Was it a war crime when US nuked Hiroshima & Nagasaki?

oralloy

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2018 03:52 am
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:
You continue to refuse to acknowledge that the military leaders of that time were legally obligated to obey the orders of their political masters without question.

I've always acknowledged that they were obligated to follow orders.

Glennn wrote:
I've provided the quote from one of those leaders stating as much.

So in other words, they didn't voice any objections to using the A-bombs when the A-bombs were being used.

Glennn wrote:
Your argument that they weren't opposed to using the atomic bomb on those cities and people only holds up if we ignore the fact that they were bound by duty to obey and not question the decisions of their superiors.

Once again, my argument is that they didn't voice any objections to the use of the A-bombs when the A-bombs were being used.

Given the recorded fact that they didn't voice any such objections, my argument holds up just fine.

Glennn wrote:
You would think that if they weren't opposed, as you say they weren't, their statements after the bombing would reflect that. But the fact is that their statements after the bombing do not reflect anything like approval.

What I say is that they voiced no opposition to using the A-bombs when the A-bombs were actually being used.

Whatever they say about the matter after the war is over does not alter the reality that they voiced no objections to using the A-bombs when the A-bombs were actually being used.

Glennn wrote:
Why on earth would you think that a surrender wouldn't come long before that happened?

Because that is exactly the way Japan was behaving when the US government decided to use A-bombs on them.

Glennn wrote:
After all, you believe that the killing of a couple hundred thousand caused them to surrender. That's not very logical.

No I don't. I believe that the US overrunning Iwo Jima and Okinawa (which the Japanese had believed would stop us cold) caused them to decide to get out of the war any way they could. They just focused first on their Soviet gambit to try to escape the war without surrendering. Once the Soviets declared war on them, their Soviet gambit was untenable, so they switched to outright surrender.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2018 03:53 am
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:
American Military Leaders Urge President Truman not to Drop the Atomic Bomb.

Whatever you're cut-and-pasting is a lie. No one ever advised Truman against using the A-bombs against live targets.

Also, you seem determined to repeatedly cut-n-paste the same things that have already been addressed over and over and over again.

If you'd like a rebuttal to most of what you've just cut-and pasted, see my post here:
https://able2know.org/topic/1591-56#post-6585682

Glennn wrote:
In an article reprinted in 1947 by Reader's Digest, Brigadier General Bonner Fellers (in charge of psychological warfare on MacArthur's wartime staff and subsequently MacArthur's military secretary in Tokyo) stated:

Obviously . . . the atomic bomb neither induced the Emperor's decision to surrender nor had any effect on the ultimate outcome of the war." (See p. 352, Chapter 28)

He never said anything like that during the war when the A-bombs were actually being used.

Glennn wrote:
Colonel Charles "Tick" Bonesteel, 1945 chief of the War Department Operations Division Policy Section, subsequently recalled in a military history interview: "[T]he poor damn Japanese were putting feelers out by the ton so to speak, through Russia. . . ." (See p. 359, Chapter 28)

Vague and unspecific contacts with Russia are not a surrender offer to the US.

If Japan had wanted to avoid the A-bombs, the only way to have done so was by surrendering to us before we dropped the A-bombs.

Glennn wrote:
Brigadier Gen. Carter W. Clarke, the officer in charge of preparing MAGIC intercepted cable summaries in 1945, stated in a 1959 interview:

we brought them [the Japanese] down to an abject surrender through the accelerated sinking of their merchant marine and hunger alone, and when we didn't need to do it, and we knew we didn't need to do it, and they knew that we knew we didn't need to do it, we used them as an experiment for two atomic bombs. (See p. 359, Chapter 28)

His statement is at odds with history. It is quite clear that at the time the bombs were dropped, no one in the US government had any idea what it would take to make Japan surrender.

Glennn wrote:
In a 1985 letter recalling the views of Army Chief of Staff General George C. Marshall, former Assistant Secretary of War John J. McCloy elaborated on an incident that was

very vivid in my mind. . . . I can recall as if it were yesterday, [Marshall's] insistence to me that whether we should drop an atomic bomb on Japan was a matter for the President to decide, not the Chief of Staff since it was not a military question . . . the question of whether we should drop this new bomb on Japan, in his judgment, involved such imponderable considerations as to remove it from the field of a military decision. (See p. 364, Chapter 28)

In a separate memorandum written the same year McCloy recalled: "General Marshall was right when he said you must not ask me to declare that a surprise nuclear attack on Japan is a military necessity. It is not a military problem." (See p. 364, Chapter 28)

Not opposition to the use of the A-bombs against a live target.

Glennn wrote:
In addition:

- On May 29, 1945 Marshall joined with Secretaries Stimson and Forrestal in approving Acting Secretary of State Joseph C. Grew's proposal that the unconditional surrender language be clarified (but, with Stimson, proposed a brief delay). (See pp. 53-54, Chapter 4)

- On June 9, 1945, along with the other members of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Marshall recommended that a statement clarifying the surrender terms be issued on the fall of Okinawa (June 21). (See pp. 55-57, Chapter 4)

- On July 16, 1945 at Potsdam--again along with the other members of the Joint Chiefs --Marshall urged the British Chiefs of Staff to ask Churchill to approach Truman about clarifying the terms. (See pp. 245-246, Chapter 19)

- On July 18, 1945, Marshall led the other members of the Joint Chiefs of Staff in directly urging the president to include language in the Potsdam Proclamation allowing Japan to choose its own form of government. (See pp. 299-300, Chapter 23)

These are all requests that the US issue the Potsdam Proclamation before using the A-bombs.

This advice was taken. We DID issue the Potsdam Proclamation before using the A-bombs.

Glennn wrote:
In his memoirs President Dwight D. Eisenhower reports the following reaction when Secretary of War Stimson informed him the atomic bomb would be used:

During his recitation of the relevant facts, I had been conscious of a feeling of depression and so I voiced to him my grave misgivings, first on the basis of my belief that Japan was already defeated and that dropping the bomb was completely unnecessary, and secondly because I thought that our country should avoid shocking world opinion by the use of a weapon whose employment was, I thought, no longer mandatory as a measure to save American lives. . . . (See p. 4, Introduction)

That is an excerpt from his 1963 book.

As for the conversation from 1945 that he describes, note that Ike only expressed this view to a single person (Stimson).

Ike was spectacularly unconvincing. Stimson essentially called him an idiot.

After the discussion, neither Ike nor Stimson bothered to tell anyone else of the views that Ike had expressed to Stimson -- at least not until Ike talked about it in 1963.

Thus Ike's view was unknown to all but Stimson in 1945. And as I said, Stimson was not impressed.

Even if Ike had been convincing, it was too late to stop the A-bombs (at least the first one). When Ike had this discussion with Stimson the final orders to drop the bombs had already been sent off to the military, and Truman had already departed Potsdam to travel back home. Truman was still at sea when Hiroshima was destroyed.

