Thumbs down, Up yours

djjd62

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 12:52 pm
@sometime sun,
i love to label people
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/uimages/la/110708label-05.jpg/110708label-05.jpg
dlowan

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 12:52 pm
@Mame,
Because it upsets some folk so much, I only thumb down threads that I know will not do me any good at all to get drawn into...or if I am already drawn in, I do so to assist myself with maintaining the discipline to avoid them...sometimes until I cool down, sometimes forever.

I no longer thumb down threads that simply do not interest me, because so many folk feel it really is an expression of disrespect to them even when there is no such intent.

Disruptive posts that I know will help ruin a thread if responded to I thumb down without a qualm.
dlowan

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 12:53 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun wrote:

I don't label people at all.
Unless 'friend' is one?

The labels I referred to were "rebel" and "concerned citizen".

You can't HELP labelling things...words are a form of label.
dlowan

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 12:55 pm
@djjd62,
Yeah...you're the bad apple in the bunch.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 01:01 pm
@sometime sun,
Quote:
Sorry if I am coming across as a whiner, I just have absolutely no understanding and reasoning for this system.

I don't think anybody sees you as a whiner. You are new here, and are perfectly entitled to question how stuff works and give your opinion of it and have it be heard...more so as you understand it more fully.

If you are still complaining constantly about the same things and maliciously ascribing sinister motives to Robert every chance you get and thinking of yourself as a pioneer with a high and lonely destiny and seeing yourself as a divine prophet dishonoured in your own land by the rest of us who are cast in the role of unthinking Yahoos (the collective Hawk generally calls it) after several years, THEN we might see you as whining!
0 Replies

sometime sun

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 01:02 pm
@Mame,
Honey you haven't heard anything yet.
Totally original me (sun smile)
Yes I have concluded not to bother looking at it at all either and to not bother with it either.
I kind of wish this had not been the first topic I made that got me an introduction to all of you wonderful people.
Yes pointless number up until the number is used to put them in a higher position keeping me out of the popular area, so not so pointless after all.
Yes still to much the boy I am afraid.
And what makes you think a real man doe snot stand up for what he sees as an injustice or an unreasonable?
What makes you think I have not been totally brave and manly today in coming to the main forum alone and with out my philosophy friends?
or tags?
I know it is not 'just' about me, but it is a little and that little me I try to take care of.
Not just about me sure, about the whole forum and something I simply cannot understand or rationalise.

I made my statement and complaint in the first post.
I am over that, now I am just trying to UNDERSTAND.
And Change where change very well may be necessary.

All my best, It has been great meeting such a cross sectio0n of you all.
There really was no need for my trepidation, you are all quite interesting.

All my possibles to you all, sometime sun
sometime sun

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 01:15 pm
@ehBeth,
Yes absolutely, this is a very helpful post, thank you.
I am not a fan or understander of the ignore button also but if it keeps those away who would effect me negatively more power to the button.
I only say they should say why they have no interest because it has direct consequence upon those who they choose to do this to.
Thank you again and look forward to the new implementations.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 01:15 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Because it upsets some folk so much, I only thumb down threads that I know will not do me any good at all to get drawn into...or if I am already drawn in, I do so to assist myself with maintaining the discipline to avoid them...sometimes until I cool down, sometimes forever.

I no longer thumb down threads that simply do not interest me, because so many folk feel it really is an expression of disrespect to them even when there is no such intent.

Disruptive posts that I know will help ruin a thread if responded to I thumb down without a qualm.

So you're happy to scroll through dozens of uninteresting (to you) threads just so people won't feel upset?

You're a better woman than I am.

0 Replies

sometime sun

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 01:16 pm
@djjd62,
Thank you for the smile, you brought a moment of happiness to me.
0 Replies

sometime sun

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 01:19 pm
@dlowan,
I was partly joking with you, still have not tried to figure out the smilies button. (sun smile)

Very good point about words though.

Perhaps I should say I do not condemn people?
something like that.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 01:20 pm
@sometime sun,
Why do you care about popularity?

Isn't the number of responses and viewings enough? You think the thumbs up number actually means something or is more meaningful than the number who responded?

I think you've got things ass-backwards here.

I don't mean to call you a whiner even though you did sound like one. Well, okay, maybe I did. lol. But you sounded just like Hawk and I'm just so tired of that way of seeing things. I remember the hue and outcry about this very topic when we were shunted to this new site, also with little notice and no preview. Lots of whining going on then, I can tell you! But we all dealt with it in our various ways and nobody mentions it anymore.

