Eliminate negative voting

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 07:12 am
Last night I posted an item which involved nothing in the world other than information which could be more than a little bit valuable to anybody needing to buy cars:

http://able2know.org/topic/130449-1

Sure enough, at least one of the little flock of a dozen or so idiots here have voted this item down to a zero count as usual and, in this particular case, that could have the effect of not allowing one or more A2K readers to avoid making a $5000 mistake.

In other words, the reader who missed this item because it had been voted down to a zero count would have been UNABLE TO KNOW.

I would suggest that you eliminate negative voting. That says if fifteen people find an article worth voting up, the article has a count of fifteen, and not fifteen minus X time some sort of an idiot factor.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 3,423 • Replies: 51

farmerman

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 07:56 am
@gungasnake,
OK, deal, iegative voting AND the ignore feature. (You are a whining POS who ignores everyone who rubs you the wrong way). Now you want protection? typical GOPer. "keep the govt out of my face unless it can give me something"
boomerang

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 07:58 am
I could be wrong, gungasnake, but I think a negative vote means only that it doesn't show up on that particular voters page but that it still shows up for everyone else. It simply means that that one person has no interest in the topic and don't want to keep seeing the headline.

If you look at "new topics" you'll often see threads voted "0".

I will confess to feeling a little pang when I post a thread that rates "o" when there aren't any replies attached because I think it will convince people to pass over the thread without looking at it (maybe because I've done this myself) but I've learned not to take it personally.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 08:00 am
The thread still shows on my view of "New Posts", albeit on the the second page.

I'll add that, IMO, you've kinda made a career here of being a single-minded ass. You've made your bed, and now you're whining about it.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 11:59 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
OK, deal, iegative voting AND the ignore feature. ...

Ever take any sort of a basic logic course in school?

I mean, some attempts at analogy simply don't work; my having the dozen or so idiots here on ignore does not affect other people's likelihood to see any particular thread.
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 12:56 pm
@gungasnake,
We have very few active moderators and negative voting is one way for the membership to take the trash out themselves. We need to harness the users' help to help police their own content and it's just not going away despite its shortcomings.

That being said, a mere 0 is not what it takes to do so (it takes a sum of -10+ at the moment) , it can be oped out of, and the rating system is doing to change to a Bayesian average-based algorithm.
farmerman

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 01:58 pm
@gungasnake,
Quote:
I mean, some attempts at analogy simply don't work; my having the dozen or so idiots here on ignore does not affect other people's likelihood to see any particular thread.

You put the people on ignore who present you with questions and propositions that you cant handle. SO you get all whiney and then you ignore them. Now you want your posts to stay up when most people, after reading your whiney crap, decide that theres not much substance there. Why should your material remain. AFter all, this A2K is not about you nor is it for you alone.

Id say that its something you can deal with or move on .
gungasnake

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 03:36 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:

You put the people on ignore who present you with questions and propositions that you cant handle....

If that's the euphemism you want to use for name-calling and abuse then yeah, I plead guilty.

Occasionally I try to post some sort of a public service thing on A2K and for anybody to vote that down is basically abusing the system. In the particular case in question here you or one of your dickhead friends is saying something like:

Quote:
Hey, I WANT somebody who reads A2K to miss this piece of info and possibly not get saved from some sort of a $5000 *******, because I'm an asshole.

DrewDad

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 03:41 pm
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:
Occasionally I try to post some sort of a public service thing on A2K ...

VERY occasionally. Signal-to-noise ratio approaches "zero", however.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 04:28 pm
@gungasnake,
Quote:
Occasionally I try to post some sort of a public service thing on A2K and for anybody to vote that down is basically abusing the system.
. What is it you do not occasionally?
1Talk out your snakey ass

2 And most other times you are repeating item 1.

PUBLIC SERVICE..... RIIIIIGGGHHHHHTTTT!
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 08:15 am
@Robert Gentel,
Like I say, in this particular case at least, negative voting has defeated the basic purpose of A2K and you can read "farmerman" 's commentary and note that he's proud of having done that; you have to assume the same is true of the other dozen or so involved.

If you wanted to fine-tune the thing in theory at least you could disallow the people a given poster has on ignore from voting down that person's topics.
farmerman

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 02:16 pm
@gungasnake,
Hey dipshit, I didnt even know that you had a thread about Carfax until you posted this whining piece about how everyone disses you. I get it all the time and it doesnt even make me lose my interest in other posts.

Deep breathing snakey, itll do wonders , even though your species has only one lung
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 02:36 pm
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:
Like I say, in this particular case at least, negative voting has defeated the basic purpose of A2K.

No, it really hasn't. Despite the increasingly tedious tendency to try to tie one's qualm with the votes they've received to some imagined greater purpose that is being impeded it just isn't so. The thread's rating is not anywhere near the threshold that would make it collapse for anyone, so it's no less visible than it would have been without the voting system.

If you guys clearly can't tell the difference between a thread that has a handful of negative votes and what you imagine must be "dozens" then perhaps the difference isn't as great as you imagine and perhaps this greater good that you imagine is being "defeated" just isn't.
Letty

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 02:55 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Just feel a bit defeated, Craven, when I can no longer write poetry.
Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 02:58 pm
Who or what stops you from writing poetry?
Letty

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 03:01 pm
@Setanta,
Well, Setanta when one get a thumbs down for no reason, it rather inhibits the desire to create. If we had more original writing here. I bet you would be good at it as well.
wandeljw

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 03:07 pm
@Letty,
I understand how you feel, Letty, but you shouldn't let that discourage you. If the voting values have any legitimacy, DrewDad is the most popular person on the planet. DrewDad's "NeoPets Riddles (Lenny Conundrums) and Answers" currently is rated at 196. Smile
Letty

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 03:17 pm
@wandeljw,
Thanks, wandel, but I quit being concerned with popularity when I passed from my teenage years into adulthood. (that reference to drewdad gave me a smile)

I felt rather sad when I was at my son's home recently, and saw my poem from The Realm framed and hanging on the wall. It was written when it was my birthday so long ago, and he valued it enough to preserve it.
DrewDad

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 03:28 pm
@Letty,
Letty wrote:
I felt rather sad when I was at my son's home recently, and saw my poem from The Realm framed and hanging on the wall. It was written when it was my birthday so long ago, and he valued it enough to preserve it.

Ah....

I'm afraid I don't understand that. I could understand nostalgic. I could understand emotional. I could understand feeling proud, embarrassed, or sentimental.

I don't get "sad".

Not saying you shouldn't feel that; just saying I don't understand what prompted that feeling.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 03:29 pm
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:
DrewDad's "NeoPets Riddles (Lenny Conundrums) and Answers" currently is rated at 196. Smile

That's even with me thumbing down my own thread.... Razz
0 Replies