Health Insurance versus Health Care

Krumple

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 10:34 am
@BrightNoon,
I have a solution but the government would hate it. Consumers would benefit greatly from my idea, but very few people agree with it.

First, remove all patent laws.
They hinder technological growth. Companies sit on patents to maximize their profit allowing slow distribution before introducing newer technology. If you remove the patent laws, companies would not be allowed to trickle out technology because competitors would pop up and force the technology onto the market. This is good for consumers.

Second reduce (or eliminate all together) licensing or certificate requirements.
These requirements do no good for quality and are nothing other than a form of taxation for the government. They in no way determine if a person is qualified to do their job, it only states that they completed some course or test but in no way does it actually make them qualified. When you require licensing it allows for a choke in the market place for certain services like repair technicians on medical equipment. What happens is there are only a few qualified technicians to fix the equipment and so they charge huge amounts to repair these devices. Since only a handful of people are allowed to qualify for these positions it increases the overhead of operating hospitals. This is a failure of government.

Third reinstate government responsibly to uphold contracts.
What this means is, you can't sue a doctor if you sign a contract with that doctor. If you try to take a doctor to court and you signed the contract then you shouldn't be allowed to win no matter what the circumstances. You signed, you are responsible. However; I know people hate contracts so people should be allowed the time to digest a contract fully with no hidden portions and give the proper time to understand it completely. This will reduce doctor salaries because doctors will feel more secure with treating patients. Doctors impose high salary in case they are sued. Under this type of policy doctors wouldn't need to charge high salary. If you don't like the doctors policy go to someone else, as simple as that.

Fourth, bring back a competitive market.
The medical industry is so closed up competitively that patients don't have alternitives. This is horrible for consumers. Its like going to the store and seeing one brand on the shelf for everything in there. Who would ever accept that? No one ever accepts that so why should we accept one brand medical care? It is insane but no one wants to admit the government has been convinced by lobbyists, that this is the better system. One choice is never the right choice.
0 Replies

EmperorNero

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 10:36 am
@richrf,
richrf;91287 wrote:
but where it all ends, I have no idea.

We will all get eaten alive by giant killer bees.

http://www.totallyabsurd.com/killer%20bee.GIF
richrf

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 10:40 am
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero;91290 wrote:
We will all get eaten alive by giant killer bees.

Could be. More than likely, we will all be working much more than we thought we might have had to in order to make a living for ourselves and our families.

Rich

---------- Post added 09-18-2009 at 11:45 AM ----------

Krumple;91288 wrote:
I have a solution but the government would hate it. Consumers would benefit greatly from my idea, but very few people agree with it.

There is only one practical solution and that is for people to begin to go to the doctors less and learn how to take care of themselves. And the only way they will start doing this is if they have no choice. Many companies are now raising deductibles to $5000 and more. People will adjust. It does mean less money for pharmaceuticals and the medical industry and then things will start contracting.

Rich
Aedes

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 10:52 am
@Krumple,
Krumple;91177 wrote:
Well smoking has been attributed to suppressing hunger. It is possible where there are more smokers that obesity could be lower.
Obesity rates in Europe are not low. They're lower than in the United States, but they've got their own epidemic. Smoking is the only cause of preventable death that is statistically MORE important than obesity. There are a lot of variables besides health care and public health, I mean the diet in Mediterranean Europe is rich in polyunsaturated fats and this is likely protective, independent of smoking and obesity.

But when it comes down to it, despite obesity, smoking, and alcoholism problems, there are almost no measures by which European populations are sicker than in the United States, and the cost per patient (as a proportion of GDP) is FAR lower than in the United States.

Krumple;91177 wrote:
Yes I know, but it is a bad indicator. They use it because it suits their needs. It is not accurate for determining health care.
Then why do life expectancy and child mortality invariably improve when health care delivery improves?

Krumple;91177 wrote:
I even object to how we view health care in the west. Most practitioners are reactionary to disease management. Rather than using preventive medicine or practices for health. Doctors are not in the business of creating healthy society, they seem to be in the business of selling you disease management medicine.
I think that's completely baseless, but what do I know, it's not like I do it for a living.

People come to doctors with complaints, which are often a sign of an underlying disease. So then you're stuck, you deal with what a patient has come in with. For doctors to "create a healthy society" requires that patients actually go and see them when they're well.

But I've posted elsewhere here the amount of training, funding, research, guidelines, and practice parameters devoted to preventive medicine. I do it myself (though not with general population patients). I have a pediatric and adolescent HIV clinic and diet and exercise management, psychosocial wellness, and prevention of HIV transmission are the core things we do every visit. I also do pediatric and family travel medicine, and this is exclusively devoted to preventing illness.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 10:53 am
@richrf,
richrf;91293 wrote:
There is only one practical solution and that is for people to begin to go to the doctors less and learn how to take care of themselves.

