of deadly danger to our young soldiers, and in spite of the fact that many Christians still live in Muslim countries and are vulnerable then they are not just abusing their rights, but are being criminal...There is nothing conservative about their behavior...They have so long enjoyed rights that they have denied to the people that they want to step full time into the roll of tyrants...They are not conservative, but reactionary...

I am not for getting rid of the First Amendment. I am just seeing it being exploited to its last bit of elasticity. Now since religious groups are exploiting it, it is surely running the last stretch, i feel. No not premonitions, but a genuine feeling of disgust which leads to fear of disruptions of a peaceful society. The rights of freedom and the freedom of rights has been played out fully within the ambit of the First Amendment. Of course at first it looked like America has shown the world a principle which helps democracy and a free society to live to its full potential and enjoyment. The world looked upto to it, no nation followed it like tail.

Today, when it is played out in the guise of religious freedom and expression, and when that freedom comes face to face with another group who equally asserts for the same rights than surely those freedoms cannot infringe on others flesh or property.

Purely from the rights angle no one argues against or discourages the right to demonstrate or protest, but if those protests are basically to deny someone else their own rights of freedom including to the right to live in dignity and honour, than surely there is a breach of peace in the society. This issue thus becomes serious enough to consider all its effects of actions and reactions.

Purely from the ethical perspective, we tend to forget the cardinal principle of allowing your neighbour the same rights that you claim for yourself. In a democracy, one cannot discriminate legally, can you.

My case would be to impose restrictions on the protestors and the church pastors who are nothing but inciting one group against another to discriminate and violation of peace. The state can do that if so it wishes.
Jackofalltrades phil

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 01:17 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

I don't see how. "Political" means "of or relating to government, a government, or the conduct of government" (Mirriam-Webster). The US- and Florida governments are neither supporting nor impeding the Quran-burnings. The pastor isn't attempting to change the conduct of any American governments, federal, state, or local. So in what sense would the Quran-burnings relate to any governments, or to their conduct?

If you insist that thats the only meaning of the word 'political', i cannot pursue my point further. But to answer your last question-sentence, i would say it is very much related to sensitive governments which want to maintain oredr and peace in society. What use is governments for. Its their primary task. So even if we agree on your definition of the word, in my opinion, government has everything to do with it, and hence political.
Thomas

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 01:31 pm
@Jackofalltrades phil,
Jackofalltrades phil wrote:
If you insist that thats the only meaning of the word 'political', i cannot pursue my point further.

I'm not insisting on anything but the general principle that words have meanings. If you wish to endow the word "political" with a meaning that is not found in the leading dictionary of American English, that's fine with me. But you will at least have to define it. For bonus points, you could refer to an authority on English usage that actually uses the word "political" the way you do. Either way, you can't just use words to mean whatever you want them to. Not if you wish to communicate, anyway.

But to answer your last question-sentence, i would say it is very much related to sensitive governments which want to maintain oredr and peace in society.

There is nothing disorderly or warlike in purchasing a book and burning it. It's pastor Terry Jones's copy to burn.

What use is governments for.

Governments are instituted among people to secure their human rights, one of which is liberty---including the liberty to say the Quran is crap, and to burn a copy of it to make the point.
Fido

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 02:06 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

But are you serious, in the last part of your comments when you ask whether it is political or not. It is deeply political, thomas. Burning of a 'Holy' Book is deeply deeply political. Thanks.

I don't see how. "Political" means "of or relating to government, a government, or the conduct of government" (Mirriam-Webster). The US- and Florida governments are neither supporting nor impeding the Quran-burnings. The pastor isn't attempting to change the conduct of any American governments, federal, state, or local. So in what sense would the Quran-burnings relate to any governments, or to their conduct?

