Was it a war crime when US nuked Hiroshima & Nagasaki?

BillW

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2018 05:14 pm
@oralloy,
With a limit number of American casualties.....yes, that is one conclusion from this article. Plus, this wasn't a morality test as it goes both ways; therefore, canceling it out, for another. As ci pointed out.
oralloy

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2018 05:18 pm
@BillW,
Limiting American casualties was nice, but if Japan had stubbornly refused to surrender even after the A-bombs, even after blockade/starvation, and even after Russia entering the war against them, the US was planning on going ahead with an invasion that would have been horribly bloody on both sides.

Luckily for everyone they surrendered before that happened.
BillW

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2018 05:29 pm
@oralloy,
This was the primary argument for the bombs. They would have gone to massive carpet/fire bombing of major cities and a probable invasion that would have meant the loss of many American troops - as many as 250,000 casualties. They had proof that the civilians were being mobilized to defend the homeland.

LeMay, btw, was against the A-bomb, not on moral grounds, but because he wanted to continue to carpet/fire bomb everything. Without a doubt, I would have preferred neither, but Japan was told Tokyo was next.
BillW

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2018 06:07 pm
@BillW,
The firebombing campaign left some 5 million people homeless throughout Japan, killing perhaps 500,000 civilians and wounding another 400,000 — excluding the Hiroshima and Nagasaki victims. - Wiki

And, this wasn't if they continued bombing.

Over the next two to four months, the acute effects of the atomic bombings killed 90,000–146,000 people in Hiroshima and 39,000–80,000 people in Nagasaki; roughly half of the deaths in each city occurred on the first day.

If this is your test of morality, so be it. My test is that Japan was being given the opportunity to Unconditionally Surrender, and didn't. My test was to save the lives of Allied forces.
Glennn

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2018 08:39 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Leahy didn't say anything like that when the A-bombs were being dropped.

Considering his obvious revulsion to the use of the bombs being used on women and children, it would be disingenuous of you to pretend that he didn't hold that same view when the bombs were being dropped or even before.

In fact . . .

Privately, on June 18, 1945--almost a month before the Emperor's July intervention to seek an end to the war and seven weeks before the atomic bomb was used--Leahy recorded in his diary:

It is my opinion at the present time that a surrender of Japan can be arranged with terms that can be accepted by Japan and that will make fully satisfactory provisions for America's defense against future trans-Pacific aggression. (See p. 324, Chapter 26)
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So now that we've established that, contrary to what you've been believing concerning the time at which Leahy said that the a surrender of Japan can be arranged, can we move on to the next military leader; specifically what he said and when he said it?
oralloy

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2018 09:10 pm
@BillW,
BillW wrote:
My test is that Japan was being given the opportunity to Unconditionally Surrender, and didn't. My test was to save the lives of Allied forces.

Actually we were more generous than even that. The Potsdam Proclamation was a list of surrender terms. We offered them an opportunity for a conditional surrender and they rejected it.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2018 09:11 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:
Considering his obvious revulsion to the use of the bombs being used on women and children,

Hiroshima was destroyed because it was a major military center with tens of thousands of Japanese soldiers and held one of the most important military headquarters in Japan.

The second A-bomb was directed at large weapons factories.

Glennn wrote:
it would be disingenuous of you to pretend that he didn't hold that same view when the bombs were being dropped or even before.

Luckily for me I'm not pretending anything, and am merely pointing out the historical fact that Leahy did not voice any opposition to using the A-bombs when they were actually being used.

Glennn wrote:
In fact . . .

Privately, on June 18, 1945--almost a month before the Emperor's July intervention to seek an end to the war and seven weeks before the atomic bomb was used--Leahy recorded in his diary:

It is my opinion at the present time that a surrender of Japan can be arranged with terms that can be accepted by Japan and that will make fully satisfactory provisions for America's defense against future trans-Pacific aggression. (See p. 324, Chapter 26)

Not a statement of opposition to using the A-bombs on a live target.

Also a private note to his diary that no one else in the government likely had any knowledge of.

Glennn wrote:
can we move on to the next military leader; specifically what he said and when he said it?

I'm just responding to what is posted. However, do note that Leahy never expressed any opposition to using the A-bombs when they were actually being used.
Glennn

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2018 09:29 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Hiroshima was destroyed because it was a major military center with tens of thousands of Japanese soldiers and held one of the most important military headquarters in Japan.

Ninety percent of those who were destroyed were innocent civilians. And of course, there is the fact that most military leaders said that the bombs were unnecessary, or that they had virtually no impact militarily. Are you pulling rank on these military leaders?
Quote:
Also a private note to his diary that no one else in the government likely had any knowledge of.

Whether or not anyone was aware of it does not detract from the opposition expressed in it.
Quote:
However, do note that Leahy never expressed any opposition to using the A-bombs when they were actually being used.

Um, I just showed you what he wrote in a diary. It appears that you will accept nothing presented to you which is inconvenient to your belief that no military leaders opposed the use of the bomb.
Glennn

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2018 09:44 pm
@oralloy,
Let's move on.

