Is there any place folks from philforum can ask questions?

jeeprs

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 05:09 am
that's about it. I have quite a few questions about the transition. I have seen the Welcome posts, but this is about particular issues/ideas.

LIKE, for example, how to subscribe to posts, how notifications work, whether our friends/reputation/subscriptions will come across.

Krumple

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 05:14 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs wrote:

that's about it. I have quite a few questions about the transition. I have seen the Welcome posts, but this is about particular issues/ideas.

LIKE, for example, how to subscribe to posts, how notifications work, whether our friends/reputation/subscriptions will come across.

oh you don't need all those material things do you? let your wisdom speak for itself and be your friend/reputation/subscriptions. Oh wait ignore me, i am talking out of my orifice again. I want my friends/reputation and subscriptions too!
jeeprs

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 05:16 am
@Krumple,
Quote:
oh you don't need all those material things do you? let your wisdom speak for itself and be your friend/reputation/subscriptions. Oh wait ignore me, i am talking out of my orifice again. I want my friends/reputation and subscriptions too!

noted. And well said!
0 Replies

jgweed

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 05:27 am
This seems as good a place as any to collect questions and receive answers.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 05:27 am
This is as good a place to ask as any.

Friends -- you can follow people. Just click on a username and select "follow user". Never want to see a person's posts again? You can also select "block user". Users can always be unfollowed or unblocked from your profile page.

Reputation is trickier; I think people may gauge, in part, based on # of followers but since there is no reasoning behind it I might have followers because I'm helpful or I might have them because people want to see what an ass I'm going to make of myself every time I post.

PS Subscribe to a topic by clicking "get email updates" at the top of the page.

Oh and the bad words are not blocked.
jeeprs

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 05:31 am
@jespah,
well, thanks for the answer, but I was talking about all the friends I already had, 23 I think it was, not those I am (hopefully) yet to make.

Anyway, as the marvellous Peter Allen song said, 'everything old is new again'.
jespah

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 05:35 am
@jeeprs,
Oh, hmm. I suspect they're to be found on a buncha the topics tagged as Philosophy or General.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 10:33 am
Friends and subscriptions will be coming over soon. Reputation will as well if I can match up the systems well (you think the previous post "thanks" should match up to upvotes here?).
salima

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 10:45 am
how come you guys got your avatar so fast? i still havent figured how to sign into that gravatar thing...and besides that, if my avatar is there for other people to pick out and use i wouldnt like that either-i created it out of some old yahoo program...i am even beginning to look like her these days, except my clothes are black instead of white...l
salima

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 10:49 am
following people inst the same as asking someone to be a friend and they have the option to refuse too. with 'following' i feel like a stalker...but dont worry, i am only complaining, i have jumped right into the water and am following just about everyone who turns up

jeep, i had nearly 100 friends that i dearly loved, some of whom were banned and i cant even remember who they all were! it's not that i am fickle, i just have a bad memory for names...and faces...and everything but numbers actually and even they are now beginning to fade away...
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 10:49 am
@salima,
salima phil wrote:

how come you guys got your avatar so fast? i still havent figured how to sign into that gravatar thing...and besides that, if my avatar is there for other people to pick out and use i wouldnt like that either-i created it out of some old yahoo program...i am even beginning to look like her these days, except my clothes are black instead of white...l

Sal do you still have the image you made, saved on your computer some where?

If you do go to that gravatar site and register, all you have to do is click the "Get Your Gravatar Today" button and put in your email address.

Then sign into your email and respond to the email that gravatar will send you. Once you have your account active you can upload an image from your computer using the first button in the list once you sign into gravatar.
salima

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 10:53 am
@Robert Gentel,
i am guessing an upvote is a thumbs up button i see...but where would it register or total up anywhere? that would be more like our old thankyou button i think, wouldnt it? thank yous and number of posts along with boons from admirers more or less added up to our rep value...not an issue for me, but still curious to know what all is available.
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 10:56 am
@salima,
There is a "reputation" variable but it's currently not visible because we plan to change the ratings system here from the current one to a weighed Bayesian algorithm that is more nuanced.

In any case this is a forum where real reputation (the kinds I can't code) tends to matter more than any number on the screen.
salima

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 10:56 am
@Krumple,
sure i got it...why do i feel so creepy about having to register all over and have accounts? i already have a huge chart with all my logins...

how did you make your avatar? and i always meant to ask you why you chose the name Krumple...this big sudden change sort of impresses on me that there really is such a thing as mortality. even if the spirit goes on and on and on what is the use if we cant find out friends?
salima

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 11:00 am
@Robert Gentel,
well that's cool, then i wont be able to use it anyway...

i gave you a thumbs up for that post though! how would you know? if i want to give someone a thimsup and their thumb is already green (upped i assume) will it add a number somewhere?

guess there is no point in trying to understand something that is going away...i think i stayed up too late, better go to sleep now.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 11:03 am
@salima,
salima wrote:

well that's cool, then i wont be able to use it anyway...

i gave you a thumbs up for that post though! how would you know? if i want to give someone a thimsup and their thumb is already green (upped i assume) will it add a number somewhere?

Their thumb is only already green if you've already clicked it. The number is the number next to the thumbs.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 11:05 am
@salima,
salima wrote:

sure i got it...why do i feel so creepy about having to register all over and have accounts? i already have a huge chart with all my logins...

Yeah youll be known for ever in cyberspace, somewhere, and always.

salima wrote:

how did you make your avatar?

just used my favorite image editing program.

salima wrote:

and i always meant to ask you why you chose the name Krumple...

It's been a nickname ive had for a long time because it resembles my last name.

salima wrote:

this big sudden change sort of impresses on me that there really is such a thing as mortality. even if the spirit goes on and on and on what is the use if we cant find out friends?

Yeah exactly, which is why I don't think we do, as sad and depressing as that sounds.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 03:51 pm
@jeeprs,
I am still very vague about the email notifications. Are there any? I updated a few threads yesterday, but there has been no notification. It is hard to find the conversations I am engaged in.

I also had a few emails that some Philforum folks are 'following' me but when I click on that link, it leaves me at the front door.
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 03:56 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs wrote:
I am still very vague about the email notifications. Are there any? I updated a few threads yesterday, but there has been no notification. It is hard to find the conversations I am engaged in.

At the top of every thread (near tags etc) you can "get email updates". But if you can explain to me what you were expecting I might be able to improve that feature more.

You can also follow all posts you have participated in easily in the "My Posts" link in header, which shows all topics you have ever participated in ordered by latest response.

Quote:
I also had a few emails that some Philforum folks are 'following' me but when I click on that link, it leaves me at the front door.

I bet those were users who had " phil" appended to their names and then had it removed, making the links in the email to "username phil" invalid. You can find them on your profile, however.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 03:57 pm
@jeeprs,
Quote:
I am still very vague about the email notifications. Are there any?
there will be, but only for replies posted after you log out.
Quote:
I updated a few threads yesterday, but there has been no notification. It is hard to find the conversations I am engaged in.
here is the list of topics you are subscribed to http://able2know.org/account/subscribedTopics/
Quote:
you can see who is following you (and who you are following) on your profile http://able2know.org/user/jeeprs/