"Is [God] willing to prevent evil, but not able? then is he impotent...

kennethamy

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 12:42 pm
@bmcreider,
bmcreider;116942 wrote:
You know...

Seriously...

I don't think any Christian or religious person has any imagination. Do not take that too insultingly, as I will explain...

The apologetic(s) in this thread are trying to make the case that we need the things we perceive as "evil" in some way to help us. Or we need "pain" or "suffering" to appreciate the "good". That is a shallow view to take of God, I think.

But neither of those is Leibniz's argument. Leibniz's argument is that some evil is needed for some good to exist (not to be 'perceived" and not so that good is appreciated, which would be, I agree, shallow). And, in addition, it that good for which evil is logically necessary, did not exist, the world would be less good than a world in which both the evil necessary for the good and the good, existed. In which case God would have created a less good world than he could have created. Which would be contrary to God's goodness. So, Leibniz's apologetic that any world without evil would be a less good world than a world with evil is not one of the shallow views you mention.
0 Replies

Pyrrho

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 12:43 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;116948 wrote:
Please explain to me how one "creates" evil. Evil is not a thing. Evil is not a creation. Evil is the absence of something. According to gotquestions.org and I think they said it nicely Evil is no more a creation than a hole in the ground. Holes exist but only when you a remove part of what's already there, in this case dirt. A hole is the absence of dirt from a place.

There are at least two things that can be said in response to that. First, in that case, nothing is evil, and rape and murder and torture, being real things, are inherently good. Do you seriously believe that?

And second, who left the hole, but the creator? If evil is only absence of good, then wouldn't an all good, omnipotent, and omniscient being fill every hole?

Amperage;116948 wrote:
I would probably change that last sentence to say ....but rather only allow for the absence of Himself, since I will agree that people can do "good" even without God.
All God did was allow people to do something other than what He wanted.

Putting the tree there was meaningless, it was symbolic. I can assure you they did not gain some special new knowledge once they ate from it.

So you are saying that the Biblical story is false, or God is a liar:

Genesis 2:

Quote:
16 And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat:

17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

Amperage;116948 wrote:
He could have said anything. He could have said don't walk backwards for 50 yards on Tuesdays. The point of the tree only served to give them a way to do something other than what God wanted. At that time I guess you could say they were given the world(minus 1 tree) as incentive to hang out with God yet they chose to do otherwise.

Without some way to do something other than what God wanted, they would have essentially been slaves to Him.

Question: Which is better? Forcing someone to love you by leaving them no other choice or earning that persons love to the point that they no longer want to choose anything else?

So, you think heaven is worse than the earth? Or are you denying the existence of heaven?
Amperage

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 12:53 pm
@bmcreider,
bmcreider;116951 wrote:
Why create Hell, why punish people indefinitely for finite sins?
God did not create Hell for us nor does He want or intend to "punish people indefinitely".
bmcreider;116951 wrote:

How is Heaven perfect if you can rebel, how does it have free will?
The truth is I don't know. But I think I recall the decision(when Satan rebelled) was a one time event in which the angles basically had to choose sides and apparently a third or 2 thirds I cant remember which followed Satan
0 Replies

bmcreider

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 12:57 pm
@Nitish,
So let me get this straight:

God said "Hold on, f this, I'm tired of being perfect - let's take a vote! Who doesn't want to be perfect, raise your hand!"

And then 2/3rds, or 1/3, or some definite number of "angles" decided to leave, to go to a place absent of any goodness at all?