In his "third person" autobiography (co-authored with Walter Muir Whitehill) the commander in chief of the U.S. Fleet and chief of Naval Operations, Ernest J. King, stated:

The President in giving his approval for these [atomic] attacks appeared to believe that many thousands of American troops would be killed in invading Japan, and in this he was entirely correct; but King felt, as he had pointed out many times, that the dilemma was an unnecessary one, for had we been willing to wait, the effective naval blockade would, in the course of time, have starved the Japanese into submission through lack of oil, rice, medicines, and other essential materials. (See p. 327, Chapter 26)

Private interview notes taken by Walter Whitehill summarize King's feelings quite simply as: "I didn't like the atom bomb or any part of it." (See p. 329, Chapter 26; See also pp. 327-329)

As Japan faltered in July an effort was made by several top Navy officials--almost certainly including Secretary Forrestal himself--to end the war without using the atomic bomb. Forrestal made a special trip to Potsdam to discuss the issue and was involved in the Atlantic Charter broadcast. Many other top Admirals criticized the bombing both privately and publicly. (Forrestal, see pp. 390-392, Chapter 31; p. 398, Chapter 31) (Strauss, see p. 333, Chapter 26; pp. 393-394, Chapter 31) (Bard, see pp. 225-227, Chapter 18; pp. 390-391, Chapter 31)
________________________________________________________________________________________________

Does that sound like approval or opposition to you?
oralloy

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2018 09:45 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:
Ninety percent of those who were destroyed were innocent civilians.

More like 77% to 85%.

Glennn wrote:
And of course, there is the fact that most military leaders said that the bombs were unnecessary, or that they had virtually no impact militarily.

This doesn't change the reality that the A-bombs were dropped on military targets.

They only said this after the war of course -- unless you count Ike's super-secret conversation that no one even knew about.

Glennn wrote:
Are you pulling rank on these military leaders?

If they say something untrue, yes.

At the moment though I'm mainly pointing out the fact that these military leaders did not express any opposition to using the A-bombs when the A-bombs were actually being used.

Glennn wrote:
Whether or not anyone was aware of it does not detract from the opposition expressed in it.

Setting aside for a moment the fact that there was no opposition expressed in it, the fact that no one else was aware of it means that it is not evidence of him voicing this view to other people (especially to the US government).

Glennn wrote:
Um, I just showed you what he wrote in a diary.

Yes. Notice how nothing that he wrote in that diary entry expressed opposition to using the A-bombs (or even addressed the A-bombs in any way)?

Glennn wrote:
It appears that you will accept nothing presented to you which is inconvenient to your belief that no military leaders opposed the use of the bomb.

It is more a matter of there not being anything to support a contention that military leaders expressed opposition to using the A-bombs when the A-bombs were actually being used.
oralloy

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2018 09:56 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:
In his "third person" autobiography (co-authored with Walter Muir Whitehill) the commander in chief of the U.S. Fleet and chief of Naval Operations, Ernest J. King, stated:

The President in giving his approval for these [atomic] attacks appeared to believe that many thousands of American troops would be killed in invading Japan, and in this he was entirely correct; but King felt, as he had pointed out many times, that the dilemma was an unnecessary one, for had we been willing to wait, the effective naval blockade would, in the course of time, have starved the Japanese into submission through lack of oil, rice, medicines, and other essential materials. (See p. 327, Chapter 26)

Private interview notes taken by Walter Whitehill summarize King's feelings quite simply as: "I didn't like the atom bomb or any part of it." (See p. 329, Chapter 26; See also pp. 327-329)

Self-serving post-war statements are not evidence of wartime opposition to use of the A-bombs.

Also: IF we had been willing to wait.

Note that no one was willing to wait to see if the Navy's hypothesis was true.

Glennn wrote:
As Japan faltered in July an effort was made by several top Navy officials--almost certainly including Secretary Forrestal himself--to end the war without using the atomic bomb. Forrestal made a special trip to Potsdam to discuss the issue and was involved in the Atlantic Charter broadcast. Many other top Admirals criticized the bombing both privately and publicly. (Forrestal, see pp. 390-392, Chapter 31; p. 398, Chapter 31) (Strauss, see p. 333, Chapter 26; pp. 393-394, Chapter 31) (Bard, see pp. 225-227, Chapter 18; pp. 390-391, Chapter 31)

The likelihood that this effort was an attempt to avoid using the A-bombs is just about zero. They were trying to end the war because they wanted to end the war.

At any rate, Japan refused to surrender despite their efforts, thus our continued attacks against Japan, including the use of the A-bombs.

Glennn wrote:
Does that sound like approval or opposition to you?

There were three parts there. The brief post-war statement about not liking the A-bombs could count as post-war opposition.

The two larger paragraphs did not sound like they addressed the subject of A-bombs at all.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2018 09:57 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
If they say something untrue, yes.

I see. So if any of the military leaders involved at the time say something that you disagree with, we should take your word over theirs because they were there and you weren't. Understood.

