"Is [God] willing to prevent evil, but not able? then is he impotent...

Amperage

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 11:35 pm
@bmcreider,
bmcreider;119856 wrote:
Well we appreciate the good because the evil - but when we go to Heaven, if we did, there'd be no allowing evil thoughts or memories or recollections. So - how would we "appreciate" our good character that awarded us our entrance in the first place? This is, of course, secondary to the free will in Heaven, or lack there of, argument.
I don't really know the answer to most of those questions. We do know Satan rebelled while in Heaven. I wouldn't think we'd have material bodies so physical pain wouldn't exist. As far as mental-type pain, perhaps we'll only be able to experience the good because God will filter what we can see from earth. The bible says that all of heaven rejoices over one sinner who repents.
0 Replies

bmcreider

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 11:37 pm
@Nitish,
lol then we know about sin, and how would one not feel guilt about living such a perfect life while your offspring burns in Auschwitz, for example. And how does a rebellion occur in perfection, but we've gone over that before. I will concede the argument if you tire of this Wink.

edit: I do suppose I can see what you are saying, though.
Amperage

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 11:44 pm
@bmcreider,
bmcreider;119860 wrote:
lol then we know about sin, and how would one not feel guilt about living such a perfect life while your offspring burns in Auschwitz, for example. And how does a rebellion occur in perfection, but we've gone over that before. I will concede the argument if you tire of this Wink.
we won't know about our offspring burning in Auschwitz. We won't even really remember our time on earth in that fashion. The bible says you'll still recognize people in heaven but like I said the bible doesn't say we will know what's going on on earth when we're in Heaven(it doesn't say we won't either), but the bible does say all of heaven rejoices over a sinner who repents. Maybe they just announce it? The bible says there won't be death, sorrow, crying, pain. Maybe it's like....think about a really really great time in your life....or when you were really having a lot of fun......your mind doesn't even think to think about sadness or any other bad thing...
0 Replies

bmcreider

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 11:48 pm
@Nitish,
I can see what you're saying, I am sure many Christians have pondered the same things I did...
Amperage

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 11:51 pm
@bmcreider,
bmcreider;119863 wrote:
I can see what you're saying, I am sure many Christians have pondered the same things I did...
I defiantly have and at the end of the day the only thing I have to fall back is that I think God has a plan and that everything is designed to exemplify His glory
0 Replies

bmcreider

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 11:54 pm
@Nitish,
Maybe so, but religion's history, leaders, essentially the human factor will always keep me away from it, or its ideas of God (judging a tree by its fruits, how ironic Wink)
Amperage

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 11:57 pm
@bmcreider,
bmcreider;119867 wrote:
Maybe so, but religion's history, leaders, essentially the human factor will always keep me away from it, or it's ideas of God (judging a tree by it's fruits, how ironic Wink)
sad but true I'm afraid with a lot of people. They say if they locked the doors on Sundays and converted only those claiming to be Christians within the doors, that it would be greatest revival ever.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 04:29 pm
@Dustin phil,
Dustin;116671 wrote:
The Four Laws of Creation

1) You Exist

2) The One is the All. The All are the One.

3) What you put out is what you get back.

4) Change is the only constant, except for the first 3 laws.

Oh first of all, thank you for the fun you provided for me with posting this. Now let the fun begin.

Let me start with good ol' number four. "Change is the only constant, except for the first three laws." What? Seriously? You don't see any flaw in this statement? Because I do. It implies that my existence has always been changeless. I have always existed? My existence is changeless? Well that is just remarkable because I have absolutely no recollection of existing for that long. Could you provide me some evidence for this?

This also is the same problem for the second statement, "The one is all. The all are one." If this doesn't contradict all the other statements, I don't understand contradiction. If this statement has remained unchanged then by what means am I not realizing that I am the one and always have been the one? I know that I am the one and only but if that is true why do I always get a whole lot of hate when I make that statement? Clearly, joking aside, I have changed and do not realize that I am apart of the one. That is change, if it wasn't change, then I would already know that I am the one and making that statement would have been redundant.

"What you put out, is what you get back."

