Hey, Can A Woman "Ask To Get Raped"?

BillRM

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 03:46 pm
In any case to sum up I am all for punishing real rape not the greatly expanded PC corrected meanings that would in fact resulted in that most men and a not small percents of women having committed rapes in their lifetimes.

I am all for punishing women who try to used the tools of the justice system to placed innocent men into prison for life with a similar fate not a minor misdeemed.

I am all for either releasing the names of claimed rape victims or shielding the good names of the men accuse in the same manner until convicted.

And to sum up I am for treating women as adults with adult responsibilities such as to used alcohol either wisely or not at all and not to expect the men in their lives or the society as a whole to shield them from their own bad judgments.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 04:02 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
In any case to sum up I am all for punishing real rape
You can say that till you're blue in the face but it will never register, according to this crowd if you are in favor of moving at all to revert to the old definition of rape you are a rape apologist, you support rape. This is the nutty Alice in Wonderland world in which we live. When such obvious rhetorical tricks are used successfully to prevent an honest evaluation of reality we are in deep trouble as a society.

He who does not know where he is is lost. He who would rather live in his delusions of where he is than find out will not long be with us, he will soon be the victim of someone who has not made that mistake, from someone who does not suffer from this mental illness.
firefly

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 09:45 pm
@JTT,
Juries are not imposing sentences, but they are recommending them. In this case, the jury has recommended that the judge impose a harsher sentence than the state's sentencing guidelines.
http://www.hutchnews.com/Localregional/kansas-rape--1
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 09:04 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
He who would rather live in his delusions of where he is than find out will not long be with us, he will soon be the victim of someone who has not made that mistake, from someone who does not suffer from this mental illness.

Isn't it peculiar that the ones who sit in a mental hospital always think that everyone outside their four tiny walls suffers from mental illness.
Let's face it, hawkeye - your way of thinking is only shared by the ones who
rape themselves and are convinced it must have been a pleasurable experience
to all.
ABE5177

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 10:29 am
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

Isn't it peculiar that the ones who sit in a mental hospital always think that everyone outside their four tiny walls suffers from mental illness.

So how do YOU know this exactly? i nevrer hearsd of ti and i don;y BELIEVE IT
ABE5177

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 10:32 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

I am all for punishing women who try to used the tools of the justice system to placed innocent men into prison

DITTO
anybody metntioned the lacrosse team liar not gettoing prosecuted?

firefly

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 12:05 pm
@ABE5177,
The false accuser in the Duke case was not charged, possibly because there are indications that the police mishandled many aspects of this case, including their disregarding inconsistensies in her story. Misconduct on the part of the police and D.A. would realistically overshadow the woman's false claims. A main offender in the case was the D.A. who withheld DNA evidence which could have exonerated the young men. He was rightfully punished--he was disbarred. The young men from Duke, who were caught up in this miscarriage of justice, have launched federal lawsuits.

Quote:
Named in the suit were Nifong (the D.A.), the lab that handled the DNA work, the city of Durham, the city's former police chief, the deputy police chief, the two police detectives who handled the case and five other police department employees. The players are seeking unspecified damages, and also want to place the Durham Police Department under court supervision for 10 years, claiming the actions of the police department pose "a substantial risk of irreparable injury to other persons in the City of Durham".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_lacrosse_case#cite_note-10

That they apprently have not instituted any civil suits against their accuser suggests they feel the real damage to them was done by law enforcement and the D.A..

Why is it being assumed that women aren't being punished for making false rape allegations? Whether they are charged, is up to local law enforcement, and punishment is decided by local courts, as should be the case.

But, women are being punished for making false rape allegations.

These are only 3 of the most very recent cases in the U.S....

Quote:

Lower Nazareth Township woman who made false rape charge sentenced

Published: Thursday, July 01, 2010, 1:49 PM Updated: Thursday, July 01, 2010, 2:05 PM

The 23-year-old Lower Nazareth Township woman who lied about being raped on East Stroudsburg University's campus was sentenced today to probation, according to a Pocono Record report.

Laura Gruver was sentenced to one year of probation and ordered to continue with mental health counseling and to perform 50 hours of community service, the report says.

Gruver, who has since written letters of apology to the university and police, is not longer a student at East Stroudsburg.

Gruver told authorities on Aug. 20 she had been raped at knifepoint Aug. 13 on a secluded section of the university's campus. She later recanted the allegation, admitting she'd made up the story to distract from her personal problems.