It is political because we are deeply involved with the world's Muslims, attacking some, and enticing others to be our friends, and the book burning interferes with these foreign policy considerations that are likely to affect us all... It is political because it attacks the equality and good standing of American Muslims, many of whom are good citizens, and entirely worthy of their equality and good standing... What does this book burning have to do with the free excercise of their religion??? If they foolow Jesus, they should consider that Jesus was only offensive in defense against the most obnoxious cupidity of human beings... Love and peace are not very unifying thoughts... Anyone can practice the arts of love or peace without resort to religion... What the preacher in this instance wants is what religions have always wanted, to have the support of the community by supoorting the common morality... The ignorant people hate Islam when there is nothing in Islam to Hate, and instead of leading the people to understanding, the preacher wants to lead the people in hate to have the political power of the people behind him...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 02:15 pm
@Jackofalltrades phil,
Quote:

Fido wrote:

Need to get rid of the first amendment rights... People should have the right, but we see here a demonstration of institutional rights... Churches are corporations, and if corporation stand against the government in some of what the government does then great, if they are doing a public service, and can show it... If this church that wants to burn the Holy Qu'ran would do so in spite of deadly danger to our young soldiers, and in spite of the fact that many Christians still live in Muslim countries and are vulnerable then they are not just abusing their rights, but are being criminal...There is nothing conservative about their behavior...They have so long enjoyed rights that they have denied to the people that they want to step full time into the roll of tyrants...They are not conservative, but reactionary...

The churches have had the right forever without needing it... The people took for granted the right of the preachers and priests to be involved in politics and in the most intimate details of people's lives for the good of the community, and many have been abused as a result... Many of those who will not go to church absolutely hate the churches and think quite rightly that they are filled with hypocrits...And Criminals... They now need to invoke their rights as never before because in this nation of many nations and many religions their actions designed to spread hate and disunion are correctly seen as unacceptible... Those actions injure people... There are victims, and there will be blood, and the pain they cause will demand revenge...They do not have the right, and no free preactice of religion is intended by them... Their actions are an attack of the Muslim practice of their religion...Their actions are an attack on the rights the assert...Which I guess means I agree with much of what follows

Quote:
I am not for getting rid of the First Amendment. I am just seeing it being exploited to its last bit of elasticity. Now since religious groups are exploiting it, it is surely running the last stretch, i feel. No not premonitions, but a genuine feeling of disgust which leads to fear of disruptions of a peaceful society. The rights of freedom and the freedom of rights has been played out fully within the ambit of the First Amendment. Of course at first it looked like America has shown the world a principle which helps democracy and a free society to live to its full potential and enjoyment. The world looked upto to it, no nation followed it like tail.

Today, when it is played out in the guise of religious freedom and expression, and when that freedom comes face to face with another group who equally asserts for the same rights than surely those freedoms cannot infringe on others flesh or property.

Purely from the rights angle no one argues against or discourages the right to demonstrate or protest, but if those protests are basically to deny someone else their own rights of freedom including to the right to live in dignity and honour, than surely there is a breach of peace in the society. This issue thus becomes serious enough to consider all its effects of actions and reactions.

Purely from the ethical perspective, we tend to forget the cardinal principle of allowing your neighbour the same rights that you claim for yourself. In a democracy, one cannot discriminate legally, can you.

My case would be to impose restrictions on the protestors and the church pastors who are nothing but inciting one group against another to discriminate and violation of peace. The state can do that if so it wishes.

0 Replies

Fido

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 02:18 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

If you insist that thats the only meaning of the word 'political', i cannot pursue my point further.

I'm not insisting on anything but the general principle that words have meanings. If you wish to endow the word "political" with a meaning that is not found in the leading dictionary of American English, that's fine with me. But you will at least have to define it. For bonus points, you could refer to an authority on English usage that actually uses the word "political" the way you do. Either way, you can't just use words to mean whatever you want them to. Not if you wish to communicate, anyway.

But to answer your last question-sentence, i would say it is very much related to sensitive governments which want to maintain oredr and peace in society.

There is nothing disorderly or warlike in purchasing a book and burning it. It's pastor Terry Jones's copy to burn.

Governments are instituted among people to secure their human rights, one of which is liberty---including the liberty to say the Quran is crap, and to burn a copy of it to make the point.

You do not purchace and burn the common property of a billion and a half people... You do not purchace to burn the common property of a billion and a half people except out of the deepest malignancy of spirit... They do not practice religion in that church, but hate, and hate is not protected by the constitution...
Thomas

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 03:55 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
You do not purchace and burn the common property of a billion and a half people...

