Hey, Can A Woman "Ask To Get Raped"?

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 09:29 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
Back to the topic.
that is not back to the topic because there is not a single person here who disputes that such scum should be put through the legal system and locked away. This case is also not representative of the rape cases that are currently getting entered into the system.
firefly

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 10:31 pm
@Chumly,
Apparently, the "rape by deception" is consistent with precedents in Israeli law. His most egregious deception, apparently, was claiming to be unmarried.

Quote:

In Israeli Palestinian man to appeal rape-by-deception conviction
By the CNN Wire Staff
July 21, 2010 5:37 p.m.

Jerusalem (CNN) -- The lawyer for a 30-year-old Palestinian married father of two who has admitted in a plea bargain to rape by deception said Wednesday he will appeal his client's sentence, which was handed up Monday.

"Eighteen months in prison is too much," said Adnan Aladdin. He is representing Saber Kashour, the Israeli Palestinian who admitted pretending to be a single Jewish man before having sex with an Israeli woman.

Kashour already has been detained for two months, followed by about two years of house arrest, his lawyer said. "According to the bargain, he should be punished, but we expect him to receive community service on appeal in about 30 days' time," Aladdin added.

Kashour told CNN the relations with the woman, who has not been identified publicly, were consensual.

"The girl is the one who started flirting with me and talking to me, and she is the one who wanted the thing from beginning to end," he said. "I met her on a West Jerusalem street, she approached me and started flirting with me. Within 15 minutes, she wanted to be with me, and we were together."

Aladdin described his client's liaison in more detail: "There was a short foreplay a few minutes before; during the foreplay, the guy tells a few lies, the lady tells a few lies. They both have one goal, and that is to go to bed together. After the sexual intercourse, which was totally consensual, the lady decides to claim that the guy raped her brutally. She comes to court and testifies that this was a case of rape in which there was the use of force.

"At this stage, the defense decides to make an independent investigation. The investigation came up with new facts upon which the D.A. [district attorney] decides to give up the claim the sex was not consensual. So both sides agreed that the sexual intercourse was consensual. However, the D.A. still wanted to charge him with rape by deception.

"So this is the best the defense could do in this case. We are appealing the very long sentence."

Kashour, who acknowledged having told the woman he was single, said he is known as "Dudu," a nickname for the Jewish name "David," but also his own nickname.

"Apparently, later she discovered that I was an Arab and complained to the police," he said.

"I did not say anything or commit anything wrong," he insisted, adding that he did not understand how his misrepresentations could result in a rape charge. "If I told the woman I was a pilot and later she finds out that I was not a pilot, then she goes and says that 'He raped me'? If I told her that I was a millionaire and it turns out that I am a poor man, then she goes and says that 'He raped me'?"

"It is terrible, but the law says very clearly that if someone has sexual intercourse using deception about his identity to conduct the act, it can be considered rape," said Leah Samael, a lawyer specializing in civil rights and human rights cases.

But, if the circumstances had been different -- if a religious Jew had said he was not religious in order to woo a potential suitor -- "he would not be brought to court," she said. "And I am not sure that, on this occasion, it is a reason to charge. To have intercourse in daytime in a deserted building in the center of town -- I say the circumstances speak for themselves."

She added, "The thing that interests me in the case is the need, the necessity, of Arabs in Israel to pretend. To speak without an accent so as not to be seen as Arabs. To dress not to look like Arabs."

She predicted Kashour would prevail. "I don't know if he will be acquitted, but he has served his punishment," she said.

Criminal law rarely applies to minor lies, like dyed hair or a changed name," said Dana Pugach of the Noga Legal Center for Victims of Crime. "But it would apply to the more meaningful lies," she said.

"For example, where a doctor persuades a woman to have sex claiming it would be a part of the medical treatment. As for this particular case, it is not the fact that he was an Arab and claimed to be Jewish. The court emphasized the fact that he claimed to be single while he was married, which would be relevant in the context of a romantic relationship."

Kashour expressed regret, but not for the alleged victim. "I would only be upset and regret this because I have put my wife through pain and upset her, but I did not [do] anything wrong with the girl."