Although I agree with you, it might be practical but it is far from realistic. People only accept what you give them. With fast food chains everywhere and misinformation on dietary practices it inevitably leads to health problems.

When was the last time you saw your local produce stand paying for advertisement space on your favorite tv show? Never. But McDonalds is more than willing to.

If you feed the people crap, they will eat like crap. That is the reality. The only way to stop this behavior is to stop feeding people crap.

richrf;91293 wrote:
For doctors to "create a healthy society" requires that patients actually go and see them when they're well.

Exactly! There are several ways to do this. Give people proper information. Long ago in china, you paid your doctor to maintain your health. If you got sick, you paid the doctor less! Because it was the doctors job to maintain your health. If you got sick it was a failure on the doctors part. This is the proper incentive for a healthy society. The doctor wanting to maintain their profit would want to make sure the people were doing healthy things.
Khethil

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 10:55 am
@richrf,
richrf;91287 wrote:
I don't think any imposed answer to the health care issue will work. People just have to learn to take better care of themselves and I think they will once they can no longer afford to visit physicians whenever they feel like it...

There's a lot of evidence to support this. Just gleaning through various reports on the web most report billions and billions could be saved through changes in lifestyle (particularly destructive eating habits and tobacco). I wish they would - I wish we all would eat right, exercise, get enough fiber and Vitamin-B, etc. I wish...

... unfortunately, part of the whole package we're confronted with is part-and-parcel to the healthcare crisis at large: The For Profit Culture. Every substance that can be made more attractive will be to entice consumers to buy. Consumers want thrills, cheap and otherwise, not necessarily what's good for them. Is there any disputing this?

So the food, entertainment and sin-industries produce the most mouth-watering, brightly packaged, commercial-blitzkrieg products they can - to stay in business and turn a profit. Who loses? The Consumer. Let's face it: People don't always do what's healthy. I wish they would, but they don't.[INDENT]So while I'm with you, Rich; preventable conditions DO play a large part here, to this I'd offer: 1) They don't account for the entire problem -and- 2) As long as our entire society is based on for-profit, what is best for us isn't going to sell, no matter what we wish.
[/INDENT]No, I don't have the answers either. And despite all our postulating I think it a very worth endeavor to discuss at the philosophical level.

Thanks
0 Replies

BrightNoon

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 10:58 am
@Khethil,
Khethil;91270 wrote:
Brightnoon,

I don't quite know what to tell you; I've seen this argument go round and round with the same pitisome arguments; all which go nowhere. We stand on these ideals - all of us - and pit one against the other. I won't engage in the silliness; this is a philosophy forum, so let's keep it on the philosophical level.

I believe my original post adressed such substantive issues in an attempt to explain the unreasnably high cost of health care, and thus, based on that explanation, make an argument against more insurance, especially publicly funded, state operated, insurance. What specifically is silly about it? Are my statements silly because they do not correspond to what you believe?

Quote:
I think it speaks of our inability to come to grow, it reflects our dissatisfaction and displaces angst and inner mirth towards people and ideas not the true source of our dissatisfaction; it also creates an 'enemy': those people who want something for nothing. Does it need to be illustrated how flawed this is?

Again, who said anything about the people receiving subsidized health care? When did I express any anger with them? I am dissatisified, but not with those people; I don't blame them in the least for wanting something for nothing. Who doesn't? I am dissatisifed with the public policy which provides for such desires. I don't blame the welfare recipient, I blame the welfare state. And I want to abolish the welfare state. You seem to be attempting to make any opposition to socialized health care sound like its based on emotion and prejudice, and thus that its irrational and can be dismissed as such. Why? Where in anything I've said have I appealed to any emotions or prejudices? If you believe that all opposition to statism is based on irrationality, but that all support for statism is perfectly reasonable and principled, then you Sir are the one with the prejudice. both there are unreasonable, unthinking people on both sides of the argument, as there are reasonable thinking people on both sides. Don't you see the irony in founding your argument against the opposition on the claim that they make emotional appeals rarther than arguments? Though I'm sure you have some arguments, thus far you have been making emotional appeals exclusively.

Quote:
Most of what you responded with appears to be just an expression of angst against someone who seems to not share your view; which is understandable.

I believe that angst is otherwise known as disagreement.

Quote:
Yet it fails to address the philosophical issues I brought up: Healthcare for profit is a bad idea -and- That much of the opposition to installing basic healthcare for all citizens comes from inner disatisfaction/disillusionment and manifest by the incessent bray of "It's not fair!!".

