Health Insurance versus Health Care

xris

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 02:16 pm
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero;144172 wrote:
I absolutely believe you that the cost per capita is less, I wanted to hear a guess why that is.
As a health service it can be more aggressive in buying pharmaceuticals from the drug companies so reducing the price of drugs.

The drug companies have less power in the british lobbying system.

It has no insurance companies intent on profiting from medical insurance. It does not pay dividends to share holders, this is the main cause of higher costs in America.

It does not spend billions on determining the fitness of its potential customers.

It encourages charitable interests to compensate for certain lack in funding by central office. Those who invest in the charity benefit from it. Something that could not be done in a health service for profit, it would not allow the competition.
0 Replies

Dave Allen

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 02:20 pm
@BrightNoon,
The UK's NHS also makes half as many misdiagnoses as the US system as a percentage, which saves money (and lives).

Probably because it operates to a set of standards that the government are accountable for.

As they saying goes - the only time British people have a shorter life expectancy than Americans is when they're on joint manouevres.
0 Replies

EmperorNero

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 02:32 pm
@BrightNoon,
xris;144181 wrote:
As a health service it can be more aggressive in buying pharmaceuticals from the drug companies so reducing the price of drugs.

The drug companies have less power in the british lobbying system.

It has no insurance companies intent on profiting from medical insurance. It does not pay dividends to share holders, this is the main cause of higher costs in America.

It does not spend billions on determining the fitness of its potential customers.

It encourages charitable interests to compensate for certain lack in funding by central office. Those who invest in the charity benefit from it. Something that could not be done in a health service for profit, it would not allow the competition.

Ok, all these are plausible reasons why the free market is less efficient in allocating goods than government is.
Would you say that these reasons apply to the economy at large, i.e. to the distribution of cars, toasters, or wine?
Dave Allen

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 02:35 pm
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero;144186 wrote:
Ok, all these are plausible reasons why the free market is less efficient in allocating goods than government is.
Would you say that these reasons apply to the economy at large, i.e. to the distribution of cars, toasters, or wine?

One faculty can work one way and another can work another.
EmperorNero

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 02:40 pm
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;144187 wrote:
One faculty can work one way and another can work another.

What are you saying? That health care is different? Why so?
Dave Allen

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 02:49 pm
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero;144190 wrote:
What are you saying? That health care is different? Why so?

Because I think it's a mark of a civilised society to offer decent healthcare to people regardless of whether they are rich or poor. The reasons for this have already been given in this thread plenty of times, but three important ones I would say are:

1) Sick people can't be productive people unless they are treated.
2) It's both cheaper and more effective.
3) It strikes me as fair play.

Decent toasters - not so much. Goods are an incentive to wealth and industry I can conceed as useful and productive - health shouldn't be.
EmperorNero

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 03:08 pm
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;144197 wrote:
Because I think it's a mark of a civilised society to offer decent healthcare to people regardless of whether they are rich or poor. The reasons for this have already been given in this thread plenty of times, but three important ones I would say are:

You are giving me a reason why people should have health care, not a reason why the government distributing it would be more efficient than a free market.
If we decided that a civilized society should offer food or clothing to it's citizens regardless of whether they are rich or poor, would that mean that government would be more efficient at distributing these goods as well?

Dave Allen;144197 wrote:

That might be an overall benefit to the economy (which I disagree with), but benefits to the overall economy does not explain why health care itself should be cheaper, more efficient or more effective when socialized.

Dave Allen;144197 wrote:

You are going in circles, I asked you why government health care is cheaper and more effective, you answer that the reason is that it is cheaper and more effective. Why is it cheaper and more effective?

Dave Allen;144197 wrote:

See first paragraph, it might be fair, but that we decide that people should have health care does not somehow mean that government is better at providing it.

Dave Allen;144197 wrote:
Decent toasters - not so much. Goods are an incentive to wealth and industry I can conceed as useful and productive - health shouldn't be.