His is the second conviction on the charge of rape by deception. In 2008, the Israeli High Court of Justice convicted Zvi Sliman for impersonating an official in the Housing Ministry and promising women help and benefits to persuade them to have sex with him. Sliman was sentenced to 10 years in prison.
http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/meast/07/21/israel.rape.by.deception/index.html?hpt=T2

I'm not sure why this man took a plea agreement. He might have been better off going to trial. He should appeal this. They probably should not have charged him in the first place, considering the situation. These people seem to have had consensual sex witin 10 or 15 minutes of meeting each other on the street. So it's not as through they were even involved in a relationship where his lies could have done her more emotional harm, and she obviously found him attractive and desirable.

Quote:

Feb 28, 2008
Rape 'by Deception' May Become A Crime In Massachusetts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Massachusetts legislators considered a bill Wednesday that would close a loophole in rape laws to allow prosecutors to bring charges against people who gain a victim's consent to sex through deception.

Under current law, rape in Massachusetts can only be prosecuted if the act involves force and non-consent. The law does not protect victims who have been intentionally duped into having sex without force or violence.

"There is a myth that rape only happens in a dark alley by a stranger -- this is not true," said Rep. Peter Koutoujian.

Without the new legislation, police and prosecutors are virtually helpless when someone reports a rape that occurred because the victim was deceived or tricked into consenting. Legislators cited a case in western Massachusetts in which a woman consented to intercourse with her boyfriend's brother because he claimed to be the woman's boyfriend.

In another case of "fraud" rape, a lab technician posed as a medical doctor and sexually assaulted a woman. Legislators said they hope changing the law will prevent future rapes and bring those guilty of any form of rape to justice.

"The intent of the crime is the same, and so the punishment should be the same," Koutoujian said. "We not only have the judicial mandate to file this legislation, we have a moral obligation."

Rape by deception is just as damaging and illegal as rape by force, said Middlesex County District Attorney Gerry Leone.

"We have always known that 'No means no,' and the current law allows us to effectively prosecute those cases," Leone said. "What this bill makes clear is that you cannot deceive or defraud a victim into saying yes."

California and Tennessee already have "rape by fraud" legislation. If the law passes here, a common concern is that the legislation's vague language regarding deception will result in women who have been seduced by men posing as someone else or claiming to be unmarried filing rape charges.

Both Leone and Worcester County District Attorney Joe Early said the new legislation is not open to this misinterpretation. They said though the legislation pertains to a small percentage of cases, any accusation of rape is seriously investigated and considered by prosecutors before charges are filed.

The district attorneys said the law leaves room for future changes based on what society considers to be rape.

Mary Lauby, executive director of Jane Doe Inc. -- an organization which oversees the state coalition of rape crisis centers and domestic violence programs -- said rapists who deceive their victims operate by deliberately creating an environment of trust.

She said a person's intentions determine whether criminal charges apply to a case because the proposed law aims to stop sociopaths who repeatedly rape by deception - not people who are simply boasting to seduce someone.

"Our laws cannot start from a place only considering defendant rights," Lauby said. "It is only the victim who can say if rape is committed."
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/02/29/politics/uwire/main3894875.shtml

Does anyone know what happened with that bill in Massachusetts? I can't find any other info on it.

It's certainly a controversial topic worthy of discussion.

Quote:
a Northwestern law professor, building on the undeniable fact that many persons behave badly on the dating market, proposed as a remedy the development of a new tort of “sexual fraud,” which would allow lawsuits for cash damages against persons who use lies or insincerity to get others to sleep with them (“Of course I’m not married.”) It was one of the year’s most widely hailed and talked-about articles.
http://overlawyered.com/2010/07/rape-by-deception-in-israel/

I think I'm more inclined to see this as sexual fraud, rather than rape, if it occurs in a dating or social situation. And monetary damages to the victim might be more appropriate than a criminal conviction for the man.

But I can see it as rape if someone pretends to be a doctor, for instance, and commits a sexual assault on a woman who consented to the contact only because of the deception and the power of the lie. It would have to be very narrowly interpreted.
It depends on the context in which the sexual behavior occurred. A lie might be as powerful as a drug in being able to fraudulently obtain consent from a woman.