Anyway, welcome to A2K, such as it is, and we who live here think it's great, so I hope you do, too.
sometime sun

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 02:25 pm
@Mame,
I care about popularity because I need to be critiqued, I am an aspiring writer and unless I either get the inspiration or exposure my place here is mute, because I will not be getting the training and experience I so sorely need.
Do you see I need to be in the popular area because it will get me more action and participation and give me more chance to muse, create and write.

I may very well have it ass backwards but that is because no one has of yet convinced me this is a right way to be doing things.

From what I have seen I also think it is great here apart from this. So far?
I miss my previous home but do so wish to make this new one mine.
Just trying to do D.I.Y and house keeping before I lay down my rugs.
I hope it is a serious consideration to do away with this gripe of mine.
I don't care really if someone does put there thumbs down to me as long as they explain themselves and as it is apparent that I get a thumbs down for no particular reason at all I am not sure which is worst, that they saw and read me and did not like me or that they just do not like my form or context or for the silly reason they want an unbusy screen.
As said I am pretty off the wall sometimes.
But it dose make me wonder would I prefer to be disliked than ignored.
And I understand I will not be to everyones tastes but I do so wish my position was not demeaned by the fact of disinterest rather than a genuine dislike.
Do you not see my point at all?
I really do need my stuff to get out there as I do WORK in places such as these, you could even say it is part of my profession to be a forum goer.

All the best and thank you so much for the welcome.

Are first impressions the best way to judge someone?
If so I hope you have not compartmentalised or me myself to much just yet..

My task is to grow, still a little pot sore from my move but am definitely seeing good soil to grow and encourage others growth here as well.

Great to greet you.
djjd62

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 02:38 pm
played a little dedication to you on WA2K Radio

http://able2know.org/topic/40045-2694#post-4169829
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 03:14 pm
@sometime sun,
Hear hear, sometime sun. I've been saying the same thing since forever.

Welcome to A2K.
JTT

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 03:16 pm
@dyslexia,
Quote:
my primary motive for thumbs down, is that I'm not interested in the thread (puzzles etc)

To vote a topic down so you don't see it anymore, Dys, you click on it on the "My Posts" page. It then disappears.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 03:24 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun wrote:

I care about popularity because I need to be critiqued, I am an aspiring writer and unless I either get the inspiration or exposure my place here is mute, because I will not be getting the training and experience I so sorely need.
Do you see I need to be in the popular area because it will get me more action and participation and give me more chance to muse, create and write.

A thumbs down is a number; a post is a direct response from someone to you. Are you telling me you value numbers more?

If someone nasty continually got a lot of clicks into his posts, his numbers would rise, but it wouldn't be because of popularity. Maybe people are going in there to tell him off Smile Or maybe they're just curious. Or maybe they want to watch the show unfold Smile That does happen, you know, where people bring popcorn and an armchair to a thread Smile

What determines your popularity (and believe me, it isn't numbers, because that's only thread-related anyway) is YOU. What you say and how you say it. And that's it.
plainoldme

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 04:01 pm
@sometime sun,
My, aren't you testy. I say adult wrongly here. Well, that comment ended my neutral opinion of you. I say adult wrongly here.

You really ought to explain that.

The purpose of this forum is, first and foremost, to exchange ideas.

You may not have been here long enough to realize that many people are only here to bait others. There are several that are downright nasty.

I did not "describe" what you think I "described." Either you are projecting or not reading well.

When one encounters some of the nasties, sometimes the best thing to do is vote them down. As I said, the practice provides a convenient marker.

You really failed to make clear what sort of voting down you meant . . . for the thread itself or for individual posts.

But, there really are times when the best thing to do is vote down. Right now, and, until you give contrary evidence, I think that only a childish person would dare to accuse someone else of "pulling girls hair and then running away."

I started a thread on the notion of the right fighter because I feel that there are times when one's view must be defended and now is a time of great division and great danger within this country.

If adult behavior is so outside your realm of experience that you think it childish when advised to you . . . in a light tone . . . well . . .'nuff said.

plainoldme

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 04:03 pm
@ebrown p,
There are people whose praise I would never want.
sometime sun

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 04:03 pm
@JTT,
Thank you JTT and I welcome you to sometime sun.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 04:04 pm
i can't see why anyone would care about how many votes their threads receive. I never look!