Glennn wrote:
Eisenhower made similar private and public statements on numerous occasions. For instance, in a 1963 interview he said simply: ". . . it wasn't necessary to hit them with that awful thing." (See pp. 352-358, Chapter 28)

Those statements were from the 1960s, LONG after the A-bombs had already been dropped.

Aside from Ike's super-secret conversation with Stimson that no one other than Stimson even knew about, he didn't say these sorts of things during the war when the A-bombs were actually being dropped.

Glennn wrote:
If, after reading the opinions of these top military leaders, you come away with the idea that none of them were opposed to using atomic bombs on cities full of people, then I guess I'll leave you to your suspicions that they all thought it was a good idea.

Given the recorded fact that none of them expressed any opposition to using the A-bombs when the A-bombs were actually being used (except for one super-secret conversation that no one else even knew about), it is not a mere suspicion that they voiced no such opposition when the A-bombs were being used.

The historical record makes it abundantly clear that no such opposition was voiced.
Glennn

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2018 12:33 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Whatever you're cut-and-pasting is a lie. No one ever advised Truman against using the A-bombs against live targets.

Let's see who's lying.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

In May 1945, Truman had formed the Interim Committee, a committee to advise the president about matters pertaining to the use of nuclear energy and weapons. The Committee’s first priority was to advise on the use of the atomic bomb.

The Under-Secretary of the Navy, Ralph Bard, formally dissented from the Interim Committee's recommendation to use the bomb against a city without warning.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Apparently, unless those who were opposed to needlessly using atomic bombs on cities full of people stood on the other side of Truman's desk and said, "I am opposed to using these bombs on populated cities," you arbitrarily say that their opposition doesn't count.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Rear Admiral L. Lewis Strauss, special assistant to the Secretary of the Navy from 1944 to 1945 (and later chairman of the Atomic Energy Commission), replaced Bard on the Interim Committee after he left government on July 1. Subsequently, Strauss repeatedly stated his belief that the use of the atomic bomb "was not necessary to bring the war to a successful conclusion. . . ."
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Same committee, different guy, same advice. That makes two military leaders opposing the use of atomic bombs on cities full of people. Let's see if there's another.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Henry Arnold was the commanding general of the U.S. Army Air Forces. His deputy was Lieutenant General Ira Eaker who summed up his understanding in an internal military history interview. Eaker reported that Arnold told him:

"When the question comes up of whether we use the atomic bomb or not, my view is that the Air Force will not oppose the use of the bomb, and they will deliver it effectively if the Commander in Chief decides to use it. But it is not necessary to use it in order to conquer the Japanese without the necessity of a land invasion." (See p. 335, Chapter 27)

Eaker also recalled: "That was the representation I made when I accompanied General Marshall up to the White House" for a discussion with Truman on June 18, 1945.]

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

How do you not see these accounts as military leaders urging Truman not to use the atom bomb on cities full of people?

Glennn wrote:

Brigadier Gen. Carter W. Clarke, the officer in charge of preparing MAGIC intercepted cable summaries in 1945, stated in a 1959 interview:

we brought them [the Japanese] down to an abject surrender through the accelerated sinking of their merchant marine and hunger alone, and when we didn't need to do it, and we knew we didn't need to do it, and they knew that we knew we didn't need to do it, we used them as an experiment for two atomic bombs.
(See p. 359, Chapter 28)
Quote:
His statement is at odds with history.

No, they are at odds with the narrative you've come to accept.
Quote:
This advice was taken. We DID issue the Potsdam Proclamation before using the A-bombs.

Yeah, about that:

On July 2, 1945, Sec. of War Henry Stimson and Truman discussed a proposal by Stimson to call for Japan to surrender. Stimson's memo to the President advised, "I personally think that if in saying this we should add that we do not exclude a constitutional monarchy under her present dynasty, it would substantially add to the chances of acceptance". Stimson's proposed surrender demand stated that the reformed Japanese government "may include a constitutional monarchy under the present dynasty" (Potsdam 1, pg. 889-894).

However, this line was not included in the surrender demand, known as the Potsdam Proclamation, that was broadcast on July 26th, in spite of Stimson's eleventh hour protestations that it be left in (Diary of Henry L. Stimson, 7/24/45, Yale Univ. Library, New Haven, Conn). Pacific war historian Akira Iriye explains, "One reason for this change [the removal of the emperor retention line] was the growing influence within the State Department of men like [Sec. of State] Byrnes, Acheson, and MacLeish - with no expertise on Japanese affairs but keenly sensitive to public opinion - and the president's tendency to listen to them rather than to Grew and other experts." (PAC, pg. 255-256). In regard to his disagreement with Under Sec. of State Grew over allowing Japan to retain the Emperor, Dean Acheson later admitted, "I very shortly came to see that I was quite wrong." (Dean Acheson, Present at the Creation,
pg. 112-113).
Quote:
Ike was spectacularly unconvincing. Stimson essentially called him an idiot.

It turned out Ike was right.
Quote:
The historical record makes it abundantly clear that no such opposition was voiced.

Well sure, as long you omit the historical record contained in the statements of opposition from military leaders that I just showed you, and as long as you continue to believe that all of the military leaders who voiced opposition after the bombs were dropped were all for it just before they were dropped.
oralloy

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2018 04:55 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:
Let's see who's lying.

The liar is whoever composed the untrue claim that military leaders advised Truman against using the A-bombs.

Glennn wrote:
In May 1945, Truman had formed the Interim Committee, a committee to advise the president about matters pertaining to the use of nuclear energy and weapons. The Committee’s first priority was to advise on the use of the atomic bomb.

The Under-Secretary of the Navy, Ralph Bard, formally dissented from the Interim Committee's recommendation to use the bomb against a city without warning.

Bard did not object to using the A-bombs on live targets. He merely suggested that we should issue the Potsdam Proclamation before using the A-bombs.

Glennn wrote:
Apparently, unless those who were opposed to needlessly using atomic bombs on cities full of people stood on the other side of Truman's desk and said, "I am opposed to using these bombs on populated cities," you arbitrarily say that their opposition doesn't count.

If someone wants to claim that these people advised Truman against using the A-bombs, then yes, they are required to have proof that these people advised Truman against using the A-bombs.

There is nothing arbitrary about insisting on historical accuracy.

Glennn wrote:
Rear Admiral L. Lewis Strauss, special assistant to the Secretary of the Navy from 1944 to 1945 (and later chairman of the Atomic Energy Commission), replaced Bard on the Interim Committee after he left government on July 1. Subsequently, Strauss repeatedly stated his belief that the use of the atomic bomb "was not necessary to bring the war to a successful conclusion. . . ."

Unless you can provide proof of time travel, post-war statements don't count as wartime advice.

Glennn wrote:
Same committee, different guy, same advice.