But, I can see where "rape by deception" laws might get an awful lot of guys in trouble. Smile
Quote:

How Often Is Sex Not ‘Rape by Deception’?
7/21/10 at 6:33 PM

A Palestinian man was sentenced to eighteen months in prison in Israel this week for leading a Jewish woman to believe he was Jewish in order to sleep with her. His crime? "Rape by deception." As a judge explained, "If she hadn't thought the accused was a Jewish bachelor interested in a serious romantic relationship, she never would have cooperated." So watch out, guys who try to get laid by pretending to be wealthier, smarter, kinder, healthier, younger, older, more popular, more romantic, more important, less stingy, less bald, or less married than you actually are — i.e., everyone.
http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2010/07/how_often_is_sex_not_rape_by_d.html

firefly

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 11:04 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
This case is also not representative of the rape cases that are currently getting entered into the system

It is certainly current, the man was just arrested yesterday. And I do think it is representative of the forcible rapes by strangers that go on all the time. About all that makes this one different is that they caught the guy. These girls and women clearly did absolutely nothing to put themselves in a situation of danger or get themselves raped.

Rape is rape. He forced these women and children to submit. But male relatives, acquaintances, family friends, dates, may all force females to do similar things, through physical force, or threats, or intimidation, or other coercions, even though they don't use knives or guns. The essential feature is viewing women as prey, and the rapist, probably all rapists, does not regard these women or children as being able to legitimately withhold consent or to resist, they exist only for his use, to satisfy his needs for power. It's the mindset.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 11:14 pm
I haven't read the last bunch of posts, maybe five.

Rape is force against will.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 11:35 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
As a judge explained, "If she hadn't thought the accused was a Jewish bachelor interested in a serious romantic relationship, she never would have cooperated."

Am I mistaken, or did they have sex in an empty building, midday, in some city, shortly, like some minutes, an hour after they met?

That's the start of a "serious romantic relationship"?

Ma: You couldn't wait a few days, a week, already?

Daughter: But Ma, there are so few nice men around. I thought he was one.
firefly

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 11:42 pm
@JTT,
Quote:

Am I mistaken, or did they have sex in an empty building, midday, in some city?

That's the start of a "serious romantic relationship"?

Romance, in Israel, must truly be dead. Laughing
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 01:12 am
the following is related to this thread because it supports my basic argument that sex law is in need of reform. The particular question addressed has been discussed by us in other threads. Note:sexually violent predators= (SVPs)
Quote:
Rape, Psychiatry, and Constitutional Rights—Hard Cases Make For Very Bad Law
By Allen Frances, MD | June 21, 2010

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The most disturbing turbulence at the boundary between psychiatry and the law is the misuse of a makeshift psychiatric diagnosis (“Paraphilia Not Otherwise Specified, nonconsent”) to justify the involuntary, indefinite psychiatric commitment of rapists. This is a disguised form of preventive detention (often for life), a violation of due process, and an abuse of psychiatry. The mental health professions have been placed in the position of providing a dangerous fig leaf to cover an unfortunate correctional gap created by fixed sentencing
Lower courts have faced a peculiar difficulty in interpreting expert testimony in SVP cases. The wording used by the appeals court in the McGee case clearly illustrates the problem. I would argue (with some authority since I was responsible for writing the final version of Paraphilia section in DSM-IV) that the diagnosis “Paraphilia NOS, nonconsent” is indeed ‘patently lacking in credibility or validity’ and is ‘empty of scientific pedigree.’ But I cannot argue that it is ‘near universal in its rejection by the mental health profession’ because a sizable segment of the community of SVP evaluated have been mistrained into believing that “Paraphilia NOS, nonconsent” is a valid DSM-IV diagnosis.

This paradoxical gulf between the original intention of DSM-IV and SVP forensic evaluator misinterpretation of it leads to great confusion in the handling of expert mental health testimony in individual cases. The diagnosis “Paraphilia NOS, nonconsent” is clearly misguided—almost always incorrect and inappropriate in forensic proceedings, but it has been accepted by enough mistrained “experts” to have acquired a patina of undeserved respectability that may (in a perverse self fulfilling prophecy way) lead to its acceptance
http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/blog/couchincrisis/content/article/10168/1595945

Dr Frances was chair of the DSM-IV Task Force and of the department of psychiatry at Duke University School of Medicine, Durham, NC. He is currently professor emeritus at Duke.

We are beginning to see the tide turn, as professionals take note of the abomination that sex law has become more are speaking out for reform. We will soon be past the days where our position can be blown off as a bunch of rapists or would be rapists trying to have an easier go at victims.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 01:16 am
@hawkeye10,
Why on earth do you not start your own thread?
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 01:26 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Because it is supporting evidence for my side of this debate, in a thread that is over 300 posts long and has been wide ranging. Furthermore a2k does not support starting a new thread, because had I done so the thread would have been voted down simply because I started it, would not be responded to largely because of bias against me, and would have for all intents and purposes disappeared from a2k almost instantly.