Anyway:

The commanding general of the U.S. Army Air Forces, Henry H. "Hap" Arnold, gave a strong indication of his views in a public statement only eleven days after Hiroshima was attacked. Asked on August 17 by a New York Times reporter whether the atomic bomb caused Japan to surrender, Arnold said:

The Japanese position was hopeless even before the first atomic bomb fell, because the Japanese had lost control of their own air. (See p. 334, Chapter 27)
In his 1949 memoirs Arnold observed that "it always appeared to us that, atomic bomb or no atomic bomb, the Japanese were already on the verge of collapse." (See p. 334, Chapter 27)

Arnold's deputy, Lieutenant General Ira C. Eaker, summed up his understanding this way in an internal military history interview:

Arnold's view was that it [the dropping of the atomic bomb] was unnecessary. He said that he knew the Japanese wanted peace. There were political implications in the decision and Arnold did not feel it was the military's job to question it. (See p. 335, Chapter 27)

Eaker reported that Arnold told him:

When the question comes up of whether we use the atomic bomb or not, my view is that the Air Force will not oppose the use of the bomb, and they will deliver it effectively if the Commander in Chief decides to use it. But it is not necessary to use it in order to conquer the Japanese without the necessity of a land invasion. (See p. 335, Chapter 27)

[Eaker also recalled: "That was the representation I made when I accompanied General Marshall up to the White House" for a discussion with Truman on June 18, 1945.]
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

That doesn't have the ring of opposition to you?
Quote:
Many other top Admirals criticized the bombing both privately and publicly.

Your answer to that was: "The likelihood that this effort was an attempt to avoid using the A-bombs is just about zero."

I rarely pull out the WTF, but . . .
oralloy

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2018 10:16 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:
I see. So if any of the military leaders involved at the time say something that you disagree with, we should take your word over theirs. Understood.

No. If a military leader says something that conflicts with clearly documented history, you should take the word of clearly documented history over theirs.

Glennn wrote:
Anyway:

The commanding general of the U.S. Army Air Forces, Henry H. "Hap" Arnold, gave a strong indication of his views in a public statement only eleven days after Hiroshima was attacked. Asked on August 17 by a New York Times reporter whether the atomic bomb caused Japan to surrender, Arnold said:

The Japanese position was hopeless even before the first atomic bomb fell, because the Japanese had lost control of their own air. (See p. 334, Chapter 27)

He dodged the reporter's question there. That wasn't a comment about whether the A-bombs caused surrender.

Glennn wrote:
In his 1949 memoirs Arnold observed that "it always appeared to us that, atomic bomb or no atomic bomb, the Japanese were already on the verge of collapse." (See p. 334, Chapter 27)

Let's have his full quote: "It always appeared to us that atomic bomb or no atomic bomb the Japanese were already on the verge of collapse. Nevertheless, the abrupt surrender of Japan came more or less as a surprise, for we had figured we would probably have to drop about four atomic bombs or increase the destructiveness of our B-29 missions by adding heavy bombers from Europe."

By the way, you are aware that I addressed all these points the first time they were posted??
https://able2know.org/topic/1591-56#post-6585682

Glennn wrote:
Arnold's deputy, Lieutenant General Ira C. Eaker, summed up his understanding this way in an internal military history interview:

Arnold's view was that it [the dropping of the atomic bomb] was unnecessary. He said that he knew the Japanese wanted peace. There were political implications in the decision and Arnold did not feel it was the military's job to question it. (See p. 335, Chapter 27)

An admission that he kept quiet and didn't voice opposition to using the bombs is hardly evidence of people voicing opposition to the use of the bombs.

Glennn wrote:

When the question comes up of whether we use the atomic bomb or not, my view is that the Air Force will not oppose the use of the bomb, and they will deliver it effectively if the Commander in Chief decides to use it. But it is not necessary to use it in order to conquer the Japanese without the necessity of a land invasion. (See p. 335, Chapter 27)

[Eaker also recalled: "That was the representation I made when I accompanied General Marshall up to the White House" for a discussion with Truman on June 18, 1945.]

No weapon is ever truly necessary in the sense that a war can probably still be won without using any particular weapon.

That does not change the reality that using all the weapons that you possibly can will do the most to bring down your enemy as quickly as possible.

Glennn wrote:
That doesn't have the ring of opposition to you?

No. I saw nothing about military leaders expressing opposition to the use of the A-bombs when they were actually being used.
oralloy

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2018 10:26 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:
Quote:
Many other top Admirals criticized the bombing both privately and publicly.

Your answer to that was: "The likelihood that this effort was an attempt to avoid using the A-bombs is just about zero."

No. That was one part of my answer to: "As Japan faltered in July an effort was made by several top Navy officials--almost certainly including Secretary Forrestal himself--to end the war without using the atomic bomb. Forrestal made a special trip to Potsdam to discuss the issue and was involved in the Atlantic Charter broadcast."

If you'd like an answer to: "Many other top Admirals criticized the bombing both privately and publicly."

My answer is: "Not during the war they didn't."
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2018 11:07 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
No. If a military leader says something that conflicts with clearly documented history, you should take the word of clearly documented history over theirs.

The top military leaders are the source of documented history when it comes to this kind of thing. You've just decided to accept the narrative as dictated to you by political entities.
Quote:
Let's have his full quote: "It always appeared to us that atomic bomb or no atomic bomb the Japanese were already on the verge of collapse. Nevertheless, the abrupt surrender of Japan came more or less as a surprise, for we had figured we would probably have to drop about four atomic bombs or increase the destructiveness of our B-29 missions by adding heavy bombers from Europe."

The number of bombs, or types of bombs, he figured would have to be dropped does not negate the fact that he believed that they were not necessary to bring the Japanese to the point of collapse, as he made clear that they were already on the verge of collapse.
Quote:
He dodged the reporter's question there. That wasn't a comment about whether the A-bombs caused surrender.

But it was a comment indicating the inevitability of a surrender. You forget that an effective Naval blockade and bombing campaign was causing severe shortages of food and resources everywhere.
Quote:
That does not change the reality that using all the weapons that you possibly can will do the most to bring down your enemy as quickly as possible.

