Obama calls for permanent ban on assault rifles

92b16vx

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 10:18 am
@Silverchild79,
If personal responsibility is the connection you are trying to make, than owning a car would have been a better comparison.
aaronssongs

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 10:37 am
@92b16vx,
92b16vx;28095 wrote:
If personal responsibility is the connection you are trying to make, than owning a car would have been a better comparison.

"Just like there are people who have no business creating children, as they have no idea of what it means to be a parent...likewise, there are people who have no business possessing a firearm, because either they are careless, or they have no respect for human or animal life."

Of course, what I displayed was "hyperbole", in order to illustrate a point.
For in my estimation, it takes "certain inherent skills" in order to be a good parent.
I suggest those possessing "said skills" are few in number, and ought not be about the business of propagating the species.
Likewise, those in possession of "firearms", ought to be equipped with mental acuity, compassion, and integrity...attributes, seemingly, sorely lacking, amongst gun owners (in particular, Dick Cheney), in general.
I hope that I made myself and my intentions clear.
92b16vx

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 10:47 am
@aaronssongs,
aaronssongs;28110 wrote:
Likewise, those in possession of "firearms", ought to be equipped with mental acuity, compassion, and integrity...attributes, seemingly, sorely lacking, amongst gun owners (in particular, Dick Cheney), in general.
I hope that I made myself and my intentions clear.

That's a pretty sweeping assumption/accusation considering you don't know even close to all gun owners.
Drakej

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 11:18 am
@Silverchild79,
What about driving a car? Getting a drivers license here is a joke. How many people do you see every day that truly are not ready to drive. From age 15.5 to 102. Should we revoke everyones driving privileges? Because that is how you are approaching the issue of firearms.
aaronssongs

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 11:23 am
@92b16vx,
92b16vx;28116 wrote:
That's a pretty sweeping assumption/accusation considering you don't know even close to all gun owners.

hyperbole...seems to be the order of the day, 'round here.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 11:31 am
@Silverchild79,
It's a valid point, the only hyperbole i see is yours. How many people do you know who own guns? What would be your guess for members on this board?
aaronssongs

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 11:40 am
@Drakej,
Drakej;28133 wrote:
What about driving a car? Getting a drivers license here is a joke. How many people do you see every day that truly are not ready to drive. From age 15.5 to 102. Should we revoke everyones driving privileges? Because that is how you are approaching the issue of firearms.

Indeed...were it left up to me (which it clearly isn't), getting a drivers' license would be "doubly" hard, and getting a gun license would be next to impossible.
You people love your guns, don't you? Must come from playing "shoot-em-up" and cowboys and indians, as children....except you never grew out of it...I attribute it to lack of parental supervision...which goes back to what I said earlier...not everyone should be having children. There should be a national parenting test, before couples can reproduce (there was a movie, a while back surrounding the idea, the title escapes me, now)...now there's a fascist thought for ya.
0 Replies

aaronssongs

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 11:42 am
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;28137 wrote:
It's a valid point, the only hyperbole i see is yours. How many people do you know who own guns? What would be your guess for members on this board?

Frankly, I don't know anyone that owns a gun....That would be criterion for me being friends with said person. I don't believe in them, and I don't believe in people that own them. Is that clear enough?
socalgolfguy

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 11:43 am
@aaronssongs,
aaronssongs;28035 wrote:

There is no place for guns in a civilized society...if all guns were done away with...and legislation were enacted to criminally prosecute anyone who discharged a weapon...this would be a better country, and crime would decrease markedly. IMHO

Therein lies the problem - "Civilized Society". It's not the civilized part that concerns me - it's the uncivilized part. You may live and work in a protected world but the rest of us have to make personal protective decisions based on the despicable element that surrounds us outside our homes. For me, personal protection includes weapons. I'll shoot an intruder before I'll try to reason with him. The notion of being attacked does not rule my life but I am not arrogant enough to think that it will never happen to me.

As for the rest of your comment, the penal system in this country is paralyzed by the lack of penitentiaries. In California, they are early-releasing thousands of thugs due to overcrowding. You're living in a dream world, son.
Drakej

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 11:47 am
@Silverchild79,
I enjoy my firearms. What I do love is this country. I love all the freedoms I enjoy here. But you sir are not capable of maintaining a civilized conversation. You do not know me. You do not know how I was raised. Do not judge me on some other idiots actions and choices. And what is with the child rearing comments? We are talking about firearms. Not kids.
0 Replies

aaronssongs

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 11:54 am
@socalgolfguy,
socalgolfguy;28146 wrote:
Therein lies the problem - "Civilized Society". It's not the civilized part that concerns me - it's the uncivilized part. You may live and work in a protected world but the rest of us have to make personal protective decisions based on the despicable element that surrounds us outside our homes. For me, personal protection includes weapons. I'll shoot an intruder before I'll try to reason with him. The notion of being attacked does not rule my life but I am not arrogant enough to think that it will never happen to me.

As for the rest of your comment, the penal system in this country is paralyzed by the lack of penitentiaries. In California, they are early-releasing thousands of thugs due to overcrowding. You're living in a dream world, son.

