Alien life? -- your take on the subject

JLNobody

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 05:42 pm
aliens
R2D2, who else?
0 Replies

Tex-Star

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2002 08:18 pm
Should all planets with life on them be rated from grades 1-12, earth may well fit in at about 3rd grade. Isn't that why no one out there is trying to get in touch with us?

These people, or things, or doughboys or bugs may feel we have absolutely nothing to contribute to their life. How really insulting. Yes, I also think we are arrogant thinking we are the ONLY beings alive in the universe. As it stands, someone out there may think we are so dangerous that we're not worth having around. Blowing each other up with bombs, and all, when a problem isn't even obvious.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2002 08:38 pm
tex-star, You've been reading too many science fiction. The "real" truth of the matter is we don't know. c.i.
0 Replies

Slimmerson

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 09:43 am
If you let you imagination run wild for a minute you may come up with many variations. Our whole universe may be contained in a drop of water or air bubble that is falling through the air in a greater universe. Our whole creation from start to finish could be the duration of time it takes for the drop to fall from it source and splatter on its destination. We really have no idea what is beyond our idea of this universe.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 09:53 am
I don't think its very productive to speculate on the what if or what might be.

There is enough awe and wonder in studying what as far as we know IS, without the need to wonder if we are living on the surface of one atom of a larger universe, one of an infinite series of universes, or as someone suggested the other day on ***** (sorry to mention Abuzz, damn it done it again) that we are living inside a black hole.
0 Replies

Tex-Star

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 10:43 am
c.i., we don't know? No joke! Also, nobody knows either what someone else may know. That's why we ask questions here. Why so serious?!!!
0 Replies

Tex-Star

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 10:46 am
I haven't read a science fiction book since the Doone series by Frank (I think his last name is Hubert) in the 1970s. It was required reading for a college communication class. Somebody took those books seriously.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 10:55 am
Tex, Too serious? Sorry, guy. Didn't mean to upset the apple cart on such a speculative subject. I think Steve has the right idea: Why speculate, when we still don't the know the meaning of "IS." c.i.
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 12:07 pm
I REALLY do wish I knew. I would be excited
to learn of such a possibility. On the other
hand - since we, of one small planet, can barely
get along with one another as it is....imagine
what it would be like if you added another life
form? We humans are NOT the most generous
and accepting of "differences" - we still argue
and fight about religions, about governments,
about who has what rights? How long were
the African American people here in this
country being treated as "less than" purely
for their "differentness" and , frankly OUR
SMUG SENSE OF SUPERIORITY. How do we
DARE to go to another country, say India
that is 98% Hindu .... and attempt to convert
people to Christianity. Would YOU appreciate
a Buddhist coming to YOUR DOOR and trying
to SHOW YOU THE WAY TO ENLIGHTENMENT.
How pompous and ridiculous!!! IF I WAS AN
ALIEN, I WOULD TAKE ONE GLANCE AT THIS
SOCIETY AND SAY "BEAM ME UP FAST,
SCOTTY!"
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 12:13 pm
babs, It won't be Scotty beaming you up. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 12:24 pm
Interesting that most people assume alien intelligences will be vastly superiour to us, not only in technology, but also morally.

The only experience of life we know about is on earth. Ok we are pretty beastly to each other, but the beasts are even more beastly. We might find it upsetting that the cheetah looks on the baby impala as a tasty little snackette, but we accept it is the "natural order of things". We don't try to convert the big cats to vegetarianism.

So why should we believe an alien life form visiting earth would regard us as anything more than just another life form. Do we expect them to tell us how to live as humans, to benefit from their superior experience? Or might we be just a resource for them to use for their benefit? Or indeed a tasty little snack?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 01:27 pm
Steve, I've thought about the idea of "natural order of things" for some years now, and wonder if the inhuman behavior of humans is part of that truism. If we look at physical/mother nature, thousands, if not millions, are killed in one stroke. Why should humans be any different, except for the fact that society tries to dictate human behavior? c.i.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 06:09 pm
good point ci

the short answer is i dont know

but something tells me we are in fact in some indescribable way different from animals.

so perhaps aliens will be different from us. Well happy Xmas, had a beer, g'night...see you in Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese perhaps

(Cheshire is where I originate from, but I am not dairy produce)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 06:23 pm
Steve, Look forward to that day when we can share some at Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese. I'm due for another visit to the UK, and maybe 2003 will be a good a time as any. c.i.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 06:37 pm
just let me know when!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 06:42 pm
Steve, Now that the world has your email address, we can get a small bunch crowded in, and make it a party. Recorded your email address, and will definitely let you know when. c.i.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 06:55 pm
oh dear
0 Replies

Tex-Star

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 05:39 pm
c.i., hey, watch out who you're guessing is a "guy."

Is someone here doing anything but speculating? Is that frightening, or something?

Speculation: An opinion based on contemplation of a profound nature.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 05:43 pm
http://www.pithemovie.com/spiranim.gif
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 05:48 pm
Tex, I don't discriminate who I drink with. Wink c.i.
0 Replies