Obviously my interest is in supporting my position, it is unreasonable of you to expect me to use a2k in ways that are detrimental to my best interests.
Intrepid

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 03:38 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:
Where do you see that I don't take a stand for anything?

I can point you to one specific situation, Intrepid.

That is a whole different topic that you refer to and I do take a stand. Just not one that agrees with you.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 03:47 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
Because it is supporting evidence for my side of this debate, in a thread that is over 300 posts long and has been wide ranging. Furthermore a2k does not support starting a new thread, because had I done so the thread would have been voted down simply because I started it, would not be responded to largely because of bias against me, and would have for all intents and purposes disappeared from a2k almost instantly.

Obviously my interest is in supporting my position, it is unreasonable of you to expect me to use a2k in ways that are detrimental to my best interests.

So, you know that your posts would be deemed unpopular. You know that your position is opposed to all normal frames of thought. You know that your thread would disappear almost instantly. A2K would be detrimental to your best interests. What is more important here? Information and discussion or your best interests? What about victims best interests?
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 05:04 am
@hawkeye10,
Hawkeye, I think you have completely misinterpreted the article by Dr. Frances. If you think his point is about "sex laws", or reform of "sex laws",you have completely misinterpreted his article.

The issue that Dr. Frances addresses has nothing to do with "sex laws". He is discussing a possible misuse of the civil commitment laws, for detention of the mentally ill. That is very clear in this paragraph which you did not post.

Quote:
First, a brief, sad history and then a promising, new wrinkle. Twenty states and the federal government have passed statutes for the continued incarceration in psychiatric settings of sexually violent predators (SVPs) who are deemed to be a continuing danger. The commitment is meant to protect public safety by keeping the offender in a secure psychiatric facility after his prison sentence has already been completed. SVP statutes were a fix to a problem created when fixed sentencing replaced judiciary discretion and resulted in prison terms that were far too short for the worst offenders. Extremely dangerous rapists who would have gotten long prison terms under indeterminate sentencing were given much shorter fixed sentences. The outrage occasioned by their consequent unsurprising recidivism led to the SVP statutes. Short fixed sentencing is now generally disappearing prospectively, but the SVP statutes are applied to offenders who would have to be released because they were sentenced under the old system.
http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/blog/couchincrisis/content/article/10168/1595945

So, the real crux of the problem is that sexually violent predators (SVPs), particularly in the past, were given fixed prison sentences which were far too short for the worst offenders. This was because the fixed sentences in effect at the time gave judges no leeway to impose much longer, more appropriate sentences. When released, after the shorter sentences, these SVPs tended to again repeat their crimes, causing them to be re-incarcerated. To remedy this loophole in the incarceration process, caused by the too short fixed sentences, and to insure public safety, SVP statutes were passed in 20 states, and by the federal government, which allowed SVPs to be retained in psychiatric facilities, under indefinite civil commitments, once their prison sentences were completed. So, with these SVP statutes in place, even though these violent sexual predators had completed their prison sentences, as required under the criminal laws, they were not being released into the community. Instead, they were being transferred from prison to psychiatric facilities for an indefinite additional period of civil commitment, based on the assumption of their continued dangerousness to the community.

Psychiatric confinement was being used as a means to extend confinement for a specific group of people, SVPs, who had completed prison sentences. This, of course, raised other legal issues related to the civil commitment procedures for mental patients, as well as the constitutional rights of criminals who have completed their sentences.

Quote:
The Supreme Court has 3 times accepted the constitutionality of SVP statutes—but narrowly and with the essential requirement that a mental disorder be the cause of the dangerousness. Absent a mental disorder, the psychiatric “commitment” of however dangerous an offender would clearly be an unconstitutional violation of due process and a double jeopardy abandonment of guaranteed civil liberties. The constitution requires the prison system to release criminals once their time is served, even if they are still clearly dangerous.

The rub is that the Supreme Court has chosen to dance around the legal definition of a qualifying mental disorder. It has left this critical question up to the inconsistent and largely uninformed discretion of each lower court. This has led to huge confusion and very questionable practice. Many evaluators in SVP hearings have been led astray by a complete misunderstanding of the intent of the DSM-IV. They have applied the essentially made-up diagnosis, “Paraphilia NOS, nonconsent,” to justify the psychiatric commitment of rapists who without this “diagnosis” would be regarded as no more than common, if particularly heinous, criminals.