The penal system, in this country? You mean, sanctioned institutionalized slavery? Because that's what it is. Have you ever been incarcerated? Well, I have....for something I didn't do. Truth. So, I know "first hand", about the conditions, the cruelty, the injustice...the horror stories, I could tell you.
People inside were asking me, what was I doing there? How I could "I" get caught up in the system...Me! Of all people! Well, it happens daily...and if you don't have the money to sustain competent legal representation, then you are lost, and may wind up dead, by accident or intention...but what's the difference. Dead is dead. What we need is equity, and one system of justice...not two, rich justice and poor justice. Talk about what you know, not what you presume to know.
socalgolfguy

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 12:08 pm
@aaronssongs,
aaronssongs;28153 wrote:
Talk about what you know, not what you presume to know.

I come from a family of peace officers and attorneys. I only speak to what I know. Granted, my perspective is from the law enforcement and punishment side, not the criminal side. I will repeat myself - a thug that my father arrested for drugs tried to kill me when I was 3 as an act of retribution against my father. When he was released for the murder attempt on me, he came back to the neighborhood to shoot my father - wound up dead in a bar shootout as a result. I do speak from experience.

As for you, was your time in city or county jail or was it state or federal prison? If you were imprisoned illegally you have recourse, call your friends at the ACLU, they will be happy to listen. If you are correct, you should be compensated. If you are not, well, I guess the penal system is full of innocent men, just as the guy that bunked with you. Do not presume, young man.
aaronssongs

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 12:18 pm
@socalgolfguy,
socalgolfguy;28162 wrote:
I come from a family of peace officers and attorneys. I only speak to what I know. Granted, my perspective is from the law enforcement and punishment side, not the criminal side. I will repeat myself - a thug that my father arrested for drugs tried to kill me when I was 3 as an act of retribution against my father. When he was released for the murder attempt on me, he came back to the neighborhood to shoot my father - wound up dead in a bar shootout as a result. I do speak from experience.

As for you, was your time in city or county jail or was it state or federal prison? If you were imprisoned illegally you have recourse, call your friends at the ACLU, they will be happy to listen. If you are correct, you should be compensated. If you are not, well, I guess the penal system is full of innocent men, just as the guy that bunked with you. Do not presume, young man.

If you must know, it was in the county jail...I never quite made it to state prison, due to overcrowding (Thank God!)...
I was indeed, imprisoned illegally, and if you think I have recourse, or money for recourse, or that anyone, anywhere really cares what happened to poor little Aaron, then you must be partaking of the same drugs the thug that threatened your family was dealing. The system is broken. Innocent people are in jail, and on death row...because people don't care. Values are no more than lip service...and this country is predicate on lies and deceit. Ugly, but true.
aaronssongs

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 12:20 pm
@Silverchild79,
I have moved on with my life, after paying my "debt" to society, for the offense I was accused of....and I have restored my good name and my standing in the community, and am actively contributing back to society, in the form of my music and my writings...no thanks to anyone, save God and myself.
0 Replies

socalgolfguy

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 12:22 pm
@aaronssongs,
aaronssongs;28168 wrote:
If you must know, it was in the county jail...I never quite made it to state prison, due to overcrowding (Thank God!)...
I was indeed, imprisoned illegally, and if you think I have recourse, or money for recourse, or that anyone, anywhere really cares what happened to poor little Aaron, then you must be partaking of the same drugs the thug that threatened your family was dealing. The system is broken. Innocent people are in jail, and on death row...because people don't care. Values are no more than lip service...and this country is predicate on lies and deceit. Ugly, but true.

Quite honestly, I feel sorry and sad for you. You need something good to happen in your life. Look forward - what has happened is done, move on. Find something positive in your life, get away from politics.
scooby-doo cv

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 12:27 pm
@socalgolfguy,
socalgolfguy;28172 wrote:
Quite honestly, I feel sorry and sad for you. You need something good to happen in your life. Look forward - what has happened is done, move on. Find something positive in your life, get away from politics.

what a patronising post :thumbdown: "Find something positive in your life,get away for politics" yeh right would you be saying that if he was a repblican :thumbdown:
0 Replies

aaronssongs

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 12:28 pm
@socalgolfguy,
socalgolfguy;28172 wrote:

You seem crazy....I'm an activist. I'm political. I'm necessary.
Don't feel sorry for me...your sympathy is unwanted, and unneeded.
I needed sympathy and compassion, at the time...I need nothing from anyone, now...I have what I need...a partner, who loves me for me, not what I can do for him. God has done for me, what I could not do for myself...and I have the best role model on the entirety of the Earth...my mother. Everything else pales.
0 Replies

socalgolfguy

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 12:35 pm
@Silverchild79,
Still you had some bad breaks - inside and outside of your control, it sounds like.
aaronssongs

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 12:42 pm
@socalgolfguy,
socalgolfguy;28180 wrote:
Still you had some bad breaks - inside and outside of your control, it sounds like.

It's called "Life"....amazingly, I'm not bitter...I still believe in man's humanity to man...I believe we can live together and get along...and I believe when the chips are down, in a crisis...we forget our differences and help other...and act like "real Americans".
0 Replies

socalgolfguy

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 12:44 pm
@Silverchild79,
Roger that.
0 Replies