Hey, Can A Woman "Ask To Get Raped"?

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2013 12:49 pm
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

Quote:
the old axiom that one cant rape a slut.

I'm appalled.
463 pages and almost 10,000 replies and you truly don't get it.

a nice example of what can be done to misrepresent when words are taken out of their context....
glitterbag

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2014 11:07 pm
@hawkeye10,
By your standard, any girl or women dressed in a fashion you think invites violent forced sexual attack, bring it on themselves, you are a sick puppy. It appears you have no daughters, sisters or mother, aunts and female cousins. But I'll bet you do, so do warn them about your bondage fetish, and all of the men who want to exploit 11 year olds. Just make an effort to protect you female relatives. All the other pedophiles and bondage freaks hopefully will refocus. Yes it's a nightmare for children between 10 and 15, but it doesn't seem to bother you so much. I don't pray every day, but I will pray that predators like you and the others can't find 12 year old girls to do what those sick fucks do with adolescents.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 12:02 am
@glitterbag,
Quote:
By your standard, any girl or women dressed in a fashion you think invites violent forced sexual attack, bring it on themselves
By my standard any women who acts like she wants sex should be assumed to want sex unless she makes clear that she does not.

Quote:
can't find 12 year old girls to do what those sick fucks do with adolescents.
this idea that grown men are having sex with 12 year olds against their will is on par with the idea that 6 year olds are being snatched off the streets by strangers....urban myth that refuses to see the light of day, a lie perpetuated by those who profit from it.
firefly

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 12:42 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
this idea that grown men are having sex with 12 year olds against their will is on par with the idea that 6 year olds are being snatched off the streets by strangers....urban myth that refuses to see the light of day, a lie perpetuated by those who profit from it.

So, the abduction, and consequent disappearance, of Etan Patz is an urban myth? A lie?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_Etan_Patz

You're the one trying to peddle the lies.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 12:54 am
An excellent article on the flawed rape investigation at Florida State University--

The New York Times
A Star Player Accused, and a Flawed Rape Investigation
By WALT BOGDANICH
April 16, 2014

Tallahassee, Fla. — Early on the morning of Dec. 7, 2012, a freshman at Florida State University reported that she had been raped by a stranger somewhere off campus after a night of drinking at a popular Tallahassee bar called Potbelly’s.

As she gave her account to the police, several bruises began to appear, indicating recent trauma. Tests would later find semen on her underwear.

For nearly a year, the events of that evening remained a well-kept secret until the woman’s allegations burst into the open, roiling the university and threatening a prized asset: Jameis Winston, one of the marquee names of college football.

Three weeks after Mr. Winston was publicly identified as the suspect, the storm had passed. The local prosecutor announced that he lacked the evidence to charge Mr. Winston with rape. The quarterback would go on to win the Heisman Trophy and lead Florida State to the national championship.

In his announcement, the prosecutor, William N. Meggs, acknowledged a number of shortcomings in the police investigation. In fact, an examination by The New York Times has found that there was virtually no investigation at all, either by the police or the university.

The police did not follow the obvious leads that would have quickly identified the suspect as well as witnesses, one of whom videotaped part of the sexual encounter. After the accuser identified Mr. Winston as her assailant, the police did not even attempt to interview him for nearly two weeks and never obtained his DNA.

The detective handling the case waited two months to write his first report and then prematurely suspended his inquiry without informing the accuser. By the time the prosecutor got the case, important evidence had disappeared, including the video of the sexual act.

“They just missed all the basic fundamental stuff that you are supposed to do,” Mr. Meggs said in a recent interview. Even so, he cautioned, a better investigation might have yielded the same result.