Pastor Jones cannot burn that common property. He cannot burn the Quran's text, nor a billion believer's faith in it. All Pastor Jones can burn is a physical book in his personal possession. That's not an act of war, just expressive conduct stating his opinion. It's no different, in principle, from burning a draft card (which is illegal, but not because of the message it expresses), or from burning an American flag---which is legal, and justly so.
Fido

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 04:32 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Fido wrote:
You do not purchace and burn the common property of a billion and a half people...

Pastor Jones cannot burn that common property. He cannot burn the Quran's text, nor a billion believer's faith in it. All Pastor Jones can burn is a physical book in his personal possession. That's not an act of war, just expressive conduct stating his opinion. It's no different, in principle, from burning a draft card (which is illegal, but not because of the message it expresses), or from burning an American flag---which is legal, and justly so.

It is like burning the flag... A lot of people who get down right emotional, me too about the many good people who have laid down their lives under that banner... But I understand when people want to burn the flag because of the many who have spread injustice and misery with it, and because of all those who have hide their criminality behind it, waving it in the face of the patriotic while picking their pockets clean...The flag as been robbed of nearly all its meaning, meaning good to one and evil to another, so it no longer stands for unity and nation... The Holy Qu'ran has not been robbed of its meaning... It stands for honor, and faith, and family, and law to many diverse people... Do you want some half baked Christian having no sense of the meaning of his own faith spitting on your behalf in the faces of a billion and an half people??? Because I do not... We have every reason to respect those people... Their societies generally work better than our own and are more peacable... I would offer my respect to each and every one if it were possible, because they are true to their faith, and that is no mean feat... And I want to keep them peacable, because in our culture we expect peace before justice... They expect justice first, and I do not blame them, but their religion support them in peace and in mercy... We should not abuse the very book that makes them so tolerant...
0 Replies

Jackofalltrades phil

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 01:28 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Hi Thomas
you seem to be an intelligent man, but to cut short a lot of words let me guess what you are doing. You are deliberately playing blind.

I would not go into a rhetorical argument with subjective interpretation of constitutional law and moral laws. You are entitled to your views as you see it.

But on the meaning of 'political', here is two other definitions of the word.

political
A adjective
1 political

involving or characteristic of politics or parties or politicians; "calling a meeting is a political act in itself"- Daniel Goleman; "political pressure"; "a political machine"; "political office"; "political policy"

2 political

of or relating to your views about social relationships involving authority or power; "political opinions"

3 political

of or relating to the profession of governing; "political career"

source: wordreference/wordnet

Moreover, if you are willing to broaden your spectrum of understanding words, than you may realise that each social relationship whether between an individual and family, family and community, communities and groups, groups and societies are inherent ly political in nature. There fore, any religious group or denomination have a de facto political relationship not only within the group with each constituents but also with other players or institution in which they situate. Any act of inter-faith connotations is political, it does not necessarily mean that that act is concerning the state, of political power or of authority.

Please do not narrow the meaning of words to suit immediate concerns.
msolga

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 02:43 am
@Irishk,
Thank you very much for posting that, Irishk.
Much appreciated!
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 05:11 am
@Jackofalltrades phil,
In a polite society, politics are difficult to avoid...Politics are how the personality of any form of relationship are expressed... Every marriage has its politics, every job, every encounter on the street.. It is inevitable, and a challenge...
Jackofalltrades phil

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 06:31 am
@Fido,
Your exactly right......... it is time for informed people to go beyond dictionaries. One should also know etymiology of a concept-term. I like your reference to a polite society...thats an insight i gained.
However, we can see politics in every societies past or present, definitely in the future. My sociology professor once said........ politics invariably happens wherever self interest sets in, it happens even when two individuals or more are interacting and communicating with each other. This is the broader aspects of political relationship. Thanks
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 07:27 am
@Jackofalltrades phil,
you seem to be an intelligent man, but to cut short a lot of words let me guess what you are doing. You are deliberately playing blind.