How the hell did that ever happen? How did God not see that one coming? Wow....wow.
0 Replies

Amperage

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 12:58 pm
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;116953 wrote:
There are at least two things that can be said in response to that. First, in that case, nothing is evil, and rape and murder and torture, being real things, are inherently good. Do you seriously believe that?
As I said in my definition of evil. Evil is an unjustified motive or intent. That's it. That's all that can be evil. Evil is not a thing nor an act only a state of the heart. Take a rape for example. Clearly if the intent is to "rape someone" that's evil. If 2 people who love each other are partaking in the exact same act, it is not evil, for the intent is what matters. Same with murder

Pyrrho;116953 wrote:
And second, who left the hole, but the creator? If evil is only absence of good, then wouldn't an all good, omnipotent, and omniscient being fill every hole?
The only way to directly "fill the holes" is to take away free will. God's method is to try and give incentive to not dig the hole in the first place.

Pyrrho;116953 wrote:

So you are saying that the Biblical story is false, or God is a liar:

Genesis 2:

So, you think heaven is worse than the earth? Or are you denying the existence of heaven?
spiritually they did die. For God is life and apart from God one is spiritually dead

***EDIT FOR ADDITONAL COMMENT***
and once again I don't know how Heaven works. I never claimed we didn't have free will in heaven, but perhaps once we have the knowledge of where we are or become more Christ like we will no longer desire to do otherwise....ever. While still maintaining our free will. It will just be that we realize that another option exists but will never want to choose to exercise it.

---------- Post added 01-04-2010 at 01:00 PM ----------

bmcreider;116959 wrote:
So let me get this straight:

God said "Hold on, f this, I'm tired of being perfect - let's take a vote! Who doesn't want to be perfect, raise your hand!"

And then 2/3rds, or 1/3, or some definite number of "angles" decided to leave, to go to a place absent of any goodness at all?

How the hell did that ever happen? How did God not see that one coming? Wow....wow.
God didn't say anything. Obviously angels had the choice. And clearly they didn't think they were going to lose or else they wouldn't have fought in the first place. And clearly Satan was smarter and more influential than all the rest and he tricked them or deceived them in some manner
bmcreider

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 01:08 pm
@Nitish,
Is it really so clear? Where did it ever say that in the bible? Is this just gossip? If God really, for some reason, let free will get away from his perfect beings in perfect Heaven to where they'd want to rebel and one would become a leader, and then make humans shitty forever - you think he'd figure that out because I just did? If I can see through the bullshit, why can't you, and why can't "God"?

It's just an infinite regression of bullshit to explain religion, the bible, God, angels, etc...etc...etc...

Doesn't the fact that we are biologically driven to propagate our species and survive explain more about what leads to rape, or what leads to Nazism, or Communism than the bible or some made up Sunday school on God?

Doesn't geology, tectonic plates, the environment and climate, the moon, or any number of other things explain natural disasters better than the bible or a preacher?

Everything that we perceive as evil is of our own creation, there is no God to blame, and it can all be fixed or attempted to be fixed with rational thinking - never wishful thinking about some BS daddy figure in space.
Amperage

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 01:15 pm
@bmcreider,
bmcreider;116966 wrote:
Is it really so clear? Where did it ever say that in the bible? Is this just gossip? If God really, for some reason, let free will get away from his perfect beings in perfect Heaven to where they'd want to rebel and one would become a leader, and then make humans shitty forever - you think he'd figure that out because I just did? If I can see through the bullshit, why can't you, and why can't "God"?

It's just an infinite regression of bullshit to explain religion, the bible, God, angels, etc...etc...etc...

Doesn't the fact that we are biologically driven to propagate our species and survive explain more about what leads to rape, or what leads to Nazism, or Communism than the bible or some made up Sunday school on God?

Doesn't geology, tectonic plates, the environment and climate, the moon, or any number of other things explain natural disasters better than the bible or a preacher?

Everything that we perceive as evil is of our own creation, there is no God to blame, and it can all be fixed or attempted to be fixed with rational thinking - never wishful thinking about some BS daddy figure in space.
Revelations 12 I believe. Who says God didn't see it coming? Obviously things are occurring the way they were supposed to and the way God knew they would, however, this does not mean things are occurring the way God desired. Clearly everything can be explained scientifically but that doesn't disprove God in any way nor are "the bible or a preacher" in competition with science.

