Thumbs down, Up yours

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 10:50 am
I really thought I was better than this but it keeps niggling me and have come the the simple conclusion, that if the case is that people who don't even say what it is they don't like or understand this means they are just being trolls.
It finally means my vanity will be gone, because there is absolutely no way to logically measure the worth of a topic or question by the number next to it any more as it is open to personality biased idiots who don't even have the stones to tell someone what it is they dislike or what I now reckon have a total lack of imagination and intelligence about the subject.
Cowards and idiots the lot of you.
Won't even face me you utter losers.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 14 • Views: 8,984 • Replies: 139

Rockhead

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 10:56 am
@sometime sun,
yeah.

there's not many of us fond of the zeroes. and they get abused a lot.

kinda like life, though, you gotta learn not to take it personally and move on.

good luck, and welcome to the forum...
plainoldme

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 10:56 am
Well, I wouldn't put it that way.

YEs, there are knee jerk voters who will vote against a political position, source of a quote or the poster. But, sometimes simply voting against a post rather than making a statement that will ignite an argument is the better, more adult option.

In addition, the posts that you vote down serve as bookmarks within the thread.

Really, unwarranted insults are far worse than a simple click of the mouse.
Reyn

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 10:59 am
@sometime sun,
This is a feature I believe Robert is working on.

Many use it to clear a thread from their view on their computer, and NOT to actually thumb something down, sending a "message" to the original poster.

I believe that Robert is working on a way to filter threads without thumbing them down.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 11:05 am
@Reyn,
Reyn wrote:

This is a feature I believe Robert is working on.

Many use it to clear a thread from their view on their computer, and NOT to actually thumb something down, sending a "message" to the original poster.

I believe that Robert is working on a way to filter threads without thumbing them down.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 11:08 am
@sometime sun,
Reyn wrote:
Many use it to clear a thread from their view on their computer, and NOT to actually thumb something down

Exactly. A thumbs down is not necessarily a slight against you. There was a lot of hand-wringing about this when the feature was first introduced, as was discussed in this thread. You just have to learn not to take it personally.
sometime sun

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 11:12 am
@Rockhead,
Moved on by posting this topic.
It just means the loss of an important feature such as ratings.
I cannot now take any of the numbers seriously at the side of any topic or question.
It really has absolutely no basis in its true reflection.
At least if it is a positive mark, you know someone has gained something from it and it is worth taking a look.
You may as well do away with the whole feature as it is meaningless.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 11:15 am
@sometime sun,
if the number next to an individual post is greater than one, you have been shown appreciation.

it takes some getting used to.

you'll be ok...
sometime sun

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 11:18 am
@plainoldme,
The whole point of a forum is to give over your opinion and defend yourself.
You say adult here wrongly.
An adult knows himself enough to have definition and courage of his convictions.
It may not always be intelligent but it is truly adult to stand your ground and defend what you believe in.
What you describe sounds more like child's play, pulling the girls hair and then running away.
Infantile even.
Agreed unwarranted insults are far worse, but if they have a basis in reality they are truly warranted.
If you think I enjoy and have it in my nature to call people names for NO good solid logical reason you will soon see that I have a genuine heart and do not sully myself without reason.
dyslexia

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 11:20 am
my primary motive for thumbs down, is that I'm not interested in the thread (puzzles etc)
sometime sun

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 11:21 am
@Reyn,
This is still a personal preference that has consequences on another.
This is not cool.

And I hope I do not sound as if I am attacking A2K established members as it is as likely to be coming from some of my old forums members as well.

No bloody class.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 11:23 am
@sometime sun,
sometime sun wrote:
...I cannot now take any of the numbers seriously at the side of any topic or question.
It really has absolutely no basis in its true reflection.
At least if it is a positive mark, you know someone has gained something from it and it is worth taking a look.
You may as well do away with the whole feature as it is meaningless.

I'm an existing A2Ker, and you won't get an arguement out of me on this subject. Never been a fan of it.

But, on the other hand, when a service is being provided totally free of charge, one has to roll with this kind of thing and see past it.

As I mentioned above, I'm sure I read in a recent thread that Robert is working on this to improve and expand this feature.

We do need to have patience though, as he has an outside job and needs to make income, just like the rest of us. Robert and his crew don't make money off this forum, and I believe, he just does it as a labour of love.

Changes will come.
0 Replies

sometime sun

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 11:23 am
@Shapeless,
But it affects MY score regardless if it is or not personal, so although there may even be no malice, it is still another's preference and action having consequence on my personal being and space and rating.
sometime sun

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 11:26 am
@Rockhead,
I forgot to thank you for your welcome.
Thank you.

What if someone has appreciated it and by the time I get to my compute rit is gone.
I will never know I have touched someone.

I will be okay but this still is presently making me sad.

Thanks for your words
Reyn

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 11:27 am
@sometime sun,
Yes, this is correct, and unfortunately, and in my opinion only, this was a feature I would have preferred had never been instituted, but that's life (see my post above).

As I said, changes are coming....
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 11:30 am
@sometime sun,
Quote:
But it affects MY score regardless if it is or not personal

I'm not sure what "score" you are referring to. Do you mean the thumb count itself? That's the point: it's not a score. It's a measure of activity, not quality. That's all.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 11:30 am
@sometime sun,
if you know in your heart that you are doing what it takes to try and help or touch folks, it will happen.

other peoples judgments on it are secondary.

and you are welcome...
0 Replies

sometime sun

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 11:31 am
@dyslexia,
So because you are not interested makes it uninteresting?
Your preference has a direct result on someone else, don't you find this just a little bit disrespectful?
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in you philosophy.

Great to hear form you though, as I am genuinely interested in the justifications of this act.
ebrown p

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 11:32 am
In some threads, particularly when I am trying to challenge commonly held beliefs, I consider a thumbs down as the highest form of praise.

The fact that someone cares enough about what you are saying to thumb you down, should be seen as a compliment. It means you are standing out against the group mind that sometimes develops on topics here.

Occasionally people will tell me (or actually tell other people around me) that I am on their ignore list. I find that the practice of disclosing this is both rude, and flattering at the same time.
Reyn

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 11:32 am
@Shapeless,
Shapeless wrote:

I'm not sure what "score" you are referring to. Do you mean the thumb count itself? That's the point: it's not a score. It's a measure of activity, not quality. That's all.

Well, yes, and no.

As soon as you reply to a post, the score goes up one, unless one deliberately votes a post down.

If one just views the thread (activity), this does not affect the "score".