Was it a war crime when US nuked Hiroshima & Nagasaki?

Glennn

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2018 06:28 pm
@centrox,
Quote:
1. Tourette is a proper name.
2. You are being gratuitously insulting.
3. Study the correct use of apostrophes.

Okay, now you've made the transition from regular troll to stalking troll. I'd like to say that you're better than that, but I'm more honest than that.

I hope that pointing out a typo of mine gives you the boost you were looking for. And you don't have to worry about me stalking you from thread to thread pointing out your typos. That would be pretty sad, wouldn't it? Yeah.
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2018 07:06 pm
@centrox,
You make so many huge errors as regards the English language, centrox, that you ought not to be trying to tell others about the English language. On top of that you are very cowardly in that you flee from your numerous errors.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2018 09:53 am
@babsatamelia,
Who gets to say what a 'warcrime' is?
And is there any such thing?

If I go to 'War' - Anything goes.
War has NO limitations.
No matter what clichés you adhere to.
BillW

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2018 10:00 am
@mark noble,
It is real and if the International Laws broken and caught, you will be tried and if convicted, go to prison:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_crime

A war crime is an act that constitutes a serious violation of the laws of war that gives rise to individual criminal responsibility. Examples of war crimes include intentionally killing civilians or prisoners, torture, destroying civilian property, taking hostages, perfidy, rape, using child soldiers, pillaging, declaring that no quarter will be given, and serious violations of the principles of distinction and proportionality, such as strategic bombing of civilian populations.

The concept of war crimes emerged at the turn of the twentieth century when the body of customary international law applicable to warfare between sovereign states was codified. Such codification occurred at the national level, such as with the publication of the Lieber Code in the United States, and at the international level with the adoption of the treaties during the Hague Conventions of 1899 and 1907. Moreover, trials in national courts during this period further helped clarify the law. Following the end of World War II, major developments in the law occurred. Numerous trials of Axis war criminals established the Nuremberg principles, such as notion that war crimes constituted crimes defined by international law. Additionally, the Geneva Conventions in 1949 defined new war crimes and established that states could exercise universal jurisdiction over such crimes. In the late 20th century and early 21st century, following the creation of several international courts, additional categories of war crimes applicable to armed conflicts other than those between states, such as civil wars, were defined.
camlok

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2018 10:24 am
@BillW,
Quote:
A war crime is an act that constitutes a serious violation of the laws of war that gives rise to individual criminal responsibility. Examples of war crimes include intentionally killing civilians or prisoners, torture, destroying civilian property, taking hostages, perfidy, rape, using child soldiers, pillaging, declaring that no quarter will be given, and serious violations of the principles of distinction and proportionality, such as strategic bombing of civilian populations.

This is thee definition of USA actions, on myriad occasions, since WWII.

Why don't you speak up about these things in a direct, personal fashion, BillW?
BillW

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2018 10:37 am
@camlok,
I don't troll well, already wiped mine!
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2018 10:40 am
@BillW,
I understand 'others'' 'laws and regulations', regarding 'sporstmanlike' war, Bill.
Don't ever go to war against me (I have no intentions to war with anyone, ever, btw) - Because Any war I participate in - Will NOT obligue anyone else's Rules.
camlok

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2018 10:50 am
@mark noble,
That is really an ignorant type of argument, Mark. There is international law which describes what actions in war are war crimes and crimes against humanity.
mark noble

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2018 10:57 am
@camlok,
Ok.
Grant me a scenario where I NEED to go to war?
Consider this, though - I am not bound to any culture, creed, nationality, etc.
I have only my dependants to strive for and the rest of you are of no concern to me.
Go for it?
mark noble

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2018 11:04 am
@camlok,
I think, correct me, if wrong, you are referring to 'National war' Nation vs nation?
I'm only referring to war vs me.
I have no national bondage - I live where I live because it suits me - If it comes under attack, I'll relocate.
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2018 09:18 pm
@mark noble,
This has nothing at all to do with whether there is international law defining war crimes and crimes against humanity.

Quote:
I have only my dependants to strive for and the rest of you are of no concern to me.

