Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 06:50 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:
This ignores the fact that many people simply would not buy her music for any amount of money but would download it and listen to it for free. Either way, your friend will never get a dime from those people. Their downloading of the album changes nothing. There's no reason why those people owe her anything since they never intended to buy it anyways.

And there's no reason she owes these people her music, for free.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 06:51 pm
I'd be interested in why my posts pulled all those zeroes.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 06:54 pm
@ossobuco,
If you really want to know, I'll oblige. I thumbed down your complaints about being thumbed down for one (I'm not the only person so can only speak for my own motivations). I don't want to argue about it, I think it's vapid and just want it off the page for me. Arguing about it would just amplify it and have the opposite effect.

(I'm not going to argue about it, the whole point for me is making the thread pages more edifying, not less, but you asked why.)
Night Ripper

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 06:54 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Night Ripper wrote:
This ignores the fact that many people simply would not buy her music for any amount of money but would download it and listen to it for free. Either way, your friend will never get a dime from those people. Their downloading of the album changes nothing. There's no reason why those people owe her anything since they never intended to buy it anyways.

And there's no reason she owes these people her music, for free.

You're exactly right. If she feels that way, she should keep it locked away in her basement. If I were to break into her house to get at her art then we would have a legitimate crime on our hands but it would be trespassing. As soon as she gives or sells a copy to anyone then they should be free to do whatever they want with it, including making more copies for other people.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 07:02 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:
So, your argument is that we would have less art if we didn't lock people up in rape dungeons or murder them?

I said absolutely nothing of the sort and this is base intellectual dishonesty you are exhibiting here.

My argument is that intellectual property deserves legal protection in order to provide increased monetization opportunities for the creative people generating it.

This does not necessarily mean I support rape and even imprisonment as the punishment, and this is your idiotic straw man.

Quote:
I don't think so but maybe you are far more selfish than I am.

This is the fallacy of an ad hominem. It matters not a whit how selfish I am this is an attempt to attack the person when you cannot refute their arguments. I could go on about how comparatively stupid you are but instead I address your arguments.

Quote:
Clerks? Eraserhead? Do you think those are bad movies? Well, if you do then you have no taste. Again, I'll be fine with the exceptions. I don't need a new Transformers movie every summer.

I think Clerks is mildly amusing, I haven't seen Eraserhead. But you are again making a straw man to then attack my taste (kinda like a double-whammy of a fallacy). I said nothing of the sort, I said the overwhelming majority of $10,000 films are bad, and that those cited films are exceptions not the rule. And some kinds of films (mega-epics for one example that you can't just dismiss through taste snobbery) are not very amenable to shoestring budgets.

And even if the art produced is crap I support the rights of people to produce crappy art and to get paid for it. I do not support the right for you to help yourself to whatever you feel you have some weird inalienable right to help yourself to.

You display a breathtaking amount of intellectual dishonesty in this thread. I wish you'd argue better, your argument could use a better advocate and there's a lot about it that I sympathize with. But your hyperbole (rape dungeons? who exactly is the RIAA putting in rape dungeons again?) and inability to maintain basic respect for your interlocutors makes it an exercise in futility to attempt meaningful discussion with you.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 07:06 pm
@Robert Gentel,
You might be surprised that I understand, one way or another.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 07:07 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:
You're exactly right. If she feels that way, she should keep it locked away in her basement.

No, you have no right to force people to lock their creation up in their basements just to keep you from helping yourself to it.

You have no inherent right to the intellectual property of others. They have every right to be stupidly greedy about it if they want to (and yes, they often are).

Quote:
If I were to break into her house to get at her art then we would have a legitimate crime on our hands but it would be trespassing.

Copyright infringement is a "legitimate crime". Just because you say it isn't does't make it so.

See: ipse dixit.

Quote:
As soon as she gives or sells a copy to anyone then they should be free to do whatever they want with it, including making more copies for other people.

Says Night Ripper (ipse dixit). With nothing other than strength of conviction and intellectual dishonesty to back it up.
0 Replies

Night Ripper

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 07:11 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Take it easy on the insults please. If you can't discuss this calmly and dispassionately then let's not waste each others time.

