Alien life? -- your take on the subject

jespah

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 07:18 pm
Golly, I'm a dolling Embarrassed
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 01:47 pm
Maybe, Contact Is Impossible...
OK, since the Universe is endless, the probability of existence of self-regulating forms of material existence on the other planets differs from zero. Self-regulation may stay in borders of unintelligent homeostasis (like in any primitive animal), but it can lead to some forms of intelligence.
But there may be millions of reasons of absence of contact with these forms of life:
1. Their information transfer media may be very different from ours (for example, we perceive electromagnetic waves in wavelengths range 350-700 nm as a visible light; if the visible light of "aliens" is, for example, in range 150-1,000 m, then we should be merely invisible for them, being in their perception absolutely transparent). Besides this, they may use other physical phenomena for information transfer (for example, electric charge of the ionized atoms, or polarization parameters of electromagnetic radiation), and these are meaningless for us, just as our ways are meaningless for them. From another side, they may have semantic principles that have nothing in common with ours, this making any translation from "Alienish" into English an impossible mission (all the human languages have more or less similar principles of semantics, differing from each other by vocabulary, grammar, alphabet, etc.).
2. They may be located so far from us that a simple dialogue like "How are you? OK, thank you" may take several million years. Let us put aside all the curvatures of space being exploited by science fiction authors; creation and usage of "wormhole" may require more energy can be obtained from all the energy rich natural resources of the Earth (including deuterium of water as a possible fuel for some thermonuclear machines/bombs).
Besides this, the outer space civilization may be quite self-sufficient and not interested in any contacts with anyone.
3. The "aliens" may be on the development stage that does not enable them even to perform orbital flights, put aside trans-galactic ones (the same refers to their telecommunication abilities). Maybe, space exploration is not on their list of priorities, neither is development of telephony/radio/lasers.
These are only few of the reasons making me very skeptical toward all these stories about flying saucers, jet propulsion mugs and supersonic cutlery Laughing . But, from other side, there are no reasons to deny possibility of the aliens' existence. Fundamental physical laws are the same anywhere in the universe, and if our existence is possible under these conditions, theirs may be possible as well.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 02:11 pm
A whole universe with no other life? Pshaw! How unlikely is that!

Will we ever know for sure? I hope so - but logistics do, indeed, make it difficult....
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 02:38 pm
FYI
will try and fix this later
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 03:01 pm
The posibility of life elsewhere in the universe borders on probability trending toward certainty. In such regard, it may be said only that our own abilities and technologies have yet to provde us with recognizeable evidence of any extraterrestrial civilization. Factoring the vastness of space and its billions of galaxies with billions upon billions of stars yields the largest possible physical "sample Universe", one statistically capable of accommodating essentially limitless possibility. It is equally possible a planet very like ours, with life much the same as ours, exists in a solar system very like ours, yes, but it is more likely there would be an incredible diversity of life in the universe, perhaps much of it beyond anything our current development might enable us to notice.

We've been around since before the end of the last series of Ice Ages. In the last 5000 years, we developed agriculture and cities. A hundred years ago, powered atmospheric flight was a crackpot dream. Ten years ago, The Internet was a concept in-the-birthing.
In absolute terms, our tenure on this planet is dwarfed by the several billion years of geologic events which have brought us to this point, and dwarfed again several times over by the observeable age of the universe. There may be life nearby, there may not ... we have not recognized it as such yet, and we may or may not ever be able to do so. To suppose there would be life nowhere else but here is arrogance beyond comprehension, just as is assuming sentient life necessarily would use for communication means within our present grasp.

At present, we just "Don't Know". As has been said; "If there isn't life out there, it would be a helluva waste of space"

timber
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 03:15 pm
Given that the more we keep looking out the more of the building blocks for life we find, and we find more possible homes for life to inhabit, and given that the more we look in, we find life in the most unlikely sites on earth, I think the probability of extra terrestrial life is almost certain.

Our own origins might have an extra terrestrial source of course if you believe the panspermia ideas have merit.

The only puzzling thing is that if life is indeed commonplace, in the words of Enrico Fermi, "Where is everyone?"

I see no reason why we cannot make contact with other sentient beings eventually. It would be/is a truly awe-inspiring thing. (Would they want to help us or eat us. Would they understand irony any better than Americans?)

