Is there a reason to drive 10 miles per hour under the limit?

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2010 09:35 pm
The car in front of you is going 45 in a 55. You are dealing. You hit a speed zone. 45. What is the advantage of the car in front of you slowing to 35??

You KNOW you have all seen it! Now explain it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 20 • Views: 6,082 • Replies: 68

dyslexia

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2010 09:45 pm
@ibstubro,
I do that.
Roberta

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2010 09:48 pm
@ibstubro,
I haven't seen it, but I'll take your word for it. (It's not safe to assume.)
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2010 09:49 pm
@ibstubro,
Maybe they're tired and want to be safe?

Welcome to A2K, by the way! Wink
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2010 09:55 pm
I did that tonight .... for about 15 secs. Since everyone was going faster at Denver's evening traffic I drove as they do/did.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2010 09:57 pm
@dyslexia,
Sure. Underspeeding is just the opposite of drafting. Instead of being pulled along by the draft from the precedign vehicle, you get a little nudge from the following vehicle. Saves tons of gas.

I cannot recommend this technique when leading a tractor - trailer with a small sports car. Tends to get oil and skid marks on the tops of hood and trunk.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 07:53 am
@ibstubro,
ibstubro wrote:

The car in front of you is going 45 in a 55. You are dealing. You hit a speed zone. 45. What is the advantage of the car in front of you slowing to 35??

You KNOW you have all seen it! Now explain it?

The internal combusion motor only developes power with speed, rpms, and it is only efficient under a load, and when the load is wind on the road at high speed it is really inefficent... Maybe the people just smoked a big one and reality was coming at them too fast... Maybe they were drunk and feared to get a speeding ticket leading to greater adventures in law, or maybe they were just being obnoxious. There is no reason short of civility that anyone should follow the law one way or the other of respect others...If it were not such a danger, I would go drive the express way at rush our at or below the speed limit...I might even drive until I ran out of gas and walk, leaving the vehicle where it was, in the middle of the road...This thing is not doing us any good... We should all drag our feet on the way to the gas chamber...The harder we drive, the better the system works for the rich... Effem..
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 05:21 pm
AFAIK there is no minimum speed, except in posted areas.

It's an interesting observation of how we see ourselves that,
anyone going slower than me is an overly cautious bad driver
and
anyone going faster is a fool hardy speed demon seeking death.

The same phenomena can be recognized in other behaviors, but is very obvious on the highway.

I think it has something to do with how self centered we are.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 05:27 pm
@ibstubro,
-Has anyone mentioned the driver might be under the influence of alcohol? Or prescription medicine? Alot of people drive particularly slow when they're aware of their inebriatic state and hold a delusion that if they drive slowly enough they'll avoid being picked off by the police or at least keep better control of the vehicle when their senses and motor skills are sluggish due to the intoxication.
Region Philbis

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 05:30 pm
@tsarstepan,

either that or they're texting...
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 05:32 pm
@Region Philbis,
That's why many state governments and the federal government as well are running PSA's against this new driving epidemic: driving while texting which I'm sure is a generational (teenage/early 20's) thing.
dadpad

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 05:36 pm
Quote:
What is the advantage of the car in front of you slowing to 35??

1. Perhaps they arnt sure where they are going and need to look for a turn off.
2. Wiping off 10 miles per hour might mean the difference between killin somone and not hitting them at all.
How can 5km/h make a difference?
(note the graph is in Kilometers per hour)

In basic terms, as your travel speed increases, so does your risk of crashing and being seriously injured or killed.

The graph linked below depicts the relationship between travelling speed, stopping distance and impact.
http://www.tacsafety.com.au/static/WipeOff5.gif

http://www.tacsafety.com.au/jsp/content/PrintContent.do?areaID=13&pageID=211&tierID=2
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 05:37 pm
@tsarstepan,
Plus people can have emotional issues and either drive too fast or too slow. Or a raging headache. Or be faint from anemia. Be driving home from the doctor's office after a diagnosis. Not every one in all those cars is all swell all the time.

It's obvious people shouldn't drive in impaired states, of whatever cause, but they want to get home. Or not get home.
chai2

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 05:38 pm
If you smoke a joint, you'll drive realllllly slow.

I'll bet that's what it was.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 05:44 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
It's obvious people shouldn't drive in impaired states, of whatever cause, but they want to get home. Or not get home.

That's why cities and towns need to develop their own public transportation infrastructure so that those who are medically and/or physiologically impaired can have an option to get home without risking their lives or the lives of others.
shewolfnm

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 05:46 pm
There are times I just peddle along on the road.
Im usually singing at the top of my lungs and just enjoying my day.

I wont go TOO far under the posted limit. 10pms is about max. Going too slow can be just as dangerous as going too fast. Speeds are posted for a reason.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 05:56 pm
@tsarstepan,
So true. But even then, if they ordinarily used a car, they'd probably resort to it in moderate stress. (I live in a transportation deprived zone, it's amazing how lame.)

Back in LA years ago, I had an undiagnosed super anemia problem, and I discovered the extent on the freeway on a hot day. I got off, of course, and had surgery soon after. But .. that freeway, as we called them, or highway, carries many kinds of lives.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 06:04 pm
@chai2,
or....and I'm going to be so un-PC here, did you notice if the driver was Asian?

On the way home this afternoon, there was an accident on the highway. Cars driving slowly for a couple of miles. Then, coming around a curve, I could see firetruck light ahead, maybe, what? a 1/3 of a mile? The accident site. At that moment, looking in my rear view mirror, I see, about a 1/3 of a mile back, an ambulance getting onto the highway.
I'm in the right lane, and pull over. The right lane is relatively clear, everyone else pulling over too.

Right before the flashing light/siren screaming ambulance reaches where I am, a car from the center lane suddenly pulls FROM the center lane, directly into the center of the right lane, right behind me, and STOPS DEAD.

I see this, and scoot forward quickly a few yards, so they can pull off behind me. Luckily no one is in front of me.

The car behind me slowly coasts up an equal number of yards, and again, stops dead in the middle of the road. Right in my blind spot.

By then, the ambulance is right behind this car, and blasts it's siren - LOUD.
I'm again in the process of racing forward a few car lengths, so I can finally see the car, and the driver behind me.

I see the Asian woman driving the car looking all around, then FINALLY behind her, like "where in the world did this ambulance come from?"

THEN, she puts on her left turn signal and tries to get back into the center lane.
Luckily, all the center and left lane people were able to move enough for her to get back in, instead of her just pulling to the right hand side of the road.

There's this really big Asian population in the neighborhood I work in. There's a main road that goes through, where you drive 40 mph. All the streets crossing it have stop signs.
If you are Asian though, and driving on the main road, you randomly pick 2 of the intersections, and come to a complete halt, while cross traffic just sits there, shaking there heads, and gestulating "GO!"

In all fairness, I believe these are not Asian Americans, but people not born and raised here.

ossobuco

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 06:17 pm
I've heard complaints about that for near forever. One phrase, driving school!

I'd be completely at a loss driving in asia. I was ok in italy but never drove in a big city, chickenshit that I am.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 09:29 pm
@chai2,
If you smoke a joint, you'll drive realllllly slow.

Best answer yet !

I hate it when someone drops the roach and it burns the seat.
0 Replies