I respect your opinion and would never try to force any set of rules or my beliefs on you, I do feel it necessary to shed some logic on what and why I believe what I do, and I do feel we are called to defend the gospel wherever we are. I'm just here to learn like everyone else. I don't know everything nor will I ever know everything. God may or may not be real but I believe that He is and that belief has not stopped me from weighing things logically and analyzing situations and circumstances as critically as I know how.
Pyrrho

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 01:18 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;116960 wrote:

The only way to directly "fill the holes" is to take away free will. God's method is to try and give incentive to not dig the hole in the first place.

and once again I don't know how Heaven works. I never claimed we didn't have free will in heaven, but perhaps once we have the knowledge of where we are or become more Christ like we will no longer desire to do otherwise....ever. While still maintaining our free will. It will just be that we realize that another option exists but will never want to choose to exercise it.

Those things do not fit together. If your comment is true that the only way to "fill the holes" (i.e., eliminate evil) is to take away free will, then it is impossible for there to be a perfect heaven with people with free will. You are not keeping your story straight, and change it in order to attempt to answer each new question, without bothering to keep your new answers consistent with your old answers.

If this is possible:

once we have the knowledge of where we are or become more Christ like we will no longer desire to do otherwise....ever. While still maintaining our free will. It will just be that we realize that another option exists but will never want to choose to exercise it.

then evil is not necessary, and there is no excuse for God allowing it. God could simply have made heaven with people with this understanding of which you write, and bypassed this earthly veil of tears entirely. But since God did not choose to do that, God is the creator of unnecessary evil, and is therefore evil.

You cannot have your cake and eat it too. Either a perfect heaven is impossible, or evil is unnecessary. Take your pick on that, and then let us continue the discussion if you wish to maintain that there is a God that is omnipotent, omniscient, and all good.
bmcreider

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 01:18 pm
@Nitish,
How do they occur according to the way God says they are supposed to but not the way he desires?

And I don't think I or anyone can disprove God, so that's a fair point.
0 Replies

xris

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 01:20 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;116969 wrote:
Revelations 12 I believe. Who says God didn't see it coming? Obviously things are occurring the way they were supposed to and the way God knew they would, however, this does not mean things are occurring the way God desired. Clearly everything can be explained scientifically but that doesn't disprove God in any way.
I thought you stood uneducated on theological questions and did not have a defined opinion. It appears both are not as you claimed. Are you actually saying he is incapable, he is a minor god, one step up from Thor.
Zetherin

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 01:25 pm
@Nitish,
Dustin wrote:

The Four Laws of Creation

1) You Exist

2) The One is the All. The All are the One.

3) What you put out is what you get back.

4) Change is the only constant, except for the first 3 laws.

Hahahahaha. Nice save with the second part of law #4! Laughing
God approves :devilish:
0 Replies

Amperage

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 01:27 pm
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;116970 wrote:

then evil is not necessary, and there is no excuse for God allowing it. God could simply have made heaven with people with this understanding of which you write, and bypassed this earthly veil of tears entirely. But since God did not choose to do that, God is the creator of unnecessary evil, and is therefore evil.
evil is not necessary in the sense that evil ought not occur but still does unfortunately. But the existence of evil does not negate the existence of God either. And I have no answer for why God has sent us to earth I can only offer a guess which is that perhaps it is in this arena where we don't know and can't know everything that he wants us to explore and seek Him out.

Pyrrho;116970 wrote:
You cannot have your cake and eat it too. Either a perfect heaven is impossible, or evil is unnecessary. Take your pick on that, and then let us continue the discussion if you wish to maintain that there is a God that is omnipotent, omniscient, and all good.
Well then my pick is that heaven is perfect and either we still maintain free will(though no one chooses to disobey) or we don't have free will.
Pyrrho

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 01:33 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;116977 wrote:
And evil is not necessary in the sense that evil ought not occur but still unfortunately. But the existence of evil does not negate the existence of God either. And I have no answer for why God has sent us to earth I can only offer a guess which is that perhaps it is in this arena where we don't know and can't know everything that he wants us to explore and seek Him out.

