2
   

Wonder why they don't hate America.

 
 
Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2009 08:17 pm
Although it is fashionable or common to think that people in other countries do not like the US, a recent survey indicates that the US is still the emigration destination of choice in many parts of the world.


"WASHINGTON (AFP) - Some 700 million people worldwide, or more than all the adults of North and South America combined, think the grass is greener on the other side of the fence and want to permanently move to another country, a poll showed Tuesday.
Residents of sub-Saharan African countries were the most likely to want to move abroad permanently, the polls conducted in 135 countries between 2007 and this year by Gallup showed.
On average, 38 percent of the adult population in sub-Saharan Africa, or around 165 million people, said they would up stakes and head for another country if they had the chance.
The most popular destination was the United States, where nearly a quarter of the 700 million -- around 165 million people -- said they would like to settle.
In joint second were Britain, Canada and France, each being named as the preferred destination of around 45 million people."

AFP: Millions worldwide would like to switch countries: study
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 4,997 • Replies: 85
No top replies

 
Fido
 
  1  
Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2009 10:43 pm
@kennethamy,
All glitter and no gold... Of course, when you go about the world encouraging people to over breed, and you take what they need to survive, and tell them what a good place you are taking their lives to, it is only natural that they would like to come and find them... This place is just a ball room balls, and shiney on the outside and empty inside... I wonder how many people wake up in this place and ask themselves why in the hell they would ever have wanted to come here except as a desire born of ignorance...
0 Replies
 
Pangloss
 
  1  
Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 12:43 am
@kennethamy,
I'd sure like to live here over sub-saharan Africa. These results don't surprise me at all.
salima
 
  1  
Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 07:00 am
@kennethamy,
foreigners think america is the richest country-they think americans are the richest people. so anyone who wants to leave where they are will choose america because they want the most money they can get. simple as that. and they may also hate america and americans, but they love money more so they dont care. it's the dreamof everyone outside america-they believe the streets are paved with gold, etc...

so really all the poll shows is how many people really want money more than anything else in life. sorry i am a cynic, but that is what i have found so far.

---------- Post added 11-04-2009 at 06:32 PM ----------

would be an interesting poll how many americans want to leave and where would they go...lots of people are retiring and going elsewhere, but as far as i know mainly for the same reason-because they can get more for their money anywhere else. how funny...
0 Replies
 
kennethamy
 
  1  
Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 07:07 am
@Pangloss,
Pangloss;101686 wrote:
I'd sure like to live here over sub-saharan Africa. These results don't surprise me at all.


No, I understand why they would want to leave. But the question is, why America if it is supposed to be so bad? Why not China, or Russia, or Cuba, or, say North Korea? Not to mention Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, well, you fill in the list.

---------- Post added 11-04-2009 at 08:20 AM ----------

salima;101704 wrote:
foreigners think america is the richest country-they think americans are the richest people. so anyone who wants to leave where they are will choose america because they want the most money they can get. simple as that. and they may also hate america and americans, but they love money more so they dont care. it's the dreamof everyone outside america-they believe the streets are paved with gold, etc...

so really all the poll shows is how many people really want money more than anything else in life. sorry i am a cynic, but that is what i have found so far.

---------- Post added 11-04-2009 at 06:32 PM ----------

would be an interesting poll how many americans want to leave and where would they go...lots of people are retiring and going elsewhere, but as far as i know mainly for the same reason-because they can get more for their money anywhere else. how funny...


Do educated foreigners really believe what you say they believe? Aren't you slightly condescending? They are ignorant, and they are greedy, and that is why they would rather go to America than China, or Russian, or even India. Ameericans who retire, often want to go to warmer climes, where things are cheaper. But we are not talking about retirees in Africa, you know. We are talking about people who want to find a place where they can live a better life while working. So your comparison with American retirees is rather peculiar, don't you think?
Didymos Thomas
 
  1  
Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 07:24 am
@kennethamy,
Because America does a better PR job screaming pride and self-absorption. It's the same reason people are turned on by confidence in a potential mate.
kennethamy
 
  1  
Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 07:34 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;101710 wrote:
Because America does a better PR job screaming pride and self-absorption. It's the same reason people are turned on by confidence in a potential mate.


Yes, those poor, ignorant stupid "furriners". They really need a keeper. I know. How about building a wall so they cannot get out and hurt themselves by going to America?
Didymos Thomas
 
  1  
Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 07:40 am
@kennethamy,
Yeah, sorry I answered your question. Must be infuriating...
kennethamy
 
  1  
Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 07:49 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;101717 wrote:
Yeah, sorry I answered your question. Must be infuriating...


Not at all. Your answer is so dismissive of those "furriners" whom I am sure you believe you respect, that it is amusing. Where do you think they would be better off going? North Korea? Yemen?
0 Replies
 
salima
 
  1  
Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 07:51 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;101707 wrote:
No, I understand why they would want to leave. But the question is, why America if it is supposed to be so bad? Why not China, or Russia, or Cuba, or, say North Korea? Not to mention Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, well, you fill in the list.

