Wonder why they don't hate America.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 01:46 pm
@Pangloss,
Pangloss;102207 wrote:
Have you been to all of these places? I suspect not. There are plenty of nice places to live in China, Cuba, Africa, and probably the others as well. It's nice that you so easily dismiss 'every country in Africa', as if they are the same, and as if you have personal experience there. Africa is very culturally, geographically, politically, diverse throughout the continent, and varies greatly from country to country...certainly there are some select places there where we could probably all say that America is 'better' by almost any standard, but you can't so easily dismiss the entire continent.

These types of posts just reek of ethnocentric ignorance, and you're going to have to qualify what you mean when you use the comparative 'better' here.

Of course I haven't. But I have read about what goes on in them. I didn't dismiss every country anywhere. Obviously there are differences among the countries in Africa. If I was forced to choose, I would rather live in some rather than others. And, in fact, I would rather live in some of them then at the North Pole. (And I have never lived at the North Pole either). So what? That is irrelevant. That doesn't mean that it is not better to live in America than any one of them. Straw-man. (Imputing to me something I never said). The fact is that the report this thread began with shows that more emigrants would rather go to America than any other place. Are they "ethnocentric" too?
0 Replies

Pangloss

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 01:57 pm
@kennethamy,
If you want to bring up logical fallacies, you should quickly review all of the hasty generalizations you've made in this thread. You obviously can't make a very informed decision about one place being better to live than another, if you have only experienced living in one of the places.

If you want to believe every horror story in the media regarding foreign countries, that's your choice; a resignation to ignorance. Just like if I had never been to America, yet I had read half of the news coming out of any large city about the violence and corruption taking place, I'd probably think that this country is hell, yet it's not.
kennethamy

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 02:46 pm
@Pangloss,
Pangloss;102212 wrote:
If you want to bring up logical fallacies, you should quickly review all of the hasty generalizations you've made in this thread. You obviously can't make a very informed decision about one place being better to live than another, if you have only experienced living in one of the places.

If you want to believe every horror story in the media regarding foreign countries, that's your choice; a resignation to ignorance. Just like if I had never been to America, yet I had read half of the news coming out of any large city about the violence and corruption taking place, I'd probably think that this country is hell, yet it's not.

Of course, if your contention is that all my information about North Korea (for instance) is wrong, and that it is actually paradise on Earth, I don't know how to reply. But I think you would be wrong. Of course I mean that if what I believe about these places is substantially correct, then I would rather live in the United States. But, what did you think I was saying? That knowing nothing about these other places, it is my rational judgment that the United States is better?
0 Replies

Arjuna

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 04:16 pm
@Pangloss,
Pangloss;102212 wrote:

The fact that the US is almost entirely populated by immigrants and their descendents testifies to the situation that has existed for at least a century now: the west has drained many places in the world of dynamic, innovative people. The US has been the happy recipient of many of these people. From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, the US contains their genotype. And this drain has been sorely felt by those left behind.

The question might be: is this migration in conflict with the real value of living in the US? Is it in conflict with anti-US sentiment that is occasionally expressed? Josh told us that to realize that anti-US sentiment isn't to be taken personally, but refers to dishonorable behavior on the part of the US Military and the CIA, demonstrating an outrageous arrogance.

Pangloss: I haven't seen you addressing the question. All I've seen so far is biting condemnations of those offering thoughts on the issue.
Pangloss

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 06:15 pm
@Arjuna,
kennethamy;102222 wrote:
Of course, if your contention is that all my information about North Korea (for instance) is wrong, and that it is actually paradise on Earth, I don't know how to reply. But I think you would be wrong. Of course I mean that if what I believe about these places is substantially correct, then I would rather live in the United States.

Now where did I ever say anything about North Korea being a paradise on earth, or even being a good place to live? Talk about straw-man responses, yours takes the cake.

Arjuna;102243 wrote:
The fact that the US is almost entirely populated by immigrants and their descendents testifies to the situation that has existed for at least a century now: the west has drained many places in the world of dynamic, innovative people. The US has been the happy recipient of many of these people. From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, the US contains their genotype. And this drain has been sorely felt by those left behind.

That's nice, thanks for the unnecessary history lesson.

Quote:
The question might be: is this migration in conflict with the real value of living in the US? Is it in conflict with anti-US sentiment that is occasionally expressed? Josh told us that to realize that anti-US sentiment isn't to be taken personally, but refers to dishonorable behavior on the part of the US Military and the CIA, demonstrating an outrageous arrogance.

Pangloss: I haven't seen you addressing the question. All I've seen so far is biting condemnations of those offering thoughts on the issue.

Well, most foreign anti-US sentiment that we hear about is in regards to US foreign policy...that's it. I think this is pretty clear; regarding aspects of our society and culture, there is clearly much support for basic US principles, found in the constitution and our political system, economic system, and so forth.

