Hey, Can A Woman "Ask To Get Raped"?

ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 03:08 pm
I do know someone falsely accused of molestation, another subject of a sort re rape. The accuser 'confessed' to me years later, too late to save the person from much aggravation. Long story and not mine to tell. I bring this up to show that I am not chilly about the possibility of false accusation.

I think false accusation is a feather in a pile of coal, though, re the numbers re rape that make it to court and the actualities of real rapes that happen to women and men who don't report it.
CalamityJane

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 03:23 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
and this being a free country you strenuously object when people come to a different conclusion than you do, to the point that you reflexively call anyone who dares to opine that we have already gone to far to "protect" women by criminalizing sex rapists or wanna be rapists. What a nice example of your open mind, and of your willingness to let other people make up their own mind without you trying bully them into agreeing with you.

This has nothing to do with my opinion or me having come to a different conclusion -
rape is clearly defined by the court system and rightfully so. I don't need to
bully anyone into agreeing with me - the law does it all on its own, in addition
to the majority of sensitive people who get the definition of it.

0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 03:28 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
What you call protections I call shackles. Over protection is a harm, not just with children but with anyone or anything, and when we find that we are doing that we should stop.

You are overlooking the fact that 16 and 17 year olds, not to mention younger adolescents, are emotionally immature, and influenced by many things other than sexual desire when they become involved in sexual activity.

Quote:
However, in a Kaiser Family Foundation study of US teenagers, 29% of teens reported feeling pressure to have sex, 33% of sexually active teens reported "being in a relationship where they felt things were moving too fast sexually", and 24% had "done something sexual they didn’t really want to do". Several polls have indicated peer pressure as a factor in encouraging both girls and boys to have sex. Inhibition-reducing drugs and alcohol may possibly encourage unintended sexual activity. If so, it is unknown if the drugs themselves directly influence teenagers to engage in riskier behavior, or whether teenagers who engage in drug use are more likely to engage in sex.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teenage_pregnancy#Adolescent_sexual_behavior

And, let's not forget some of the potential lasting consequences.

Quote:
More than 80% of teen pregnancies are unintended
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teenage_pregnancy#Adolescent_sexual_behavior

Quote:
According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), about 25% of sexually active teenagers get a sexually transmitted disease (STD) every year, and 80% of infected teens don’t even know they have an STD, passing the diseases along to unsuspecting partners. When it comes to AIDS, the data is even more chilling -- of the new HIV infections each year, about 50% occur in people under the age of 25.
http://www.focusas.com/SexualBehavior.html

Protecting children is not harmful. Encouraging teens to delay sexual activity is not harmful. Encouraging minor children to become involved in sexual situations they really aren't emotionally ready to handle can be quite harmful.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 03:31 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye, as I understand, you have been a victim of sexual molestation yourself
and I feel that you - being a victim of sexual violence - might have this survival
mechanism within you, where you tell yourself that sexual crimes are not actual
crimes. Perhaps this helps your healing process in thinking the way you think.

The most promiscuous women were more often than not sexually abused as
children. They have learned to mentally protect themselves in believing that
promiscuity is a good thing.

I find a similar process in your way of thinking - you feel that sexual misconducts
are perfectly acceptable, as long as you can justify it in your mind.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 04:35 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
There is a flip side to removing some of the legal protections for 16 and 17 year old girls.
What you call protections I call shackles. Over protection is a harm, not just with children but with anyone or anything, and when we find that we are doing that we should stop.

Why shackles? What evidence is there to support that "over protection" is harmful? Indeed, where is there evidence to support that over protection exists?
Intrepid

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 04:35 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
It is true. It is quite a common symptom of mental illness-believing you are the one with no problem
it is also true that is is very common for people to think that they know things that they dont, and for people who think that they are doing good to in fact be causing harm. I am guessing that you don't want to go there however.

If you want to discuss yourself. Go ahead.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 04:43 pm
@Intrepid,
Quote:
There is harm in talking about things (because that is all I am doing)? REALLY?

As for me know knowing what I am talking about, if that were true there would be a huge factual argument against my opinion. Instead all I get from my opposition is emotion and heads in the sand.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 04:48 pm
@Intrepid,
Quote:
What evidence is there to support that "over protection" is harmful
If you have not learned enough in your time on earth to know that over protection of individuals is harmful to the creation and maintenance of whole and strong individuals then I have no idea of where I could start to educate you.
Intrepid

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 04:50 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
There is harm in talking about things (because that is all I am doing)? REALLY?

As for me know knowing what I am talking about, if that were true there would be a huge factual argument against my opinion. Instead all I get from my opposition is emotion and heads in the sand.

Do you use your brain? Do you comprehend what you read, let alone what you write.

You responded to AM with the following:
Quote:
it is also true that is is very common for people to think that they know things that they dont, and for people who think that they are doing good to in fact be causing harm. I am guessing that you don't want to go there however.