But the alternative, that we are truly alone and unique in the Universe, the only living things able to contemplate Its majesty is terrifying.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 05:18 pm
I think it was Carl Sagan who calculated how many planets in the universe would have developed life intelligent enough to create a technological civilization.
He calculated about 2 planets "per century". That is, there would be two planets with intelligent life living in the technological XVI Century, two planets living in the XVII Century, and so forth.
If Sagan is right, we have another planet living in the XXI Century, and perhaps dozens or hundreds more in a more advanced stage (if they didn't nuke themselves out).
Still, if we have a few hundreds of planets with intelligent life, there is the question of how far away they are, their method of communication and their willingness to communicate with us, if they have found us.
I don't think we have been found.
I don't think we'll find alien intelligent life in our lifetime.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 05:35 pm
One of my favorite movies is Contact. I have watched it many times I wish we could make contact but it seems unlikely.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 05:37 pm
another 2 cents- in order for any life form to develop there are minimal circumstances such as a stable sun with minimum cosmic radiation. that in itself limits the possible enviroments by a significant degree. Then when you add in the other conditions such as gasses, elements, temperatures you further limit the potential for life. Its not quite as simple as (there is a zillion stars with x number of planets ergo the odds are x)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 05:42 pm
As far as the subject of UFO's goes, i haven't the least doubt that many people have seen, or believe they have seen, objects which are flying, or which they believe are flying, and which they are then and subsequently unable to identify. Which is a far cry from saying aliens have visited this planet.

The possibility is certainly there, but as far as a dialogue goes, we are alone. Consider if you will the aboriginal people of New Guinea. Microwave transmissions pass back and forth above and through them every day and night, and they haven't the least notion that this is happening. It is entirely possible that the galaxy which we inhabit is inhabited by other sentient life-forms with advanced technology, and that they are, on the whole, quite chatty--but we simply can't detect them. Who knows--not i.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 11:41 pm
alien llife
It is statistically very likely that there is life elsewhere in the universe. When you think of it, the opportunities are virtually infinite. But it is very unlikely that there will be much that is "intelligent" in our sense of the word. And still unlikely that they will have evolved through an industrial age in which technology leads to notions of artificial flight and travel to other planets. All such possibilitiels seem like our projections. Consider our startrek fantasies wherein life forms across the galaxy have virtually the same culture as ours. They look different but they're bipeds with opposible thumbs, eyes in the front of their heads, language users. They even speak to each other like middle class Americans but in different languages. Ghastly distortion of the possibilities. BTW, I do believe in the existence of UFOs; I've even seen one--literally an unidentified flying object. I think it may have been a baloon, but I couldn't identify it for sure, so it was a UFO.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 10:49 am
Although I believe in the notion that there can be life outside our earth, most of us will remain skeptical until we personally (think) we see a UFO. The UFO that JLN saw may have been a balloon or a mirage. If I were to observe the same object as JLN, my skepticism would not change. c.i.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 03:04 pm
Image 1 worth a look
http://www.monotiq.com/f1.jpg
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 03:07 pm
2nd image woth a look
#2 work a look
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 03:30 pm
husker, Photos can always be changed to reflect anything flying. For example, they can show a cow flying. c.i.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 03:31 pm
Hey, that looks just a hat Lovey got when we were in Maine . . .
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 03:39 pm
C.I., you realize, of course, that by "UFO" I meant simply "an object in the sky that I am unable to identify." This has NOTHING to do with extraterrestial visitors, unless I choose to make that association. Husker's picture makes my point eloquently (a picture is work a thousand words). It is the image of an object that someone chose to "identify" as an alien (not a Mexican illegal immigrant desperatly trying to promote the survival of his family) space craft. And it was it was not.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 04:38 pm
normally I'm very skeptical of this kind of thing, however I do personally know the person that took these very well.
1. he's not capable - technically to fabricate these (there are about 6 more)
2. he's not the kind of person that would lie about this.
3. there were also physical after effects of the encounter
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 04:40 pm
If you do happen to notice in the second picture the red ball and also the other object are in a different location
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 05:32 pm
Who is that alien looking guy in the blue helmet bottom left?
0 Replies