Is there a reason to drive 10 miles per hour under the limit?

maxdancona

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 09:11 pm
@ibstubro,
I used to accompany the brake taps move with an obscene gesture. One of the unfortunate side effects of having children is that it forces you to act more mature.
ibstubro

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 10:42 pm
@maxdancona,
Oh, no. No gestures. Innocence personified. Tap. Tappp. You can happy middle--kids-tap sans gesture. Your just a mom that thought she saw a bunnie.
0 Replies

ibstubro

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 10:44 pm
@TomBrooklyn,
Cool. Given. And when the road surfaces are clean and dry?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 11:59 pm
@ibstubro,
ibstubro wrote:

I just figure that the powers that be have determined the optimum speed for optimum conditions and that the safest thing to do is follow them.

People my think they are saving lives by forcing traffic to move slower than the speed limit, but they are actually increasing the risk for all. There will always be one person that is late or a chronic hotrod that will take risks in passing slow moving traffic that they otherwise would not. Then there is the increased risk of a pile-up. I HATE being in a string of cars on a 2 lane, because your safety is 100% in the hands of every (bored texting) driver in front of you.

If you're so impaired or unhurried that you need 10 miles below the speed limit, pull off once in a while. If you're trying to make a point, you are actually causing additional, needless risk. Then YOU'RE the guy that drives 10 miles under the limit and puts it to the floor when I try to pass!

You have a persistent misconception. The speed limit is a limit, not a recommended speed. Driving 10 miles below it is perfectly reasonable. Drivers going 10 miles per hour below the speed limit are under no obligation whatsoever to accomodate people who want to go faster.

Indeed, I suspect that you really travel above the speed limit and not at the speed limit. You're probably that guy who tailgates everyone and weaves in and out of every tiny opening for some fancied 30 second reduction in trip time, endangering and annoying everyone around you. If so, you will have an accident soon and these people probably won't. Most of the drivers on the road are just trying to get from point A to point B safely. People like you put everyone in danger because you lack the maturity to drive safely.
roger

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 12:34 am
@Brandon9000,
From where do you come up with all those assumptions?
Region Philbis

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 04:16 am
@maxdancona,

best way to get tailgaters to back off?
throw blinkers on...
0 Replies

Frenchfry

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 07:33 am
@ibstubro,
They need glasses ,or are wicked old. They might even be afraid to drive ,which in that case should not be driving at all. Funny , You can get a ticket for it just like if you are speeding. The only time I drive slower like that ,if it's raining pretty bad.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 08:51 am
@Frenchfry,
I'm not a person who gets claustrophobic in tight spaces but on the rare occasion I find myself driving on a highway when it starts to pour ... I mean really downpour ... I get that claustrophobic feeling that forces me to drive slow and yet I feel I'm not driving slow enough.
Brandon9000

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 09:06 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

From where do you come up with all those assumptions?

Note that I say, "I suspect." Let him set me straight if he isn't really talking about exceeding the speed limit and tailgating slower drivers.
roger

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 01:24 pm
@Brandon9000,
Oh, just keep your little weasel words.
Brandon9000

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 05:09 pm
@roger,
The weasel thought 'twas all in fun.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 12:26 pm
@ibstubro,
If you drive close to the number it says on the sign your car will cach fire. If you drive faster it will explode.
If your car doesn't it's because someone removed the safetykeepyouscaredorator. Man, you're a hazard in traffic, and you should really get your car fixed!
Also, if this is a recurring problem, might I suggest a lobotomy? Or just make a habit of getting really stoned before driving, so your reactiontime will be a better mach for the average driver. Smile
ibstubro

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 12:59 pm
@Brandon9000,
You are exactly...wrong.

I hate slower-than-the limit drivers for that very reason...I NEVER tailgate, and my aversion to slow drivers stems largely from the fact that I'm paranoid of strings of cars on 2 lane roads. You are at the mercy of every angry father, texting teen and vision impaired elder in front of you. What would have been an odd swerve a bit into the on coming lane suddenly becomes a 6 car pile-up.

