Can an artist be creative enough to draw an alien race more beautiful than humans?

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 08:47 pm
I have been thinking if this is humanly possible. When I think beauty, I think of a beautiful face with a very nice body. Miss Universe, or some Victoria Secret models face, or some variation of all that. My question is can the human brain be able to surpass it's idea of what beauty is and create an image or an idea of what beauty, higher than that of a human (or human female), would look like?

JLNobody

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 09:29 pm
@carlosc2dbz,
Honestly, I cannot imagine transcending my own ( culturally and biologically constituted) standards of (female) beauty, but I can undergo "evolutionary" change when it comes to art. But aesthetics is not the same as sexuality.
JLNobody

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 09:33 pm
@JLNobody,
Is this Carlos Danger?
neologist

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 09:40 pm
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:
Is this Carlos Danger?
Yeah! What's your game?
0 Replies

carlosc2dbz

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 11:58 pm
@JLNobody,
Its not about sexuality, or maybe it is. I just think its crazy every time i see an alien, its a big headed grey thing without a nose small mouth and two black huge eyes. i dont think the an oranism should evolve in such a way that is unpleasing to the eye. Unless tjey are living in complete darkness, which i doubt.

I feel that this inability to create something, or draw something/ imagine something more beautiful than ourselves is a human limitation, which i cannot imagine any human doing. I also think that if it were done maybe that person would be more than human at that point. I fear that a black hole might open if a person does accomplish this. Lol
gungasnake

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 12:24 am
@carlosc2dbz,
Victoria Secret models look like refugees from Auschwitz.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 01:30 am
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Sure, there are some loose cultural norms but that's all they are --cultural standards. In the final analysis, it's whatever turns you (or me) on. And it could well be different for you than for me.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 01:45 am
@carlosc2dbz,
Your attitude is hopelessly naïve. As has already been suggested to you, standards of aesthetics are culturally based, so that what you think of as beautiful or attractive is not going to be reliably universal. That you are begging so many questions is what makes this hopeless. Humans didn't evolve to be "beautiful," rather, humans have arbitrarily defined as beautiful what we have evolved to be. To other warthogs, a warthog is probably the equivalent of beautiful, no matter how we may feel about the appearance of warthogs. In successful evolutionary development, form follows function. What appearance that will yield will be a product of the selection forces which act upon an organism. What we revere as beauty is the culmination, to date, of successful adaptation. That will necessarily be different in a species from any significantly different environment. Hell, the word beautiful is not even 500 years old, and you want to suggest that it has some timeless, universal meaning.
farmerman

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 02:37 am
@Setanta,
renderings of "beautiful aliens" was taken on successfully by Frank Frazetta in many of his stories and his fantasy art. He chose to have alien "women" (cause they were indeed women) look Rubenesque in his interpretation . He also painted women of the ancient world and "Paleo" stories look the same. He adopted and overemphasized western style beauty features and had his subjects be adapted to the environments of his fantasy worlds.
The renderings that were used to set up the CGI for the movie "Avatar" took another cultural definition of beauty by having the aliens be lithe, long bodied with highly symmetrical facial features that focused primarily on the eyes as central objects of natural beauty.

Artists can trick you into using our cultures beauty norms to draft their subjcts used in their fantasy art. So they are, in effect, leading you into buying their interpretations by drafting their subjects all loadedwith western aspects of beauty built-in to their work.

Id rather see my aliens look like the bar room in Star Wars, and not try to manipulate me
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 02:44 am
About 30,000 years ago, this . . .

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/70/Wien_NHM_Venus_von_Willendorf.jpg/250px-Wien_NHM_Venus_von_Willendorf.jpg

. . . was the standard of feminine beauty. How many people would think so today?
farmerman

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 02:53 am
@Setanta,
many paleo kids would keep that effigy under their mattresses.
Art manipulates all the time.

That babies HOT!.
farmerman

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 02:57 am
@farmerman,
Heres Peter Paul Reuben's portratit of one of the Butt Sisters (Elvira Butt) I believe

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQk2nG8pyidsu8YsNlzWSJdXKEFTFgME4ZXd-89iNeGWcbI25FX
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 05:02 am
Yeah, i was going to add the comment that fat chicks were popular until quite recently. They liked 'em stout, it showed your wealth in that you could keep a fat wife. Even in the 20th century, the trend wsa still strong . . .

http://www.screanews.us/NewYork/BrooklynOld_files/PinUp2.jpg

Marilyn Monroe wore a size 12 dress for most of her career.

http://www.bubblews.com/assets/images/news/1468161645_1370514139.jpg
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 07:32 am
@carlosc2dbz,
carlosc2dbz wrote:

I have been thinking if this is humanly possible. When I think beauty, I think of a beautiful face with a very nice body. Miss Universe, or some Victoria Secret models face, or some variation of all that. My question is can the human brain be able to surpass it's idea of what beauty is and create an image or an idea of what beauty, higher than that of a human (or human female), would look like?

It's kind of like asking a person if they can imagine and visually depict a color in the visual spectrum which humans can not neurologically and physiologically see/understand.

Keep in mind that beauty and the ability to quantify it is strictly a subjective notion. In one person's mind? An alien with 100 tentacles for genitalia might be the most beautiful thing and for others that same image might be their worst nightmare.

So of course, an artist can create an alien whose beauty could hypothetically surpass that of the most ideal human being. He or she just might be the only person to think his or her creation as the most beautiful thing in the universe but there you go....
eurocelticyankee

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 08:14 am
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
An alien with 100 tentacles for genitalia

Wouldn't testicles be better?.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 08:17 am
I'd definitely date a Nordic. yummy.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 08:32 am
The main purpose of beauty is sex. Human male evolved to find women attractive because when we have sex with women the species continues.

Finding someone beautiful that you can't (at least theoretically) make babies with has no purpose.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 09:07 am
More of a real Cro Magnon statuette:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6b/Venus_of_Brassempouy.jpg

Some people think the 'Venus of Willendorf' was more of an African/bushman thing which found its way North somehow or other:

http://barclay1720.tripod.com/hist/images/hotten.jpg

http://barclay1720.tripod.com/hist/images/venusbig2.jpg

http://25.media.tumblr.com/3b2b5b27d86ea8ddb32fa2f3d5198c04/tumblr_mild8gEYuI1ru5s3yo1_400.jpg
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 09:11 am
@eurocelticyankee,
eurocelticyankee wrote:

Quote:
An alien with 100 tentacles for genitalia

Wouldn't testicles be better?.

Pbbt!! Razz That wasn't a typo. That was intentional. Razz We're talking about alien biology which may or may not even resemble mammalian physiology in the slightest. Surprised
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 09:22 am
@carlosc2dbz,
carlosc2dbz wrote:

I'm not sure if you're talking about "Beauty" or "Sexual Attraction", which aren't necessarily the same thing.

A human perception of Beauty can be very broad and include an appreciation of Animals or Architecture or Sunsets. Based on that, I'm sure it's possible for creative artists to imagine alien beings which would be considered Beautiful.

If you're asking if an artist can imagine an alien which is sexually attractive, then I'm sure they can do that as well, but it's probably always going to look basically like a human being. A true "Alien" is not likely to resemble a human in any way, so it would seem unlikely to engender any sexual attraction... except that I've known a few teenage boys who claimed they would "hump a snake" if someone would hold it still for them Wink