Thumbs down, Up yours

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 12:14 pm
@sometime sun,
btw....did you catch the tags your thread...this thread... has gotten??

Forums: General, Community, Unpleasant, Bad Form

What does this tell you about a2k???
sometime sun

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 12:14 pm
@hawkeye10,
YES exactly, I want my posts and topics to be in popular and with this there is no chance.
I am definitely an acquired taste but this should not prohibit me form getting my stuff out to more.
I know I went straight to popular when I first got here.
Thanks
Below viewing threshold (view)
Below viewing threshold (view)
Rockhead

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 12:18 pm
a broken watch is right twice a day...
0 Replies

sometime sun

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 12:18 pm
@Shapeless,
This makes no sense to me, I get what you said but it makes no sense.
So the count goes up with a joiner, but someone who does not join in can take it away.
No sense at all.

Surly those who can negate must actually join in the discussion.
One of my main points in the beginning, how can you take something away from someone without telling them of your need.
sometime sun

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 12:20 pm
@hawkeye10,
Agree absolutely.
This system makes absolutely no sense to me what so ever.
And the more I look at it the more illogical it becomes.
Who thought it up?
No sense.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 12:29 pm
@sometime sun,
so you'd want people to post on every thread they're not interested in (and about to thumb down so they disappear from their personal view of A2K) , so that the thread starter knows they're not interested?

that would be a lot of work given the number of threads that are started here each day
sometime sun

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 12:32 pm
@hawkeye10,
I haven't even gone into tagging yet.
Another sore spot I am going to have to 'get over'.
More senselessness to look forward to. (sun sad smile)
0 Replies

sometime sun

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 12:34 pm
@ossobuco,
Someone said something like this, that it will teach them trolls a lesson.
Number one trolls enjoy being told off in any manner, they positively get a kick out of it.
And secondly are we not in danger of becoming the trolls?
0 Replies

sometime sun

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 12:35 pm
@ossobuco,
Also what would be so hard about a simple ignore button that has no effect on anything?
0 Replies

sometime sun

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 12:36 pm
@hawkeye10,
Nothing yet, I gave all of those to myself
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 12:37 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
a few of us have refused to be driven away...you need to be clear that you are a rebel though...and in the end Robert will win....will kill a2k for those who care about ideas....about truth..

Oh get over yourself.
The vast majority here read your posts without getting their panties all knotted up.
0 Replies

sometime sun

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 12:38 pm
@hawkeye10,
Certainly not a rebel, just a concerned citizen, I know the two now a days can be easily confused with each other.
sometime sun

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 12:42 pm
@ehBeth,
Absolutely not.
But why does disinterest have anything to do with the thread its self?
If you are not interested in something I have absolutely no clue why your vote would count against it.
No clue.
Sorry if I am coming across as a whiner, I just have absolutely no understanding and reasoning for this system.
dlowan

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 12:44 pm
@sometime sun,
Hawk attempts to romanticize himself with both labels.

I'd take time to get to know him before you dignify him with either.

He has a rush of blood to the head because he has a fresh new audience who aren't bored with him yet.

He has some reasonable ideas from time to time, but you have to wade through a lot of horse manure to find the pony.
Mame

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 12:46 pm
@sometime sun,
I was going to introduce you to Hawk because you sounded so much like him, but I see I needn't bother.

To the two of you - I NEVER even look at the numbers, and probably a lot of others don't either.

Just because a thread has a high thumbs up number doesn't mean I'm going to be interested. So I look at the title ONLY. Probably others do this as well.

Can you, Hawk, stop the persecution complex you have going and just realize it's not always about YOU? And you, Sometime sun, can you not see that it's a pointless number? As I said before, you could have 5000 responses to a thread (as some do), but 10,000 or 40,000 viewings and a number count of 22... does this mean it's unpopular?? Of course not! The number is not related to the popularity.

I thumbs down any and everything that doesn't interest me. With the large number in this community, you can imagine how many threads about puzzles or creationism, or religion, or adulterers looking for advice and support that I don't want to see. If I didn't thumb them down, I'd need a new scrolling finger. That's the only reason I thumb them down.

So take it like a man. It's NOT about YOU. (or Hawk).
djjd62

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 12:47 pm
i have to admit, the thumbs thing still boggle my mind

seeing this on the front page - Topic voted down (view), or this in a thread - Post voted down (view), drives me more nuts than the topic or post i might not be interested in
0 Replies

sometime sun

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 12:49 pm
@dlowan,
I don't label people at all.
Unless 'friend' is one?
ehBeth

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 12:50 pm
@sometime sun,
At this point, thumbing down a thread is the only way to get it out of your personal "view" at A2K. Robert's mentioned that he's working on a different kind of filtering system which will mean the thumbs won't be needed for that purpose, but it's not here yet.

The previous iteration of A2k had even more evidence of types of value (i.e. member post counts by each post) - I'll be glad to see all of them going. I'm not a fan of "voting" for posts or threads. I am, however, a fan of ways of getting things I'm not interested in out of my face.

I don't tell every person I meet every day I am not interested in them. There are ways I can avoid them. Right now, here, thumbs are the way to declutter.

The ignore function is different, to my way of thinking. There are some posters that are simply gutter or consistently boring beyond words. I am happy to use the ignore feature on those - I don't see their individual posts, I don't see threads they start. Brilliant.