So, according to the Supreme Court, involuntary confinement in a psychiatric facility, immediately upon completion of a prison sentence, is justifiable only when the person suffers from a dangerous mental illness. If they don't suffer from such a mental illness, their constitutional rights require that the person be released from prison, upon completion of their sentence, no matter how potentially dangerous they might be. But, the Supreme Court declined to define what is meant by a "qualifying mental disorder" and, instead, left it to the determination of the lower courts, and this has created confusion and, according to Dr. Frances, "very questionable practice".

Just what dangerous mental illness do sexually violent predators suffer from that justifies their indefinite commitment in a psychiatric hospital after they have completed their prison sentences ? Well, that's the problem. They might not neatly fit into any specific valid diagnosis in the DSM-IV (the manual for classifying mental disorders in the U.S.) that also qualifies as a dangerous mental disorder . To cover this gap, the DSM-IV included a diagnosis of “Paraphilia NOS, nonconsent”, essentially a garbage, or makeshift, diagnosis, without scientific validity, created essentially to justify the involuntary, indefinite psychiatric commitment of violent predatory rapists. And currently, that madeup diagnosis has been used, and, according to Dr Frances, misused, to justify such civil commitments to psychiatric hospitals. Without this diagnosis, these people might simply be heinous criminals, and entitled to their release after completing their prison sentences, based on their constitutional rights.

As a remedy to the psychiatric diagnostic problem, and the constitutional rights problem, Dr Frances suggests that the Supreme Court review the case of McGee and use that case as an opportunity to clarify and define what is meant by a "dangerous mental disorder" in the SVP statutes. According to Dr Frances, "The Supreme Court must step up to the plate and provide clarity about what qualifies legally as a mental disorder in SVP commitments".
Quote:

No one wants dangerous sexual predators released prematurely to the street just because they have received too short a prison sentence. But, the “Paraphilia NOS, nonconsent” fix for this legal and correctional problem is a transparent abuse of psychiatric diagnosis that greases a perilously slippery slope loss of constitutional freedoms. Experiences in other countries (and some would argue in our own as well) have shown how, under the wrong circumstances, the mental health professions can easily become a tool of state oppression.

In other words, Dr Frances does not want mental heath experts, psychiatrists and psychologists, to function as tools of the legal system, and confine violent sexual predators in psychiatric facilities, on the basis of questionably valid diagnoses, simply as a way of extending their period of incarceration/confinement once their prison sentences have been completed. And he does raise excellent points regarding the ethics of mental health professionals, and the constitutional issues involved with SVP statutes. I wholeheartedly agree with him that this issue should be addressed by the Supreme Court.

But, Hawkeye, nothing that Dr Frances addresses has anything to do with "sex laws", nor is he characterizing what is currently going on as an "abomination". He's not even calling for any kind of "reform", as you suggested. He's making very specific points about the collaboration between psychiatry and the law, particularly in the case of SVP statutes. He wants to ensure that the constitutional rights of SVPs are protected, and that, if these sexually violent predators are to be confined in psychiatric facilities, following completion of their prison sentences, that it be done on the basis of generally accepted, valid psychiatric diagnoses.

I honestly cannot see where Dr Frances' article supports your "basic argument that sex law is in need of reform". Not at all. I think you have completely misinterpreted the article. His point is that we currently have "bad law" because the law contained in SVP statutes is not clear enough and needs further definition, preferably from the Supreme Court. Nowhere does he say the SVP statutes are wrong, or should be abolished, and he is empathetic concerning the reasons for their creation. His gripe is with the use of the “Paraphilia Not Otherwise Specified, nonconsent” diagnosis to justify a disguised form of preventive detention in a psychiatric facility (often for life).

No one really wants to see sexually violent criminals, who are particularly likely to repeat their crimes again, released to the streets, but these people have constitutional rights which also must be respected and upheld. And I think most people agree with that. Psychiatric facilities cannot be used to artificially extend prison terms, unless the offender genuinely suffers from a valid dangerous mental disorder which justifies such confinement. That's mainly what Dr Frances is saying, and I agree with him.