I live on a 2 lane highway and probably at least once every week or two, I get behind someone driving 5-15 miles below the limit. When I go to pass, they floor it so I have the choice of breaking and getting back in behind their slow butt, or getting up to, like 80-85 (in a 55) to complete the pass. Probably about every 4th time, they will then tailgate me, just to reinforce the obnoxiousness.

If it is not a recommended speed, then why can you get a ticket for going too slow on the interstate? I care less what they do on the 4-lane...they are not my concern. My safety and getting there on time are.
ibstubro

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 01:02 pm
@roger,
Ah...he pulled them out of his arse for our enjoyment!
0 Replies

ibstubro

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 01:04 pm
@tsarstepan,
I always debate with myself if it's safer to just keep crawling along with the crowd, or risk getting rear-ended getting off.
0 Replies

ibstubro

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 01:06 pm
@Cyracuz,
If I got really stoned first, I'd just stay home so I think you may have solved the problem!
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2010 09:39 pm
@ibstubro,
ibstubro wrote:

You are exactly...wrong.

I hate slower-than-the limit drivers for that very reason...I NEVER tailgate, and my aversion to slow drivers stems largely from the fact that I'm paranoid of strings of cars on 2 lane roads. You are at the mercy of every angry father, texting teen and vision impaired elder in front of you. What would have been an odd swerve a bit into the on coming lane suddenly becomes a 6 car pile-up.

I live on a 2 lane highway and probably at least once every week or two, I get behind someone driving 5-15 miles below the limit. When I go to pass, they floor it so I have the choice of breaking and getting back in behind their slow butt, or getting up to, like 80-85 (in a 55) to complete the pass. Probably about every 4th time, they will then tailgate me, just to reinforce the obnoxiousness.

If it is not a recommended speed, then why can you get a ticket for going too slow on the interstate? I care less what they do on the 4-lane...they are not my concern. My safety and getting there on time are.

The speed limit, as virtually everyone knows, is not a recommended speed. It is just what it says, a limit. Driving 10 miles per hour below the limit, when the limit is 50 or 60 or 70 mph is not excessive slowness. To answer your specific question, they do, once in a great while, give tickets for excessively low speeds, but no one gives tickets for driving 45 mph in a 55 mph zone precisely because it is a reasonable speed. If you do not, in fact, tailgate people and weave in and out of every tiny opening, then that's good.
HexHammer

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2010 11:28 pm
@ibstubro,
ibstubro wrote:

Ready cause of road rage, I believe.
Huh?
- for parents = no?
- for others = yes!
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2010 11:48 pm
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
The speed limit, as virtually everyone knows, is not a recommended speed. It is just what it says, a limit.
In what country? Here in America it functions as a recomended speed, because the real speed limit is the speed at which a cop will give you a ticket. Anything other speed listing does not count.

My limit is five MPH under the posted speed. Anyone going slower pisses me off. If someone is going 10 or more under on a two lane road in the country where passing is a problem then I expect them to pull over after three or more cars pile up behind them.

Most of the time the cops are good with five MPH over posted, and I figure that expecting other drivers to manage between under/over 5 MPH the posted is not too much at ask. If you can't do that Brandon do you maybe have a woman you could let drive?
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 12:02 am
@ibstubro,
Quote:
I live on a 2 lane highway and probably at least once every week or two, I get behind someone driving 5-15 miles below the limit. When I go to pass, they floor it so I have the choice of breaking and getting back in behind their slow butt, or getting up to, like 80-85 (in a 55) to complete the pass. Probably about every 4th time, they will then tailgate me, just to reinforce the obnoxiousness
A couple weeks back I was driving in Eastern Washington State on a two lane road in the middle of no where. I came up upon six cars refusing to pass a camper on a pickup that was weaving and going about 20 MPH under the 65 MPH limit. I wait, no on does anything. So I pass, and I have a bad ass car with a huge engine and I am good at this so I figure no problem. So as I am coming up the the offender now going about 85MPH the car behind the camper pulls out right in front of me...and then SLOWLY passes the camper. And don't you know I dont have any room to get behind the camper, so I wait. And wait. Hoping that when this idiot finally gets around and pulls into our lane that I dont go head to head with a semi, because I now can't see what is coming.

I was pissed! I lived though. Just what I did not need, another reminder that while I can control me I cant control every idiot on the road.