Gruver's fake rape story made headlines shortly before a similar accusation hit the news in the Lehigh Valley. A then 19-year-old Lehigh University student told authorities in September 2009 she'd been assaulted by a school police officer.

Brielynne R. Neumann, of Shrewsbury, Mass., later recanted the allegation.
http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/nazareth/index.ssf/2010/07/l_nazareth_twp_woman_who_made.html

Quote:

Woman Charged with Making False Rape Report
By News 13
Jul 21, 2010 at 7:04 AM EDT

On Tuesday, Portland police charged 22-year-old Maryanne Morin of Portland with filing a false report for lying about being attacked and raped in Portland on Monday night.

Earlier in the day, police held a news conference about the rape Morin reported on Monday, in which she allegedly told them she was jogging on Back Cove around 9:30 p.m. when a group of black men started making verbal advances toward her, then attacked her, held her down, and sexually assaulted her.

Police say that after a second interview with Morin, they learned she made the whole incident up, though it is still unclear why.

The Portland Police Department says it's frustrated and that it exhausted a lot of resources all day Tuesday following up on the report.
http://www.myfoxmaine.com/news/Woman-Charged-with-Making-False-Rape-Report-98909514.html

Quote:

Sevier woman arrested after false rape report

By News Sentinel staff
Knoxville News Sentinel
Posted July 14, 2010 at 11:19 a.m.

SEVIERVILLE - Sevier County authorities charged a woman with making a false report that she had been assaulted and raped in her home by an acquaintance.

Susan Wagers was being held this morning in the Sevier County Jail in lieu of a $25,000 bond, according to the Sevier County Sheriff's Office.

Wagers called 911 on July 8 and claimed she had been raped at her home on Willow Creek Lane near Sevierville. Authorities launched an investigation and searched for the alleged suspect in several areas in Sevier County, according to the SCSO.

On July 9, Wagers admitted while being re-interviewed that the rape allegation was false, the Sheriff's Office said in a press release.

More details as they develop online and in Thursday's News Sentinel.
http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2010/jul/14/sevier-woman-arrested-after-false-rape-report/

This one is in New Zealand...

Quote:

False rape complainant gets supervision
12:57 PM Thursday Jul 1, 2010

CHRISTCHURCH - A teenager who claimed she was abducted, tied up, and repeatedly raped has been released on supervision for nine months after admitting a charge of making a false complaint to the police.

Defence counsel Catherine Hey said Michelle Anne Taruka Grafton had been "considerably distressed" by the extensive publicity after her plea of guilty on May 4.

She said at Christchurch District Court sentencing today that the probation report recommended a therapeutic sentence for the first offender rather than a penalty such as community work.

Grafton, a 19-year-old student, said she had been abducted in daylight on December 19, from Riccarton Road, by a man she knew.

She claimed he had forced her into a car, driven her to an address in Yaldhurst where he tied her hands to a sofa bed and forced her to have sex several times.

She managed to escape next day when he left for work.

After police inquiries she admitted the story was false, and said she had made it up because she liked the attention.

Judge John Bisphan told her: "The court can't sweep this under the carpet, because there was a victim here. I presume the police had to make inquiries and the person you named as the alleged offender no doubt suffered."

He imposed nine months' supervision and ordered her to undertake assessment and treatment as directed.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10655755[//quote]

And this one is in the U.K.....
Quote:

Saturday, July 10, 2010, 10:00Share Bookmark with (what is social media?)Facebook Digg Reddit Delicious StumbleUpon
Teen jailed over false rape claim'Troubled' young woman is jailed for 18 months
A TEENAGER who made false claims she was raped by a stranger in Torquay has been sent to prison for 18 months.

Nikita Kirk, 18, of Godwell Road, Ivybridge, called 999 from a public phone box to say a man she did not know had attacked and raped her.

The stranger was arrested, put into custody and tested for blood.

Exeter Crown Court was told yesterday his 'horrific' ordeal lasted four days before Kirk admitted she made up the whole story.

Sentencing her, Judge Graham Cottle said Kirk had no mental health problems and was simply a compulsive 'attention seeker'.

The court was told that on February 10, Kirk called police to make a 'totally false' report that a man had attacked her.

To support her accusation, she caused injuries to herself.

She took police to an address which she claimed was connected to the attack and identified a man who she said had taken cocaine before raping her.

David Gittins, prosecutor, said the man strenuously denied any part in the attack and offered to take blood tests to prove he had not taken drugs despite a fear of needles.

Four days later Kirk told police the allegation had been false.

At a previous court hearing she admitted one count of perverting the course of justice.

