What Should Happen to General McChrystal?

snood

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 08:45 am
What’s written below my comments is from an article in the Atlantic Wire. General McCrystal did an interview in the Rolling Stone entitled “Runaway General” , in which he’s portrayed as not very supportive of Obama and his administration.

This is a very touchy situation. Some of the worst things said were by members of McCrystal’s staff, but that doesn’t remove the responsibility from the general. He is in violation of the Uniform Code of Military Justice and has committed an offense that is clearly punishable. The text of Article 88 states that

“Any commissioned officer who uses contemptuous words against the President, the Vice President, Congress, the Secretary of Defense, the Secretary of a military department, the Secretary of Transportation, or the Governor or legislature of any State, Territory, Commonwealth, or possession in which he is on duty or present shall be punished as a court-martial may direct.”

But, we are about a year out from the projected withdrawal from Afghanistan, and we’re right in the middle of a time of uncertainty there, stirred up by the recent revelations about mineral resources there, and what that means about our mission there.

He’s being summoned to the White House today. Do you think he should be fired?

Here’s the excerpt…

Will McChrystal Be Fired?
The Washington Independent's Spencer Ackerman doubts it. "It's perilous for Obama to fire McChrystal now, with only a year remaining before the July 2011 date for beginning to transition to Afghan security responsibilities and consequently beginning troop reductions. But it's going to be on McChrystal to repair the trust with the White House this profile has clearly damaged. If McChrystal keeps his command, that Rolling Stone reporter got the general's last big interview."

• ...He Should Be
Central Asia expert Joshua Foust writes, "Basically, either Obama or McChrystal are going down over this. It should be McChrystal - he broke the law. Obama needs to fire him. The issue is a uniformed general mocking the vice president. That is a direct violation of Article 88 of the UCMJ. He should not be allowed to continue to serve after that lapse of judgment/insubordination. Kandahar or no, if McChrystal gets to keep his job after publicly mocking the VP, he has shown he is untouchable."
http://www.theatlanticwire.com/opinions/view/opinion/McChrystals-White-House-Criticism-Complicates-War-4073/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 41 • Views: 13,197 • Replies: 208

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 08:58 am
@snood,
Send him and his staff down to the Gulf to help organize the oil clean up.
0 Replies

A Lyn Fei

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 09:00 am
@snood,
It's a very difficult situation. I don't believe Obama should fire him. My reason is that I believe this would do more harm than good. I fail to see how Obama would "go down over this" if he doesn't fire him. Unless there is some intelligence that deems the General a threat to security, I believe he should be reprimanded, but not fired for making this particular mistake.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 09:03 am
he should be fired---today. there can be no usurpation of presidential authority by the military.
panzade

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 09:04 am
I was hopin you'd comment on this snood
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 09:04 am
Fired today. This guy ain't doing **** that can't be done by someone else; he isn't critical for the success or failure of the entire war.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 09:07 am
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 09:11 am
Even Glenn Beck said he should be fired (and he's apparently been very supportive of him).
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 10:13 am
I saw the last bit of an interview with the editor (?) of Rolling Stone on CNN this morning. It seems that the article was vetted by all the appropriate military people.

I don't think he'll be fired but I want to read the full article first. (Which, by the way, is up online at http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/17390/119236).

Given the demographics of Rolling Stone I'm not entirely convinced that the article appeared exactly as it should have (Hey, that General -- he's one of us") and that the repremand was fully expected.

I think it's very interesting that this story, and the story of America inadvertently funding the Taliban broke at the same time.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 10:21 am
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

he should be fired---today. there can be no usurpation of presidential authority by the military.

word
CarbonSystem

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 10:32 am
kinda funny, in a way. i'm yet to read the article though. is public image better than a mission accomplished?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 10:37 am
@ehBeth,
When I read this - I was sure dys was being sarcastic. I realize there are pretty serious rules in place re military personnel respecting the chain of command - but didn't you guys support those who criticised the previous administration? Not so much on partisan grounds, but in respect of free speech - and the deference to those who put their lives on the line every day to uphold that free speech?
scott1

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 10:37 am
He should be fired. He knows he messed up but hey, too late buddy.
Here is a 5 to 6 minute video explaining the whole thing incase anyone is interested. Hit 'watch full clip' though or else it will move on to other current news.
http://www.frequency.com/video/general-stanley/124854
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 10:40 am
@Lash,
Anyway - per me - I take serious offense to military personnel criticising the president openly - or within the ranks - during wartime. That should be a court-martial offense, imo. I don't think we should go digging through their diaries nshit... So, I think this one is Obama's call. I think we're a bit past the lordly deference to the position of president in this country - and if Obama's smart - he'll talk with the guy - explain his goals, make the guy feel shitty, and get the guy on his team.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 10:45 am
(revel,felt like a change in name after being away for a while)

He did break a military code (looked it up, article 88) but it sure would be a big thing if Obama fired him. Not sure it would be worth it in the end, on the other hand it is a bad precedent to set.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 10:47 am
I really wonder why such hasn't been reported before on other media. But now in a "music magazine".

From Politico
Quote:
McChrystal, an expert on counterterrorism and counterinsurgency, has long been thought to be uniquely qualified to lead in Afghanistan. But he is not known for being media savvy. Hastings, who has covered the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan for two years, according to the magazine, is not well-known within the Defense Department.

And as a freelance reporter, Hastings would be considered a bigger risk to be given unfettered access, compared with a beat reporter, who would not risk burning bridges by publishing many of McChrystal’s remarks.
hamburgboy

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 11:15 am
@Walter Hinteler,
will the general retire " to spend more time with his family " ?
isn't that the usual - face saving - exit line ?
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 11:20 am
My guess is that McChrystal will stay in charge for a few months, then retire. His staff who spoke out of school will find new jobs and their chances for promotion reduced to zero. I don't understand how McChrystal would fall into this trap. This is a clear military no-no. Senior military people are expected to talk to the press, but have the wisdom to know when to shut up.
dyslexia

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 11:27 am
@engineer,
Quote:
My guess is that McChrystal will stay in charge for a few months, then retire.
good PR I guess but a major error.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 11:29 am
@dyslexia,
isn't PR the most important part of the military now?
0 Replies