---------- Post added 11-04-2009 at 08:20 AM ----------



Do educated foreigners really believe what you say they believe? Aren't you slightly condescending? They are ignorant, and they are greedy, and that is why they would rather go to America than China, or Russian, or even India. Ameericans who retire, often want to go to warmer climes, where things are cheaper. But we are not talking about retirees in Africa, you know. We are talking about people who want to find a place where they can live a better life while working. So your comparison with American retirees is rather peculiar, don't you think?


you are right to call me out for making a generalization. i know nothing at all about africa or anyone from africa. my main experience is six years in india living among indians and many of them who have lived in foreign countries, mainly arab ones. i should have confined my observations to that segment of people.

educated foreigners are no smarter or stupider than educated americans. but unfortunately they seem to make a judgement by what they see on television more than anything else. they believe everyone lives in huge mansions like many of the sitcoms-apparently they never saw roseanne. it wouldnt have been popular at all overseas anyway.

as far as comparing the group of people i am aware of who want to leave america, that wasnt my intention. i am mentioning them only because they are a group of americans that i know of who want to leave their land. for one thing, cost of medical care is so high in america nearly no one can live there safely after retirement. so it is still a question of money which makes them want to leave, though it isnt greed but a case of survival. i thought it was ironic.

i dont mean to be condescending, envy is part of human nature. if the shoe was on the other foot, the results would be the same. i have seen poor people-so far beyond the level of poverty imaginable in america-that dont know they are poor, dont consider themselves to be poor. but show them affluence, and they want it. i do believe few people are exceptions to this. and you see the very very rich, if there is one thing someone else has that they dont, they will have to have it. it isnt only a disease of the have-nots.
Didymos Thomas
 
  1  
Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 07:57 am
@salima,
kennethamy;101719 wrote:
Not at all. Your answer is so dismissive of those "furriners" whom I am sure you believe you respect, that it is amusing. Where do you think they would be better off going? North Korea? Yemen?


I'm sorry that you are so quick to make negative assumptions. I compared foreigners to all human beings who seek out sexual partners. That's hardly dismissive. Unless, of course, you think there's something wrong with those of us who enjoy sex.

And here's another assumption that you've made: you have it in your mind that I would suggest that these people go somewhere other than America. Maybe if you paid attention to what people wrote, rather than jump at the first angry knee jerk you get, you might notice that I never said people should go somewhere else had they the choice. This might just blow your mind, so brace yourself cause I'd hate for you to fall over and hurt your head: I actually love my country.

And by the way, "furriners" was your word, not mine. Thus, there is no reason to place quotations around the word in your own posts.
0 Replies
 
salima
 
  1  
Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 08:09 am
@kennethamy,
i always feel very sad when i hear indian people saying they want to go to america. a lot of them think i am crazy for coming here. i tell them all the things they dont know about their country that are worthwhile to me-but all of them, every one i have talked to so far, has had that gleam in their eye, the lust for gold. very few who go there ever come back, even when they intend to.

but when people have a terrible life in their own country, i can understand them wanting to leave and i dont think they would choose america in particular-they want to go anywhere they think they wont be killed. that is another reason for my believing that the people who answered the survey were motivated by greed.

i dont have any patriotic feelings for any country, i try to see the world without boundaries. as far as i am concerned, the whole world should have an open door policy. so i cant really maintain a practical point of view on the issues behind the poll.
kennethamy
 
  1  
Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 08:52 am
@salima,
salima;101722 wrote:
you are right to call me out for making a generalization. i know nothing at all about africa or anyone from africa. my main experience is six years in india living among indians and many of them who have lived in foreign countries, mainly arab ones. i should have confined my observations to that segment of people.

educated foreigners are no smarter or stupider than educated americans. but unfortunately they seem to make a judgement by what they see on television more than anything else. they believe everyone lives in huge mansions like many of the sitcoms-apparently they never saw roseanne. it wouldnt have been popular at all overseas anyway.

as far as comparing the group of people i am aware of who want to leave america, that wasnt my intention. i am mentioning them only because they are a group of americans that i know of who want to leave their land. for one thing, cost of medical care is so high in america nearly no one can live there safely after retirement. so it is still a question of money which makes them want to leave, though it isnt greed but a case of survival. i thought it was ironic.

i dont mean to be condescending, envy is part of human nature. if the shoe was on the other foot, the results would be the same. i have seen poor people-so far beyond the level of poverty imaginable in america-that dont know they are poor, dont consider themselves to be poor. but show them affluence, and they want it. i do believe few people are exceptions to this. and you see the very very rich, if there is one thing someone else has that they dont, they will have to have it. it isnt only a disease of the have-nots.