Firstly, where is 'the incessant bray of "It's not fair!"?' Who has said that other than you? Secondly, merely stating that health care for profit is a bad idea is not an argument. It is a statement. If that is the sort of discoure you desire, I would simply respond with, no it isn't. That's absurd. You've made your claim, now provide arguments to justify it. Thirdly, I've already adressed your mischaracterization fo the opposition. Again, no doubt there are people whose motives are as you described. I am not such a person. So what is your point? You cannot discount a principled argument against socialized health care on the ground that other people who oppose socialized health care do so for non-principled reasons. Otherwise, I could say that much of the support for healthcare comes from unthinking people who simply like the idea of cheaper healthcare, and have no further logic behind their support, and that therefore, because you too support it, you have no further logic. Again, make your argument or we can only assume that you haven't got one. And I'm sure you do, you'd just rather make ad hominem attacks at the moment.

Quote:
Government is too big - but if government is going to do anything that's worthy of my tax dollars, I'd think keeping us all alive is something I'll willingly contribute. If this is at all important - at all worthy of our hard earned dollars - then perhaps some of the other crapola we're spending it on should go.

I disagree. In breif my opinion is that, 1) the purpose of the state is to prevent the violation of individual rights, not to provide for the general welfare, 2) that besides being inappropriate by that principle, universal health care is dangerous, in that it grants government tremendous potential authority over the minutia of personal life (eating habits e.g.), and 3) regardless of any other, subective argument, universal health care is not feasable in the U.S. because of the cost.

Quote:
Let's not wallow in arrogant supposition. My view primarily consists of those I stated a few posts ago and are underlined above. I think it's important - I think it's high-time and I think we need to let go of calling "lazy" those who can't afford medical care because of this greed-saturated culture we've built;

Again, your words. I never once called anyone lazy. What you are doing is called the straw man argument. It is intellectually dishonest.

Quote:
there are many situations that perpetuate millions of personal financial crisis, every day, because someone thought it was a "good idea" that medical attention was OK to be a For-Profit endeavor.

And, per the principle I briefly stated above, those private misfortunes are just that: private. It is not the responsibility of society to provide for such unfortunate people. Now, I have to aks the obvious question. If for-profit health care is a bad idea simply because it's for-profit, what about for-profit manufacturing, or shipping, or energy generation, or retail, or any other sector? If state operated healthcare is neccessarily better for the people because no profits are extracted, and the purpose of society is to provide for the common good, why shouldn't all enterprises be operated by the state? If you would, explain to us why health care should be public, but manufacturing e.g. should not be.
richrf

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 10:58 am
@Krumple,
Krumple;91296 wrote:
Although I agree with you, it might be practical but it is far from realistic. People only accept what you give them. With fast food chains everywhere and misinformation on dietary practices it inevitably leads to health problems.

When was the last time you saw your local produce stand paying for advertisement space on your favorite tv show? Never. But McDonalds is more than willing to.

If you feed the people crap, they will eat like crap. That is the reality. The only way to stop this behavior is to stop feeding people crap.

I think people will (do) have much less money for fast food going forward, as well as other indulgences such as getting orthodontics for their teeth and plastic surgery for the faces. It will all contract naturally because we will no longer be able to borrow money to do it. Already, credit is being drastically eliminated across the board for all consumers. Why? Because they aren't paying their debts because they cannot produce enough wealth to pay back their debts and therefore are going bankrupt at record rates. This will continue for a long time.

Rich
Caroline

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 11:32 am
@richrf,
richrf;91303 wrote:
I think people will (do) have much less money for fast food going forward, as well as other indulgences such as getting orthodontics for their teeth and plastic surgery for the faces. It will all contract naturally because we will no longer be able to borrow money to do it. Already, credit is being drastically eliminated across the board for all consumers. Why? Because they aren't and can not produce enough wealth to pay back their debts and they are going bankrupt at record rates. This will continue for a long time.

Rich

Who wants fast food? It's junk anyway, gives you spots and heart failure and teeth, yeah it would be nice to have a better health care sytem to keep teeth in ones head but appealing to vanity is well, getting you know where, isn't it Rich! There's enough money to go round, hell we invented it and only as a way of barter, do you actully read the history books Rich?
richrf

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 12:30 pm
@Caroline,
Caroline;91310 wrote:
There's enough money to go round, hell we invented it and only as a way of barter, do you actully read the history books Rich?

I am a very avid student of history and economics.

Paper money cannot grow faster than wealth, otherwise you have a devaluation of paper money which leads to less buying power. Everyone on fixed income is experiencing that today in the form of less interest for the money and being able to purchase much less as a result.

There is no where near enough wealth in this country to spend as much as we have been spending. Foreign countries have been lending us hundreds of trillions of dollars so that we keep spending, with the expectation that we will pay back our debts. And you know what happened? We defaulted by the hundreds of billions. That is what happened. We are defaulting on home mortgages, credit cards, revolving loans such as auto loans, personal debts, by the hundreds of billions because we cannot pay back our debts.