The case has unfolded as colleges and universities across the country are facing rising criticism over how they deal with sexual assault, as well as questions about whether athletes sometimes receive preferential treatment. The Times’s examination — based on police and university records, as well as interviews with people close to the case, including lawyers and sexual assault experts — found that, in the Winston case, Florida State did little to determine what had happened...

read the rest of the Times report here
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/04/16/sports/errors-in-inquiry-on-rape-allegations-against-fsu-jameis-winston.html
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 01:17 am
@firefly,
That is not fair, clearly FSU is one of the most fucked up universities ever seen.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 09:28 am
@hawkeye10,
Are you attempting to say that things like that never happen at other schools with sports and players so valuable, they can get away with anything? Anybody remember Lefty Drisell?
panzade

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 09:38 am
@glitterbag,
remind me...been a long time since I was in College Park
firefly

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 10:33 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
That is not fair, clearly FSU is one of the most fucked up universities ever seen.

What's really "not fair" is the fact that too many athletes and star players, in both high schools and universities, seem to feel entitled to rape, and their schools and communities close ranks and try to shield them from prosecution.

What's "not fair" is the way the accusations of sexual assault are handled, and how the females who make these allegations are treated.

And the case of Florida State University is hardly an isolated instance.

Relatively recently in this thread we've discussed a case involving a high school--Steubenville.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steubenville_High_School_rape_case

And we've also discussed the Vanderbilt University rape case which is still ongoing.
http://www.buzzfeed.com/bobbyallyn/an-ugly-rape-case-involving-vanderbilts-football-team-could

http://www.insidevandy.com/news/collection_9170e3b4-eff0-11e2-87fa-001a4bcf6878.html

Not only are rapes involving high school and college students not being statistically exaggerated, as you contend, it's clear that the way cases are handled would lead to an underreporting of such events because of the ordeal victims are put through, and the unlikelihood they would see justice as an outcome. And this seems particularly true when a school's athletes are involved.

What's "not fair" is the fact that protecting these rapists from prosecution--and protecting a school's "assets" and image--seem to take a higher priority than punishing--and stopping--and preventing--these crimes of rape.

Not that you seem able to understand, or acknowledge, any of this.

If your only comment on the NY Times investigative report was, "That is not fair," simply because it involved FSU, the entire topic of rape is clearly beyond your comprehension.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 10:43 am
@panzade,
Lefty was the basketball coach at UM. A young woman was sexually assualted at an on campus party by one of Lefty's prized players. The athlete charged was potentially prevented from playing in several games. While everything was being sorted out, Lefty found the victims name and phone number and started calling her trying to get her to withdraw her complaint. It was big news in the ACC, and the next time Maryland played at Duke, a huge bunch of Duke students donned bald pates and each one held a phone to his ear. I need to look that up, because I think they also tossed things onto the court. Just don't remember what. Lefty thought he could intimidate the young woman and no one would would find out. That's just how I remember it, I should recheck the story.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 10:47 am
@firefly,
LOL the Duke players so call rape case is a fine example that any time college athletes are charge they are assume to be guilt.

Female groupies that surround these young men are a real danger to them and their future as charges are always a matter of public record even if there is found zero foundations to the charges while the groupie names are protected as the "victims".
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 10:58 am
@BillRM,
being a young male sports star is problematic also because of all the testosterone, all the booze, and often all of the sense of entitlement. Add in women who love to tease, who are stupid, and who know that they can use playing the victim as a preemo power play and it gets to be very difficult to figure out who to blame when the accusations start flying.

My concern is the feminist insistence that the place to start is to assume that the guy is wrong, and then they compound this injustice by insisting that the one claiming victimhood should not even have their story challenged unless there is a "really really" good reason. This is no better than the old days were we all assumed that the woman wanted it unless she had iron clad proof that she did not. The collective has switched sides, but we are no closer to justice, and this is one of the many great failings of feminism.
firefly

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 11:04 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
LOL the Duke players so call rape case is a fine example that any time college athletes are charge they are assume to be guilt.

No, moron, the Duke case was another instance of a botched investigation.

