Possible Homes For philosophyforum.com Refugees

djjd62

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 01:50 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:
My only worry is the content here (Bad language, off-thread-smut, etc). It doesn't appear to be very well controlled with regards to maturity - No disrespect to the staff.

Embarrassed

uh oh, i'm sorry, i never really grew up, but i try
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 01:51 pm
@mark noble,
As a member of both sites for a while I can tell you that a2k trends more mature (literally too, it's an older demographic) and can more than give Philforum a run for its money in the intellectual department.

There is a lot less posturing, and more irreverence for sure but it's not an intellectual step down from Philforum at all, on the contrary.
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 01:53 pm
These guys want to destroy our smut. Nevermind... let's kick them out!

A
R
Time to burn the witches!
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 01:54 pm
@mark noble,
Quote:
It doesn't appear to be very well controlled with regards to maturity
if you want prim and proper then you are in the wrong place....a2k is more like a family thanksgiving where you can always count on misbehavior out of some, and bickering, but the family bonds while strained do not break. Usually.
failures art

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 01:57 pm
@hawkeye10,
I'd add that if you end up on certain people's ignore list, you're doing something right.

Laughing

A
R
T
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 01:58 pm
@mark noble,
My only worry is the content here (Bad language, off-thread-smut, etc). It doesn't appear to be very well controlled with regards to maturity - No disrespect to the staff.
Quote:

It's self-controlled. If you don't want to see posters who curse a lot (I curse a lot, because I reject the false dichotomy that is so-called 'bad language') you can ignore them on a per-post or a total basis.

Cycloptichorn
mark noble

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 02:54 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Hi (I'm not writing that) can I refer to you as "Cyclo"?
I'm not averse to it, I just don't wish to be plagued by it. I can ignore, you say? Never had to employ that feature before, but, if I must...
Thank you for the advice, cyclo. Have a great day.
Mark...
0 Replies

Zetetic11235

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 03:09 pm
Why not Philosophyforums.com (note the 's')? They seem to have a strong community not too unlike philosophyforum.com.
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 03:17 pm
@Zetetic11235,
Well, here's one reason. Able2know is going to be the number 1 ranked "philosophy forum" on search engines.

The old forum currently is, and it used SEO software that was originally copied from the open source SEO mod I made for phpBB that thousands of sites use. I am also considering merging other philosophy forums here and I'm determined to make this the top spot to discuss philosophy online.

I'm not going to get all draconian on you guys and try to stop you from shopping your options but I wish you'd give this site more of a chance. This is going to be a top spot for philosophy discussion on the web.
TickTockMan

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 03:29 pm
@apehead,
TickTockMan here. Or should I say out of here. I may start visiting www.philosophyforums.com

The new format here bites.
The old forum had personality of appearance. This place is cold and trendy looking. It's been nice talking to you all. Well, some more than others.
TickTockMan
Ahab

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 03:34 pm
@Robert Gentel,

Quote:
I am also considering merging other philosophy forums here and I'm determined to make this the top spot to discuss philosophy online.

Have to say I am somewhat trouble by your declared intention of planning on merging other philosophy forums with this site. Sad
Looks like those of us who don't care for the way this site is organized are going to have even fewer choices available to us. Fewer choices and less freedom.
hamburgboy

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 03:37 pm
@Ahab,
a welcome to all philosophers !

http://www.gema-neuss.de/Gifs/Carl%20Spitzweg%20-%20Der%20arme%20Poet.jpg
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 03:43 pm
@Ahab,
I'm sorry you feel that way, but I don't see myself as a threat to your freedom and happen to think you landed on one of the least-evil types of forums you can find on the internet.

I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree on that, and while I can understand you not liking this site at first blush I don't think that my stated intention to continue to grow this as the primary destination for philosophy online is a threat to your "freedom". I want to consolidate philosophy forums because despite the angst about aesthetic change the greater network effect of the larger membership allows for more vigorous discussions and is a net boon for the community in the long run.

Let's not get carried away here about this threatening "freedom". Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Theaetetus

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 03:44 pm
The major problem I have seen so far with the transition, is the fact that many threads are totally jacked up with formatting errors and missing text. I figure it will be fixed in time, but a large number of old threads are nearly impossible to read--some of which are pretty much short 500 word articles on key thoughts of philosophers.
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 03:48 pm
@Theaetetus,
Point them out to me and we'll fix them. We just ran one of the fixes on the non-standard dashes. Let me know where else there is non-standard characters or bbcode that isn't here and I'll make them.

Here, I'll even issue a challenge to the philforum community:

I will try to add any bbcode that is good for the community* in the next 72 hours. Name the bbcode you miss and I'll make it happen here.

*as long as it is a net positive to the community (so no [scroll], [blink], etc).
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 03:48 pm
@Ahab,
Quote:

Have to say I am somewhat trouble by your declared intention of planning on merging other philosophy forums with this site

Merge? Are you sure that is the right word?

Quote:
Inflected Form(s): merged; mergĀ·ing
Etymology: Latin mergere; akin to Sanskrit majjati he dives
Date: 1636
transitive verb
1 archaic : to plunge or engulf in something : immerse
2 : to cause to combine, unite, or coalesce
3 : to blend gradually by stages that blur distinctions
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/merge

Devour seems closer to the truth.
Quote:

the mis use of language annoys me.
0 Replies

G-Thomson

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 03:49 pm
@TickTockMan,
I will miss you TickTockMan.
While I didn't get the chance to talk to you much, you were a well-known presence.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
0 Replies

jgweed

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 03:51 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I would hope that, rather than go shopping for another forum, that those who made Philforum unique and important philosophically, would stay here and help work---together--- through whatever problems there might be.

In two ways, this forum is a work in progress. From a system point of view, there are improvements and enhancements that are "under construction;" from the point of view of some special needs for philosophical discussions, there may also be needs to be identified. Perhaps because I am, like many Pf friends, "feeling my way" through the differences; I will be the first to acknowledge that some activities that were simply normal and habitual seen awkward to me now on my first day here.

I intend to continue, as I did at Philforum, to use my unique blend of forum management experience, philosophical knowledge, and IT training to join in Robert's efforts to make A2K the paramount forum for philosophical discussion.

PS: anyone using Firefox can easily add the BBCodeXtra add-on.
platorepublic

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 03:53 pm
I see what this was all about. Someone decided to buy the forum for $5000.

It's all went down to money. Great. No matter what people say, this place just won't do - stop lying to yourselves.

Bye. Have fun.
Theaetetus

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 03:58 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Will do. Most of the code was a result of the text editor on the old forum. Many members probably had no clue about bbcode. I can keep a list of those that I see.
0 Replies