Is there a reason to drive 10 miles per hour under the limit?

roger

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 12:52 am
@hawkeye10,
I tore out so much hair on similar issues that I am bald to this very day. On those two lane deals, I keep telling myself that the issue isn't with the first slow driver. It's the first two followers that could easily pass and don't. Everyone else is faced with passing a convoy of at least three slow vehicles. When I'm the slow one, I have the courtesy to either speed up or pull over when possible. On some of the mountain roads around here, pullling over isn't always an option. I will not exceed the speed at which I feel safe.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 05:56 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
The speed limit, as virtually everyone knows, is not a recommended speed. It is just what it says, a limit.
In what country? Here in America it functions as a recomended speed, because the real speed limit is the speed at which a cop will give you a ticket. Anything other speed listing does not count.

My limit is five MPH under the posted speed. Anyone going slower pisses me off. If someone is going 10 or more under on a two lane road in the country where passing is a problem then I expect them to pull over after three or more cars pile up behind them.

Most of the time the cops are good with five MPH over posted, and I figure that expecting other drivers to manage between under/over 5 MPH the posted is not too much at ask. If you can't do that Brandon do you maybe have a woman you could let drive?

The "real speed limit" is the posted speed limit. It doesn't function as a recommended speed; it functions as a limit. Typically the police won't give someone a ticket for driving slightly over the limit because they don't want to have to make the case in court.

I couldn't care less what pisses you off. If you tailgate someone, you should be given a ticket for following closely, and, incidentally, you will eventually have or cause an accident by doing that. Try it with me and I'll simply slow down until you pull back. The people who just want to get to their destination safely are under no obligation to accommodate you in breaking the law.
sozobe

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 06:02 am
@Brandon9000,
People usually actually go 5-7 miles over the speed limit (in my experience in MN, WI, CA, IL, and OH, but that may not be universal). So if the posted speed limit is 55, and people are actually driving 60-62 mph, and someone's going 45, that's a significant disruption.

The disruption to traffic flow -- especially if you're not in the right lane (as in, if it's a single-lane freeway, or if it's multi-lane and you're driving in the fast lane) can result in a ticket.
sozobe

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 06:15 am
@sozobe,
...but I don't think it's very likely.

I DO find it highly irritating when the speed limit is 65, most people are going 70 or so, and someone's tooling along at 55 in the fast lane...
0 Replies

ibstubro

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 08:05 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
In what country? Here in America it functions as a recomended speed, because the real speed limit is the speed at which a cop will give you a ticket. Anything other speed listing does not count.

My limit is five MPH under the posted speed. Anyone going slower pisses me off. If someone is going 10 or more under on a two lane road in the country where passing is a problem then I expect them to pull over after three or more cars pile up behind them.

Most of the time the cops are good with five MPH over posted, and I figure that expecting other drivers to manage between under/over 5 MPH the posted is not too much at ask. If you can't do that Brandon do you maybe have a woman you could let drive?

Simply, "Amen".
ibstubro

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 08:08 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
the car behind the camper pulls out right in front of me...

If there isn't a law about not pulling into the passing lane when there is already a car in it (forward OR behind), there should be.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 05:01 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

People usually actually go 5-7 miles over the speed limit (in my experience in MN, WI, CA, IL, and OH, but that may not be universal). So if the posted speed limit is 55, and people are actually driving 60-62 mph, and someone's going 45, that's a significant disruption.

The disruption to traffic flow -- especially if you're not in the right lane (as in, if it's a single-lane freeway, or if it's multi-lane and you're driving in the fast lane) can result in a ticket.

You're actually suggesting that someone would get a ticket for not speeding, but driving slightly below the speed limit? That's utter nonsense. Law abiders and under no obligation to accommodate law breakers.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 05:05 am
@ibstubro,
ibstubro wrote:

Quote:

Simply, "Amen".

If the speed limit is the recommended speed, then it is being recommended by the people who put out the signs, the goverment. I will wait while you post a link to a government site of some sort which states that the speed limit is the recommended speed. If you cannot do that, then they are not recommending it.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 06:42 am
@Brandon9000,
You're quite correct B9000. The government dictates the speed limit as a mandate not a recommendation.

When the police choose to allow drivers the ability to drive up to 9 miles an hour above the speed limit before enforcing the legal speed limit that in term is considered a textbook definition of the political term public policy. It is a consideration that the police have when enforcing a law and when not to enforce the law.

Example:
http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/enforce/speedlaws501/toc/alspeed.pdf
Quote:
No person shall drive a vehicle at a speed greater than is reasonable and prudent under the conditions and having regard to the actual and potential hazards than existing. '32-5A-170

Statutory Speed Limit: I. 30 MPH in any urban district '32-5A-171(1)
II. 35 MPH on any unpaved road '32-5A-171(2)(a)
III. 45 MPH on any county-maintained paved road in an unincorporated area '32-5A-171(2)(b)
IV. 55 MPH1 on highways (except interstate highways or highways with 4 or more lanes) '32-5A-171(3)
V. 70 MPH1 on interstate highways '32-5A-171(4)
VI 65 MPH1 on a highway with 4 or more lanes '32-5A-171(4)
VII. 55 MPH1 for vehicles carrying explosives, flammable liquids or hazardous wastes except as authorized by the governor '32-5A-171(5)

Posted (Maximum) Speed Limit: I. Based on engineering and traffic investigations, the State Director of Public Safety and the State Highway Director may increase or decrease the above maximum speed limits on the State highway system.2 ''32-5A-171(7) & 32-5A-172
II. Based on engineering and traffic investigations and subject to approval by the State highway department, local governments may increase or decrease the speed limits on the highways under their jurisdiction. '32-5A-173
II. State or local authorities may set special maximum safe speed limits for either bridges or elevated structures.3 '32-5A-176

Minimum Speed Limit: I. No person shall drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic. '32-5A-174(a)
II. A person, driving at less than the normal speed of traffic, shall drive in the right-hand lane then available for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway. '32-5A-80(b)
1Under '32-5A-171(6), the governor is authorized to change the maximum speed limits in order to allow the State to receive Federal highway construction and maintenance funds.
2This includes the establishment of different highway speed limits either (1) for different types of vehicles (e.g., persons, who operate certain types of trucks may be required to drive these vehicles at a slower speed than those who operate other types of motor vehicles), (2) at different times of the day, (3) for various weather conditions or (4) for other factors bearing on safe speeds. '32-5A-172 3It appears that '32-5A-176 has replaced '32-5-92 although this later section has not been specifically repealed. Under '32-5-92, State and local officials are authorized to establish maximum safe speed limits for either public bridges, causeways or viaducts. However, this section provides for the following criminal sanctions for a violation of the posted safe speed limit: 1st offense-a jail term of not more than 10 days and/or a fine of not more than $100; 2nd offense (within 1 year)-a jail term of not more than 20 days and/or a fine of not more than $200; and, 3rd or subsequent offense (within 1 year)-a jail term of not more than 6 months at hard labor and/or a fine of not more than $500.

Posted (Minimum) Speed Limit: A posted minimum speed on a road or highway may be established. Such action must be based on engineering and traffic studies. '32-5A-174(b)

http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/enforce/speedlaws501/toc/alspeed.pdf
0 Replies