Mitigating, William Parkhill, said Kirk had endured a troubled childhood and had been raised in foster care.

He said pre-sentence reports showed she was a 'very troubled young lady' whose upbringing had left her 'extremely damaged' and prone to self-harming.

"Her behaviour is erratic and beyond explanation," he said, before adding that she had not thought through the consequences of her 'horrific' allegation.

Judge Cottle said the victim's experience could only be described as 'sheer hell'.

He said: "Only four days later did you eventually admit you had made it all up. Anybody who makes false allegations of rape must expect to receive a custodial sentence."

He added: "The behaviour you engaged in was basically attention seeking."

He said while the defendant was on bail for this offence, she committed several others including not paying a taxi driver his fare, committed after she had been drinking.

Kirk was given 18 months for perverting the course of justice and concurrent sentences of two months for six summary offences of making off without payment; sending a false message to police; wasting police time; obstructing a police officer and travelling on a railway without a ticket.
http://www.thisissouthdevon.co.uk/news/Teen-jailed-false-rape-claim-Troubled-young-woman-jailed-18-months/article-2399991-detail/article.html

Everyone agrees that people who make false rape allegations are wrong. They may cause distress to innocent men, they tie up police time and resources, and they damage the credibility of actual victims of rape.

But, false allegations are not the main issue when addressing the societal problem of rape, and, in the context of this thread, they seem to be trying to reinforce the notion that a rape victim cannot be believed, because women have been known to lie. Well, men have been known to lie too, particularly on the issue of whether they forced or coerced sex from an unwilling female, who either did not give consent, was unable to give consent, or indicated she did not want a particular type of sexual contact. Men not only lie, they often blame the victim, claiming she she really wanted it, or asked for it, as judged by her manner of her dress, her past sexual behaviors, her alcohol intake, and other factors, none of which excuses the rapist's behavior.

0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 12:08 pm
@ABE5177,
ABE5177 wrote:

CalamityJane wrote:

I have no idea what you just said.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 12:35 pm
@CalamityJane,
Quote:
Let's face it, hawkeye - your way of thinking is only shared by the ones who
rape themselves and are convinced it must have been a pleasurable experience
to all.
Then I take it you have not noticed that over the last ten years the population of people who believe that sex law has gone off the rails has crown from nearly nothing into a substantial minority. THere are now a lot of people talking about sexting charges and innocent guys getting hauled into court on bogus rape charges and people who make minor mistakes and end up on sexual offender lists for the rest of their lives and thus have their lives diminished.

I am confident the the blow-back will continue to get stronger, and the reason is not because the population of rapists and would be rapists is out of control, the reason is that a lot of bad law has been written .
Intrepid

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 12:42 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Then I take it you have not noticed that over the last ten years the population of people who believe that sex law has gone off the rails has crown from nearly nothing into a substantial minority

Nearly nothing to a substantial minority? Is this an aximoron?
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 01:07 pm
@hawkeye10,
And, my side is beginning to gain some traction

Quote:
RUPERT — A Rupert man who faced a statutory rape charge as a teenager in 2004 hopes Idaho lawmakers will lower the age of consent this year as they continue to hash over the issue in Boise.

“I feel like no young man that’s had consensual sex with their girlfriend should be charged with a felony and have their life ruined,” said Caleb Trevino, now 24.

Currently in Idaho, engaging in sex with someone younger than 18 as an adult is considered rape, even if the contact is consensual, and the felony carries a maximum possible life sentence with a conviction.

The Senate this month unanimously passed a bill to lower the age of sexual consent in which the definition of statutory rape would change to include “such acts (as) when the offender is age 18 or older and the victim is under age 16, rather than 18, or the victim is 16 or 17 and the offender is three or more years older than the victim,” according to the bill’s statement of purpose.

Trevino was 19 during the 2004 charging span when his former girlfriend was 16, according to the Minidoka County 5th District Court record.

“I feel like it’s right for them to pass this,” he said.
http://www.magicvalley.com/news/local/article_a1eb05cc-f281-5bc9-a422-56c44761195a.html
Arella Mae

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 02:12 pm
@ABE5177,
ABE5177 wrote:

CalamityJane wrote:

It is true. It is quite a common symptom of mental illness-believing you are the one with no problem and it's the rest of the world that has the problem. It is one of the reasons so many that are mentally ill and are on medication stop taking the medication. They don't believe they need it. I am sure if you google it, you will see it's true. I used to work in mental health. I've seen it for myself.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 02:40 pm
@BillRM,
I don't think any of us on this thread think it is any kind of good thing, much less a moral or legal thing, to falsely accuse someone of rape. Given what I estimate from years of reading but no data immediately on hand, I take it that a huge percentage of real rapes are still not reported, by men or women, for reasons of personal exposure, possible harrassment, privacy, and, most important, further personal pain, especially years back but even now.

