Alien life? -- your take on the subject

Setanta

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 02:48 pm
In that case, I testify that Steven Greer, and all who conspire with him in the Disclosure Project, are certifiably loony, and liars to boot. Testimony, ipso facto, sozyeroldman, physical evidence that you are wrong, wrong, wrong.

God, you do provide wonderful comic relief.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 02:54 pm
wolf wrote:
And the unexplained experiences?

Damn, Wolf; I suspect you could trip and stumble over a barn in broad daylight. The keyword there is, was, and remains "UNEXPLAINED".
0 Replies

skeptic

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 02:56 pm
the Poll
I think the poll that lingers at the beginning of this forum might be slightly flawed. There should be a choice such as
"I feel its POSSIBLE there may be intelligent beings out there, but there is no real evidence for them"
I bet alot of people who felt forced to choose "there is life, but not intelligent" or "there IS intelligent life, maybe its trying to contact us" would have actually chosen this other response.
Greg
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 02:57 pm
Which is why i didn't vote, and usually don't vote in such polls. Like the polls of which politicians are so fond, the ones you find at discussion boards are usually heavily weighted toward a conclusion.
0 Replies

wolf

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 02:59 pm
And, tk, if our colleagues in the military are so courageous to come out with what they have witnessed, again, do you trust what they have to say, or not?

And if no, why not?

And again, would you trust them if you knew them personally, if they were your close friends?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 03:09 pm
Some are close freinds, partner. Doesn't matter much, by accepted evidentiary proceedure. Why, for instance, should we assume only I was ever fooled by a flashlight? That in itself would be a preposterous supposition. I might add, BTW, that all else being equal, it is typical for complete and unwavering trust to be shared by wingmen. A lot depends on that ... like waking up the next morning.

And welcome aboard, there skeptic ... holler if ya'd like any bhelp with the bells and whistles around here. Hope ya enjoy yerself, and visit often.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 03:13 pm
"trip the light fandango"
0 Replies

wolf

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 03:22 pm
Quote:
Some are close freinds, partner. Doesn't matter much, by accepted evidentiary proceedure.

Beautiful worldview. You wouldn't trust your own mother by those standards.

Numerous of these courageous pilots, I repeat, say ufos are extaterrestrial. Either your brain isn't cognitively up to it to believe them, or you know they speak the truth, but despise the value of their words' consequences.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 03:30 pm
False dichotomy there, Wolf. That you may perceive such to be the case does not alter the fact it is not the case. No matter how often you state the case, or drag annecdote up as substitute for evidence. Neither practice will wash. Oh, and as for Mom, rest her soul, the only times I ever doubted her were those times she was clearly at odds with the evidence at hand ... something she exceedingly rarely fell to.
0 Replies

wolf

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 03:41 pm
This is how far we have pushed the absurdity.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 03:55 pm
truth
If all my close friends reported to me that they saw in the skies what appeared to be a phenomenon consistent with what we would expect an alien craft to look like, I would not question their sincerity; I might question the validity of their interpretation of their observations. I would not argue that they were wrong, only that--that in the absence of tangible evidence--they were unconvincing.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 03:57 pm
wolf wrote:
This is how far we have pushed the absurdity.

Yeah, some see that. When will you get with the program?
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 03:58 pm
"we" have not been pushing "absurdity" - only you!

Then again, it is absurd to think you can fathom this, so be it.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 10:31 pm
Re: the Poll
skeptic wrote:
I think the poll that lingers at the beginning of this forum might be slightly flawed. There should be a choice such as
"I feel its POSSIBLE there may be intelligent beings out there, but there is no real evidence for them"
I bet alot of people who felt forced to choose "there is life, but not intelligent" or "there IS intelligent life, maybe its trying to contact us" would have actually chosen this other response.
Greg

Thanks for the suggestion, Greg. In fact I'll add it now (near the beginning I asked people to list options that weren't included), though the numbers for it will of course be much lower than if it'd been there all along.

At any rate, the intention was never to weigh this toward a conclusion. The 'I have no strong opinion on this' option could be applied, perhaps. And Wolf's twisting of the so-far majority vote to mean that most people here think aliens HAVE already contacted earth is silly.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 10:38 pm
OK it seems the ability to edit/add to polls has been removed (for obvious good reasons). Well, how about option 5? Mr. Green
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 01:18 am
If you want somethin' moved around, taken off, or added to the Poll shelf, Monger, just lemme know. I'm tall enough to reach up there.
0 Replies

skeptic

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 01:43 am
the poll
Thanks for considering adding the extra choice in the poll. However, I think the only way to obtain any kind of accurate data would be to add the extra choice and then set all the answers to zero. Otherwise it will be pointless.
Greg
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 01:44 am
Thanks timber. Actually, the thingy is, I'm personally of the persuasion that there's no evidence of aliens (back when I posted this thread I didn't expect much talk of UFOs), so I didn't really want choices like "I think there's a possibility..." as I figured they're all guesses anyway. My biggest question was wether members imagine there's no life off earth, only bacteria-type life, or other more intelligent life. So anyway yeah I like what you added ("None of the options reflects my opinion") better.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 01:51 am
skeptic wrote:
I think the only way to obtain any kind of accurate data would be to add the extra choice and then set all the answers to zero

well it won't obtain accurate data no matter what and can at best be seen as pointless but fun, so since it's been up a long time & prolly some people who voted won't see it again I think it'd be better not to reset it
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 02:43 am
I wanna vote again! I wanna vote again! (Just bein' awkward - don't take any notice....)
0 Replies