Not the same advice. Bard's advice was to issue the Potsdam Proclamation before dropping the A-bombs (which was done). Strauss advised that we try to do a non-lethal demonstration first.

The report that Truman received on the question of non-lethal demonstrations is that some people had proposed a non-lethal demonstration, but top nuclear scientists had considered it and found that it just wasn't possible.

Glennn wrote:
That makes two military leaders opposing the use of atomic bombs on cities full of people.

Wrong. You are still at zero.

Suggesting that we issue the Potsdam Proclamation before using the A-bombs is in no way opposition to using the A-bombs against a live target.

Saying "some people proposed a non-lethal demonstration but it has been found to be unworkable in practice" is not opposition to using the A-bombs on a live target.

Glennn wrote:
Let's see if there's another.

There was no opposition voiced other than Ike's secret conversation with Stimson that no one else even knew about.

Glennn wrote:
Henry Arnold was the commanding general of the U.S. Army Air Forces. His deputy was Lieutenant General Ira Eaker who summed up his understanding in an internal military history interview. Eaker reported that Arnold told him:

"When the question comes up of whether we use the atomic bomb or not, my view is that the Air Force will not oppose the use of the bomb, and they will deliver it effectively if the Commander in Chief decides to use it. But it is not necessary to use it in order to conquer the Japanese without the necessity of a land invasion." (See p. 335, Chapter 27)

Eaker also recalled: "That was the representation I made when I accompanied General Marshall up to the White House" for a discussion with Truman on June 18, 1945.]

Not opposition to using the A-bombs on a live target.

Glennn wrote:
How do you not see these accounts as military leaders urging Truman not to use the atom bomb on cities full of people?

Maybe it's the recorded fact that none of these military leaders urged Truman against using the A-bombs.

Glennn wrote:
No, they are at odds with the narrative you've come to accept.

No. His claim is at odds with recorded history.

Glennn wrote:
Yeah, about that:

On July 2, 1945, Sec. of War Henry Stimson and Truman discussed a proposal by Stimson to call for Japan to surrender. Stimson's memo to the President advised, "I personally think that if in saying this we should add that we do not exclude a constitutional monarchy under her present dynasty, it would substantially add to the chances of acceptance". Stimson's proposed surrender demand stated that the reformed Japanese government "may include a constitutional monarchy under the present dynasty" (Potsdam 1, pg. 889-894).

However, this line was not included in the surrender demand, known as the Potsdam Proclamation, that was broadcast on July 26th, in spite of Stimson's eleventh hour protestations that it be left in (Diary of Henry L. Stimson, 7/24/45, Yale Univ. Library, New Haven, Conn). Pacific war historian Akira Iriye explains, "One reason for this change [the removal of the emperor retention line] was the growing influence within the State Department of men like [Sec. of State] Byrnes, Acheson, and MacLeish - with no expertise on Japanese affairs but keenly sensitive to public opinion - and the president's tendency to listen to them rather than to Grew and other experts." (PAC, pg. 255-256). In regard to his disagreement with Under Sec. of State Grew over allowing Japan to retain the Emperor, Dean Acheson later admitted, "I very shortly came to see that I was quite wrong." (Dean Acheson, Present at the Creation,
pg. 112-113).

Actually the reason Grew's line about the Emperor was removed was because General Marshall believed it would be seen as hostile to the Emperor and make Japan's peace faction resistant to surrender. A constitutional monarchy "under the present dynasty" implies that something bad happens to Hirohito and his son becomes the Emperor.

History strongly suggests that even if we had found a way to include more reassuring language about the Emperor in the Potsdam Proclamation it wouldn't have changed anything. Japan didn't try to surrender "just with a guarantee for the Emperor" until after both A-bombs had already been dropped.

We might have done something to speed the end of the war if we'd included language threatening that the Soviets were about to go to war against Japan (as that would have given Japan a clue that their Russia gambit was doomed to failure). But that would have given Stalin a say in the language of the Potsdam Proclamation, and he'd have insisted on language that would make Japan refuse to surrender no matter what (so he would have time to enter the war and claim more territory). So in the end the Potsdam Proclamation was probably the best we could have done.

Glennn wrote:
Well sure, as long you omit the historical record contained in the statements of opposition from military leaders that I just showed you,

Nothing has been omitted. The supposed statements of opposition simply don't exist.

Glennn wrote:
and as long as you continue to believe that all of the military leaders who voiced opposition after the bombs were dropped were all for it just before they were dropped.

I have not given any consideration whatsoever to the question of whether they secretly opposed or supported it.

It is a recorded fact that they did not voice any opposition to it.
Glennn

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2018 09:28 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
No one ever advised Truman against using the A-bombs against live targets.

You appear to not understand that when someone is opposed to using the bomb on a city without warning, they are against using the bombs against live targets; specifically innocent civilians.
Quote:
Unless you can provide proof of time travel, post-war statements don't count as wartime advice.

Did you not see that Bard, as a member of the Interim Committee, dissented from using the bomb on innocent civilians? Did you not see that the Interim Committee was organized to advise the President? Did you not know that the advice was asked for before the dropping of the bomb?

The fact is that the documented statements from most of the military leaders of that time denounced the use of the atom bomb as unnecessary and without merit. There is no one here who doesn't see the unreasonableness of your effort to render their statements null and void simply because they spoke after the bombs were dropped. So just to clarify your position, you believe that they didn't oppose dropping the bombs just before they were dropped, and that they suddenly did an about-face and opposed it just after they were dropped. Is that right?
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

US Strategic Bombing Survey Verdict

After studying this matter in great detail, the United States Strategic Bombing Survey rejected the notion that Japan gave up because of the atomic bombings. In its authoritative 1946 report, the Survey concluded:
The Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombs did not defeat Japan, nor by the testimony of the enemy leaders who ended the war did they persuade Japan to accept unconditional surrender. The Emperor, the Lord Privy Seal, the Prime Minister, the Foreign Minister, and the Navy Minister had decided as early as May of 1945 that the war should be ended even if it meant acceptance of defeat on allied terms ...

The mission of the Suzuki government, appointed 7 April 1945, was to make peace. An appearance of negotiating for terms less onerous than unconditional surrender was maintained in order to contain the military and bureaucratic elements still determined on a final Bushido defense, and perhaps even more importantly to obtain freedom to create peace with a minimum of personal danger and internal obstruction. It seems clear, however, that in extremis the peacemakers would have peace, and peace on any terms. This was the gist of advice given to Hirohito by the Jushin in February, the declared conclusion of Kido in April, the underlying reason for Koiso's fall in April, the specific injunction of the Emperor to Suzuki on becoming premier which was known to all members of his cabinet ...

Negotiations for Russia to intercede began the forepart of May 1945 in both Tokyo and Moscow. Konoye, the intended emissary to the Soviets, stated to the Survey that while ostensibly he was to negotiate, he received direct and secret instructions from the Emperor to secure peace at any price, notwithstanding its severity ...