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 11:09 am
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

Quote:

No, moron, the Duke case was another instance of a botched investigation.

the duke case was about criminal behavior by agents of the state, and the state not having in place systems to catch the wrong doing till way late in the process, after citizens had been abused for months. The bias of the community against men, the assumption of their guilt by the public, sure did not help matters.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 11:13 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
being a young male sports star is problematic also because of all the testosterone, all the booze, and often all of the sense of entitlement

Right off the bat(sic) you're giving ball players a pass that they don't deserve.
Quote:
Add in women who love to tease, who are stupid,

Now you're blaming stupid women for their status as <raped>
Nope. Don't work.
firefly

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 11:16 am
@hawkeye10,
Whenever you resort to playing the "feminism" card, it's clear you are way out of your depth on this topic.
Quote:
being a young male sports star is problematic also because of all the testosterone, all the booze, and often all of the sense of entitlement.

Quite true, and you should have stopped there, or tried to address that attitude--"the sense of entitlement"--that leads these men to rape, and how that can be changed.
Quote:
Add in women who love to tease, who are stupid, and who know that they can use playing the victim as a preemo power play and it gets to be very difficult to figure out who to blame when the accusations start flying.

Was that true of the victim in the Steubenville case? Of the alleged victim in the Vanderbilt case? In the FSU case?

Are you really stupid enough to believe that only women who tease get raped? That allegations of rape are nothing more than a "power play"? That women are to blame for their own rapes?

Yes, I guess you are.

I repeat...

What's really "not fair" is the fact that too many athletes and star players, in both high schools and universities, seem to feel entitled to rape, and their schools and communities close ranks and try to shield them from prosecution.

What's "not fair" is the way the accusations of sexual assault are handled, and how the females who make these allegations are treated.

Not only are rapes involving high school and college students not being statistically exaggerated, as you contend, it's clear that the way cases are handled would lead to an underreporting of such events because of the ordeal victims are put through, and the unlikelihood they would see justice as an outcome. And this seems particularly true when a school's athletes are involved.

What's "not fair" is the fact that protecting these rapists from prosecution--and protecting a school's "assets" and image--seem to take a higher priority than punishing--and stopping--and preventing--these crimes of rape.

Not that you seem able to understand, or acknowledge, any of this.

Your half-ass opinions do not qualify as a cogent, and informed, discussion of this topic.

0 Replies

firefly

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 11:30 am
Again, I encourage people to read this investigative report in this week's NY Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/04/16/sports/errors-in-inquiry-on-rape-allegations-against-fsu-jameis-winston.html
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 12:09 pm
@panzade,
Quote:
Now you're blaming stupid women for their status as <raped>
Nope. Don't work.

Female groupies who get blind drunk of their own free will and then have sex with male athletes who are similarly under the influence are not rape victims anymore then the young men are rape victims.

Adults even young female adults are fully responsible for their own behaviors even under the voluntary influence of alcohol and or drug.

If they get into a car and drive off under those conditions they are responsible for doing so and if they spread their legs they are also fully responsible for doing so.

For some strange reason there is a wish not to treat adult women as adults when it come to their own behaviors in matter of sexual conduct.

When and if a male get blind drunk and later find he had have sexual intercourse while in that state and some DA charge his female partner with rape will the reverse seems fair.
firefly

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 12:55 pm
@BillRM,
As usual, this is the way you sound...
http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/head-up-ass.jpg

Too many big words in that NY Times article for you to comprehend? Maybe you can find someone to read it to you.

0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 07:16 pm
Even though I'm not a "major player" here at A2K, I have chosen to take the time to post a few links to hopefully provide some information regarding this particular controversy. Regarding the extremely unpleasant nature of this topic, I was inclined at first to ignore it; but I changed my mind.

the Glen Ridge scandal:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glen_Ridge_rape
(Our Guys by Bernard Lefkowitz is highly regarded. I bought a copy of the book, but I haven't read it. Since I'm quite sensitive about injustice -- especially of the sort in which the powerful victimize the less powerful -- I know if I read this book, I'd be so mad that I'd experience insomnia for an entire month.)

the long record of rape accusations in college football:
http://www.motherjones.com/media/2013/12/college-football-sexual-assualt-jameis-winston

I will also refer to an article that was written about the 1974 Notre Dame football scandal by Robert Sam Anson, who had graduated from Notre Dame himself as a journalism major. His article, which was entitled "That Championship Season," was published in the August 1975 issue of New Times, a magazine that featured investigative reporting but is now, unfortunately, defunct. I may be mistaken on the publication date.

