Latinos divided on immigration issue

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 09:18 pm
"Contrary to scenes of hundreds of thousands of united Latinos marching across the country in support of immigration reform, a sizable number of the ethnic group opposes the marches and strongly objects to illegal immigration. "
I read this on KVOA News 4 , Tuscon .
Read here
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,944 • Replies: 104
No top replies

ndjs

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 12:21 am
@Curmudgeon,
I don't care how many of them there are here. If they're illegal, they don't belong and gtfo.
JEB007

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 07:49 am
@Curmudgeon,
I really don't see what people think they are going to acomplish by going out on the streets and protesting.
0 Replies

ndjs

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 08:56 am
@Curmudgeon,
Me either. The people in charge already know they're here. It's not like someone is just gonna wake up, look out the window, and say, "Hey! Looks like we have an immigration issue!"

Maybe they're just trying to stop/slow down new immigration legislation by showing that they're against it, but I don't see going out into the streets the best way to do that.

On a side note, I think I'll go run around the streets of my city today, you know, just letting everybody know I'm proud to be white and an American.
JEB007

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 10:11 am
@ndjs,
ndjs wrote:

On a side note, I think I'll go run around the streets of my city today, you know, just letting everybody know I'm proud to be white and an American.

come on bro'. what does being white have anything to do with it? what does race have anything to do with it?
ndjs

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 02:30 pm
@Curmudgeon,
It doesn't, you're right. The white comment could have stayed out.

but a whole lot of hispanics, regardless of nationality, do refer to themselves as brown...
Lasombra

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 04:40 pm
@ndjs,
ndjs wrote:
It doesn't, you're right. The white comment could have stayed out.

but a whole lot of hispanics, regardless of nationality, do refer to themselves as brown...

Actually, if you saw me, you'd be surprised that I was hispanic.:cool:
0 Replies

Lasombra

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 04:46 pm
@ndjs,
ndjs wrote:
I don't care how many of them there are here. If they're illegal, they don't belong and gtfo.

How would you propose removing a population, roughly the size of Pennsylvania, out of the country?

Last time I checked, we had a problem evicting a lone, little Cuban boy. Imagine what kind of CF we'll get into when you multiply it 11 million times?

Also, while you're deporting these illegals, what do you do with those that have kids who were born here? Wouldn't you be deporting American citizens, who could be atleast 20 years old?

It's one thing to say GTFO, but it's another to actually do it. Nevermind the fact that the moment you say that you're going to evict everyone that you will turn the climate of the country to that of Poland in the late 30's; and last time I checked..that wasn't too friendly of a time.
Brent cv

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 06:26 pm
@Curmudgeon,
I do not think anyone is proposing a complete removal of them at one time. That is not possible.

ndjs mentioned somewhere that when they are picked up by local police for minor offenses and a background check reveals they are illegal, they should be deported.
Lasombra

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 06:49 pm
@Brent cv,
Brent wrote:
I do not think anyone is proposing a complete removal of them at one time. That is not possible.

ndjs mentioned somewhere that when they are picked up by local police for minor offenses and a background check reveals they are illegal, they should be deported.

The problem with that is that local police have no jurisdiction when it comes to illegals. It's a federal misdemeanor offense and local cops can't do a thing about it.
ndjs

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 07:06 pm
@Curmudgeon,
While I'd love to see them all gone, I know it's impossible. It would be pointless until the borders are secured anyways. Yeah, ok, so maybe you don't look brown. But I know plenty of hispanics who refer to themselves as brown, talk about brown pride, etc. I never said all of them do that, they don't. You won't find me making a generalization about races.

I know for a fact that many times illegals are discovered through traffic stops, warrants being served for others, etc. And you are right, police don't have jurisdiction. But they should either make the proper reports or be given jurisdiction to hold illegals until the proprer authorities can do something about it.

What does it say about our country's stance on illegal immigration if the police say, "Oh, you're illegal? Alright then, stay out of trouble. See ya."
Brent cv

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 09:11 pm
@Lasombra,
Lasombra wrote:
The problem with that is that local police have no jurisdiction when it comes to illegals. It's a federal misdemeanor offense and local cops can't do a thing about it.

However they can pull over someone for a broken tail light and find out they are illegal and report it to a higher authority.
Lasombra

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2006 05:00 am
@Brent cv,
Brent wrote:
However they can pull over someone for a broken tail light and find out they are illegal and report it to a higher authority.

That goes on all the time, but local authorities must respond to actual calls - not just do traffic stops on "brown" people to see if they're legal or illegal, as that would be unconstitutional.

The fact of the matter is, that since the 80's the federal enforcement system has been (whether accidentally or by design) unable to go about deporting large scales of people.