If evil is not necessary, then God is the creator of unnecessary evil and is therefore evil.

If we are ignorant, it is because God made us ignorant (unless, of course, God did not make us).

The existence of evil does not prove that there is no god of any kind; it only proves that there is not a god that is all of the following: omnipotent, omniscient, and all good. That is all the argument was ever intended to prove.

Amperage;116977 wrote:
Well then my pick is that heaven is perfect and either we still maintain free will(though no one chooses to disobey) or we don't have free will.

You still are hedging your bets rather than picking something definite. If we do not have free will in heaven, then it is better to not have free will, so it is evil of God to give us free will on earth. And if we have free will in a perfect heaven, then the existence of free will does not explain the existence of evil.
Amperage

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 01:37 pm
@xris,
xris;116974 wrote:
I thought you stood uneducated on theological questions
I confess I didn't know where it was at in the bible and had to google it. I remember hearing/reading it but couldn't remember where it was.
xris;116974 wrote:
and did not have a defined opinion.
I always have an opinion but it may not always be the right one and even if it is right I may not hold it for the right reason.
xris;116974 wrote:
It appears both are not as you claimed. Are you actually saying he is incapable, he is a minor god, one step up from Thor.
I'm simply stating that I think that without impeding upon free will there is only so much one can do. What I meant for example was that God may desire for us to follow Him, yet He already knows some won't and apparently this is something he's always known, that still doesn't change the fact that he desired for EVERYONE to follow Him
xris

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 01:54 pm
@Amperage,
So what is free will ? the will to do as god wishes or as he knows we are imperfect to do, in fact, the most stupidest thing possible. I reiterate he cant have expectations of imperfection, can he?
Amperage

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 01:54 pm
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;116981 wrote:
If evil is not necessary, then God is the creator of unnecessary evil and is therefore evil.
As I've stated God did not "create" evil. Evil exists but is not created. Even if I had the ability to create things I would not be able to create a barrel filled with pure evil. Because evil is not a thing.

Pyrrho;116981 wrote:
The existence of evil does not prove that there is no god of any kind; it only proves that there is not a god that is all of the following: omnipotent, omniscient, and all good. That is all the argument was ever intended to prove.
can we agree that someone could(hypothetically) be all powerful but also good/wise/"all-knowing" enough not to use that power?
If so, can ANY argument be made(see post #81) that would suggest "evil" as being necessary? If the possibility exists then have not we just proven that evil can exist and God could still be omnipotent, omniscient, and all good?

Pyrrho;116981 wrote:
You still are hedging your bets rather than picking something definite. If we do not have free will in heaven, then it is better to not have free will, so it is evil of God to give us free will on earth. And if we have free will in a perfect heaven, then the existence of free will does not explain the existence of evil.
That's because I don't know and can't know. I believe in the notion of free will therefore I suppose I would choose the latter.
Pyrrho

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 02:07 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;116989 wrote:
As I've stated God did not "create" evil. Evil exists but is not created. Even if I had the ability to create things I would not be able to create a barrel filled with pure evil. Because evil is not a thing.

Whether evil is a thing or the absence of a thing is immaterial to the argument. You see, if God made the world, he left the gaps for the evil, and in so doing, is the cause of there being evil. It does not matter whether the evil is the result of God doing something, or failing to do something; with an omnipotent being, all actions are easy.

Amperage;116989 wrote:
can we agree that someone could(hypothetically) be all powerful but also good/wise/"all-knowing" enough not to use that power?

No. An omniscient (all knowing) being would know how to use the power for good.