Bolded for emphasis

You seem to be saying that she would not want to go there in discussion. I was pointing out that you could discuss this with yourself since you cannot see that you are who you are talking about.

Have you ever read in Pogo?.... We have seen the enemy and they are us
Intrepid

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 04:52 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
What evidence is there to support that "over protection" is harmful
If you have not learned enough in your time on earth to know that over protection of individuals is harmful to the creation and maintenance of whole and strong individuals then I have no idea of where I could start to educate you.

That is the whole problem, Hawkeye. It is not up to you to educate anybody. You are not qualified. You ignore every bit of factual information that anybody provides to you.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 04:54 pm
@Intrepid,
Quote:
You seem to be saying that she would not want to go there in discussion. I was pointing out that you could discuss this with yourself since you cannot see that you are who you are talking about.
Yes, and now that I have pointed out to you why you are wrong we can move on...
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 05:02 pm
@Intrepid,
I would think he is rightly talking about your and people like you.

Rape is after all is a simple and straightforward concept that had been well understood for a very long time.

The forcing, by force or the threat of force undesired sexual intercourse on another adult and since date rape drugs had come on the scene the unwilling drugging of a sexual partner in order to restrict him or her ability to decline sexual acts.

Not the crazy expanded meanings that allow someone to look back hours, days or even months and decided that perhaps what happen last month had been raped as I had been drinking and I now regret the sexual intercourse or he did imply that I would not get that job if I did not have sex with him or even those he did not do anything I was still a little fearful of him……………………..

Not that adult women are children and therefore we need to protected them from their own bad judgments in life when it come to sex.

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 05:19 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
if I did not have sex with him or even those he did not do anything I was still a little fearful of him
I take it that you did not notice that the requirement for actual fear has already gone by the boards. Now if one person tries to have sex with another person, and the one wanted sex could POTENTIALLY have something to use against the subject if her/she said no, then a rape has taken place. The courts are not there yet, but the saviors are already defining rape as such. The only people you are allowed to seek as sex partners are your peers, and the population that is considered your peers is a constantly shrinking group.

Basically what is wanted is to get people to stop trying to get other people to have sex with them, the whole concept is abuse according to these nuts.
Intrepid

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 05:49 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

I would think he is rightly talking about your and people like you.

Rape is after all is a simple and straightforward concept that had been well understood for a very long time.

The forcing, by force or the threat of force undesired sexual intercourse on another adult and since date rape drugs had come on the scene the unwilling drugging of a sexual partner in order to restrict him or her ability to decline sexual acts.

Not the crazy expanded meanings that allow someone to look back hours, days or even months and decided that perhaps what happen last month had been raped as I had been drinking and I now regret the sexual intercourse or he did imply that I would not get that job if I did not have sex with him or even those he did not do anything I was still a little fearful of him……………………..

Not that adult women are children and therefore we need to protected them from their own bad judgments in life when it come to sex.

What the hell are you talking about?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 05:58 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

What are you on about?
This whole thing about the women who work up a rape story is tangential to the thread question.
Take your false rape accusation multiple posts to a thread you start yourself.
CalamityJane

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 06:08 pm
.....and here you thought it can't get worse.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 06:43 pm
@CalamityJane,
Well, there is a lot of skidding off of the original question, which is to many of us, an impossible, since we get it that rape is by definition 'without consent'.
firefly

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 06:46 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:

No, I don't think so, judging by some of your comments. I'm not sure you understand rape at all, or how it affects its victims.

Quote:
Not that adult women are children and therefore we need to protected them from their own bad judgments in life when it come to sex

Women are not raped because of "their own bad judgments", they are raped by people who view women as prey, who have no respect for the woman in these encounters, and who have no regard for the need to have a willing, freely consenting partner, because their main motivation is to exert power over the woman. Women are raped by rapists, and not because of anything they have done. No woman asks to get raped, no woman deserves to get raped.

There are no "crazy expanded meanings" of rape. Rape is rape. You just don't fully understand rape or the social and legal climate that is conducive to facilitating the crime of rape because it is so easy for rapists to escape punishment, and leaves far too many female victims blaming themselves, feeling humilated and ashamed, and too reluctant to even report their rapes.

firefly

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 06:58 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
The only people you are allowed to seek as sex partners are your peers, and the population that is considered your peers is a constantly shrinking group.

Right, adults are expected to have sex only with other consenting adults (or with those who have at least attained the age of consent and are no more than a few years younger than the adult).

Those who are mentally impaired, or cannot give consent, those who indicate the sex is unwanted, children, teens, dogs, and sheep, are pretty much off limits, Hawkeye. Too bad if that cramps your style or limits your choice of sex partners.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 06:59 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
rape is by definition 'without consent'
wrong, rape is sex that happens either without consent or when the state invalidates the consent after the fact.