It seems clear ... that air supremacy and its later exploitation over Japan proper was the major factor which determined the timing of Japan's surrender and obviated any need for invasion.

Based on a detailed investigation of all the facts and supported by the testimony of the surviving Japanese leaders involved, it is the Survey's opinion that certainly prior to 31 December 1945 and in all probability prior to 1 November 1945 [the date of the planned American invasion], Japan would have surrendered even if the atomic bombs had not been dropped, even if Russia had not entered the war, and even if no invasion had been planned or contemplated.
Quote:
The report that Truman received on the question of non-lethal demonstrations is that some people had proposed a non-lethal demonstration, but top nuclear scientists had considered it and found that it just wasn't possible.

If you're talking about Compton, Lawrence, Oppenheimer, and Fermi, here is what they said concerning their credentials when it comes to this issue:

"With regard to these general aspects of the use of atomic energy, it is clear that we, as scientific men, have no proprietary rights. It is true that we are among the few citizens who have had occasion to give thoughtful consideration to these problems during the past few years. We have, however, no claim to special competence in solving the political, social, and military problems which are presented by the advent of atomic power."

From your link:

"Ten days later, at Oppenheimer's invitation, Lawrence, Fermi, and I spend a long week end at Los Alamos. We were keenly aware of our responsibility as the scientific advisers to the Interim Committee. Among our colleagues were the scientists who supported Franck in suggesting a nonmilitary demonstration only . We thought of the fighting men who were set for an invasion which would be so very costly in both American and Japanese lives. We were determined to find, if we could, some effective way of demonstrating the power of an atomic bomb without loss of life that would impress Japan's warlords. If only this could be done!"

I assume that this is the segment that you interpreted as explaining the impossibility of dropping the bomb in a nonlethal demonstration. Well, true their earlier word concerning their lack of competence regarding solutions to social and military problems, their assessment of the impossibility of a nonlethal demonstration is proven false according to the U.S. Strategic Bombing Sruvey Verdict, which assesses that it seems clear that air supremacy and its later exploitation over Japan proper was the major factor which determined the timing of Japan's surrender and obviated any need for invasion. But didn't all of those military leaders say the same thing? Yes they did. And trust me when I tell you that no one believes your claim that they all felt that way only after the event.
oralloy

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2018 10:46 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

Bard did not object to using the A-bombs on live targets. He merely suggested that we should issue the Potsdam Proclamation before using the A-bombs.

The US followed his advice. We issued the Potsdam Proclamation before we dropped the A-bombs.

Glennn wrote:
You appear to not understand that when someone is opposed to using the bomb on a city without warning, they are against using the bombs against live targets;

That's because I adhere to reality.

Glennn wrote:
specifically innocent civilians.

The A-bombs were dropped on military targets.

Glennn wrote:
Did you not see that Bard, as a member of the Interim Committee, dissented from using the bomb on innocent civilians?

Once again the A-bombs were dropped on military targets.

The fact that I addressed his proposal is evidence that I am aware of what he proposed.

Glennn wrote:
Did you not see that the Interim Committee was organized to advise the President? Did you not know that the advice was asked for before the dropping of the bomb?

The interim committee advised that there was no alternative but to use the A-bombs against a live target.

Glennn wrote:
The fact is that the documented statements from most of the military leaders of that time denounced the use of the atom bomb as unnecessary and without merit.

Unless you can provide proof that time machines exist, post-war statements do not count as wartime advice.

Glennn wrote:
There is no one here who doesn't see the unreasonableness of your effort to render their statements null and void simply because they spoke after the bombs were dropped.

When their statements are being presented in an attempt to back an untrue claim that these people offered such advice to Truman during the war, it is entirely reasonable to point out that these statements came only after the war was over.

I doubt that anyone here thinks that it is unreasonable for me to debunk untrue claims.

Glennn wrote:
So just to clarify your position, you believe that they didn't oppose dropping the bombs just before they were dropped, and that they suddenly did an about-face and opposed it just after they were dropped. Is that right?

No. That's not right.

My position is what I clearly state that it is.

Glennn wrote:
US Strategic Bombing Survey Verdict

Self-serving post-war statements do not count as wartime advice.

Glennn wrote:
It seems clear ... that air supremacy and its later exploitation over Japan proper was the major factor which determined the timing of Japan's surrender and obviated any need for invasion.

Ha!

I know the Strategic Bombing Survey was just a desperate attempt to avoid post-war budget cuts, but really.

Japan's efforts to escape the war began when US ground forces overran Iwo Jima and Okinawa.

Japan's abandonment of their Russia gambit coincided with Russia's declaration of war.

Glennn wrote:
If you're talking about Compton, Lawrence, Oppenheimer, and Fermi, here is what they said concerning their credentials when it comes to this issue:

"With regard to these general aspects of the use of atomic energy, it is clear that we, as scientific men, have no proprietary rights. It is true that we are among the few citizens who have had occasion to give thoughtful consideration to these problems during the past few years. We have, however, no claim to special competence in solving the political, social, and military problems which are presented by the advent of atomic power."

That's nice. They were still the only people with expertise in nuclear weapons, and they were still the people that the government relied on to assess whether a non-lethal demonstration would be feasible or not.

Glennn wrote:
From your link:

"Ten days later, at Oppenheimer's invitation, Lawrence, Fermi, and I spend a long week end at Los Alamos. We were keenly aware of our responsibility as the scientific advisers to the Interim Committee. Among our colleagues were the scientists who supported Franck in suggesting a nonmilitary demonstration only . We thought of the fighting men who were set for an invasion which would be so very costly in both American and Japanese lives. We were determined to find, if we could, some effective way of demonstrating the power of an atomic bomb without loss of life that would impress Japan's warlords. If only this could be done!"

And they unfortunately concluded that no non-lethal demonstration was feasible.

Glennn wrote:
I assume that this is the segment that you interpreted as explaining the impossibility of dropping the bomb in a nonlethal demonstration.

Don't assume. Go by the plain English of my posts.

I clearly referred directly to their advice to the government that they saw no way to carry out a non-lethal demonstration.

Glennn wrote:
Well, true their earlier word concerning their lack of competence regarding solutions to social and military problems, their assessment of the impossibility of a nonlethal demonstration is proven false according to the U.S. Strategic Bombing Sruvey Verdict, which assesses that it seems clear that air supremacy and its later exploitation over Japan proper was the major factor which determined the timing of Japan's surrender and obviated any need for invasion.

It is hard to see how that self-serving nonsense from the Air Force proves anything at all.

But even if the scientists' assessment had been proven false after the war, it would not change the reality that their wartime advice was to use the A-bombs against a live target.

Glennn wrote:
But didn't all of those military leaders say the same thing? Yes they did. And trust me when I tell you that no one believes your claim that they all felt that way only after the event.