Go fer it, Wranglerstar!
mark noble

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2018 08:34 am
@camlok,
What an odd response.

History (Empirical) is, loosely, accurate on a few things - One being - How 'ancient' wars totally eradicated entire nations from recorded history.
Without a script or queensbury-rule in sight.

'War' is all out annihilation.
Not 'Weekend at Bernies' with waterbombs in the pool.

There is only one 'war' in this world, today - It's 'psychological' in composition - It is orchestrated, premeditated and keeps the sheep in line.

Every world-leader is in on it (NO EXCEPTIONS) - You are a 'battery-hen' lay your golden-eggs and enjoy the ride.
camlok

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2018 10:44 am
@mark noble,
You would have to be knowledgeable about world history in order to discuss these things.
mark noble

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2018 11:01 am
@camlok,
I agree.
Try me?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2018 07:13 pm
Hiroshima and Nagasaki were military targets, and the US dropped the A-bombs in order to further the goal of forcing Japan to surrender.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2018 02:01 pm
@oralloy,
https://www.quora.com/Did-Japan-really-try-to-surrender-before-the-atomic-bomb-was-dropped-on-Hiroshima

However,
Quote:
The question as to whether America had concrete knowledge of the Pearl Harbor attack is one for which it enjoys plausible deniability, but ample evidence exists of attempts to provoke Japan into war — much of it in plain English. According to a diary entry of Secretary of War Henry Stimson, President Franklin D. Roosevelt stated in late November 1941 that the problem at hand was how to “maneuver” the Japanese “into firing the first shot,” thus enabling the American government to gain the full support of its people. Stimson’s post-Pearl Harbor reaction was that the “Japs” had “solved the whole thing.”

From Answer.com: the attack on Pearl Harbor wasn't illegal. The attack was a surprise by the Japanese who were dependent on the American supply of oil in the Pacific Ocean.
oralloy

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2018 02:47 pm
@cicerone imposter,

Lots and lots of untrue statements on that page. Even the people who try to get it right are wrong about major details.

Japan's request regarding the Emperor (made only after both A-bombs had already been dropped) was that he retain unlimited dictatorial power. We did not grant that request.

While we knew that Japan was contacting Russia, Japan's contacts with Russia were definitely not an offer to surrender. They were little more than a request to let Prince Konoye come to visit.

"Ignoring the Potsdam Proclamation with contempt" sure seems like a rejection of the terms to me.

Japan didn't extend to us any offers of surrender of any sort, conditional or otherwise, until after both A-bombs had already been dropped.

We did not insist on unconditional surrender. The Potsdam Proclamation was a list of generous surrender terms.

cicerone imposter wrote:
However,
Quote:
The question as to whether America had concrete knowledge of the Pearl Harbor attack is one for which it enjoys plausible deniability, but ample evidence exists of attempts to provoke Japan into war — much of it in plain English. According to a diary entry of Secretary of War Henry Stimson, President Franklin D. Roosevelt stated in late November 1941 that the problem at hand was how to “maneuver” the Japanese “into firing the first shot,” thus enabling the American government to gain the full support of its people. Stimson’s post-Pearl Harbor reaction was that the “Japs” had “solved the whole thing.”

From Answer.com: the attack on Pearl Harbor wasn't illegal. The attack was a surprise by the Japanese who were dependent on the American supply of oil in the Pacific Ocean.

Our not being willing to let our oil be used to fuel Japan's genocide of their neighbors is hardly justification for them attacking us.

The Pearl Harbor attack was illegal because they carried out the attack before delivering their declaration of war to us.

Aside from Pearl Harbor, it was also illegal for them to murder American POWs.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2018 03:04 pm
@oralloy,
What is your basis that Japan’s attack was illegal besides your own opinion ?
oralloy

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2018 03:17 pm
@cicerone imposter,
"Because the attack happened without a declaration of war and without explicit warning, the attack on Pearl Harbor was later judged in the Tokyo Trials to be a war crime.[23][24]"
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack_on_Pearl_Harbor
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2018 06:38 am
https://i.imgur.com/E9pxXey.jpg