If I haven't been addressing the 'question', it's because there is no question here. The thread started off simply as a copy-and-paste job, and an attempt to bait others here to spout off their anti-american sentiments. And you bet I'm going to condemn as many ignorant, ethnocentric viewpoints as I can while I'm here; they run rampant on this forum, and are not at all philosophical. We might as well turn this thread into an opinion poll as to what country we want to live in...it will still be just as biased and unenlightening.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 06:26 pm
@Pangloss,
The bulk of anti-American sentiment is foreign policy, but there is also a massive amount of distaste for American consumer culture and materialism.
Zetherin

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 06:31 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;102265 wrote:
The bulk of anti-American sentiment is foreign policy, but there is also a massive amount of distaste for American consumer culture and materialism.

I think the bulk of anti-American sentiment is the distaste for American consumer culture and materialism. This opinion is just based on my experience traveling and befriending many Eastern Europeans and Asians, though.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 06:38 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;102265 wrote:

The peculiar thing is that a number of other countries are as, or more, materialistic than the United States. France, for instance. South Korea, for another. As for foreign policy, that is natural. American foreign policy is often pursued in American interests. And these sometimes conflict with the interests of other countries. What the other countries seem to resent is that the Americans succeed in their pursuit. They would like it better if we failed when our interests conflict with theirs. That is understandable.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 06:45 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;102270 wrote:
The peculiar thing is that a number of other countries are as, or more, materialistic than the United States. France, for instance. South Korea, for another.

You have been to these nations, spent time there?

kennethamy;102270 wrote:
American foreign policy is often pursued in American interests.

And often pursued against American interests, too.

kennethamy;102270 wrote:
And these sometimes conflict with the interests of other countries. What the other countries seem to resent is that the Americans succeed in their pursuit.

Or, as an alternative explanation, maybe these people are upset that we bomb wedding parties, cause tens of thousands of civilian casualties in wars all over the globe fought without any clear reason.

kennethamy;102270 wrote:
They would like it better if we failed when our interests conflict with theirs. That is understandable.

Or maybe they would just like it better if we stopped slaughtering people. Stopped over-consuming every resource imaginable.
kennethamy

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 07:03 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;102272 wrote:
You have been to these nations, spent time there?

And often pursued against American interests, too.

Or, as an alternative explanation, maybe these people are upset that we bomb wedding parties, cause tens of thousands of civilian casualties in wars all over the globe fought without any clear reason.

Or maybe they would just like it better if we stopped slaughtering people. Stopped over-consuming every resource imaginable.

I have spent time in France. Some of my immediate family lives in South Korea.

We do not intentionally target civilians. I have just been reading a book on the battle of Normandy in 1944. More French civilians were killed by Allied bombardment than the combined total of German and Allied casualties during the battle of Normandy. It is what happens against a determined enemy. These French civilians were not deliberately targeted either.

The clear reason in Normandy was that the Nazi armies had to be defeated. The clear reason in Iraq and Afganistan was that the terrorist and in insurgents had to be defeated. The difference, of course, is that the battle of Normandy was approved of by most foreigners. The battles in the Mideast were disapproved of by many foreigners.
0 Replies

Pangloss

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 07:04 pm
@kennethamy,
Consumer culture and materialism seems to be quite popular worldwide, and it makes sense that countries with higher per-capita incomes are more well-known for it. Basically, this type of lifestyle seduces those who can afford it, in many countries, though it is quite pronounced in the US.

Of course this type of mindset isn't that deplorable when you compare it to those of the hawks running our foreign policy, who don't seem to care much about bombing villages, assassinating foreign political figures, and generally meddling with foreign affairs at any opportunity.

kennethamy;102277 wrote:
The clear reason in Normandy was that the Nazi armies had to be defeated. The clear reason in Iraq and Afganistan was that the terrorist and in insurgents had to be defeated. The difference, of course, is that the battle of Normandy was approved of by most foreigners. The battles in the Mideast were disapproved of by many foreigners.

Oh boy...so you consider village people and workers turned freedom fighters to be 'terrorists' and 'insurgents' because they are defending their homes from a vicious foreign invader? Your comparison between Normandy and Iraq, the Nazis and the 'insurgents', is beyond comprehension...where on earth do you get this stuff?
kennethamy

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 07:20 pm
@Pangloss,
Pangloss;102278 wrote:
Consumer culture and materialism seems to be quite popular worldwide, and it makes sense that countries with higher per-capita incomes are more well-known for it. Basically, this type of lifestyle seduces those who can afford it, in many countries, though it is quite pronounced in the US.

Of course this type of mindset isn't that deplorable when you compare it to those of the hawks running our foreign policy, who don't seem to care much about bombing villages, assassinating foreign political figures, and generally meddling with foreign affairs at any opportunity.

Oh boy...so you consider village people and workers turned freedom fighters to be 'terrorists' and 'insurgents' because they are defending their homes from a vicious foreign invader? Your comparison between Normandy and Iraq, the Nazis and the 'insurgents', is beyond comprehension...where on earth do you get this stuff?