Um no... Sorry this is just a statement people like to use to make themselves feel better about the world. You can be nice to people but you will not always receive niceness in return. Don't get me wrong though, I am not saying people won't ever be nice to you in return, instead I am saying even if you are nice to everyone, you don't always get niceness in return. So this statement falls short of the mark.
0 Replies

awareness

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2010 05:03 pm
@Nitish,
God does not accept evil as a valid concept. That is an invention by humans who wish to define suffering. To God only the consciousness is important because that is it's creation. And cleansing the consciousness of desires and judgments is what matters most for that will allow for the return of the consciousness to it's perfect and most pure state in which is was created.
Pyrrho

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 07:30 am
@awareness,
awareness;138427 wrote:
God does not accept evil as a valid concept. That is an invention by humans who wish to define suffering. To God only the consciousness is important because that is it's creation. And cleansing the consciousness of desires and judgments is what matters most for that will allow for the return of the consciousness to it's perfect and most pure state in which is was created.

In other words, you are saying that God is an amoral bastard who does not give a rat's ass about all the suffering in the world.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 08:20 am
@awareness,
awareness;138427 wrote:

So, I suppose that goodness is also an invention by humans, so they do not mean anything real when they say that God is good.
north

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 12:48 am
@kennethamy,
god can not prevent evil because god caused evil in the first place

the essence of the pressence of evil is gods rejection of lucifers love for god

in the bible
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 11:28 am
@Nitish,
Nitish;10661 wrote:
"Is [God] willing to prevent evil, but not able? then is he impotent. Is he able, but not willing? then is he malevolent. Is he both able and willing? whence then is evil?"-Epicurus.
You should read about "Son of the Morning Star"
north

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 05:21 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;139033 wrote:
You should read about "Son of the Morning Star"

why ? what is this " son of the morning star " ?
HexHammer

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 07:06 pm
@north,
north;140044 wrote:
why ? what is this " son of the morning star " ?
Imo a key to understand what christianity is about, many willingly disregard that and let their group think take over and blind them.

It's a tragic story about Lucifer, which may suprise many how he started out.
0 Replies

Tatarize

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 03:21 pm
@saiboimushi,
So clearly God is a being of absolute and pure evil, he just redefines it as good. The holocaust, the rape of children, slavery... all of these seem evil, but the Christian God just redefines them into moral good to sanction never having to lift a finger.
neapolitan

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 11:00 pm
@Tatarize,
The holocaust was evil, how can anyone think it seems evil, or think God can not tell good from evil - it's beyond comprehension. God isn't found in actions of those who commited crimes against humanity. God is only found in actions of the poeple who tried to save the lives of the potential victims of the holocaust.
Krumple

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 11:21 pm
@neapolitan,
neapolitan wrote:

The holocaust was evil, how can anyone think it seems evil, or think God can not tell good from evil - it's beyond comprehension. God isn't found in actions of those who commited crimes against humanity. God is only found in actions of the poeple who tried to save the lives of the potential victims of the holocaust.

Yeah I like it when god get's credit when people do "good" things but not involved when they do "bad" things. If you are going to say only people do "bad" things, then why not also say that it is people who do "good" things?

How about get down to the reality of the situation? God doesn't exist and people do both good and bad things? The most realistic explanation and you don't have to have any belief or faith to understand or accept it.

0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 08:01 am
@saiboimushi,
saiboimushi wrote:

I think I agree with Epicurus. If evil is produced by God, then who can consider it evil?

If humans chaffe at what they perceive as evil, then they rebel against God in their hearts, making them guilty of the only real evil there is--sin. If God produces sickness, for example, then it would be evil to heal the sick, since it would contradict His divine order.

Consider this: if God made evil, and if humans are made in His image and likeness, then surely He must suffer from it, as well, since humans suffer from it all the time. Yet how could God be subject to His own creation? How could the the Principle of the universe be contradicted by the universe? Philosophy and theology collide at the very moment these questions are asked.

In which case, if good is produced by God, who can consider it good? For, if we cannot consider evil produced by God evil, then how can we consider good produced by God, good?
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 08:04 am
@Dustin phil,
Dustin phil wrote:

Nitish wrote:
"Is [God] willing to prevent evil, but not able? then is he impotent. Is he able, but not willing? then is he malevolent. Is he both able and willing? whence then is evil?"-Epicurus.

Answer?????

Nitish, think about this for a second. If you didn't know hot would you know cold? Would electricity be anything without oppositely charged particles?

We have a choice to prevent our own evil . . . are we malevolent?

Do you really think that knowing that something is evil is worth the evil necessary for us to know it is evil? As for me, I would rather not have evil and not know about evil, than have the evil to know about evil. How about you?
0 Replies