As to the only content worth responding in your posts, you're simply confused as to how the laws work. All laws are ultimately threats of imprisonment or death. If you don't understand that then you have no business making laws.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 07:14 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Oh, and I rarely pout about being thumbed down. I have, a few times, I'll admit that. I suppose that irritated you.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 07:15 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:
Take it easy on the insults please. If you can't discuss this calmly and dispassionately then let's not waste each others time.

You, sir, are the one introducing ad hominems to our exchange and I will continue to point out such intellectual dishonesty, whether or not you find that insulting.

Quote:
As to the only content worth responding in your posts...

I can understand why you'd want to evade the rest, but don't fool yourself into thinking it's not transparent to everyone else.

Quote:
...you're simply confused as to how the laws work. All laws are ultimately threats of imprisonment or death. If you don't understand that then you have no business making laws.

I understand the law well enough to understand that the threat of imprisonment or death is not for downloading an mp3 but for resisting arrest, but you don't seem to.

I'm no lawyer myself, but you don't seem to have even a tenuous grasp on law. And before you get your panties in a twist about this being an "insult" I'll point out that this bit of legal ignorance was used in your attempt to say the same thing to me, so spare us that hypocrisy.
Night Ripper

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 07:19 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
You, sir, are the one introducing ad hominems to our exchange and I will continue to point out such intellectual dishonesty, whether or not you find that insulting.

I didn't ad hominem you and if you think I did then I apologize. Please, let's keep this civil. Calling me intellectually dishonest doesn't prove my arguments wrong so you're just wasting your time.

Robert Gentel wrote:
I understand the law well enough to understand that the threat of imprisonment or death is not for downloading an mp3 but for resisting arrest, but you don't seem to.

That's nonsense. In your magical fairytale world, the government sends me a nasty letter demanding money and then I bend over and take it. What happens when I ball that letter up and throw it in the trash? Suddenly, I've committed a new crime! Nonsense, the original crime is still what you're advocating death or imprisonment over, otherwise you would just let me ball up the letter and toss it in the trash.
Joe Nation

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 07:22 pm
@Night Ripper,
Quote:
This ignores the fact that many people simply would not buy her music for any amount of money but would download it and listen to it for free.

Yes, I've heard this horseshit argument before and I always ask Why would they download the music and listen to it if it had no value for them? The reality is, and you know this, they merely download, they listen to the music, get some value (greater energy, some insight or maybe their ass just gets to bogey some) and then cheap out.
You owe it to the creators of art to pay for the value it brings you.

You can lie and say "I'd only take it for free" but no one asked you if you wanted it for free. It's only available for free if you steal it.

Joe(if all you get is the thrill of the theft, that's enough to still pay the artist.)Nation
Night Ripper

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 07:26 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:
Why would they download the music and listen to it if it had no value for them?

The same reason why I listen to the radio for free and turn it off during the commercials. Oh no! I'm stealing again by not listening to the advertisements!
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 07:31 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:
I didn't ad hominem you and if I did then I apologize.

No need to apologize to me, when people use logical fallacy in argument it hurts them more than me.

Quote:
Please, let's keep this civil. Calling me intellectually dishonest doesn't prove my arguments wrong so you're just wasting your time.

I didn't call you intellectually dishonest to disprove your arguments, they weren't arguments, they were intellectually dishonest straw men, and so blatantly so that it seemed deliberate. Pointing out intellectual dishonesty, as I have is not uncivil. Employing it, as you have, is.

If you don't want to be called intellectually dishonest then don't be intellectually dishonest. Don't put words into their mouths over and over, making straw men for you to knock down. Don't devolve into weak ad hominems and ignore their arguments.

In debate it's important to point such tactics out and I have every intention of doing so if I see you making straw men again.

Quote:
That's nonsense. In your magical fairytale world the government sends me a nasty letter demanding money and then I bend over and take it. What happens when I ball that letter up and throw it in the trash? Suddenly, I've committed a new crime! Nonsense, the original crime is still what you're advocating death or imprisonment over, otherwise you would just let me ball up the letter and toss in the trash.

