What Should Happen to General McChrystal?

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 11:39 am
Old soldiers never die . . .

Send the guy home.

What do you do when you're branded
And you know you're a man?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 11:46 am
@Lash,
not sure what dys intended - but I think that what he wrote - read straight out - is the right approach

officer and a gentleman and all that

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 11:46 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
didn't you guys

I honestly don't think there is a "you guys" on this.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 11:50 am
@Lash,
Quote:
but didn't you guys support those who criticised the previous administration?

Retired generals are free to say what they like, that's the whole point. Can't fire them. The military is pretty strict about this stuff.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 12:23 pm
@ehBeth,
Beth - my apologies. Please consider my use of "you guys" to include anyone at A2K who meets the criteria. Quite a lazy broad-brush stroke from me this morning - but it wasn't meant as an indictment, for sure. I should speak more clearly.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 12:26 pm
Cyclops - I remember a conversation about enlisted man, John Kerry, criticising his administration - and later enlisted men criticising Bush. The opinions were all over the place...and seem to follow our political preferences...
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 12:27 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Cyclops - I remember a conversation about enlisted man, John Kerry, criticising his administration - and later enlisted men criticising Bush. The opinions were all over the place...and seem to follow our political preferences...

Shrug, you're probably right.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 12:29 pm
LOL!!! ok! Oh, that was a sweet laugh, Cyclo. Thanks. Hey. I'm close to SF now. You still near Berkeley?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 12:30 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

LOL!!! ok! Oh, that was a sweet laugh, Cyclo. Thanks. Hey. I'm close to SF now. You still near Berkeley?

Sure am. You should come have lunch with me and my wife sometime and tell her what an ass I am online. She can tell you what an ass I am in real life, I'm sure you'd get along great.

Cycloptichorn
Lash

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 12:43 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I'd love to have lunch with you and your lovely...and I have nothing but good things to say about you. I'm still settling in to my apartment. When my therapeutic nesting is completed, I'll drop you a line and try to organize brunch/lunch sometime. Looking forward!
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 12:44 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

I'd love to have lunch with you and your lovely...and I have nothing but good things to say about you. I'm still settling in to my apartment. When my therapeutic nesting is completed, I'll drop you a line and try to organize brunch/lunch sometime. Looking forward!

Okay, send me a PM about it!

Cheers
Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 01:45 pm
It would be kinda dumb to fire McHrystal. Itd be the second firing in a years time and that would send a wrong message down the line. WHAT if Mchrystal resigned and Obama just refused to accept his resignation in the spirit of "getting the job completed" Mchrystal would then be holding a nice bag of "I owe him one"
CarbonSystem

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 01:50 pm
Well it appears mCchrystal and obama haven't had the greatest relationship before anyways, according to the infamous article. He's an army guy on the top of the command. Once he's in there, he can do what he wants to steer things how he chooses. Well, he can attempt it at least.
Apparently his whole grand plan isn't working too well, and he knows he's on the way out anyways. Afterall, were supposedly supposed to start pulling troops then (finally).

Inconsistencies in the stance of the army and the exec. are bad.
BUT
It seems someone speaking in a critical manner about the president and his administration is something we could use more of in country.
Whether or not this guy is a hero or an ass, smart or dumb. It at least makes the public a little more aware of the scope of our country and it's bullshit reason for attempting to redefine a muslim culture with western ideals.
Historically these things don't work.
BUT
There's trillions of dollars of minerals there! We JUST FOUND OUT!!!
..... Rolling Eyes
no wonder they're trying extra hard to avoid killing civilians.
as is mcChrystal.
of course obama is well aware of it all too.
2 sides of the same coin here.

We can sit here and make our conjectures about what his punishment should be, but there's far more pressing issues going on right now. I believe this to be a distraction story.

0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 02:15 pm
@farmerman,
fm, you are a silly ass sometimes. as i figure (times have changed) McChrystal is fifth down the chain of command in a system that demands absolute compliance to authority.
rosborne979

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 02:40 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:
What Should Happen to General McChrystal?

If he's smart he'll walk into the president's office with his resignation in his pocket.

0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 02:54 pm
In any case, since the meeting is reportedly happening as we speak, we should all know soon...
farmerman

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 02:55 pm
@dyslexia,
I dont think that he should be fired at this time. Remember Karzhi likes his ass immensly. (nomatter what the admin thinks of Karzhi--hes our creation)
dyslexia

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 03:03 pm
@farmerman,
karzhi and his familia should be removed and placed on a beach in Somalia with only the clothes on their back and no swiss bank accounts. He makes the taliban look like the good guys.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 03:07 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:
stirred up by the recent revelations about mineral resources there, and what that means about our mission there.

Hi snood,
Not wanting to get off-topic here, but I informed the UK public about the uranium deposits and oil-rich n.east region, over 18 months ago. I was made aware of these bounties nearly a decade ago. Are you saying that this is a recent revelation to you folk?
Best wishes.
mark...
realjohnboy

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 03:11 pm
I can not imagine General McChrystal keeping his job. Snood, career military, correctly noted that officers should, and are required, to keep their opinions quiet. He went way over the top, managing to criticize many influential in the administration. And it is not the first time.
He is probably an otherwise good soldier at a crucial time. But I can not believe they can keep him.
0 Replies