Your capability of reading my mind leaves me unimpressed, as does your capability of sustaining your view with reasoning.

But on the meaning of 'political', here is two other definitions of the word.

political
A adjective
1 political

involving or characteristic of politics or parties or politicians; "calling a meeting is a political act in itself"- Daniel Goleman; "political pressure"; "a political machine"; "political office"; "political policy"

Useless for our purposes because it's self-referential: Look up "politics" or "politicians" in the same dictionary, and I bet you'll be back to "pertaining to government" or something of the kind.

2 political

of or relating to your views about social relationships involving authority or power; "political opinions"

Where is the authority or power in this case? Pastor Terry Jones exercises no authority and no power over anyone by burning his copy of the Quran.

Jackofalltradesphil wrote:
3 political

of or relating to the profession of governing; "political career"

In burning his copy of the Quran and encouraging others to do the same, Pastor Jones is not relating to the profession of governing. This act is nonpolitical unless you make it so---for example, by asking that those who govern us restrict the scope of the First Amendment.

Everyone can cut&paste definitions; but to make your point, you also have to show how your definition applies to the concrete facts of the case. And even by the definitions you offer, sending a religious message, even a hateful one, is not necessarily political. So tell me: under the definitions you offer, how is the act any more political than a New York Yankees fan saying hateful things about the Boston Red Sox?
revelette

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 08:10 am

Top US commander: Burning Quran endangers troops

Quote:
KABUL, Afghanistan – The top U.S. and NATO commander in Afghanistan warned Tuesday an American church's threat to burn copies of the Muslim holy book could endanger U.S. troops in the country and Americans worldwide.

Meanwhile, NATO reported the death of an American service member in an insurgent attack in southern Afghanistan on Tuesday.

The comments from Gen. David Petraeus followed a protest Monday by hundreds of Afghans over the plans by Gainesville, Florida-based Dove World Outreach Center — a small, evangelical Christian church that espouses anti-Islam philosophy — to burn copies of the Quran on church grounds to mark the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks on the United States that provoked the Afghan war.

"Images of the burning of a Quran would undoubtedly be used by extremists in Afghanistan — and around the world — to inflame public opinion and incite violence," Petraeus said in an e-mail to The Associated Press.

NATO Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen echoed those sentiments Tuesday, saying any burning "would be in a strong contradiction with the all the values we stand for and fight for."

Muslims consider the Quran to be the word of God and insist it be treated with the utmost respect, along with any printed material containing its verses or the name of Allah or the Prophet Muhammad. Any intentional damage or show of disrespect to the Quran is deeply offensive.

In 2005, 15 people died and scores were wounded in riots in Afghanistan sparked by a story in Newsweek magazine alleging interrogators at the U.S. detention center in Guantanamo Bay placed copies of the Quran in washrooms and flushed one down the toilet to get inmates to talk. Newsweek later retracted the story.

0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 10:27 am
Pastor Jones' planned book burning isn't political in the governmental sense in and of itself. It is political in the sense of societal relationships involving authority or power. Jones is aiming to gain attention and members to his church through this act. As such, this is a power play.

Politics in the governmental sense are involved in this case, however, because there have been responses of that political kind to Pastor Jones' planned book burning. The military branch of the government has criticized it because of its potential to harm US military objectives in Muslim countries, and the executive branch has issued statements of governmental opinion in regard to the planned book burning.

So, the planned book burning isn't political in the governmental sense, per se, but it has had implications thereof in that it has consequentially involved that kind of politics.
Jackofalltrades phil

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 11:32 am
@Thomas,
Quote:
So tell me: under the definitions you offer, how is the act any more political than a New York Yankees fan saying hateful things about the Boston Red Sox?

Hello Thomas

There are more than two posters who have written how the issue is political in their own ways. And yet you do not seem to get it.

Anyway, I am not here to convince you. Because others have got it before you.
But still i will pursue this point a bit more so that it may help you gain a perspective other than the sticky one you hold.

using your example, as the basis of a logic which we may derive, I would maintain and sustain my point about how hate messages of fans of NY Yankees against any other team or opposite fans is as much a political act as the act of a menial pastor of a church may do to draw attention to himslef and his church. In fact it is more political. Thats the straight answer.

