Looking for rommel quotes

Rabs

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 07:28 pm
@acacia,
ACACIA- I know what quote you are referring to, Rommel was actually talking with Hitler, Hitler said " you wont have any trouble there are only 2 colonial divisions stationed " Rommel replied " those are not colonial division's those are Australian's , give me 2 Australian Division's and ill conquer the world " , he also was noted saying " Australian's are immensly tall and powerful men" referring to the 50 or 60 Aussie POW's in north africa he talked to, he was also noted saying how when he has fought in europe with tanks, once infantry positions have been overrun the infantry are happy to be alive and surrender at once, not Australian's, " those men just keep attacking and attacking, what drives them to such bravery?, the devils just wont stop " that is another quote from rommel he said that to one of his officer's fighting against the aussies in tobruk. hope that shows to everyone that the Australian army was no push over and that they deserve the upmost respect from everyone !! , these are all 100% accurate
Setanta

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 03:00 am
@Rabs,
Nobody here assumed that Australians are "push-overs," or don't deserve respect. That does not mean that your claim should be accepted just because you say so. Have you a source for this quote?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 03:11 am
By the way, Acacia started this thread more than eight years ago. I suspect Acacia will not be paying any attention to your response.
0 Replies

wilardnz

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2012 05:35 pm
@Ionus,
Sorry but you are wrong...Rommel said if he had NZ troops he could win the war...Rommel DID NOT like the Maori battalion because of their lack of knowledge when it came to the rules of engagement..eg they bayonetted previously injured German troops "mulitple" times when they passed through German lines...a no no in the conduct of War...bloodlust!
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2012 09:19 pm
Now it's the Kiwis! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Silberkreuz

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 02:30 pm
@Ionus,
Hi Lonus, I have been reading your posts and I think you could answer my question. What is the German General/ Marshall Larish collar tap made up from, they look like acorns and oak leaves. The back of the two devices is something that looks like an oak tree stump. Is any of the above correct.
Thank you.
0 Replies

Harry Hamster

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2013 04:04 am
@joefromchicago,
Actually Joe you are wrong.The Australians fought as an Australian unit. In respect to Europe NO Australian soldiers actually fought in Europe unless you want to count the debacle in Greece in the early years of the war. Hence it only needed ONE Canadian soldier to be in Europe for it to be said that more Canadians than Australians served there. On the other hand, in spit of HOW ludicrous this may sound, MORE Australians, faced in actual combat, more Japanese than the USA actually faced, in actual combat. Many a media published US victory had been won by Australian troops. I would suggest you do some research on this Joe before you dismiss it. As to actual troop numbers and impact the Australian effort puts the Canadian effort to everlasting shame.
Harry Hamster

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2013 04:08 am
@panzade,
Considering with their very first engagement with German troops in Africa,the very same troops who had been whipped and being chased by the British. That when the US soldiers , who outnumbered the Germans, who outsupplied the Germans and who had massive more firepower than the Germans and the fact that the US got its ass well an truly beaten at their first encounter with the Germans at Kasserine pass I doubt if you remarks can be validated in ANY way by historical records.
0 Replies

Harry Hamster

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2013 04:09 am
@joefromchicago,
Joe that is bullshit.
Setanta

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2013 04:10 am
Jesus, that's lame. No Australians on Guadalcanal, no Australians in the Gilbert and Marshall Islands, no Australians in the re-taking of Wake Island, no Australians on Saipan or Iwo Jima or Okinawa. Maybe you're the one who needs to do some research.
Harry Hamster

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2013 04:15 am
Australian soldiers did NOT fight in Italy. New Zealand soldiers DID. Indeed 60% of the invasion of Italy was undertaken by the British. This puts into perspective the bullshit of some of these posts. Up until the very last 6months of the war, British forces in DIRECT contact with fighting enemy forces, on land, in the air and at sea OUTNUMBERED those of the USA. In the pacific MORE Australians saw active service against hostile Japanese forces than those of the USA. Many an engagement won by Australian forces were given as credit to Americans so the home fires in America kept burning. Without the effort of the USA the 2 ww could not have been won.But the claims of the Americans as to their effort is very false! Romel actually said, "The Australians are obviously an elite force of the British Empire, a fact that is also evident in battle." Actually he did not SAY it,he WROTE it! Joe from Chicago seems a particular dim wit with the comments it makes.
Setanta

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2013 04:19 am
@Harry Hamster,
Have you got a source for that claim? You know, something reliable, other than "because i said so?"
Harry Hamster

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2013 04:21 am
@Setanta,
The battle of Milne Bay was fought and won before the conclusion of Guadacanal. First time in the war a Jap invasion force was stopped. Australians! Gona and Buna were WON before Guadacanal. Australians mainly although US history says Aus at one and Americans at another. An inconvenient truth is that the American forces were repulsed and had to be led by Australian infantry in order to take their objectives- facts that are easy to find! No Americans on Timor nor a multitude of other small islands but there is also another EASY fact that any one with out a retarded brain can find out,
MORE Australian soldiers actually FOUGHT - yep that's actually FOUGHT- against MORE Japanese soldiers in the Pacific theatre than did US forces.
An inconvenient truth, sure, but the truth is out there!
Harry Hamster

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2013 04:23 am
@Setanta,
That's YOUR method of operation, just saying so - what is YOUR reference for you highly inaccurate unfactual remarks??
Setanta

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2013 04:25 am
@Harry Hamster,
So then, you don't have a source for your bullshit claim.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2013 04:27 am
@Harry Hamster,
You haven't provided any sources. Are you now saying that there were Australian troops on Guadalcanal, in the Gilberts, in the Marshalls, on Wake Island, on Saipan, or Iwo Jima, on Okinawa? You're peddling gingoistic, chauvinistic bullshit for which you provide no sources.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2013 04:34 am
Leaving aside your blindness about naval operations--i guess you never heard of the Battle of the Coral Sea--you're peddling bullshit about Europe, too. More Americans than Brits landed on the beaches--you can only get your figure by including the more than 20,000 Canadians who landed. More American airborne troops jumped over Normandy as well. As the campaign progressed, more American troops were brought into France than British, and the number of Canadian reinforcement doesn't even match American casualty figures. This was all well before the last six months of the war.

I see you've got the name-calling part down pat, though.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2013 07:20 am
@Harry Hamster,
Harry Hamster wrote:

Actually Joe you are wrong.The Australians fought as an Australian unit.

No, actually I'm right. I never said that the Australians didn't fight in their own units - that's a pretty pathetic strawman argument you've erected. Instead, I said that there was no Australian army in the ETO (including Africa), and that's absolutely true. Furthermore, I didn't say anything about the PTO, so I didn't "dismiss" anything.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2013 07:21 am
@Harry Hamster,
Harry Hamster wrote:

Joe that is bullshit.

---> Joke

--->You
0 Replies

mb68nz

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2015 06:37 pm
LONDON, October 4 (A.A.P.) Rommel doesn't like the Maori troops He complained bitterly to a press conference in Berlin: 'The British use foreign troops like Maori scalp-hunters. This has resulted in unfair methods of fighting. 'The Maoris penetrate a position, and simply kill every-body. We have to reply to such methods with hard measures, although we prefer fair methods of warfare.' http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/50147586
0 Replies