Health care is a 6th of the US economy. Equivalent to the entire economy of France. You may consider getting it a human right, but economically distributing health care is no different than distributing toasters. So why should communism work on health care?
xris

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 04:35 pm
@EmperorNero,
You really are amazing, I show you that our system is less expensive for all and is economical viable for the whole population and all you want to talk about toasters and communism. Do you ever stop this bigoted rhetoric? Your failed right wing establishment has failed your country , your people and the world. A country that had everything is being reduced to a propaganda led corporate ghetto, trying to blame anything social and calling it a communist inspired downfall of this great America. Get real its your corporate greed and this damned self interest thats killing your economy. The worlds changing, stop being so damned insular and realise we all need to help each other.
0 Replies

EmperorNero

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 05:01 pm
@BrightNoon,
Toasters and communism... hehe. :a-ok:

So you are saying that state capitalism is superior to free markets?

---------- Post added 03-27-2010 at 12:30 AM ----------

No shareholders have to be paid, etc. All those were the reasons why communism was supposed to make society richer than under capitalism.
Actually my question to all of you is this: Why would communism work on health care?
cruise95

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 08:31 pm
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;144197 wrote:

Funny...this is exactly the same reason why everyone should be good looking. I'm half way kidding on this one...but half way serious too. I would much rather buy a beer from a hot barbie than any other. If you look good, then you feel good. There are many people that are less efficient or depressed because of their looks. Should we also offer government subsidized face lifts, tummy tucks, and plastic surgery.

I think that all females should be forced to have breast implants Very Happy
xris

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 04:20 am
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero;144262 wrote:
Toasters and communism... hehe. :a-ok:

So you are saying that state capitalism is superior to free markets?

---------- Post added 03-27-2010 at 12:30 AM ----------

No shareholders have to be paid, etc. All those were the reasons why communism was supposed to make society richer than under capitalism.
Actually my question to all of you is this: Why would communism work on health care?

Why do you keep calling it communism? Its principles are economic with social benefits. Its not why it would work, it is actually working in many countries, to everyone's advantage. Your system is obviously not working...IS IT?

---------- Post added 03-27-2010 at 05:22 AM ----------

cruise95;144348 wrote:
Funny...this is exactly the same reason why everyone should be good looking. I'm half way kidding on this one...but half way serious too. I would much rather buy a beer from a hot barbie than any other. If you look good, then you feel good. There are many people that are less efficient or depressed because of their looks. Should we also offer government subsidized face lifts, tummy tucks, and plastic surgery.

You have lost me on this one, what point are you attempting to make?
Rwa001

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 07:38 am
@xris,
Personally I'm not arguing against socialized healthcare. But you're clearly taking too simplistic a view on this particular healthcare bill. We're not in the same economic position as the UK, we don't have the same social environment as the UK. Our proposed version of healthcare is different than your healthcare system. Saying that it works for you is moot. You'd have to show to me why THIS particular bill will work in THIS particular situation. And I'm not convinced it will. That's the issue that most Americans are facing.
Dave Allen

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 08:22 am
@cruise95,
cruise95;144348 wrote:
Funny...this is exactly the same reason why everyone should be good looking.

No it isn't.

Homely looking people aren't less or more productive than good looking ones.

What's cheaper or more effective about good looking people?

Did you just type out the first thing that popped into your head?
Quote:
There are many people that are less efficient or depressed because of their looks. Should we also offer government subsidized face lifts, tummy tucks, and plastic surgery.

In the UK the NHS does offer such things, but there would have to be an underlying health benefit to them rather than simple vanity.

But yes, in extreme cases cosmetic surgery has been offred on the NHS, and has turned people who would have otherwise not wanted to contribute to society into people who can.
Quote:
Hilarious.

No hold on, what a total berk are you? Grow the Hell up you adolescent prat.
0 Replies

xris

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 08:58 am
@Rwa001,
Rwa001;144565 wrote:
Personally I'm not arguing against socialized healthcare. But you're clearly taking too simplistic a view on this particular healthcare bill. We're not in the same economic position as the UK, we don't have the same social environment as the UK. Our proposed version of healthcare is different than your healthcare system. Saying that it works for you is moot. You'd have to show to me why THIS particular bill will work in THIS particular situation. And I'm not convinced it will. That's the issue that most Americans are facing.
I have no idea , it appears half cooked because of your inbuilt reticence to consider helping the less fortunate, for fear of becoming a damned red. Because he had to make so many concessions, it has become its own worse enemy. Too much opposition from self interested companies has turned revolution into a whimpering dog.
Dave Allen

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 09:16 am
@xris,
xris;144594 wrote:
I have no idea , it appears half cooked because of your inbuilt reticence to consider helping the less fortunate, for fear of becoming a damned red. Because he had to make so many concessions, it has become its own worse enemy. Too much opposition from self interested companies has turned revolution into a whimpering dog.