If that were true, then the U.S. would have used the same type of bombs on Iraq and Afghanistan, citizens be damned.
Quote:
No. I saw nothing about military leaders expressing opposition to the use of the A-bombs when they were actually being used.

That's odd. I've been putting up walls of information containing top military leaders expressing their opinion that they did not agree with the decision to use the bombs. But as the commanding general of the U.S. Army Air Forces said, it's not the job of the military to question their political masters' decisions. You are playing the part of a lawyer who is trying to convince a jury that what they are hearing is not really what they are hearing simply because the word "oppose" was not included in statements by military leaders.
_________________________________________________________________________________________

Admiral William F. Halsey, Jr., Commander U.S. Third Fleet, stated publicly in 1946:

The first atomic bomb was an unnecessary experiment. . . . It was a mistake to ever drop it. . . . [the scientists] had this toy and they wanted to try it out, so they dropped it. . . . It killed a lot of Japs, but the Japs had put out a lot of peace feelers through Russia long before.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Personally dictated notes found in the recently opened papers of former Ambassador to the Soviet Union Averell Harriman describe a private 1965 dinner with General Carl "Tooey" Spaatz, who in July 1945 commanded the U.S. Army Strategic Air Force (USASTAF) and was subsequently chief of staff of U.S. Air Forces. Also with them at dinner was Spaatz's one-time deputy commanding general at USASTAF, Frederick L. Anderson. Harriman privately noted:

Both men . . . felt Japan would surrender without use of the bomb, and neither knew why the second bomb was used. (See p. 337, Chapter 27)
Harriman's notes also recall his own understanding:

I know this attitude is correctly described, because I had it from the Air Force when I was in Washington in April '45.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

In an official 1962 interview Spaatz stated that he had directly challenged the Nagasaki bombing:

I thought that if we were going to drop the atomic bomb, drop it on the outskirts--say in Tokyo Bay--so that the effects would not be as devastating to the city and the people. I made this suggestion over the phone between the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings and I was told to go ahead with our targets.

Spaatz insisted on receiving written orders before going forward with the atomic bombings in 1945. Subsequently, Lieutenant General Thomas Handy, Marshall's deputy chief of staff, recalled:

Well, Tooey Spaatz came in . . . he said, "They tell me I am supposed to go out there and blow off the whole south end of the Japanese Islands. I've heard a lot about this thing, but my God, I haven't had a piece of paper yet and I think I need a piece of paper." "Well," I said, "I agree with you, Tooey. I think you do," and I said, "I guess I'm the fall guy to give it to you."

In 1962 Spaatz himself recalled that he gave "notification that I would not drop an atomic bomb on verbal orders--they had to be written--and this was accomplished."
Spaatz also stated that

"The dropping of the atomic bomb was done by a military man under military orders. We're supposed to carry out orders and not question them. "

(I hope this answers your question regarding the absence of the word "opposed" in all of these quoted statements I've been providing you with).

In a 1965 Air Force oral history interview Spaatz stressed: "That was purely a political decision, wasn't a military decision. The military man carries out the order of his political bosses."
oralloy

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2018 11:57 am
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:
The top military leaders are the source of documented history when it comes to this kind of thing.

No they aren't.

Glennn wrote:
You've just decided to accept the narrative as dictated to you by political entities.

No. I've chosen to adhere to clearly documented facts.

Glennn wrote:
The number of bombs, or types of bombs, he figured would have to be dropped does not negate the fact that he believed that they were not necessary to bring the Japanese to the point of collapse, as he made clear that they were already on the verge of collapse.

That is incorrect. He directly stated that he thought we'd have to hit them a lot more before they collapsed.

Glennn wrote:
But it was a comment indicating the inevitability of a surrender.

And that was not what the reporter had asked him about.

Glennn wrote:
You forget that an effective Naval blockade and bombing campaign was causing severe shortages of food and resources everywhere.

I haven't forgotten that.

Glennn wrote:
If that were true, then the U.S. would have used the same type of bombs on Iraq and Afghanistan, citizens be damned.

It is very true. Using all the weapons that you possibly can will indeed do the most to bring down your enemy as quickly as possible.

Glennn wrote:
That's odd. I've been putting up walls of information containing top military leaders expressing their opinion that they did not agree with the decision to use the bombs.

Except for Ike's super-secret conversation with Stimson that no one else in the government even knew about, none of your quotes involve expressions of opposition to using the bombs when they were actually being used.

Glennn wrote:
But as the commanding general of the U.S. Army Air Forces said, it's not the job of the military to question their political masters' decisions. You are playing the part of a lawyer who is trying to convince a jury that what they are hearing is not really what they are hearing simply because the word "oppose" was not included in statements by military leaders.

No. I am playing the part of someone who is pointing out the recorded fact that no military leaders expressed opposition to using the A-bombs when they were actually being used, except for one super-secret conversation that no one else in the government even knew about.

Glennn wrote:
Admiral William F. Halsey, Jr., Commander U.S. Third Fleet, stated publicly in 1946:

The first atomic bomb was an unnecessary experiment. . . . It was a mistake to ever drop it. . . . [the scientists] had this toy and they wanted to try it out, so they dropped it. . . .

They dropped the A-bombs because they wanted Japan to surrender.

