I'm about 77,000 miles behind average. You?

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 06:53 pm
On another thread I was talking about how I don't like to drive.

I've had my car for 19 years and I have driven 135,000 miles in it. I overestimated on the other thread guessing 160,000 miles. That seemed a bit more likely but after checking the mileage I'm even more behind than I thought.

According to this chart (http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/ohim/onh00/bar8.htm), which is the first one that showed up on Google, I'm about 77,000 miles behind where I should be.

So here are my questions:

For those of you that drive, how many miles have you driven in the last 20 years? Are you above average or below average?

Do you enjoy driving? Why or why not?

For those of you who don't drive, what do you think you might be 7 years behind on?

jcboy

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 07:16 pm
@boomerang,
Ha! I’ve been driving for about ten years now lol. Probably 12,000 miles a year. I’m catching up to you rather quickly! Smile
boomerang

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 07:25 pm
@jcboy,
Dang. You'll catch up to me in no time!

By my rough calculations I drive, on average 7,000 miles per year. I bet I haven't driven 1,000 miles per year in the last 5 years though. I put about $20 worth of gas in my tank each month.

One of the things I love about where I live is that I don't have to drive much.

Do you like to drive?
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 07:27 pm
@boomerang,
I love to drive, (not counting my driving for my various past jobs). When I had a car, I roughly drove 12,000 miles a year.

I haven't owned a car since 2000.

It's been a couple of years (Christmas 2008ish) since I got behind the wheel (rentals that is).
jcboy

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 07:32 pm
@boomerang,
I don’t mind driving short distances. When I moved from CA to FL I had movers take the furniture and I wanted to drive across the country because I had never done it before, and I never will again lol. Geez that was awful, I must have stopped every four hours, took forever. My last trip was to St. George Island, that was a 4 hour drive, next time I'll fly Smile
boomerang

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 07:34 pm
@tsarstepan,
What is it about driving that makes you love to do it?

To me driving falls into this strange area of requiring too much concentration to be relaxing and not enough concentration to be rewarding.

My father in law collected classic cars and he had some real beauties. He let me borrow one or two, once or twice. I did enjoy driving those cars but I was so terrified that something might happen to them that I couldn't really get in the groove.
jcboy

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 07:38 pm
@boomerang,
Also when I lived in CA, Vegas was about three and a half to four hours away, depending on traffic. Friends would want to drive to Vegas for the weekend. I did it once, the last two times I flew and met them there lol.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 07:39 pm
@jcboy,
I love a road trip as long as I'm not having to do the driving!

Mr. B. likes to drive and he has a nice car so he does most of the driving. He knows I'd rather be reading, or working a crossword puzzle or daydreaming so he prefers that I not drive.

The last real road trip we did was from Oklahoma to Oregon when we were moving. I slid down the concrete stairs and totally busted my ass in a big, bad, way. It was new years day so when we called the doctor he was still so drunk that he just called me in some prescription. I was totally incoherently high for the whole trip that I don't remember much of it. Now we limit our drives to California and Washington and they're all drug free (or cancelled!)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 07:39 pm
@boomerang,
I love to drive.

When I was a weeBeth, I wanted to be either a inter-city bus driver or a tractor-trailer driver. The evidence is in my Grade 5 (?) yearbook.

I don't drive nearly as much as I used to. About 20 years ago, I had a job where I drove about 60,000 miles a year. Yup. Put 100,000 km on my car in a year. If I hadn't had to do my job in between the driving, I'd have been deliriously happy.

It just feels good to me. You have to be alert, but it's still relaxing.

One of my happiest trips was to join the hamburgers during one of their vacations. It was an 18 hour drive over a day and a half. That time in the car was just about the most pleased I've ever felt about life.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 07:45 pm
@boomerang,
These past 10 years: I really loved long trips from NYC to Pittsburgh, driving Marietta (TheDivaden/Eurodiva) to her parents for Christmas vacation the most. 9 hours: talking, listening to music, the scenery (including the odd bit of roadside wildlife (not roadkill)), and the knowledge of the destination is sometime soon.

And the odd trips from NYC to Boston as well.

And even before these long trips, I always felt comfortable behind the wheel. Just as long as I had plenty of CD's and an NPR station to listen to.

I drove countless of thousands of miles for various jobs: a shuttle bus for a college; a security vehicle at the Natick Mall. Driving around and listening to the radio and getting paid as a sweet deal.

Not to mention the time I drove some very large track vehicles while in the army. An M992 Field Artillery Ammunition Support Vehicle (FAASV).

Absolutely hated driving for the post office (a temp job). Trying to concentrate on where the next part of the route was too stressful. And like most people, I too was frustrated by traffic and other drivers.

0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 07:46 pm
@ehBeth,
Nice! Thank you ehBeth.

Were you alone on the drives?

That might make me happier.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 07:51 pm
@boomerang,
Long story, will answer tomorrow (gotta rest from my "objectified" post).
CalamityJane

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 07:52 pm
@boomerang,
Hah! I drive a lot, about 12 - 15,000 miles/year...
For a while I've driven from San Diego to Phoenix about once a month, I've driven across the United States from New York to California, road trips to Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, Highway 1 up to San Francisco (and back), Yosemite national park, crossed the border into Mexico and down to Ensenada (when it was still safe to go) and many smaller trips to Los Angeles and Santa Barbara.

Locally, I drive a lot because of the kid - waterpark here, concert there,
picking up friends/dropping off and so on. My commute to work is 25 miles one way.......I guess I practically live in my car! Laughing
boomerang

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 07:52 pm
@ossobuco,
That was a really good post so I totally understand!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 07:58 pm
@boomerang,
I love to be alone in the car when I'm driving - or at least, no other humans. When I was travelling to visit Set (about 700 km each way), I'd have one or two dogs as company. That was quite fine as well - they don't talk much.

I like to be alone with my thoughts.

Set's a pretty good passenger to travel with. Doesn't bug me once we're out of cities. He tends to get annoyed on my behalf by other drivers' actions, which then annoys me. Once we're on a highway or in the country, things go much better. Our road trip around Lake Michigan was pretty dandy. Lots of quiet forestry roads to drive down and chill.
boomerang

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 08:02 pm
@CalamityJane,
Oh good lord, CJane that would drive me crazy! City driving is so awful. How do you do it?

I drive Mo around a bit but most of the things we do are fairly close to home, thank goodness!
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 08:04 pm
@boomerang,
My whole outlook toward driving if I had to drive around NYC on a daily basis would take a 180 degree turn. That kind of driving would be too stressful.
boomerang

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 08:05 pm
@ehBeth,
Alone is so much better!

Still, I'm a bit too daydreamy.

I used to have to make a roundtrip drive once a week -- about 12-50 miles total. It wasn't so bad since I was alone on a long, straight road.

I used to travel for business by plane and by car. That took all the allure of movement away. I'm pretty happy staying put these days.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 08:08 pm
@tsarstepan,
Oh brother! Why anyone bothers to drive there is beyond me! In the city, anyway. The rest of the state is pretty and is probably fine for driving.

0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 08:12 pm
@boomerang,
I am used to it, boomer, I have a comfortable car, good music, something
to snack on and water. I know my way around town quite well, so when there is a traffic jam, I'll take alternate routes and enjoy the scenery there. Driving in San Diego is really nice, we're close to the ocean and sometimes the scenery is just breath taking, I forget that I am driving...
0 Replies