I am not responsible for claims that other people imagine that I've made.
MontereyJack

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2018 12:55 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
Unexpected Opposition
Before Little Boy was dropped on Hiroshima, Leo Szilard at Met Lab in Chicago tried to stop its use. Ironically, Szilard had led atomic bomb research in 1939, but since the threat of a German bomb was over, he started a petition to President Truman against bombing Japan. With 88 signatures on the petition, Szilard circulated copies in Chicago and Oak Ridge, only to have the petition quashed at Los Alamos by theoretical physicist J. Robert Oppenheimer.
When General Leslie Groves learned of the petition, he polled the Met Lab scientists and learned that only 15 percent wanted the bomb used "in the most effective military manner." While 46 percent voted for "military demonstration in Japan to be followed by a new opportunity for surrender before full use of the weapon is employed," somehow the figures were manipulated to suggest that 87 percent of the Met Lab scientists favored some sort of military use. Ultimately, Groves sat on Szilard's petition and the poll until August 1, and then had them filed away. President Truman never saw them.

atomicarchive.com
oralloy

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2018 02:08 am
@MontereyJack,
This is:

a) opposition by civilians and not by military men

b) opposition that Truman never even knew about

That is not to diminish the position that these people took, but this certainly does nothing to bolster the untrue claim that military men advised Truman against using the A-bombs.

As I recall, the main cause of Szilard's opposition was not the question of whether Japan was near surrender or not, but rather he believed that military use against Japan would spur mistrust in the minds of the Soviets, which he thought would cause the US and USSR to spiral into a massive nuclear weapons arms race that would jeopardize the human race if war ever broke out.
Glennn

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2018 09:34 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Bard did not object to using the A-bombs on live targets.

Right. He simply dissented from the recommendation to use the bomb against al city without warning. Sounds like he was opposed to using the bombs on live targets to me.
Quote:
That's because I adhere to reality.

Believing that someone who is opposed to using the bomb on a city without warning is in favor of using the bomb on live targets does not reflect an adherence to reality.
Quote:
The A-bombs were dropped on military targets.

A naval sea blockade had reduced resources--including food--to severe levels. And this is to say nothing about the fact that nearly every military leader acknowledged the fact that Japan was already defeated due to the earlier campaign of firebombing that destroyed nearly every major city.

From the Associated Press:

In the spring and summer of 1945, the U.S. Army Air Forces destroyed nearly every major city in Japan. The early raids were daytime, high-altitude bombing runs with many bombs missing their mark. Later the tactic was changed to low-flying, night-time raids that utilized hundreds of B-29 bombers that dropped bombs with napalm and other incendiary chemicals.

From January 1944 to August 1945, the U.S. dropped 157,000 tons of bombs on Japanese cities, according to the U.S. Strategic Bombing Survey. The death toll from the bombings is estimated at more than 300,000, while another 15 million were left homeless. The firebombing of central Tokyo, killed more than 100,000 people and left hundreds of thousands more homeless. Cities in which more than 2,000 people were killed in air raids included Tokyo, Yokohama, Toyama, Shizuoka, Hamanmatsu, Nagoya, Osaka, Kobe, Kure, Kitakyushi and Kagoshima.

Now, are you still going to argue that dropping the atomic bomb on those two cities were necessary to bring about a surrender? As stated by military leaders at that time, the bombs weren't necessary. Do you actually believe that trucks were moving and delivering resources necessary to the war effort after all that firebombing of nearly every major city?

Also, the surrender was the result of the Soviet Union declaring war on Japan one minute after midnight on August 9th.
Quote:
The interim committee advised that there was no alternative but to use the A-bombs against a live target.

Yeah but the truth of the matter is that Japan was already firebombed and strangled (defeated) before the bombs were used, as confirmed by the military leaders of that time. So yes, there was the choice to effect a nonlethal demonstration. The rationale for using it on people is nonexistent considering the facts of the matter.
Quote:
Unless you can provide proof that time machines exist, post-war statements do not count as wartime advice.

The interim committee gave advice based on the preimise that Japan was not already defeated. But it was. The military leaders who voiced the truth concerning Japan's military predicament were not approached nor asked for their advice on the matter. They were under orders to obey the command of the their superiors and not to question them. They did, however, later offer their understanding of the situation as they observed it. You're just still attempting to call their observations null and void because their function was not at the advisory level.
Quote:
Self-serving post-war statements do not count as wartime advice.

Actually, your rejection of the facts put forth by the U.S. Strategic Bombing Survey Verdict and the top military leaders at that time is what is self-serving.
Quote:
That's nice. They were still the only people with expertise in nuclear weapons, and they were still the people that the government relied on to assess whether a non-lethal demonstration would be feasible or not.

Perhaps you would care to explain their reasoning for declaring a nonlethal demonstration impossible.
Quote:
And they unfortunately concluded that no non-lethal demonstration was feasible.

Sure, but then again, they were under the mistaken impression that Japan was not already defeated, and that no ground invasion was going to be necessary, especially with the Soviets invading. They were very ill-informed.
Quote:
It is hard to see how that self-serving nonsense from the Air Force proves anything at all.

That was another of your self-serving assessments of the people involved in real investigation into the matter.
Quote:
But even if the scientists' assessment had been proven false after the war, it would not change the reality that their wartime advice was to use the A-bombs against a live target.

Yes. As I have said, they were ill-informed. Japan was basically on fire with no naval power and no air power to speak of.
Quote:
Glennn wrote:
But didn't all of those military leaders say the same thing? Yes they did. And trust me when I tell you that no one believes your claim that they all felt that way only after the event.

I am not responsible for claims that other people imagine that I've made.

Oh good. So you believe that they felt that way before the event.
oralloy

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2018 10:48 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:
Right. He simply dissented from the recommendation to use the bomb against al city without warning.

Specifically, he asked that we issue the Potsdam Proclamation first.

His advice was followed. We did issue the Potsdam Proclamation first.

Glennn wrote:
Sounds like he was opposed to using the bombs on live targets to me.

Well, you are wrong. He merely asked that we release the Potsdam Proclamation before we used the A-bombs.

Glennn wrote:
Believing that someone who is opposed to using the bomb on a city without warning is in favor of using the bomb on live targets does not reflect an adherence to reality.

Yes it does.

Note that I didn't say he was in favor, only that he did not oppose.

Glennn wrote:
A naval sea blockade had reduced resources--including food--to severe levels.

That does not change the reality that the A-bombs were dropped on military targets.

Glennn wrote:
And this is to say nothing about the fact that nearly every military leader acknowledged the fact that Japan was already defeated due to the earlier campaign of firebombing that destroyed nearly every major city.

That does not change the reality that the A-bombs were dropped on military targets.

They certainly weren't telling the government this during the war when the A-bombs were actually being used.