I see you're going to keep cut-and-pasting things that I've already answered. You do realize that the answers aren't going to change if you repeat the question?

Glennn wrote:
It killed a lot of Japs, but the Japs had put out a lot of peace feelers through Russia long before.

Vague and unspecific contacts with Russia are not a surrender offer to the US.

If Japan had wanted to avoid the A-bombs, the only way to have done so was by surrendering to us before we dropped the A-bombs.

Glennn wrote:
Personally dictated notes found in the recently opened papers of former Ambassador to the Soviet Union Averell Harriman describe a private 1965 dinner with General Carl "Tooey" Spaatz, who in July 1945 commanded the U.S. Army Strategic Air Force (USASTAF) and was subsequently chief of staff of U.S. Air Forces. Also with them at dinner was Spaatz's one-time deputy commanding general at USASTAF, Frederick L. Anderson. Harriman privately noted:

Both men . . . felt Japan would surrender without use of the bomb, and neither knew why the second bomb was used. (See p. 337, Chapter 27)

I know this attitude is correctly described, because I had it from the Air Force when I was in Washington in April '45.

Japan would indeed have eventually surrendered without the use of the A-bombs. The point of the A-bombs was to help speed that surrender along.

The second A-bomb was used because Japan hadn't surrendered yet.

Glennn wrote:
In an official 1962 interview Spaatz stated that he had directly challenged the Nagasaki bombing:

I thought that if we were going to drop the atomic bomb, drop it on the outskirts--say in Tokyo Bay--so that the effects would not be as devastating to the city and the people. I made this suggestion over the phone between the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings and I was told to go ahead with our targets.

And yet Spaatz is one of the four generals who is on official record reacting to Nagasaki by pressing to have the next A-bomb dropped on Tokyo (not on Tokyo Bay).

Glennn wrote:
Spaatz insisted on receiving written orders before going forward with the atomic bombings in 1945. Subsequently, Lieutenant General Thomas Handy, Marshall's deputy chief of staff, recalled:

Well, Tooey Spaatz came in . . . he said, "They tell me I am supposed to go out there and blow off the whole south end of the Japanese Islands. I've heard a lot about this thing, but my God, I haven't had a piece of paper yet and I think I need a piece of paper." "Well," I said, "I agree with you, Tooey. I think you do," and I said, "I guess I'm the fall guy to give it to you."

In 1962 Spaatz himself recalled that he gave "notification that I would not drop an atomic bomb on verbal orders--they had to be written--and this was accomplished."
Spaatz also stated that

"The dropping of the atomic bomb was done by a military man under military orders. We're supposed to carry out orders and not question them. "

Not opposition to use of the A-bombs.

Glennn wrote:
(I hope this answers your question regarding the absence of the word "opposed" in all of these quoted statements I've been providing you with).

I didn't have any questions. I'm already fully aware of what these people all said.

Notice how every single one of these statements offer no opposition to using the A-bombs at the time that they were actually being used.

Glennn wrote:
In a 1965 Air Force oral history interview Spaatz stressed: "That was purely a political decision, wasn't a military decision. The military man carries out the order of his political bosses."

Not opposition to use of the A-bombs.
Glennn

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2018 12:31 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Notice how every single one of these statements offer no opposition to using the A-bombs at the time that they were actually being used.

You're ignoring the fact that the quotes from top military officials come just short of declaring that they were opposed to using atomic bombs on the populations of those cities. Their reluctance to state what they really felt is explained by this:

They carried out their orders and did not question them. They did, however, indicate as clear as possible that Japan was already defeated, that Japan was being strangled by a naval blockade, that food and resources were scarce, and that the bombing was not necessary. You are using their reluctance to speak out against superiors whom they are under orders to not question as proof that they were not opposed to bombing innocent civilians with atomic bombs. Using their understandable reluctance to challenge orders from their superiors as a way to detract from what they all did say will not make what they all said not true.

It doesn't matter that you won't draw the obvious conclusion from the quotes of the top military leaders concerning the use of atomic bombs on the innocent people of an already defeated country. Anyone can read them and and understand exactly what they meant.
oralloy

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2018 05:03 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:
You're ignoring the fact that the quotes from top military officials come just short of declaring that they were opposed to using atomic bombs on the populations of those cities.

With the exception of Ike's super-secret conversation with Stimson that no one else in the government even knew about, no military official made any such declaration (or near declaration) when the A-bombs were being dropped.

Glennn wrote:
Their reluctance to state what they really felt is explained by this:
"The dropping of the atomic bomb was done by a military man under military orders. We're supposed to carry out orders and not question them."

They carried out their orders and did not question them.

So in other words, they offered no opposition to using the A-bombs when the A-bombs were being used.

Glennn wrote:
They did, however, indicate as clear as possible that Japan was already defeated, that Japan was being strangled by a naval blockade, that food and resources were scarce, and that the bombing was not necessary.

Not when the A-bombs were being dropped they didn't.

I'm curious, is the mass starvation of 10 million Japanese civilians (to say nothing of all the non-Japanese civilians dying under the tender mercies of Japanese occupation) being offered as morally superior to the deaths of 200,000 people via A-bombs?

Glennn wrote:
You are using their reluctance to speak out against superiors whom they are under orders to not question as proof that they were not opposed to bombing innocent civilians with atomic bombs.

No. I am using the recorded fact that they didn't speak out against the A-bombs when the A-bombs were being used, as proof that they didn't speak out against the A-bombs when the A-bombs were being used.