No, I don't advocate prison for downloading mp3s. But I do think that resisting arrest should be its own crime because I think arrests would be a great deal more complicated if it weren't so. And no, they wouldn't be getting killed for downloading an mp3, but for threatening the life of an arresting officer and whether or not you are capable of comprehending why, this is a separate crime. Without the ability to enforce arrests we could not prevent crimes that you do agree should be on the books. And if you don't like the law use your vote and try to change it, you have no right to simply decide what parts of the social contract don't apply to you and to resist society's attempts to enforce the laws.

But in any case, this is a stupid red herring. Who has been killed over an mp3? Your hyperbole does your arguments (on the rare occasion that arguments actually emerge) no favors. If you want to argue that the punishment is disproportionate to the crime you have plenty of evidence to do so in reality (like the exorbitant amount they want to charge per song when they sue but how they refuse to pay the same rates for their own cases of infringement) and don't need to go into rape dungeons and death fantasies.

And even if these fantasies were occurring it would merely indict the way intellectual property is being protected, not the concept itself of intellectual property. In other words it would indict the means to an end but not the end and you can't pretend like it does and think nobody will notice (seriously, you can't be as dumb as you are arguing, a small bit of edification on your part on how to argue would go a long way in improving your debates, you are smart enough to argue better than this).
Night Ripper

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 07:38 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
No, I don't advocate prison for downloading mp3s.

Right, so send me your nasty letters and they will be balled up in my trash. I can live with that if you can.

Robert Gentel wrote:
Who has been killed over an mp3?

I find this amusing. If I threaten 100 shopkeepers with death if they don't pay and they all pay I can also say "What shopkeeper has ever been killed?"

None of them have been killed because they are smart enough to take threats seriously and not fight back. That doesn't make the threats any less wrong or credible.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 07:43 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:
Right, so send me your nasty letters and they will be balled up in my trash. I can live with that if you can

Just because I don't advocate prison for downloading mp3s doesn't mean I don't advocate prison for failure to comply with a ruling from society's justice system. That is a separate crime.

Quote:
None of them have been killed because they are smart enough to take threats seriously and not fight back. That doesn't make the threats any less wrong.

The threat of death only exists if you threaten the life of an arresting officer. I have a hard time believing that you are too dense to comprehend why that act itself should be a crime or why the arresting officer has a right to respond that way.

And even if we ignore this monumental daftitude it's still an indictment of means, not the end. If you want to argue against the very concept of intellectual property the manner in which its protection is enforced (which could simply be too harsh or too broad) are not indictments of the concept itself.

C'mon. This isn't too hard to understand, you should clearly see why you can't conflate your arguments about intellectual property with imagined harshness in the enforcement of the laws about it. The means are not equal to the end.
Night Ripper

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 07:45 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
The threat of death only exists if you threaten the life of an arresting officer.

So, I'm supposed to let some thug in a blue costume kidnap me or steal my property without defending myself or my property?
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 07:46 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:
So, I'm supposed to let some thug in a blue costume kidnap me or steal my property without defending myself or my property?

No, just don't steal from others and violate the laws of the society you live in and you should be fine.

And it's not a "costume", what are you? 16? Do you want no police too? There are places with such lawlessness, why don't you go live there instead of violating the social contracts of the society you live in?
Night Ripper

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 07:53 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
Do you want no police too? There are places with such lawlessness, why don't you go live there instead of violating the social contracts of the society you live in?

I'd love for there to be no police. That way I could have my own private security force that actually treats me like a customer and if I don't like their service I can go with one of their competitors.

As for the social contract nonsense, that's been discredited since Hume.

Quote:
Can we seriously say, that a poor peasant or artisan has a free choice to leave his country, when he knows no foreign language or manners, and lives, from day to day, by the small wages which he acquires? We may as well assert that a man, by remaining in a vessel, freely consents to the dominion of the master; though he was carried on board while asleep, and must leap into the ocean and perish, the moment he leaves her.

I'm no more a party to a social contract than the poor bastard that finds himself in the middle of the ocean. I'm sure you would drive us into the sea with tanks if you could but that's not a serious offer.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 07:55 pm
@Robert Gentel,
You want me who generally admires you off the page, as in, Vapidity are me.

You still have a lot to learn.

Let me watch you get all edified.
0 Replies