BTW, you may not have realised, but the question you posed has exposed your position on the meaning of the word 'political', you thought you defending. So you accept that the fans does a political act by doing so. To what degree it is relevent is any one s guess. But certainly, a wise person like you knows that 'burning of the koran' is more political than the Yankee fans enthusiasm. Surely, this proves you are playing blind for what reason I cannot guess. But I am certainly not impressed either. Thanks
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 01:25 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
Pastor Jones' planned book burning isn't political in the governmental sense in and of itself. It is political in the sense of societal relationships involving authority or power. Jones is aiming to gain attention and members to his church through this act. As such, this is a power play.

There's no showing in any of the news reports I read that this is his motive. What the reports do consistently show (like this one from the Guardian for example) is that Mr.Could is motivated by an honest-to-god, so to speak, animosity towards Islam. Could you please cite the source of yours establishing that in addition to his anti-Islamism, Mr. Jones's motive is to recruit new members for his own church?

InfraBlue wrote:
The military branch of the government has criticized it because of its potential to harm US military objectives in Muslim countries,

Finally, a bona fide political issue. Thank you for that! My opinion on this issue is that, yes, Mr. Jones is adding to America's PR problem in the Muslim world. Yes, this probably will cost lives; and yes, this is a valid reason for Mr. Jones to abstain.

But it's also important to put that into perspective: Mr Petraeus would have no military objectives in Iraq for Mr. Jones to endanger if America hadn't invaded it because of Iraq's nuclear weapons and its links to Al Quaeda, neither of which existed, and both of which the American executive made up. Compared to this 100,000-lives problem, any moral problems raised by Pastor Jones's Quran burning are trivial.
Irishk

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 02:09 pm
I wonder of Angela Merkel will bring similar risk to Germany by honoring the Danish cartoonist, Kurt Westergaard.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6873CC20100908

Quote:
German Chancellor Angela Merkel risked angering Muslims by speaking at an awards ceremony on Wednesday for a Dane whose cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed provoked sometimes violent protests by Muslims five years ago.

[...]

0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 02:19 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

Politics in the governmental sense are involved in this case, however, because there have been responses of that political kind to Pastor Jones' planned book burning. The military branch of the government has criticized it because of its potential to harm US military objectives in Muslim countries, and the executive branch has issued statements of governmental opinion in regard to the planned book burning.

So, the planned book burning isn't political in the governmental sense, per se, but it has had implications thereof in that it has consequentially involved that kind of politics.

Everything is political, and every form of relationship has its politics, and religion, even cross religions, and judeo/christian religions are forms of relationship...Humanity is also a form of relationship, and one we must appeal to in this instance.... Islam cannot possibly be evil since they worship the very same God as us, by their own account, and they treat Christians as people of the book, which is not exactly with equality, but is with respect... And; this nonsense of burning the Book, the Holy Qu'ran is serious Non Sense; stupid, and cruel and criminal...It is not free religion, but hate religion, and their speech is not free speech; but hate speech... People do not own the Qu'ran... The Holy Qu'ran possesses all who respect Allah, and show mercy.... No one should tread upon the good intentions of another, and that Holy book represents the Good Intentions of millions past, and a billion and a half in the here and now...That nut case preacher does not have the right to do what is wrong, and he intends to wrong a great number of people and uses our respect for legitimate rights to do so... He needs to go to hell in a hurry...
0 Replies

Jackofalltrades phil

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 12:31 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Compared to this 100,000-lives problem, any moral problems raised by Pastor Jones's Quran burning are trivial.

The political act of 'burning the Koran on the anniversary of 9/11' is an act of great moral consequences.

As you seem to rely upon reports, as we discuss, there are reports which quote the pastor whatshisname expressing to cancel his planned 'immoral' act.

click the link here and also know how he had a political motive.
http://www.voanews.com/english/news/US-Pastor-Reconsidering-Plan-to-Burn-Qurans-102598059.html

He has, as the report suggest, taken recourse to an 'agreement'. What kind of an act and posturing is this? May we know.
0 Replies