Possible Homes For philosophyforum.com Refugees

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 04:01 pm
@platorepublic,
I think you owe me the responsibility of trying to know a bit more about what you are talking about before you make claims about my motivations platorepublic.

You know not a whit about my motivations yet have no compunction at all about making claims about them.
0 Replies

Theaetetus

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 04:26 pm
@jgweed,
jgweed wrote:

PS: anyone using Firefox can easily add the BBCodeXtra add-on.

But remember, we had problems getting members to just use a modern browser with basic spellcheck.
Zetetic11235

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 05:46 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Is there any sort of framework for more private features, so we can have controlled discussions? It would be nice to have groups users can create and moderate so we can keep certain topics on point without too many people coming in an trolling or this or that. Is there any feature like that here?

An aside: don't take it personally; I've had some gripes with the previous set up at philosophyforum.com as well. I mainly am concerned with privacy controls so that if we want to have a serious discussion or debate we can have some mechanism for approving or disapproving people who want to join in. Obviously if we are having a specialized discussion and people are popping in just to 'find out what it's all about', it's all well and good if they observe but I don't want it getting flooded with silly questions, friendly or no.
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 05:49 pm
@Zetetic11235,
That is our current top priority: groups. With groups you will be able to run microcosms here the way you want, and we'll create a philforum group comprised of the members of philforum and run by the previous staff.

With groups you'll be able to make a sub-forum the way you want and it will be the first major thing we release.
Zetetic11235

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 05:52 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Is there a time table for that?
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 05:56 pm
@Zetetic11235,
Not really, because the only way to keep it is to sandbag (arbitrarily add to the estimate) and we are working on an ASAP basis, but we are hoping to have some initial test groups running (including our own private staff forums) within a week or two and probably a wider run within the weeks after that.

But this is intent, and this is more like our hobby than business so life may intervene. Things may be significantly faster/slower than that. Please don't treat this as an ETA, just a general guess that it is measured in weeks.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 06:02 pm
@Theaetetus,
But wait, just above the reply box is Enable BBC editor..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 06:14 pm
I can see the need for groups and for chat, but to some fair extent here, the chat happens in the threads, however grizzly, though pms are a surplant/support community, likely always humming.

Gosh was right in pointing out we haven't to date operated in an academic atmosphere - except we do sometimes in certain categories while having felt free to just mock a post on, say, religion in general, atheism, and so on. There was an early on effort to have a debate sector with tough rules.

Mostly people just post.

Robert is likely right in going to groups as a social choice. Me, I like the mix.
dlowan

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 06:17 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Will people not members of groups be able to see, but not post? Or will they be invisible to non-members?
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 06:18 pm
@dlowan,
Depends, some will be completely invisible. Others may be completely open. There may be settings in between. Most likely it will be flexible, in order to allow microcosms to the wider a2k world to develop their own culture.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 06:23 pm
@ossobuco,
Oops, that was Theatetus.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 08:26 pm
@failures art,
Quote:
These guys want to destroy our smut. Nevermind... let's kick them out!

A
R
Time to burn the witches!

Excuse me, but as a smutty philosophical witch I do not like being singled out.
ughaibu

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 09:51 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
we are working on an ASAP basis, but we are hoping to have some initial test groups running
I would prefer to see prioritisation for stuff to do with the immediate use of the board. For example, a link to first unread post, and once a thread has been read, it's removed from the new posts page.
failures art

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 09:55 pm
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:

Quote:
These guys want to destroy our smut. Nevermind... let's kick them out!

A
R
Time to burn the witches!

Excuse me, but as a smutty philosophical witch I do not like being singled out.

No. I'm talking about the other witches.

A
R
T
0 Replies

solipsister

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 10:10 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
I'll make it happen here.

a gentel god with an objective

groups is the go, i'd like to be experimented upon
0 Replies

Khethil

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 01:41 pm
Aside from those who've already declared such in this thread, have any other Philosophy Forum refugees found another home already?
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 01:44 pm
@ughaibu,
Read tracking (which is what we are calling the group of features you are talking about) is pretty high on our list.
0 Replies

ABYA

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 05:29 pm
Change, who wants it?.
The trouble with being human is that we are basically lazy, we get into our comfort zones, make a few friends (maybe). Put our slippers on, grab a coffee and relax, some of us with a smoke or two. Then one day, that place where we found our rest is taken away, we throw a tantrum and curse evolution, we want to stay as we are. Bloody evolution for making me move on, bloody inertia for making me want to stay where I am.
I'm sure things will turn out just fine here, once we find our way around we will soon be able to relax with a smoke and a coffee and discover we have a new place of rest.
For those who want a look for somewhere else, heres one I havn't seen mentioned in this thread, dissident philosophy
http://dissidentphilosophy.lifediscussion.net/philosophy-f1/
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 09:42 pm
Where is the best academic philosophy forum online?

Buying all the other forums where people go to argue with one another, yet hardly engage in ANY meaningful academic philosophical discourse isn't going to make this site the "best". It will just make it the empire of the crappy -- and having been a participant at several of the sites mentioned here just adding crap upon crap isn't going to suddenly turn a mountain of crap into gold.
Neil D

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 10:13 pm
@Aedes,
Some of the philforum refugees are migrating to: http://www.philosophychatforum.com/
Its more like the site that sold us to this place. Focused primarily on philosophy, and science, and maybe a handfull of other things of the like.

Good luck
0 Replies