I think his worst mistake this past year is to continue to pursue bipartisanship.

He should have realised the right just pays lip service to the concept, and weren't willing to actually try it.

It was naive of him. Now that he's out of it we are seeing some geuine revolutions, standing up to Israel, reducing nuclear arsenals and getting Russia to do likewise, etc...
xris

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 09:40 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;144598 wrote:
I think his worst mistake this past year is to continue to pursue bipartisanship.

He should have realised the right just pays lip service to the concept, and weren't willing to actually try it.

It was naive of him. Now that he's out of it we are seeing some geuine revolutions, standing up to Israel, reducing nuclear arsenals and getting Russia to do likewise, etc...
The Americans cant tell a good guy from a bandit. Tax them on tea bags, it might give them reason to revolt.

He is earning his peace prize now.
0 Replies

salima

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 09:52 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;144598 wrote:

for real? hot damn! and i had just about given up hope. Very Happy

---------- Post added 03-27-2010 at 09:25 PM ----------

xris;144603 wrote:
The Americans cant tell a good guy from a bandit. Tax them on tea bags, it might give them reason to revolt.

He is earning his peace prize now.

i dont think they drink tea...tax them on starbucks. and besides, i thought everyone in the world sees america as revolting:lol:
0 Replies

Rwa001

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 12:09 pm
@BrightNoon,
Wow, it's pretty sweet to judge every single American based on some ridiculous caricature you've developed.
xris

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 12:28 pm
@Rwa001,
Rwa001;144673 wrote:
Wow, it's pretty sweet to judge every single American based on some ridiculous caricature you've developed.
Its been developed from the posts that we see exhibited here. Im not saying all Americans but the vast majority of you are still frightened of the red menace, that inhabits your psyche. I never hear the fear expressed by any other than Americans, about the dangers of social consideration of others less fortunate than them." What will cost me" , not what I might achieve by my helping my fellow Americans. Even when it might help you, the dangers of social reform scare the ship out of you. Here, on this forum, I'm classified as a true red communist in my own community, Im a social democrat. In general Americans are further right than any other nation I can think of. Most Europeans see republican politics as extreme, insular and uncompromising, you even frighten our right wing politicians.
Rwa001

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 01:28 pm
@xris,
Quote:
Its been developed from the posts that we see exhibited here. Im not saying all Americans but the vast majority of you are still frightened of the red menace, that inhabits your psyche. I never hear the fear expressed by any other than Americans, about the dangers of social consideration of others less fortunate than them." What will cost me" , not what I might achieve by my helping my fellow Americans. Even when it might help you, the dangers of social reform scare the ship out of you. Here, on this forum, I'm classified as a true red communist in my own community, Im a social democrat. In general Americans are further right than any other nation I can think of. Most Europeans see republican politics as extreme, insular and uncompromising, you even frighten our right wing politicians.

This is such an oversimplification of American politics, not to mention that politics aren't just right and left. The part that inhabits our psyche is SMALL government. Our economy is in a world of hurt right now. Saying that we're not interested in helping people poorer than us because of the bottom-line effect it will have on our personal wallets is ridiculous. We're worried about the potentially devastating effects current social reform could have on an already ailing economy.

It's impossible to foresee the consequences of our economy getting any worse, but I can promise that the standard of living would fall dramatically for those who already can't afford healthcare. It's just not as simple as people independent of the issue would like to think it is. We aren't uncaring monsters, we just realize that you don't try to juggle with one-sixth of your economy when you're already in trouble. Tell me, in what world made of unicorn and rainbows does that make sense?

Unemployment is the number one problem in America right now, not health care. Companies have already projected their bottom-dollar losses from the new healthcare bill. That loss is going to be rectified with cuts to personnel. But hey, at least when we're all unemployed we'll still have healthcare, right?

Economic reform should have proceeded social reform. Your ability to take care of your citizens rests entirely upon your ability to pay for it.
0 Replies