Glennn wrote:
From the Associated Press:

In the spring and summer of 1945, the U.S. Army Air Forces destroyed nearly every major city in Japan. The early raids were daytime, high-altitude bombing runs with many bombs missing their mark. Later the tactic was changed to low-flying, night-time raids that utilized hundreds of B-29 bombers that dropped bombs with napalm and other incendiary chemicals.

From January 1944 to August 1945, the U.S. dropped 157,000 tons of bombs on Japanese cities, according to the U.S. Strategic Bombing Survey. The death toll from the bombings is estimated at more than 300,000, while another 15 million were left homeless. The firebombing of central Tokyo, killed more than 100,000 people and left hundreds of thousands more homeless. Cities in which more than 2,000 people were killed in air raids included Tokyo, Yokohama, Toyama, Shizuoka, Hamanmatsu, Nagoya, Osaka, Kobe, Kure, Kitakyushi and Kagoshima.

Glennn wrote:
Now, are you still going to argue that dropping the atomic bomb on those two cities were necessary to bring about a surrender?

I have never made such an argument.

I am not responsible for defending arguments that you've imagined that I've made.

Glennn wrote:
As stated by military leaders at that time, the bombs weren't necessary.

They certainly weren't telling the US government this during the war when the A-bombs were being dropped.

Glennn wrote:
Do you actually believe that trucks were moving and delivering resources necessary to the war effort after all that firebombing of nearly every major city?

Perhaps not. But there is the fact that two million Japanese soldiers were already equipped to fight to the death in an attempt to repel our invasion.

Glennn wrote:
Also, the surrender was the result of the Soviet Union declaring war on Japan one minute after midnight on August 9th.

In part, yes.

Glennn wrote:
Yeah but the truth of the matter is that Japan was already firebombed and strangled (defeated) before the bombs were used, as confirmed by the military leaders of that time.

This does not change the reality that the Interim Committee advised that a non-lethal demonstration was not possible.

The military leaders certainly weren't giving such advice to the US government when the A-bombs were being dropped.

Japan may well have been defeated, but they were still refusing to surrender.

Glennn wrote:
So yes, there was the choice to effect a nonlethal demonstration.

Top nuclear scientists concluded that this was not possible.

Glennn wrote:
The rationale for using it on people is nonexistent considering the facts of the matter.

The scientists had a rationale that their conclusions were based on.

Glennn wrote:
The interim committee gave advice based on the preimise that Japan was not already defeated.

That is incorrect. They only considered the question of whether a non-lethal demonstration was possible. The question of whether or not Japan was defeated was not considered by them.

Glennn wrote:
But it was.

And yet Japan was still refusing to surrender.

Glennn wrote:
The military leaders who voiced the truth concerning Japan's military predicament were not approached nor asked for their advice on the matter. They were under orders to obey the command of the their superiors and not to question them. They did, however, later offer their understanding of the situation as they observed it. You're just still attempting to call their observations null and void because their function was not at the advisory level.

And rightly so. If someone is making an untrue claim that these people advised Truman against using the A-bombs, the fact that they didn't advise Truman about the A-bombs is a critical point.

Glennn wrote:
Actually, your rejection of the facts put forth by the U.S. Strategic Bombing Survey Verdict and the top military leaders at that time is what is self-serving.

Only in the sense that my position is served when I point out the truth.

Facts? Ha! Nice try.

Glennn wrote:
Perhaps you would care to explain their reasoning for declaring a nonlethal demonstration impossible.

I remind you of Post: # 6,584,477:

"And here are Compton's recollections of their decision that a non-lethal demonstration would not work:
http://nuclearfiles.org/menu/key-issues/nuclear-weapons/history/pre-cold-war/interim-committee/interim-committee-discussion.htm

In addition to the scientific recommendations, Secretary of State Byrnes feared that if we announced that we would nuke some place in Japan as a demonstration, Japan would then move captured American POWs to that location."

Glennn wrote:
Sure, but then again, they were under the mistaken impression that Japan was not already defeated, and that no ground invasion was going to be necessary, especially with the Soviets invading. They were very ill-informed.

Surely you aren't suggesting that we'd have the Soviets do the entire invasion of Japan while we sat back and did nothing?

I don't know who would object more to such a proposal, Truman or Stalin. Probably Truman, but it'd be close.

Anyway, the question of whether and when Japan was defeated was completely irrelevant to the question of whether a non-lethal demonstration was possible.

Glennn wrote:
That was another of your self-serving assessments of the people involved in real investigation into the matter.

Only in the sense that I am well served by presenting the truth.

Glennn wrote:
Yes. As I have said, they were ill-informed. Japan was basically on fire with no naval power and no air power to speak of.

They probably had no expertise in brain surgery either.

They had expertise in A-bombs however, which is why the government consulted them on the question of whether a non-lethal demonstration was possible or not.

The fact that they had no expertise in brain surgery is probably why the government didn't consult them on questions of brain surgery.

The fact that they had no expertise in whether Japan was defeated is probably why the government never consulted them on the question of whether Japan was defeated.

Glennn wrote:
Oh good. So you believe that they felt that way before the event.

No. I continue to neither know nor care how they felt about the A-bombs before the event.
Glennn

Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2018 08:40 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
His advice was followed. We did issue the Potsdam Proclamation first.

But the Potsdam Proclamation was not a warning concerning the use of the atomic bomb. Please provide reference to the segment of the proclamation that includes a warning that the atomic bomb will be dropped.
Quote:

And saying that does not change the fact that the A-bombs were dropped in the middle of a city full of people. And it doesn't change the fact that dropping them in the first place was unnecessary.
Quote:
They certainly weren't telling the government this during the war when the A-bombs were actually being used.

One would think that the superiors of those military leaders wouldn't need to be told what their subordinates knew. And you already know that their job was to follow orders without question.
Quote:
Glennn wrote:
Now, are you still going to argue that dropping the atomic bomb on those two cities were necessary to bring about a surrender?

I have never made such an argument

That's good, because they weren't necessary.
Quote:
They certainly weren't telling the US government this during the war when the A-bombs were being dropped.

You already understand that their job was to follow orders without question.
Quote:

Perhaps not. But there is the fact that two million Japanese soldiers were already equipped to fight to the death in an attempt to repel our invasion.

I believe it was more like forty-five thousand in Hiroshima. Where did you get the two million figure?
Quote:
Glennn wrote:

In part, yes.

Well let's see. They didn't surrender after the bomb was dropped on Hiroshima, but they did just after the Soviets declared war.
Quote:
This does not change the reality that the Interim Committee advised that a non-lethal demonstration was not possible.

I recall asking you to explain the reasoning behind these scientists' opinion that it was impossible to drop the A-bomb somewhere besides the middle of a city full of people. What have you heard?
Quote:
The military leaders certainly weren't giving such advice to the US government when the A-bombs were being dropped.

