In what grade did you learn to....

sozobe

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 08:16 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Diagram a sentence?

I think never. I tested out of English class in seventh grade, I think they went over it then (they didn't test me on that I guess, hah). Sozlet hasn't done it yet.

Quote:
Memorize the multiplication table?

For me it was 2nd or 3rd grade, for sozlet it was third grade (she completed it last year).

Quote:
Learn to write in cursive?

I think it was 2nd or 3rd grade for me, sozlet did it formally last year (3rd grade). (I keep saying "2nd or 3rd grade" because I had the same teacher 1st through 3rd grade and I know she was the person who taught me but can't remember which grade -- probably moot anyway since it was pretty much by ability rather than age/ grade.)

Quote:
Do dissection(s)?

I don't remember, probably at least seventh grade though. Sozlet hasn't done it in school yet.

Quote:
What age did you graduate from high school?

I was 18.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 08:41 am
@boomerang,
I didn't learn to diagram a sentence until college. Diagramming sentences always seemed like a waste of time to me.

Multiplication tables were in 2nd grade, I think.

Some would argue that I never did learn to write in cursive.... My penmanship is atrocious.

Dissections would have been 9th or 10th grade. I didn't do so well on that, either, since the scalpel they gave us wouldn't have worked to cut cheese.

Graduated from High School at 18.
DrewDad

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 08:48 am
@boomerang,
I'll add that while I was taught multiplication tables in second grade I was also taught in my Engineering courses to always, always, always use a calculator.

It's fine to do it in your head when you're calculating a tip, but if it really matters, then you use a calculator. And if it really matters, then you have other people do the calculations independently and you compare your answers.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 09:21 am
Thanks, engineer, Thomas, sozobe and DrewDad!

I'm thinking I should have asked what year you graduated from school instead of how old you are. I think we all fall within a generation of each other on one side or another. I hope some 20-somethings stumble in with answers. Judging from Mo's and sozlet's classes things seem to have shifted a bit.
Thomas

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 09:29 am
@boomerang,
No problem: I graduated 1988.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 10:14 am
@boomerang,
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 10:17 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Learn to write in cursive: Never.

We had all our school books until ... (I think) 3rd grade in cursive.

Edit: perhaps not all. But I do remember how proud I felt when I could read "real" books and that I disliked it very much, when I still got books as presents in cursive.
sozobe

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 10:20 am
@boomerang,
'89.

(So far sozlet's classes seem to be about in line with mine...)
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 10:21 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Diagram a sentence?
no real idea, maybe 5th
Memorize the multiplication table?
no real idea, maybe 3rd
Learn to write in cursive?
3rd grade?
Do dissection(s)?
7th or 8th grade
What age did you graduate from high school?
18 / 1981 (we had grade 13 in Ontario at the time)

I'm just curious.

Thanks!

0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 10:31 am
@boomerang,
I'm in Thomas' and Sozobe's age cohort.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 10:42 am
@DrewDad,
I'm with you, DrewDad. What is the point of it? The only form that made sense to me was structural grammar which was like a formula. I TRIED to learn Transformation grammar in college. Silly, silly, silly.
jespah

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 11:03 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Diagram a sentence? 5th for English, 7th for French, 9th for Spanish

Memorize the multiplication table? 4th, I think

Learn to write in cursive? I could sign my name in cursive while in kindergarten; my folks taught me the rest in I think 1st. Official teaching was in 3rd grade

Do dissection(s)? 7th grade

What age did you graduate from high school? 16

I'm just curious. Thank you for asking!
Linkat

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 11:07 am
@boomerang,
I think my daughter's experience is similar to Mo's age-wise - except the dissections - I think they do it in middle school. However, they begin cursive in kindergarten. Something I found quite odd, but they write much better than I do so who is to argue?

I don't remember diagraming sentences - I had to learn it to test my daughter. I did not dissecte until middle or high school, but I do remember in elementary school having a doctor come in and show us a pig's heart, cutting into it and showing the chambers and so forth.

I don't remember exactly when I did alot of that stuff like multiplying, etc. But it seems my daughters are doing things earlier or at least they have a heck of alot more homework. I don't remember getting much homework until middle school.

I was 18 when I graduated.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 10:34 pm
@ebrown p,
Quote:
Any noun can be verbed.

The term “Bobbittised punishment” gained social acceptance.

http://able2know.org/topic/158723-22#post-4293152
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 10:59 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Thomas wrote:

Learn to write in cursive: Never.

We had all our school books until ... (I think) 3rd grade in cursive.

Ooooh---I think I misunderstood Boomerang's usage of the word 'cursive'.

Boomerang, did you mean "cursive" as in "italic" (German: "kursiv"), or did you mean "cursive" as in "script", (German: "Schreibschrift"). We learned "script" in first grade and never stopped using it. We didn't start reading regular roman type until the end of first grade.
JTT

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 11:19 pm
@Thomas,
She means writing, in cursive style as opposed to printing, Thomas.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 11:20 pm
@Thomas,
Well, in that case: I've never learnt to write italic, too.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 05:04 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Thanks, Roberta!

Do you find that sentence diagramming skills are useful in your career?

Never once in my entire career have I diagrammed a sentence. You can learn the basics of grammar without all those boxes and connective lines and whatever else they did.

BTW, I said I never did dissections. It's possible that they taught them, but I kept my eyes closed. Don't remember a thing. I skipped a year. Maybe they taught dissections in the year I skipped.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 05:07 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

What age did you graduate from high school? 16

Jes, You and I both finished high school at 16. Did you fit in in college? I felt like a kid. There were grown up ladies in college. And I was still thinking about my sweet sixteen.
jespah

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 05:18 am
@Roberta,
It was odd; my first day of college was my 17th birthday. Oof.
0 Replies