And of course, the A-bombs were dropped on military targets.

Glennn wrote:
Using their understandable reluctance to challenge orders from their superiors as a way to detract from what they all did say will not make what they all said not true.

They didn't say anything at all in opposition to using the A-bombs when the A-bombs were being used.

Glennn wrote:
It doesn't matter that you won't draw the obvious conclusion from the quotes of the top military leaders concerning the use of atomic bombs on the innocent people of an already defeated country. Anyone can read them and and understand exactly what they meant.

The obvious conclusion from the recorded fact that they offered no opposition whatsoever to using the A-bombs when the A-bombs were being used, is that they offered no opposition whatsoever to using the A-bombs when the A-bombs were being used.
Glennn

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2018 06:18 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
no military official made any such declaration (or near declaration) when the A-bombs were being dropped.
Quote:
they offered no opposition to using the A-bombs when the A-bombs were being used.
Quote:
Not when the A-bombs were being dropped they didn't.
Quote:
They didn't say anything at all in opposition to using the A-bombs when the A-bombs were being used.

You continue to refuse to acknowledge that the military leaders of that time were legally obligated to obey the orders of their political masters without question. I've provided the quote from one of those leaders stating as much. Your argument that they weren't opposed to using the atomic bomb on those cities and people only holds up if we ignore the fact that they were bound by duty to obey and not question the decisions of their superiors.

You would think that if they weren't opposed, as you say they weren't, their statements after the bombing would reflect that. But the fact is that their statements after the bombing do not reflect anything like approval.
Quote:
I'm curious, is the mass starvation of 10 million Japanese civilians (to say nothing of all the non-Japanese civilians dying under the tender mercies of Japanese occupation) being offered as morally superior to the deaths of 200,000 people via A-bombs?

Why on earth would you think that a surrender wouldn't come long before that happened? After all, you believe that the killing of a couple hundred thousand caused them to surrender. That's not very logical.
Glennn

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2018 06:32 pm
@oralloy,
American Military Leaders Urge President Truman not to Drop the Atomic Bomb.

The Joint Chiefs of Staff never formally studied the decision and never made an official recommendation to the President. Brief informal discussions may have occurred, but no record even of these exists. There is no record whatsoever of the usual extensive staff work and evaluation of alternative options by the Joint Chiefs, nor did the Chiefs ever claim to be involved. (See p. 322, Chapter 26)

(Perhaps this explains the absence of statements of opposition).

In official internal military interviews, diaries and other private as well as public materials, literally every top U.S. military leader involved subsequently stated that the use of the bomb was not dictated by military necessity.

Navy Leaders

(Partial listing:
See Chapter 26 for an extended discussion)

In his memoirs Admiral William D. Leahy, the President's Chief of Staff--and the top official who presided over meetings of both the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the Combined U.S.-U.K. Chiefs of Staff--minced few words:

[T]he use of this barbarous weapon at Hiroshima and Nagasaki was of no material assistance in our war against Japan. The Japanese were already defeated and ready to surrender. . . .

n being the first to use it, we . . . adopted an ethical standard common to the barbarians of the Dark Ages. I was not taught to make war in that fashion, and wars cannot be won by destroying women and children. (See p. 3, Introduction)

Fleet Admiral Chester W. Nimitz, Commander in Chief of the Pacific Fleet stated in a public address given at the Washington Monument on October 5, 1945:

The Japanese had, in fact, already sued for peace before the atomic age was announced to the world with the destruction of Hiroshima and before the Russian entry into the war. (See p. 329, Chapter 26) . . . [Nimitz also stated: "The atomic bomb played no decisive part, from a purely military standpoint, in the defeat of Japan. . . ."]
In a private 1946 letter to Walter Michels of the Association of Philadelphia Scientists, Nimitz observed that "the decision to employ the atomic bomb on Japanese cities was made on a level higher than that of the Joint Chiefs of Staff." (See pp. 330-331, Chapter 26)

The first atomic bomb was an unnecessary experiment. . . . It was a mistake to ever drop it. . . . [the scientists] had this toy and they wanted to try it out, so they dropped it. . . . It killed a lot of Japs, but the Japs had put out a lot of peace feelers through Russia long before. (See p. 331, Chapter 26)

Time-Life editor Henry R. Luce later recalled that during a May-June 1945 tour of the Pacific theater:

. . . I spent a morning at Cavite in the Philippines with Admiral Frank Wagner in front of huge maps. Admiral Wagner was in charge of air search-and-patrol of all the East Asian seas and coasts. He showed me that in all those millions of square miles there was literally not a single target worth the powder to blow it up; there were only junks and mostly small ones at that.

Similarly, I dined one night with Admiral [Arthur] Radford [later Joint Chiefs Chairman, 1953-57] on the carrier Yorktown leading a task force from Ulithi to bomb Kyushu, the main southern island of Japan. Radford had invited me to be alone with him in a tiny room far up the superstructure of the Yorktown, where not a sound could be heard. Even so, it was in a whisper that he turned to me and said: "Luce, don't you think the war is over?" My reply, of course, was that he should know better than I. For his part, all he could say was that the few little revetments and rural bridges that he might find to bomb in Kyushu wouldn't begin to pay for the fuel he was burning on his task force. (See pp. 331-332, Chapter 26)

The Under-Secretary of the Navy, Ralph Bard, formally dissented from the Interim Committee's recommendation to use the bomb against a city without warning. In a June 27, 1945 memorandum Bard declared:

Ever since I have been in touch with this program I have had a feeling that before the bomb is actually used against Japan that Japan should have some preliminary warning for say two or three days in advance of use. The position of the United States as a great humanitarian nation and the fair play attitude of our people generally is responsible in the main for this feeling.