Remember, they were under obligation to follow orders without question. That was their job.
Quote:
Top nuclear scientists concluded that this was not possible.

And what was the basis of that conclusion?
Quote:
The scientists had a rationale that their conclusions were based on.

And that conclusion was . . .
Quote:
The question of whether or not Japan was defeated was not considered by them.

Then their opinion concerning the impossibility of dropping the bomb elsewhere was based on what?
Quote:
Glennn wrote:

Only in the sense that my position is served when I point out the truth.

But the truth in this case is that the U.S. Strategic Bombing Survey Verdict which was based on the facts presented after investigation is contrary to your opinion.
Quote:
In addition to the scientific recommendations (which we have yet to hear anything about), Secretary of State Byrnes feared that if we announced that we would nuke some place in Japan as a demonstration, Japan would then move captured American POWs to that location."

Nonsense. There would be no need to disclose exactly where the bombs would be dropped. As I recall, one military leader recommended a forested area. Furthermore, there were twelve American POWs being held in Hiroshima about 1300 feet from ground zero who died. So the concern about worry over U.S. POWs being moved to target areas doesn't really hold water.

Also, from your link:

It was evident that everyone would suspect trickery. If a bomb were exploded in Japan with previous notice, the Japanese air power was still adequate to give serious interference.

This demonstrates that these physicists were unaware of the status of the Japanese air power. And their comment makes no sense when one considers that the Potsdam Proclamation allegedly offered a warning that hell was on the way, and yet there was no interference from Japanese air power. So . . .
Quote:
The fact that they had no expertise in brain surgery is probably why the government didn't consult them on questions of brain surgery.

Right. Makes one wonder why on earth the military would ask those with no expertise concerning military matters whether a nonlethal demonstration would be wise. I'm still waiting to hear an explanation as to why a nonlethal demonstration would have been impossible.
Quote:
No. I continue to neither know nor care how they felt about the A-bombs before the event.

I tend to acknowledge what they had to say after the event, especially when their observations are in lockstep with the observation of the U.S. Strategic Bombing Survey Verdict.

gungasnake

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2018 04:22 am
Actually, they could have dropped those two bombs on Mecca and Medina and sent films of that to the Japanese.....
oralloy

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2018 05:10 am
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:
But the Potsdam Proclamation was not a warning concerning the use of the atomic bomb.

Correct.

Glennn wrote:
Please provide reference to the segment of the proclamation that includes a warning that the atomic bomb will be dropped.

The Potsdam Proclamation did not mention A-bombs.

Glennn wrote:
And saying that does not change the fact that the A-bombs were dropped in the middle of a city full of people.

Collateral damage is always unfortunate. However, someone had to end the reign of terror that Japan was inflicting on the world.

Glennn wrote:
And it doesn't change the fact that dropping them in the first place was unnecessary.

All anyone knew when the A-bombs were being dropped is that Japan was still refusing to surrender. It was anyone's guess what it would take to make them surrender.

Glennn wrote:
One would think that the superiors of those military leaders wouldn't need to be told what their subordinates knew.

All anyone really knew was that Japan was still refusing to surrender.

Glennn wrote:
And you already know that their job was to follow orders without question.

That is the nature of military service.

Glennn wrote:
Where did you get the two million figure?

It includes all the soldiers positioned around Tokyo, all the soldiers positioned in Kyushu, and all the soldiers anywhere in Japan.

The ones in Kyushu probably would have been isolated from our invasion, unless they could get themselves to Honshu, which some would, and some wouldn't.

Our planed invasion was of course right through Kyushu, but with the huge buildup there we were going to change plans and land our soldiers in northern Honshu. This would have prevented the landing from receiving close air support from most of the fighters flying out of Okinawa, but that problem would have been countered by the use of about a dozen A-bombs to clear out resistance ahead of the invading forces.

Glennn wrote:
Well let's see. They didn't surrender after the bomb was dropped on Hiroshima, but they did just after the Soviets declared war.

So in other words: in part, yes.

Glennn wrote:
I recall asking you to explain the reasoning behind these scientists' opinion that it was impossible to drop the A-bomb somewhere besides the middle of a city full of people. What have you heard?

I remind you of Post: # 6,584,477 :

And here are Compton's recollections of their decision that a non-lethal demonstration would not work:
http://nuclearfiles.org/menu/key-issues/nuclear-weapons/history/pre-cold-war/interim-committee/interim-committee-discussion.htm

Glennn wrote:
And what was the basis of that conclusion?

And here are Compton's recollections of their decision that a non-lethal demonstration would not work:

Glennn wrote:
And that conclusion was . . .

"we can propose no technical demonstration likely to bring an end to the war; we see no acceptable alternative to direct military use."

Glennn wrote:
Then their opinion concerning the impossibility of dropping the bomb elsewhere was based on what?

Glennn wrote:
But the truth in this case is that the U.S. Strategic Bombing Survey Verdict which was based on the facts presented after investigation is contrary to your opinion.

No. The truth is that the Strategic Bombing Survey flies in the face of reality.

Glennn wrote:
scientific recommendations (which we have yet to hear anything about),

As far as opposition to a non-lethal demonstration goes, here is a letter written by Enrico Fermi, J. Robert Oppenheimer, Ernest Lawrence, and Arthur Compton saying there was no way to make an effective non-lethal demonstration:
http://www.dannen.com/decision/scipanel.html

Glennn wrote:
Nonsense. There would be no need to disclose exactly where the bombs would be dropped. As I recall, one military leader recommended a forested area. Furthermore, there were twelve American POWs being held in Hiroshima about 1300 feet from ground zero who died. So the concern about worry over U.S. POWs being moved to target areas doesn't really hold water.

Recorded history is quite clear that Secretary Byrnes was concerned that if we announced the location of an A-bomb demonstration, Japan would move captured American POWs to that location.

Twelve POWs is one thing. What if it were a thousand POWs?

Glennn wrote:
Also, from your link:

It was evident that everyone would suspect trickery. If a bomb were exploded in Japan with previous notice, the Japanese air power was still adequate to give serious interference.

This demonstrates that these physicists were unaware of the status of the Japanese air power. And their comment makes no sense when one considers that the Potsdam Proclamation allegedly offered a warning that hell was on the way, and yet there was no interference from Japanese air power. So . . .

How is it that Japan managed to chase the plane with the second A-bomb away from its primary target?

Glennn wrote:
Right. Makes one wonder why on earth the military would ask those with no expertise concerning military matters whether a nonlethal demonstration would be wise.

The question being asked was whether a non-lethal demonstration would be possible.

I remind you of Post: # 6,584,655 :
They were the people with expertise in A-bombs.

And Post: # 6,587,659 :
They were still the only people with expertise in nuclear weapons,

Glennn wrote:
I'm still waiting to hear an explanation as to why a nonlethal demonstration would have been impossible.