Al Quaida was composed of freedom fighters? And the insugents (which is what they were) were finally put down in Iraq by the Sunni "great awakening". Namely the Sunni farmers and worker of the cities of Iraq who were fed up with being terrorized and murdered by the insurgent Shiites. Read some recent history. (By the way, terrorists can be freedom fighters, and freedom fighters also terrorists. It happens all the time. Look at South Africa).
Pangloss

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 07:26 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;102280 wrote:
Al Quaida was composed of freedom fighters? And the insugents (which is what they were) were finally put down in Iraq by the Sunni "great awakening". Namely the Sunni farmers and worker of the cities of Iraq who were fed up with being terrorized and murdered by the insurgent Shiites. Read some recent history. (By the way, terrorists can be freedom fighters, and freedom fighters also terrorists. It happens all the time. Look at South Africa).

You are lumping together Iraq and Afghanistan, Al-Qaeda and Iraqi insurgents, when the two are entirely different. There was never any established connection between Saddam's Iraq and 9/11, or Saddam's Iraq and Al-Qaeda...even Bush's cronies finally stated that this was the case. And sure, you can call them terrorists, but I'll call them freedom fighters. Iraq was bombed and invaded in the fashion of a 'war of aggression'...read: illegally, according to international law.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 07:48 pm
@Pangloss,
Intentionally targeting or not, civilians being killed en mass is a major stain on foreign perception.

And whether those civilians are intentionally targeted or not is up for dispute. Consider the fierce and dishonest denials from the US government and military during Vietnam that we were targeting civilians. Not to mention various contractors, employed by the government, in Iraq who are known to have intentionally targeted civilians.

Pangloss, on the one hand I want to agree about the hawks being more deplorable than our rampant materialism. But do you imagine our rampant materialism to contribute to the ability of these hawks to succeed in their agenda?
Pangloss

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 08:00 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;102283 wrote:

Pangloss, on the one hand I want to agree about the hawks being more deplorable than our rampant materialism. But do you imagine our rampant materialism to contribute to the ability of these hawks to succeed in their agenda?

To be honest, not really. The consumer and entertainment culture here doesn't directly lead to an aggressive foreign policy by itself. Perhaps some people were convinced by politicians and the media that the continuation of our excessive lifestyle was dependent on the success of our wars in the middle east, and gave their willing support accordingly. But then this all just goes back to the old policy of fear mongering, used to rally the people up for some war that is motivated by a desire for political and/or economic gain.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 08:07 pm
@Pangloss,
Ah, but as people tend to listen with increasingly less criticism to what they hear and see, especially on TV, then isn't easier for pundits and hawks with agendas to drum up support for folly policy? And also, if we are so sated with consumption, are we not then less likely to object to folly policy, or even investigate policy to the point of knowing enough to object?

It seems that the culture promotes complacency, at least, and that complacency allows the wolves to feast. Sure, by itself the materialism does not directly cause foreign war, but the materialism does seem to make it easier for the hawks to engage in foreign war.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 09:53 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;102195 wrote:
But whether it is better to live anywhere than to be dead is not the question.

If it is not the question it is the question behiind the question...No one wants to be unhappy, but often, unhappiness is the greatest of luxuries because to feel it we must live, and to live we must have forms that are working on some level...
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 03:04 am
@Pangloss,
Pangloss;102281 wrote:
You are lumping together Iraq and Afghanistan, Al-Qaeda and Iraqi insurgents, when the two are entirely different. There was never any established connection between Saddam's Iraq and 9/11, or Saddam's Iraq and Al-Qaeda...even Bush's cronies finally stated that this was the case. And sure, you can call them terrorists, but I'll call them freedom fighters. Iraq was bombed and invaded in the fashion of a 'war of aggression'...read: illegally, according to international law.

As I said, the terms are not mutually exclusive. The same person can be both. He can use terrorism as a means, and freedom (really independence, since most of these fellows would not know freedom if they tripped over it) as a goal. Whether or not someone is called something is, of course, irrelevant, since someone can be called something he is not, and not be called something he is.
Fido

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 06:22 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;102309 wrote:
As I said, the terms are not mutually exclusive. The same person can be both. He can use terrorism as a means, and freedom (really independence, since most of these fellows would not know freedom if they tripped over it) as a goal. Whether or not someone is called something is, of course, irrelevant, since someone can be called something he is not, and not be called something he is.

It is hard to tell a man with a gun that he is not free, or that his vote does not count... We think we are free, and we are free to disagree because our disagreement is so meaningless... We cannot stop business or government from doing as they please, and because we cannot resist our consent is meaningless... So, then, what does it matter if the government or the boss gives you some thing good... They can as easily take it away...
0 Replies

prothero

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 05:45 pm
@kennethamy,
If the thread is about "why they do not hate America". Then it is pretty clear "they" being people in other countries "do not hate America" and that many given the opportunity would like to "live in, move to or make their country like America".
Whether "they" desire this because of Americas material wealth or because of our founding ideals, system of government, laws and economic and social opportunity is debatable. I think the latter but proof is absent.

If the debate is about what is the "best" country or the extent to which America still meets its founding ideals things are a little less clear. There is no "best" country for everyone. Clearly given the opportunity many would immigrate to America or other western democratic countries. All countries could do better in providing opportunity for all and protecting human rights but America is far from the worst and often has been a leader in both areas.