You don't think it could possibly be that they think that America is the best country to live in, do you? And that they may be better informed and smarter than you give them credit for? (I am retired, live in America, and get excellent medical care, and expect to continue to do so unless Obama ruins it, which he is making great efforts to do).
josh0335
 
  1  
Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 02:16 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;101742 wrote:
You don't think it could possibly be that they think that America is the best country to live in, do you? And that they may be better informed and smarter than you give them credit for? (I am retired, live in America, and get excellent medical care, and expect to continue to do so unless Obama ruins it, which he is making great efforts to do).


Surely the best country to live in is where your family is, your native tongue is spoken and where the culture is one you understand. It is definitely the desire for wealth. Why would you think America is the best country to live in? Were these people so well informed that they could tell the differences between living in USA vs Canada, Britain and France? No country in the world exports its culture like USA so it should come as no surprise that it's at the top of these polls.
Catchabula
 
  1  
Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 02:34 pm
@kennethamy,
Just wanted to mention this site, that may be of some relevance here:

How to Enable Cookies
kennethamy
 
  1  
Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 02:36 pm
@josh0335,
josh0335;101839 wrote:
Surely the best country to live in is where your family is, your native tongue is spoken and where the culture is one you understand. It is definitely the desire for wealth. Why would you think America is the best country to live in? Were these people so well informed that they could tell the differences between living in USA vs Canada, Britain and France? No country in the world exports its culture like USA so it should come as no surprise that it's at the top of these polls.


You think that the people who want to get to America from a few of the countries in the Sub-Sahara think that their country is the best country to live in? I just bet!
josh0335
 
  1  
Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 03:04 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;101847 wrote:
You think that the people who want to get to America from a few of the countries in the Sub-Sahara think that their country is the best country to live in? I just bet!


Not at all, I meant your home country should be the best one to live in provided you're not facing starvation or slaughter etc. But your point was that they choose America because it must be the best country to live in. But how would they know that without comparing against other countries? Like Catch's link, Denmark seems like a good place to live. Why didn't these people in the poll pick Denmark or Sweden or Japan? Did they compare living standards and opportunities of each nation and then make an informed decision on America? I think not. It is because America is the only superpower and the most active in exporting its culture.
Pangloss
 
  1  
Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 03:10 pm
@Catchabula,
Catchabula;101845 wrote:
Just wanted to mention this site, that may be of some relevance here:

How to Enable Cookies


In my opinion, this 'study' is meaningless; it claims to measure 'happiness levels', as if someone out there is enough of an expert to know how to accurately measure 'happiness'. Not to mention, the sample size is much too small to come up with any meaningful results, even if they could measure happiness.
0 Replies
 
kennethamy
 
  1  
Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 03:16 pm
@josh0335,
josh0335;101857 wrote:
Not at all, I meant your home country should be the best one to live in provided you're not facing starvation or slaughter etc. But your point was that they choose America because it must be the best country to live in. But how would they know that without comparing against other countries? Like Catch's link, Denmark seems like a good place to live. Why didn't these people in the poll pick Denmark or Sweden or Japan? Did they compare living standards and opportunities of each nation and then make an informed decision on America? I think not. It is because America is the only superpower and the most active in exporting its culture.


They believe it is. And, in my opinion, with a lot of justification. No one says they know it. Only that they want to go there more than they do any other country. In other words, they are voting with their feet. They do not seem to hate America. In fact, they seen to like America.

---------- Post added 11-04-2009 at 04:18 PM ----------

Pangloss;101862 wrote:
In my opinion, this 'study' is meaningless; it claims to measure 'happiness levels', as if someone out there is enough of an expert to know how to accurately measure 'happiness'. Not to mention, the sample size is much too small to come up with any meaningful results, even if they could measure happiness.


Where is the claim made to be able to measure happiness, for heaven's sake? So many straw-men.
Pangloss
 
  1  
Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 03:21 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;101865 wrote:
Where is the claim made to be able to measure happiness, for heaven's sake? So many straw-men.


Umm, right smack at the top of the article Catchabula posted, where it claims in plain english that Denmark is the world's happiest country. This is what I was responding to. Did you bother to click the link I was responding to before accusing me of a straw-man argument? Obviously not. :rolleyes:
 

Related Topics

T'Pring is Dead - Discussion by Brandon9000
Another Calif. shooting spree: 4 dead - Discussion by Lustig Andrei
Friends don't let friends fat-talk - Discussion by hawkeye10
Before you criticize the media - Discussion by Robert Gentel
Fatal Baloon Accident - Discussion by 33export
The Day Ferguson Cops Were Caught in a Bloody Lie - Discussion by bobsal u1553115
Robin Williams is dead - Discussion by Butrflynet
 
  1. Forums
  2. » Wonder why they don't hate America.
Copyright © 2019 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 10/21/2019 at 11:24:21