That particular scandal involved six of the Notre Dame football players who were accused by a local high-school graduate of gang-raping her in an athletic dorm on a night in July. Anson said he did not have absolute proof that a gang-rape was perpetrated, but he did claim that the Notre Dame administration staged a cover-up of the scandal. The student newspaper was not allowed to cover it. Theodore Hesburg, the President of the university, is reported to have said, "I talked to the boys. I don't need to talk to the girl." Hardly sounds like an impartial investigation to me.

The accuser was immediately depicted by representatives of the university as being a slut. But upon interviewing the girl, Anson heard a different point of view that was never reported by the news media. She claimed the gang-rape had been prearranged. In other words, it was not a spontaneous event caused by lust.

A friend of hers had been dating one of the players, who got her pregnant. When she asked him for money to pay for an abortion, he refused. So, her friend (the accuser in the July 1974 scandal) confronted him and threatened to expose him to the university administration. He gave in to her blackmail and gave her friend money for an abortion.

Time went by, and the blackmailer started dating one of the other players. One night he invited her into his dorm, and she had consensual sex with him. He excused himself from his room and did not come back. Soon the player whom she had blackmailed came into the room while she was still undressed. He threatened to push her out the window of the dorm room (which was three stories above ground) if she didn't submit to him. He was followed by four other players who had their way with her for about a two-hour period, during which she claimed to have been penetrated a total of nine times.

So, I would hope some people would reject the false notion that rape is caused only by lust. If the girl's accusations were correct, then the primary motivation on the part of the rapists was revenge, not lust. Ask any of the surviving German women of the 2 million German women and girls who were raped by Soviet soldiers (often repeatedly) during WW2 if their rape was motivated by lust.

The accuser's account sounds quite feasible. Why didn't Hesburg require the accuser, her friend, and the six players take lie detector tests?

She chose to not press charges when the local DA said the chances of getting a conviction were slim. (Would most Notre Dame fans or fans of any other college football team been able to be objective about the charges? I seriously doubt it.) Another reason, which possibly was more compelling, was because she was receiving death threats. She had a nervous breakdown and had to be incarcerated in a psychiatric ward for a while. The following question comes to mind: If her accusations were false, why did she have a nervous breakdown?

If I remember the article correctly, the administration had said the six players would be expelled. They reneged. All six of the players were allowed to return to Notre Dame the following year. (One of them chose to transfer to another institution.) Three of the five who returned to Notre Dame went on to play professional football, one of whom was given the Lombardi Award. Incidentally, in the same year this scandal occurred, a nonathletic student was discovered to have engaged in consensual sex with a coed. His penalty? He was expelled. A double standard, perhaps, on the part of a religious institution? This outrageous hypocrisy is absolutely galling to me as a Christian.

To repeat, Anson only suspected that a gang-rape may have taken place; but he claimed that the Notre Dame administration had undeniably staged a cover-up. Is this so hard to believe?

Of course, most football and basketball players don't commit rape; but from what I understand, the relative few who do often get away with it. Until recently, this problem was completely ignored by the sports media.

The claim that virtually all high-school and college athletes are knights in shining armor and that all the accusers are lying sluts is simply too ludicrous for me to accept. (No, I don't believe all such accusations are true; so, please don't go there.) Even some men connected to the world of sports (such as Joe Ehrmann and Dave Zirin) maintain there's a problem with "jock privilege" and rape.

And before anyone throws the "Feminist!" label at me, I happen to be pro-life, a stance that is anathema to most feminists today. I won't engage in name-calling. I'm too tired to do that now.