Glennn wrote:
I tend to acknowledge what they had to say after the event, especially when their observations are in lockstep with the observation of the U.S. Strategic Bombing Survey Verdict.

I'm not sure that the people who said "naval blockades won the war" were entirely in lockstep with the people who said "conventional air power won the war".

Regardless, I recommend against giving too much credence to claims that are contrary to reality.
Glennn

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2018 09:19 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
All anyone knew when the A-bombs were being dropped is that Japan was still refusing to surrender. It was anyone's guess what it would take to make them surrender.

Their is no guess work as to the certainty of the progressive effects of the naval sea blockade, the complete firebombing of nearly every major city, and the Soviet's declaration of war.
Quote:

I didn't ask for a confirmation that a decision was made. I asked why they concluded that it would be impossible to drop the bomb in a forested area as recommended by one of the military leaders of that time.
Quote:
As far as opposition to a non-lethal demonstration goes, here is a letter written by Enrico Fermi, J. Robert Oppenheimer, Ernest Lawrence, and Arthur Compton saying there was no way to make an effective non-lethal demonstration:
http://www.dannen.com/decision/scipanel.html

From your link:

We could not afford the chance that one of them might be a dud. If the test were made on some neutral territory, it was hard to believe that Japan's determined and fanatical military men would be impressed. If such an open test were made first and failed to bring surrender, the chance would be gone to give the shock of surprise that proved so effective..

If it turned out to be a dud, it wouldn't matter where it was dropped. As far as the concern that dropping it on a neutral target would then eliminate the shock of surprise that proved so effective, the Nagasaki bombing was successful.
Quote:
Recorded history is quite clear that Secretary Byrnes was concerned that if we announced the location of an A-bomb demonstration, Japan would move captured American POWs to that location.

And why would the location of the target have to be announced? It could be announced fifteen minutes ahead of time, leaving no time to move POWs.
Quote:
The question being asked was whether a non-lethal demonstration would be possible.

Of course it was possible, just as the lethal demonstration was possible, as proven by the fact that it was accomplished. Concerning the physicists expertise in matters of military import, here is how they characterized their qualifications:

Quote:
I'm not sure that the people who said "naval blockades won the war" were entirely in lockstep with the people who said "conventional air power won the war".

My meaning was that both the leading military leaders and the authors of the U.S. Strategic Bombing Survey Verdict concurred when it came to the question of whether the bombs were necessary.
camlok

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2018 10:18 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
Recorded history is quite clear that Secretary Byrnes ...

What you really mean is Recorded US propaganda is quite clear that Secretary Byrnes ...
oralloy

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2018 11:17 am
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:
Their is no guess work as to the certainty of the progressive effects of the naval sea blockade, the complete firebombing of nearly every major city, and the Soviet's declaration of war.

No guesswork on the effects of the A-bombs either.

What there was guesswork on was what would finally make Japan surrender.

Glennn wrote:
I didn't ask for a confirmation that a decision was made. I asked why they concluded that it would be impossible to drop the bomb in a forested area as recommended by one of the military leaders of that time.

And I provided a link to one of the very scientists explaining what their reasoning was.

Glennn wrote:
From your link:

We could not afford the chance that one of them might be a dud. If the test were made on some neutral territory, it was hard to believe that Japan's determined and fanatical military men would be impressed. If such an open test were made first and failed to bring surrender, the chance would be gone to give the shock of surprise that proved so effective..

If it turned out to be a dud, it wouldn't matter where it was dropped.

If you tell them to come and see your scary new weapon, and then your weapon proves to not be very scary, that undermines your goal of scaring them.

Glennn wrote:
As far as the concern that dropping it on a neutral target would then eliminate the shock of surprise that proved so effective, the Nagasaki bombing was successful.

The Hiroshima bombing was still likely to have been quite a shock to them.

Glennn wrote:
And why would the location of the target have to be announced?

Probably so they could have witnesses on hand with the expertise to tell definitively that is was an A-bomb.

Although, note that I wasn't on the committee that made the recommendation. If you disagree with their thinking, that is fine. But the fact remains, that was their reasoning and that was their conclusion.

Glennn wrote:
Of course it was possible, just as the lethal demonstration was possible, as proven by the fact that it was accomplished.

If you disagree with their thinking, that is fine. But the fact remains, they concluded that it wasn't possible, and that is what they told the US government.

Glennn wrote:
Concerning the physicists expertise in matters of military import, here is how they characterized their qualifications:

So?

Glennn wrote:
My meaning was that both the leading military leaders and the authors of the U.S. Strategic Bombing Survey Verdict concurred when it came to the question of whether the bombs were necessary.

Better though to consult reputable historians than to rely on the word of people who had a sizable axe to grind.
oralloy

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2018 11:22 am
@camlok,
camlok wrote:
What you really mean is Recorded US propaganda is quite clear that Secretary Byrnes ...

No. The fact of what Byrnes was concerned about is not propaganda.
gungasnake

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2018 12:31 pm
American sources have always maintained that the giant firebomb raid on Tokyo on the night of March 9/10 45 killed something like 90,000 people.

I do not have an easy time believing that. Tokyo was said to be something like 100,000 people per square mile at the time and they torched the entire center of the place, something like 16 square miles. That almost has to equate to killing a million to a million and a half people. Somebody caught up in that **** wouldn't have even had a way to know which way to run, there was an even chance he'd be running INTO it and not out of it.
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2018 02:27 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Better though to consult reputable historians than to rely on the word of people who had a sizable axe to grind.

There are no reputable US historians save for those who remain focused on Grandma So and So's favorite pie recipe. The issues that matter are all glossed over by the voluminous US propaganda memes.

We can tell this is 100% true because of how even the average Joe/Joess is so deeply propagandized to reject in a knee jerk manner, all the total impossibilities found within the USG official conspiracy theory fable.

You know a lot of these total impossibilities, and your reaction, everyone's reaction is to avoid reality, deny reality, deny hard science, deny, deny deny.

The molten/vaporized WTC steel, which alone totally destroys the USGOCT was caused by the US developed, US owned nanothermite which was found in WTC dust. US nanothermite in WTC dust also totally destroys the USGOCT.

All backed by hard science.

That you all ignore these realities illustrates that you all know the USGOCT is completely bogus. Science says so.

The same things have all been done to y'all on all the US WWII lies, the incredible lies that lead sheeple to believe that the US is a good, kind nation.

Nothing but 250 years of pure lies, pure propaganda, pure cognitive dissonance.

Glennn

Reply Sat 3 Feb, 2018 01:30 pm
@gungasnake,
Quote:
Actually, they could have dropped those two bombs on Mecca and Medina and sent films of that to the Japanese.....

Agree. It's kind of a no-brainer that a nonlethal demonstration was not impossible. And even if an announced demonstration had been done live, there would have been no reason why it could not have been done in a way that would leave the Japanese no time to move prisoners of war to that area.