People who Drive Slow on the Freeway while doing Phone

Reply Sun 11 Aug, 2013 07:53 pm
YOU ARE PISSING ME THE **** OFF!!!

Please, if you are not talented enough to drive normally and safely while doing phone then for the love of humanity either don't phone or get off the road at the next exit.

Thank you!

raprap

Reply Sun 11 Aug, 2013 08:17 pm
As every cell phone, smart or dumb, contains a GPS any cell phone traveling faster than say 20 mph should automatically flip over to voice mail. Exception may be made for 911.

No new laws covering texting/talking while driving is necessary. Only enforcement of a software application by the provider...problem solved.

If your call is that damn important then you can pull off the road, stop and call.

Rap
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 11 Aug, 2013 08:27 pm
@raprap,
Quote:
As every cell phone, smart or dumb, contains a GPS any cell phone traveling faster than say 20 mph should automatically flip over to voice mail. Exception may be made for 911.

which tells me that you don't want to let moving phones make calls either. I might be OK with the going to voicemail thing even though it is not fair to car/bus/train passengers, but you certainly lose me with disabling calling out.
raprap

Reply Sun 11 Aug, 2013 08:59 pm
@hawkeye10,
What did passengers do before cellphones?

What is worse--people being injured because of distracted drivers or a minor passenger inconvenience?

Rap
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 11 Aug, 2013 09:08 pm
@raprap,
I am sure that the Taliban is right there with you...

I see that there is a push to outlaw cruise control under your logic, it increases reaction time which can cause accidents, and besides it is not a requirement in life.

Lets see, what can we get rid of next...
raprap

Reply Sun 11 Aug, 2013 09:38 pm
@hawkeye10,
So now anything that interferes with your Gawd Given Right to be a distracted operator of a motor vehicle that causes bodily injury on the public highways is the moral equivalent to the Taliban?

My my my that really is the epit0me of a wingnut F**ktard strawman.

Rap
raprap

Reply Sun 11 Aug, 2013 09:42 pm
@hawkeye10,
Speed control I have no problem with but I would like to get rid of the automatic transmission.

Any driver not coordinated enough to move their left foot and their right hand simultaneously isn't coordinated to operate a moving vehicle at high speed on public highways.

Rap

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 11 Aug, 2013 09:56 pm
@raprap,
raprap wrote:

No new laws covering texting/talking while driving is necessary. Only enforcement of a software application by the provider...problem solved.

If your call is that damn important then you can pull off the road, stop and call.

That's asinine. I talk on the phone and drive all the time. 100% of the time with a bluetooth earpiece. I'm 100% in favor of prohibiting texting while driving, but prohibiting talking, TALKING, while driving? Are you kidding me?

Next we're going to want to ban passengers, in the off chance one of them may try to strike up a conversation with the driver.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 11 Aug, 2013 09:57 pm
@raprap,
raprap wrote:
What did passengers do before cellphones?

They talked to -- and DISTRACTED -- the drivers.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 11 Aug, 2013 09:57 pm
@raprap,
you have been away from cars too long, automatics save a lot of gas and thus are good for the country and the earth.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 11 Aug, 2013 09:59 pm
@raprap,
raprap wrote:
Speed control I have no problem with but I would like to get rid of the automatic transmission.

Hold on, full stop. Having to shift manually would tend to distract a driver, while the automatic transmission would allow them to focus completely on the road. I would think you would be in favor of that.

Quote:
Any driver not coordinated enough to move their left foot and their right hand simultaneously isn't coordinated to operate a moving vehicle at high speed on public highways.

Any driver incapable of talking and driving should not operate a moving vehicle at any speed.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 11 Aug, 2013 10:18 pm
this did not seem to used to be such a big problem. What I think is happening is that people are getting hammered with the message "phone while driving is dangerous", so they now slow down "just to be safe".......thus making themselves truly dangerous on the road. this would not be the first time that queasy people put our lives in danger.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 11 Aug, 2013 10:27 pm
@hawkeye10,
jsyk this week end I took youngest to university, and the drivers were a nightmare....there was lots of people clogging the roads and "nice" Washington drivers are some of the worst around making this drive a horrific experience ...they refuse to go when they are supposed to go "just to be nice" to the other guy, the slow down extra slow when ever there is anyone stopped on the side of the road "just to be nice"...dido for construction sites, now this cell phone crap.

there was the angry teen girl who almost ran me over at the gas station as she pulled off the highway, that was more danger I expect on the road.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 11 Aug, 2013 10:39 pm
@raprap,
What if I turn off my GPS? Telling me that I must have my GPS turned on in order to make or receive phone calls would be an issue.

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 11 Aug, 2013 10:53 pm
@hawkeye10,
You'd love driving around Phoenix. Not too many "just to be nice" drivers here.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 11 Aug, 2013 11:15 pm
@Ticomaya,
done that:

lived in Sierra Vista for 5 years....driving Phoenix-Tucson brought back memories of my youth driving in Chicago! except the speeds are higher making for even more fun....
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 11 Aug, 2013 11:32 pm
@raprap,
In 1995, I had a shoulder joint replacement, and a manuel transmission. Sure glad it was my left shoulder, or I wouldn't have made it safely to work, grocery store, etc. In 2007, I had three fractures of the pelvis, and a few other odd injuries. It was two months - MONTHS - before I was able to throw out the clutch. Fortunately, no one is so permanently disabled as to be unable to work both clutch and gear shift. And if there is, well, they should probably stay home.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Aug, 2013 11:42 pm
@Ticomaya,
We have some of them in Albuquerque, which gets interesting to see in contrast to the blast on through to the otherside types. Back in my area of Humboldt County, there was the well known You Go Stop. You go. No, you go. And so on.
Mellow there.

Just read this morning about motorcycle gang warring here in Abq on 4th Street.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2013 03:47 am
@maxdancona,
Cell phones work by tracking your signal as you move from cell tower to cell tower, consequently you cannot 'turn off your GPS' and have an operating phone.

RAP
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2013 04:11 am
@hawkeye10,
Too bad living in the real world isn't your strong suit.

http://www.distraction.gov/

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/new_scientist/2013/07/voice_and_text_while_driving_research_shows_it_s_all_dangerously_distracting.html

http://world.einnews.com/247pr/356812

Oh I get it, you're one of those people who feel that if real world science and research demonstrate that your emotional judgement is in error then then science and research must be morally evil, e.g. 'Taliban.'

I have one question for you--What are you doing that is so important that you can't just take a few minutes, pull off the road, stop and make your phone call or text?

Rap

0 Replies