(The way you worded the question, however, could give one the result of a being that is omnipotent but not omniscient, and so the being may not know what to do, and might therefore decide not to act. But then we are not dealing with a being relevant to the subject of this thread; we would then be dealing with a being of limited intelligence.)

Amperage;116989 wrote:
If so, can ANY argument be made(see post #81) that would suggest "evil" as being necessary? If the possibility exists then have not we just proven that evil can exist and God could still be omnipotent, omniscient, and all good?

Do you mean, can someone make up some gobbledygook and pretend to have something to argue, or do you mean to actually come up with a good and reasonable argument? I have never seen any respectable argument for evil being necessary.

Amperage;116989 wrote:
That's because I don't know and can't know. I believe in the notion of free will therefore I suppose I would choose the latter.

In that case, the existence of free will does not explain evil, and so we are left with the conclusion that God is responsible for unnecessary evil (if there is a god that is omnipotent and omniscient). Thus, God is evil.

Or, to put this another way, there is no god that is omnipotent, omniscient, and all good.
Amperage

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 02:11 pm
@xris,
xris;116988 wrote:
So what is free will ? the will to do as god wishes or as he knows we are imperfect to do, in fact, the most stupidest thing possible. I reiterate he cant have expectations of imperfection, can he?
God has no expectations only desire. God does not expect us to be perfect nor is it a requirement for anything. God, however, is perfect and we are made to be perfect through Him and by Him. Not perfect in a physical or mental sense but in a spiritual sense(the only one that really matters).
I would call free will the ability to do choose an option despite any of internal or external situation.
xris

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 02:21 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;116995 wrote:
God has no expectations only desire. God does not expect us to be perfect nor is it a requirement for anything. God, however, is perfect and we are made to be perfect through Him and by Him. Not perfect in a physical or mental sense but in a spiritual sense(the only one that really matters).
I would call free will the ability to do choose an option despite any of internal or external situation.
Desires , desire to do what ? to invent imperfection and then examine its failures. Spiritually perfection is measured by what? This silly game of reality and an imagined god is really doing my head in. What was his purpose in creating us? OOOh I know when the question gets tooo difficult we can only imagine his purpose.

If free will exists it has nothing to do with your imagined god. Logic deprives god of his existance, he has no authority in reasoning.
0 Replies

Amperage

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 02:23 pm
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;116993 wrote:
Whether evil is a thing or the absence of a thing is immaterial to the argument. You see, if God made the world, he left the gaps for the evil, and in so doing, is the cause of there being evil. It does not matter whether the evil is the result of God doing something, or failing to do something; with an omnipotent being, all actions are easy.
God left gaps, not for evil, but, yes, evil does occur at times in those gaps. By the same token it is possible to do "good things" in those gaps.

Pyrrho;116993 wrote:
No. An omniscient (all knowing) being would know how to use the power for good.
No? What if an omniscient being knew the best way to use it's power for good was to not use it in some instances? This is not possible?

Pyrrho;116993 wrote:
In that case, the existence of free will does not explain evil
To me, free will does explain evil. Evil occurs whenever someone chooses to do something other than what is right despite the fact

---------- Post added 01-04-2010 at 02:28 PM ----------

xris;117000 wrote:
Desires, desire to do what ?
His desire is for fellowship with people who, while not being forced to loved Him, choose to love Him anyways.

xris;117000 wrote:
to invent imperfection and then examine its failures. Spiritually perfection is measured by what? This silly game of reality and an imagined god is really doing my head in. What was his purpose in creating us? OOOh I know when the question gets tooo difficult we can only imagine his purpose.
I would love to hear where you get your notion of imperfection. Considering you do no have the blueprints how could you know if something was not created perfectly?

xris;117000 wrote:
If free will exists it has nothing to do with your imagined god. Logic deprives god of his existence, he has no authority in reasoning.
? I guess you lost me with this one. God, while having ultimate authority, chooses not to deploy it over our free will.