In a perfect world, yes a local cop would detain an illegal, inform the FBI or ICE, wait for the Feds to come and extradite them into Federal custody, have the Feds detain them while waiting for a hearing, and then detain them - but that will never happen. Local agencies are not only overworked, but dare not come close to Federal jurisdictions, and the Feds are equally as overworked so that whatever is out of sight is out of mind.

It's wrong, it sucks, but it's the way things happen here.

Am I all for "closing the borders to solve the problem"? Sure. In theory. But I know that's as much a generalization as saying "I want all the illegals gone". Closing the borders is going to take more than erecting a 20' wall in strategic parts of the Southern and Northern borders. It is going to require 100% inspection of all containers (where hundreds of Chinese and Koreans enter the country illegally each year), and redoing our visa policy. 40% of all "illegal immigrants" are here on visa violations. I don't need to say that the 9/11 hijackers were all visa violators.

If we are really going to get tough on border security, we need a movement to expand DHS on the level of the military buildup of the Cold War that Reagan led; and as far as I can see no one in our Legislature wants to even propose it, rather hiding behind the same legislation attempts of the past 50 years.
JEB007

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2006 09:15 am
@Curmudgeon,
ndjs wrote:
...but a whole lot of hispanics, regardless of nationality, do refer to themselves as brown...

hahaha I actually adopted the term "brown" when a smartass kid on another site called me "brown" for the first time ever. I just took it as a term of endearment and made it my own. ("I am the brown people")
let me just say that smartass kid is cool as hell. Very Happy
0 Replies

ndjs

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2006 11:27 am
@Curmudgeon,
haha, that was all pretty funny when that happened Jorge.

Lasombra wrote:
That goes on all the time, but local authorities must respond to actual calls - not just do traffic stops on "brown" people to see if they're legal or illegal, as that would be unconstitutional.
I don't believe anybody is suggesting unconstitutional stops on anybody to check their immigration status. I just think that when an illegal does fall into an officer of the law's hands, that something should be done about it other than sending them on their way.
0 Replies

Brent cv

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2006 01:06 pm
@Lasombra,
Lasombra wrote:

The fact of the matter is, that since the 80's the federal enforcement system has been (whether accidentally or by design) unable to go about deporting large scales of people.

In a perfect world, yes a local cop would detain an illegal, inform the FBI or ICE, wait for the Feds to come and extradite them into Federal custody, have the Feds detain them while waiting for a hearing, and then detain them - but that will never happen. Local agencies are not only overworked, but dare not come close to Federal jurisdictions, and the Feds are equally as overworked so that whatever is out of sight is out of mind.

It's wrong, it sucks, but it's the way things happen here.

Am I all for "closing the borders to solve the problem"? Sure. In theory. But I know that's as much a generalization as saying "I want all the illegals gone". Closing the borders is going to take more than erecting a 20' wall in strategic parts of the Southern and Northern borders. It is going to require 100% inspection of all containers (where hundreds of Chinese and Koreans enter the country illegally each year), and redoing our visa policy. 40% of all "illegal immigrants" are here on visa violations. I don't need to say that the 9/11 hijackers were all visa violators.

If we are really going to get tough on border security, we need a movement to expand DHS on the level of the military buildup of the Cold War that Reagan led; and as far as I can see no one in our Legislature wants to even propose it, rather hiding behind the same legislation attempts of the past 50 years.

I never said pull anyone over because they might be illegal. I said when someone is pulled over for a routine traffic stop and it turns out they do not have a license because they are illegal.. the higher authority should be notified.
tumbleweed cv

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2006 04:40 pm
@Lasombra,
Lasombra wrote:

Expand it? What good would that do? If they can't do their job now, how is making it even bigger going to solve the problem? They aren't using all the tools at their disposal.

Didn't Bush establish the DHS? Isn't the DHS responsible for border security?
Neither one seems very effective.
Drnaline

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2006 04:52 pm
@ndjs,
ndjs wrote:

I concure.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2006 04:55 pm
@ndjs,
ndjs wrote:
Me either. The people in charge already know they're here. It's not like someone is just gonna wake up, look out the window, and say, "Hey! Looks like we have an immigration issue!"

Maybe they're just trying to stop/slow down new immigration legislation by showing that they're against it, but I don't see going out into the streets the best way to do that.

Quote:
I'm proud to be white and an American.

I bet you know there first word after you do that, "Racist", LOL.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2006 04:57 pm
@JEB007,
JEB007 wrote:
come on bro'. what does being white have anything to do with it? what does race have anything to do with it?
About as much as being hispanic does to this immigration problem. I appears to me they make it an issue about there heritage, i see no problem with ndjs being proud of his.