Now, as a result, the whole economy is contracting because no one wants to lend to deadbeats who cannot pay back their debts and have no capacity to create future wealth to pay back their debts. So, as a consequence, people and companies will simply have to spend much, much less for many, many years to come. Maybe this is permanent.

Physicians will not treat people who cannot pay for their services and people will not go to their doctors if they do not have the money (high deductibles are becoming more and more common). As a result, a general contraction in the sick care industry is inevitable.

Rich
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 12:39 pm
@BrightNoon,
Yeah I know it devaluates! But I'm not an economist, do we have any here?

---------- Post added 09-18-2009 at 01:41 PM ----------

I'm sorry Richrf bit I didn't realise you were an economist, I do beg your pardon.
richrf

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 12:47 pm
@Caroline,
Caroline;91346 wrote:

Well, oil that is denominate in dollars has gone from just under $45 a few months ago to over $70. Gold, has broken $1000.

However, inflation is not simply a matter of more money being printed. It is also a function of velocity of money. Since, consumers are simply not buying nearly as much as they use to, overall inflation (cost of locally produced goods and services) has been kept in check. But this also means that our economy continues to muddle along and job layoffs continue. This cycle has to be broken which is why we are having massive government spending.

However, further spending in sick care (which this thread is all about) can only come at the cost of forcing people to purchase insurance that either they do not want or cannot afford. This is the guts of the Democratic proposal. On top of that, they want to tax insurance companies (which will be passed on to companies and consumers) as well as higher taxes on wealthier people.

Overall, the proposal will cost another trillion dollars that we do not have to spend which is why it will not pass. As a country we are more than broke. We spent the whole enchilada and no one wants to lend us any money any more. So we just print it as long as we can.

Rich
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 12:52 pm
@BrightNoon,
Yeah good point about oil and dollars rich but its all in the control of man, isn't it? And we all know that there are much healthier ways of finding fuel, isn't there?

---------- Post added 09-18-2009 at 01:53 PM ----------

You all just gotta give a little in order to get back something for yourselves.
Thanks.
richrf

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 01:07 pm
@Caroline,
Caroline;91357 wrote:
Yeah good point about oil and dollars rich but its all in the control of man, isn't it? And we all know that there are much healthier ways of finding fuel, isn't there?

It is not just oil and gold however. The dollar is now trading at new lows versus other world currencies. That basically means it costs much more to purchase imports and since we are a trade deficit nation, everything becomes more expensive.

Yes, there may be ways to cut fuel costs. So far, most alternatives cost more than oil. However, the surest way to cut fuel costs is to use less, which is what the U.S. is doing, since they simply can't afford it any more.

It is all quite natural though quite painful. Everyone will just learn to live with less - particularly sick care which represents close to 20% of our GDP. And absolutely absurd amount.

Rich
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 01:14 pm
@BrightNoon,
I told yer rich, im not an economist, are you?
Thanks.
richrf

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 01:25 pm
@Caroline,
Caroline;91378 wrote:
I told yer rich, im not an economist, are you?
Thanks.

I've studied it all my life. No economist will disagree with any of what I have said, though there is lots of disagreement on how to get out of this.

I have a question for you though. Have you been assigned the duty of attack dog on me and others? If so, I have no need of it. Justin can simply PM me to get off the forum and I will oblige.

Rich
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 01:45 pm
@BrightNoon,
Im sorry, dog? What do you mean? Please explain and I'm sorry i didn't know you had a degree in economics, you say you studied? I do beg your pardon.
0 Replies

BrightNoon

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 01:57 pm
@Caroline,
Caroline;91346 wrote:

---------- Post added 09-18-2009 at 01:41 PM ----------

I'm sorry Richrf bit I didn't realise you were an economist, I do beg your pardon.

One does not need to be a trained economist to understand that as the supply of money increases, while the quantity of goods and services remains the same or contracts, the value of each individual unit of money decreases. It is nearly impossible to identify currency depriciation in the very short term, as there are many factors affecting price at any given moment. However, in the long term, the trend is clear. In the last nine years, as of today, the dollar has fallen 34% against the other major fiat currencies, while the price of gold in dollars has increased 370%. So yes, we have devaluation.
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 02:20 pm
@BrightNoon,
But I believe one has to be highly trained to make any formal judgement.
BrightNoon

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 02:24 pm
@Caroline,
I don't know what you mean by 'formal judgment.' The data regarding dollar exchange rates over time and the data regarding gold prices is available to anyone with a computer. I spent about one minute finding the data and doing two simple calculations to find the percentages. No expertise required. I invite you to look for yourself.

Historical Gold Charts and Data - London Fix

US Dollar Index
0 Replies