In part, some of the problem has already been resolved. Judges are no longer as bound by fixed sentences, so they can use their discretion to impose much longer sentences to keep these sexually violent predators in prison for much greater periods of time, thereby reducing some of the need for the SVP statutes and the psychiatric commitments. So, the issues he raises pertain only to those who were given shorter sentences in the past and are now maxing out their prison terms.

In addition, the entire notion of preventive detention in psychiatric hospitals, because of alleged potential dangerousness to the community, is widely done and universally accepted in psychiatry and law, having absolutely nothing to do with sex offenders. It is a routine aspect of all involuntary psychiatric admissions, which go on all the time. It is also routine following all verdicts of Not Guilty by Reason of Insanity or Diminished Capacity (and these people can also be retained for life if they are deemed to be suffering from a dangerous mental disorder). So, sex offenders aren't exactly being singled out for such treatment.

I think you are so desperate to grasp at straws to bolster your theories about our "abominable" system of "sex laws" that you latched onto this article which really is unrelated to the issues which seem to preoccupy you. In addition, this article is unrelated to the topic of this thread, which is whether women ever "ask to be raped". It is another one of your digressions simply to espouse your own views about sex laws. If you want to go off on your own tangents, then post your own thread. The reasons you haven given for not doing that are rather insubstantial and flimsy. Post your topics and see what happens. But meanwhile, please try to stick with the thread topic most of us have been trying to discuss. This isn't about winning arguments, or scoring points, it's about having a discussion.

Intrepid

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 05:33 am
@firefly,
Hawkeye is not above (below?) any attempt to bolster his weak arguments. Omissions of pertinent facts is but one of his methods of deception.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 06:57 am
@hawkeye10,
You walk an interesting line, where you claim that people cry "victim!" too much while simultaneously crying "men are victims of prosecutorial overreach!"

I have a tiny, invisible violin playing for you.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 08:24 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
I think false accusation is a feather in a pile of coal,

It is a feather until it does happen to someone you care about.

Second whether such claims are common or uncommon does not address the stand others here had taken that when it occur it is a minor matter that does not call for very serous punishment.

A minor charge of filing a false police report would cover it!
BillRM

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 08:29 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
What are you on about?
This whole thing about the women who work up a rape story is tangential to the thread question.
Take your false rape accusation multiple posts to a thread you start yourself

Yes thank for sharing your opinion of what should and should not be allow on this thread and I will be sure to give it the weight that it is worth.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 08:53 am
@firefly,
Quote:
people who view women as prey, who have no respect for the woman in these encounters, and who have no regard for the need to have a willing, freely consenting partner,

If a male and it always the evil males placed pressure of a non-physical kind on a woman to have sex with him IE no force or threat of physical force then could that be raped or not?

Male “preying” on women is not raped if no force or threat of force is used or unwilling drugging had occurred in my opinion.

Under some conditions, it could indeed be breaking others laws such as sexual harassment in the work place but that still in not rape.

If a boss stated that, a woman will be fired if she does not sleep with him that surely is a case of breaking Federal and state workplaces laws and but not the rape laws. Such is “preying” but not raped.

If a man stated to his girlfriend that if she does not end her boycott of no sex with him at once he will kick her out of his home that is surely ungentlemanly of him but that is not rape either.

If a man cheerfully provided the funds to allow his date to willingly get a little loss and then had sex with her without any force when she still can walk and talk that is not rape. I might agree with you under some conditions it would be unmoral “preying” on a lady but it is not rape.

To sum up the act of “preying” is not the same as rape and to try to define it so just reduce the outrage people feel toward real rape and help reduce women to children that need the protection and control we give children.

DrewDad

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 09:07 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
If a man cheerfully provided the funds to allow his date to willingly get a little loss and then had sex with her without any force when she still can walk and talk that is not rape. I might agree with you under some conditions it would be unmoral “preying” on a lady but it is not rape.

The problem here is that in order to have consensual sex then both parties must be able to consent.
BillRM

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 09:25 am
@DrewDad,
You have every right to assume that an adult even a drinking adult can still grant consent.

Under your theory, you would need to take your date to a police station to have a breath test done or risk a rape charge.

By the way what blood alcohol level would not allow a woman to give consent the same as for driving or some other standard?
CalamityJane

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 09:30 am
@BillRM,
Quote:

What do you understand under "willingly get a little loss"?

Aside from that, if you pay her dinner that doesn't mean you're entitled to sex,
on the contrary - you invited her, it's your call and her time she spends with you.
Any time spent with you should be paid royally regardless.