During recent weeks I have also had the feeling very definitely that the Japanese government may be searching for some opportunity which they could use as a medium of surrender. Following the three-power conference emissaries from this country could contact representatives from Japan somewhere on the China Coast and make representations with regard to Russia's position and at the same time give them some information regarding the proposed use of atomic power, together with whatever assurances the President might care to make with regard to the Emperor of Japan and the treatment of the Japanese nation following unconditional surrender. It seems quite possible to me that this presents the opportunity which the Japanese are looking for.

I don't see that we have anything in particular to lose in following such a program. The stakes are so tremendous that it is my opinion very real consideration should be given to some plan of this kind. I do not believe under present circumstances existing that there is anyone in the country whose evaluation of the chances of the success of such a program is worth a great deal. The only way to find out is to try it out. (See pp. 225-226, Chapter 18)

Rear Admiral L. Lewis Strauss, special assistant to the Secretary of the Navy from 1944 to 1945 (and later chairman of the Atomic Energy Commission), replaced Bard on the Interim Committee after he left government on July 1. Subsequently, Strauss repeatedly stated his belief that the use of the atomic bomb "was not necessary to bring the war to a successful conclusion. . . ." (See p. 332, Chapter 26) Strauss recalled:

I proposed to Secretary Forrestal at that time that the weapon should be demonstrated. . . . Primarily, it was because it was clear to a number of people, myself among them, that the war was very nearly over. The Japanese were nearly ready to capitulate. . . . My proposal to the Secretary was that the weapon should be demonstrated over some area accessible to the Japanese observers, and where its effects would be dramatic. I remember suggesting that a good place--satisfactory place for such a demonstration would be a large forest of cryptomaria [sic] trees not far from Tokyo. The cryptomaria tree is the Japanese version of our redwood. . . . I anticipated that a bomb detonated at a suitable height above such a forest . . . would [have] laid the trees out in windrows from the center of the explosion in all directions as though they had been matchsticks, and of course set them afire in the center. It seemed to me that a demonstration of this sort would prove to the Japanese that we could destroy any of their cities, their fortifications at will. . . . (See p. 333, Chapter 26)

In a private letter to Navy historian Robert G. Albion concerning a clearer assurance that the Emperor would not be displaced, Strauss observed:

This was omitted from the Potsdam declaration and as you are undoubtedly aware was the only reason why it was not immediately accepted by the Japanese who were beaten and knew it before the first atomic bomb was dropped. (See p. 393, Chapter 31)

Air Force Leaders

(Partial listing:
See Chapter 27 for an extended discussion)

On September 20, 1945 the famous "hawk" who commanded the Twenty-First Bomber Command, Major General Curtis E. LeMay (as reported in The New York Herald Tribune) publicly:

said flatly at one press conference that the atomic bomb "had nothing to do with the end of the war." He said the war would have been over in two weeks without the use of the atomic bomb or the Russian entry into the war. (See p. 336, Chapter 27)
The text of the press conference provides these details:

LeMay: The war would have been over in two weeks without the Russians entering and without the atomic bomb.
The Press: You mean that, sir? Without the Russians and the atomic bomb?
. . .
LeMay: The atomic bomb had nothing to do with the end of the war at all.
(See p. 336, Chapter 27)
On other occasions in internal histories and elsewhere LeMay gave even shorter estimates of how long the war might have lasted (e.g., "a few days"). (See pp. 336-341, Chapter 27)

I know this attitude is correctly described, because I had it from the Air Force when I was in Washington in April '45. (See p. 337, Chapter 27)

I thought that if we were going to drop the atomic bomb, drop it on the outskirts--say in Tokyo Bay--so that the effects would not be as devastating to the city and the people. I made this suggestion over the phone between the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings and I was told to go ahead with our targets. (See p. 345, Chapter 27)

Well, Tooey Spaatz came in . . . he said, "They tell me I am supposed to go out there and blow off the whole south end of the Japanese Islands. I've heard a lot about this thing, but my God, I haven't had a piece of paper yet and I think I need a piece of paper." "Well," I said, "I agree with you, Tooey. I think you do," and I said, "I guess I'm the fall guy to give it to you." (pp. 344-345, Chapter 27)
In 1962 Spaatz himself recalled that he gave "notification that I would not drop an atomic bomb on verbal orders--they had to be written--and this was accomplished." (p. 345, Chapter 27)
Spaatz also stated that

The dropping of the atomic bomb was done by a military man under military orders. We're supposed to carry out orders and not question them. (See p. 345, Chapter 27)
In a 1965 Air Force oral history interview Spaatz stressed: "That was purely a political decision, wasn't a military decision. The military man carries out the order of his political bosses." (See p. 345, Chapter 27)

Air Force General Claire Chennault, the founder of the American Volunteer Group (the famed "Flying Tigers")--and Army Air Forces commander in China--was even more blunt: A few days after Hiroshima was bombed The New York Times reported Chennault's view that:

Russia's entry into the Japanese war was the decisive factor in speeding its end and would have been so even if no atomic bombs had been dropped. . . . (See pp. 335-336, Chapter 27)

Army Leaders

(Partial listing:
See Chapter 28 for an extended discussion)

On the 40th Anniversary of the bombing former President Richard M. Nixon reported that:

[General Douglas] MacArthur once spoke to me very eloquently about it, pacing the floor of his apartment in the Waldorf. He thought it a tragedy that the Bomb was ever exploded. MacArthur believed that the same restrictions ought to apply to atomic weapons as to conventional weapons, that the military objective should always be limited damage to noncombatants. . . . MacArthur, you see, was a soldier. He believed in using force only against military targets, and that is why the nuclear thing turned him off. . . . (See p. 352, Chapter 28)

The day after Hiroshima was bombed MacArthur's pilot, Weldon E. Rhoades, noted in his diary:

General MacArthur definitely is appalled and depressed by this Frankenstein monster [the bomb]. I had a long talk with him today, necessitated by the impending trip to Okinawa. . . . (See p. 350, Chapter 28)

Former President Herbert Hoover met with MacArthur alone for several hours on a tour of the Pacific in early May 1946. His diary states:

I told MacArthur of my memorandum of mid-May 1945 to Truman, that peace could be had with Japan by which our major objectives would be accomplished. MacArthur said that was correct and that we would have avoided all of the losses, the Atomic bomb, and the entry of Russia into Manchuria. (See pp. 350-351, Chapter 28)

Saturday Review of Literature editor Norman Cousins also later reported that MacArthur told him he saw no military justification for using the atomic bomb, and that "The war might have ended weeks earlier, he said, if the United States had agreed, as it later did anyway, to the retention of the institution of the emperor." (See p. 351, Chapter 28)

In an article reprinted in 1947 by Reader's Digest, Brigadier General Bonner Fellers (in charge of psychological warfare on MacArthur's wartime staff and subsequently MacArthur's military secretary in Tokyo) stated:

Obviously . . . the atomic bomb neither induced the Emperor's decision to surrender nor had any effect on the ultimate outcome of the war." (See p. 352, Chapter 28)

Colonel Charles "Tick" Bonesteel, 1945 chief of the War Department Operations Division Policy Section, subsequently recalled in a military history interview: "[T]he poor damn Japanese were putting feelers out by the ton so to speak, through Russia. . . ." (See p. 359, Chapter 28)

Brigadier Gen. Carter W. Clarke, the officer in charge of preparing MAGIC intercepted cable summaries in 1945, stated in a 1959 interview:

we brought them [the Japanese] down to an abject surrender through the accelerated sinking of their merchant marine and hunger alone, and when we didn't need to do it, and we knew we didn't need to do it, and they knew that we knew we didn't need to do it, we used them as an experiment for two atomic bombs. (See p. 359, Chapter 28)

In a 1985 letter recalling the views of Army Chief of Staff General George C. Marshall, former Assistant Secretary of War John J. McCloy elaborated on an incident that was

very vivid in my mind. . . . I can recall as if it were yesterday, [Marshall's] insistence to me that whether we should drop an atomic bomb on Japan was a matter for the President to decide, not the Chief of Staff since it was not a military question . . . the question of whether we should drop this new bomb on Japan, in his judgment, involved such imponderable considerations as to remove it from the field of a military decision. (See p. 364, Chapter 28)

In a separate memorandum written the same year McCloy recalled: "General Marshall was right when he said you must not ask me to declare that a surprise nuclear attack on Japan is a military necessity. It is not a military problem." (See p. 364, Chapter 28)

In addition:

- On May 29, 1945 Marshall joined with Secretaries Stimson and Forrestal in approving Acting Secretary of State Joseph C. Grew's proposal that the unconditional surrender language be clarified (but, with Stimson, proposed a brief delay). (See pp. 53-54, Chapter 4)

- On June 9, 1945, along with the other members of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Marshall recommended that a statement clarifying the surrender terms be issued on the fall of Okinawa (June 21). (See pp. 55-57, Chapter 4)

- On July 16, 1945 at Potsdam--again along with the other members of the Joint Chiefs --Marshall urged the British Chiefs of Staff to ask Churchill to approach Truman about clarifying the terms. (See pp. 245-246, Chapter 19)

- On July 18, 1945, Marshall led the other members of the Joint Chiefs of Staff in directly urging the president to include language in the Potsdam Proclamation allowing Japan to choose its own form of government. (See pp. 299-300, Chapter 23)

In his memoirs President Dwight D. Eisenhower reports the following reaction when Secretary of War Stimson informed him the atomic bomb would be used:

During his recitation of the relevant facts, I had been conscious of a feeling of depression and so I voiced to him my grave misgivings, first on the basis of my belief that Japan was already defeated and that dropping the bomb was completely unnecessary, and secondly because I thought that our country should avoid shocking world opinion by the use of a weapon whose employment was, I thought, no longer mandatory as a measure to save American lives. . . . (See p. 4, Introduction)

Eisenhower made similar private and public statements on numerous occasions. For instance, in a 1963 interview he said simply: ". . . it wasn't necessary to hit them with that awful thing." (See pp. 352-358, Chapter 28)
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

If, after reading the opinions of these top military leaders, you come away with the idea that none of them were opposed to using atomic bombs on cities full of people, then I guess I'll leave you to your suspicions that they all thought it was a good idea.