I'll guess that there are false accusations, but I think the numbers of what I described above (not reported real rapes) versus the numbers of false accusations, are very very much larger.

On a question from Bill earlier, about the fifties -
Bill, you can find out what someone is referring to by clicking on the name in italics at the beginning of the response, and going back to see what the person is referring to if you are confused.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 02:41 pm
@hawkeye10,
The change wouldn't affect much legally, because they hadn't been prosecuting most of the cases with the age of consent at age 18.
Quote:

And, consensual boyfriend-girlfriend relationships lacking any aggravating factors aren’t usually charged, even when they’re technically illegal, according to the IPAA and prosecutors from Twin Falls and Cassia counties.

A law change would only “open the door for some real abuses,” according to Cassia County Prosecutor Al Barrus.

Barrus notes his office has upset parents before by declining to prosecute statutory rape in relationships that lacked other abuses or wide age differences, for example.

Twin Falls County Prosecutor Grant Loebs declines prosecution on about five to 10 statutory rape reports per year, he has said.
http://www.magicvalley.com/news/local/article_a1eb05cc-f281-5bc9-a422-56c44761195a.html

So, nothing has really changed. Except maybe they will now see an increase in STD's and pregnancies in 16 and 17 year old girls in Idaho because they are no longer jail bait (as long as the male is no more than 3 years older than the female). And, more 16 and 17 year old girls might be coerced or pressured or forced into having unwanted sexual contact, which would constitute actual rape (as opposed to statutory rape), or more boys will think they have the girl's consent when they don't, and more adolescent boys will face serious rape charges. There is a flip side to removing some of the legal protections for 16 and 17 year old girls.

ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 02:46 pm
@Intrepid,
no, it's a moronic ox...
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 02:46 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
There is a flip side to removing some of the legal protections for 16 and 17 year old girls.
What you call protections I call shackles. Over protection is a harm, not just with children but with anyone or anything, and when we find that we are doing that we should stop.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 02:49 pm
@Arella Mae,
Quote:
It is true. It is quite a common symptom of mental illness-believing you are the one with no problem
it is also true that is is very common for people to think that they know things that they dont, and for people who think that they are doing good to in fact be causing harm. I am guessing that you don't want to go there however.
CalamityJane

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 02:51 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Then I take it you have not noticed that over the last ten years the population of people who believe that sex law has gone off the rails has crown from nearly nothing into a substantial minority. THere are now a lot of people talking about sexting charges and innocent guys getting hauled into court on bogus rape charges and people who make minor mistakes and end up on sexual offender lists for the rest of their lives and thus have their lives diminished.

I am confident the the blow-back will continue to get stronger, and the reason is not because the population of rapists and would be rapists is out of control, the reason is that a lot of bad law has been written .

That's a myth you can't even prove. The people in question who
object to the laws defining sexual misconduct, are probably the very same
ones who are accused/prosecuted of sexual crimes.

Anyone who ends up on the sex offender list, deserves to be there - unless
there is an official vindication and then he/she will be removed automatically.

As it stands now, females are not protected enough as we can see
from the horrendous numbers of rape and molestation cases known - the
dark figures are even more disturbing.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 02:56 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
no, it's a moronic ox...

Quote:
sub·stan·tial (sb-stnshl)
adj.
1. Of, relating to, or having substance; material.
2. True or real; not imaginary.
3. Solidly built; strong.
4. Ample; sustaining: a substantial breakfast.
5. Considerable in importance, value, degree, amount, or extent: won by a substantial margin.
6. Possessing wealth or property; well-to-do.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/substantial

Quote:
Nearly nothing to a substantial minority? Is this an aximoron?

"Nearly nothing to a solidly built minority"

Not an oxymoron, nor moronic, it is the truth.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 03:01 pm
@CalamityJane,
Quote:
As it stands now, females are not protected enough as we can see
from the horrendous numbers of rape and molestation cases known - the
dark figures are even more disturbing.
and this being a free country you strenuously object when people come to a different conclusion than you do, to the point that you reflexively call anyone who dares to opine that we have already gone to far to "protect" women by criminalizing sex rapists or wanna be rapists. What a nice example of your open mind, and of your willingness to let other people make up their own mind without you trying bully them into agreeing with you.