The Confederacy was About Slavery

Setanta

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2015 05:25 am
Americans constantly misstate or completely screw up the sense of the Constitution. It is hilarious to see someone who knows so little act as though he knows so much. "Whites" are never mentioned in the Constitution. Slaves are never mentioned in the constitution (only in the text of the XIIIth amendment is slavery mentioned). Indentured servants are never mentioned in the Constitution. These two passages are the only passages in the Constitution (prior to the XIIIth amendment mentioned by Walter) which pertained to the "peculiar institution," and the use of the term "Persons" was understood by all to refer to slaves of African descent, while allowing the people of non-slave-holding states a fig leaf to cover their shame:

Article One, Section Nine, the first paragraph reads, in its entirety:

The Migration or Importation of such Persons as any of the States now existing shall think proper to admit, shall not be prohibited by the Congress prior to the Year one thousand eight hundred and eight, but a Tax or duty may be imposed on such Importation, not exceeding ten dollars for each Person.

The enabling legislation to meet this provision was passed late in 1807.

Article Four, Section Two, the final paragraph, reads, in its entirety:

No Person held to Service or Labour in one State, under the Laws thereof, escaping into another, shall, in Consequence of any Law or Regulation therein, be discharged from such Service or Labour, but shall be delivered up on Claim of the Party to whom such Service or Labour may be due.

Fugitive Slave Acts were passed in 1793 and 1850, in what proved to be a futile attempt to secure the cooperation local authorities in "free" states in the apprehension of runaway slaves. Such runaways were usually only delivered up by private citizens who made a business of offering them sanctuary, and then handing them over to southern bounty hunters for a considerable fee.

Looking up the text of the constitution ain't rocket science--it just slays me that both foreigners and Americans post such utter BS on the contents of that document.
farmerman

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2015 08:08 am
@Setanta,
well we cant have you getting "slayed" all the time, now can we?
parados

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2015 08:20 am
@hawkeye10,
Are you really trying to argue that the North dummied up the secession documents for the South after the war?

The South clearly mentions slavery in it's original documents for secession. The colonies never mention indentured servitude in any of it's original documents citing reasons for the war. You may argue how much slavery was involved but you can't argue that they slavery was never mentioned.
parados

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2015 08:26 am
@Ionus,
Do the documents mention slavery or not? I didn't say anything about it being the only reason. I only stated that it is mentioned as a reason. My use of the indefinite article would be a clue for anyone with knowledge of the English language that I at no time said it was the only reason. I guess if you want to completely ignore how language works you can make any argument you want to.

Maybe this will help you -
http://www.englishteachermelanie.com/grammar-articles-indefinite-vs-definite-articles/
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2015 09:19 am
@parados,
Any of the "slant" that Anus put on what was said about slavery and the Constitution was "INTERPRETED" not stated. The fact is that the concept pf slavery (as defined by that word was NEVER mentioned anywhere in the USC.

Im going to look for where the original bill of seccesion for (at least) S Carolina resides (maybe in the US archives). Im certain that their date of seccession nd their argument for slavery as their "Heritge" was on the document that was official as of Dec ( exact date?) 1860.
Foofie

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2015 09:35 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

Not even close . If you would kindly go away and read about indenture and what actually happened, then you wont be here making a fool of yourself by guessing . Chat when you get back .

You are not explaining yourself. Are you saying that people were indentured against their will? They came here in chains to fulfill an indenture contract? Both are not so. Then what are you alluding to in your masterfully wise, yet mysterious way? And certainly indentured servants were not sold "down the river" that broke up indentured families. Whipping. Were indentured servants whipped?

In fact, many of those on the Mayflower were folks arriving to fulfill an indenture contract. Their way to pay for passage to the New World.

And, your offer to "chat when" I get back is offensive. It implies many have enough in common with me to deserve chatting. I don't chat with strangers with a very different set of experiences. Chatting is so f*cking bourgeois.

Your profile states that you are Australian. I find it hard to believe you were taught American history like an American. Australia has its own sins to deal with relative to its aboriginal population, and you want to perceive slavery equal to indenture? Take your own advice and "kindly go away."
parados

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2015 09:42 am
@farmerman,
I decided to search for the document for South Carolina. In their secession document they complain that the northern states are not returning slaves because they have enacted laws nullifying Congressional acts. Because of that nullification by those states South Carolina feels they can no longer be part of the union.
http://avalon.law.yale.edu/19th_century/csa_scarsec.asp

The interesting thing I found was that South Carolina had passed a law to nullify Congressional acts less than 30 years earlier.
http://avalon.law.yale.edu/19th_century/ordnull.asp

The Georgia secession documents mention slavery.
http://avalon.law.yale.edu/19th_century/csa_geosec.asp

Mississippi is pretty clear that it is slavery that causes them to leave the union.
Quote:
There was no choice left us but submission to the mandates of abolition, or a dissolution of the Union, whose principles had been subverted to work out our ruin. That we do not overstate the dangers to our institution, a reference to a few facts will sufficiently prove.

http://www.civilwar.org/education/history/primarysources/declarationofcauses.html#Mississippi
farmerman

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2015 10:07 am
@parados,
yep, you right about S C. I misremembered . I should aways look **** up first.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2015 12:30 pm
@Setanta,
Early in this thread there are lots of good quotes worth revisiting.

Setanta wrote:

You're peddling a typical southern apologia, too. The fact that a minority of Southerners owned slaves doesn't alter the fact that the war was about slavery. That a minute handful of blacks owned slaves doesn't alter the fact that the war was about slavery. I didn't see where Snood said that it was "about white slave owners." Perhaps you can quote that passage for me.

To claim that slavery was a minor issue is to willfully ignore the central issue of the actions of the Southern states. I made the points about the fight at Pensacola, in Charleston harbor and the formation of the Confederacy in Montgomery, Alabama--all occurring before Lincoln was inaugurated precisely because it was a unique reaction to an election. On more than one occasion before 1860, people whom Southerners did not approve of were elected President. So why did they have this reaction in 1860? The answer is obvious. The effect of the Lincoln-Douglas debates was not only to ruin the political prospects of Stephen Douglas in the future, it was also to make Lincoln the boogeyman to slave owners. The reaction of the mob in Pensacola, of the seven states in Montgomery and the authorities in South Carolina was clearly an hysterical reaction to the election of a man they saw as the standard bearer for abolition.

The South did not go to war over the tariff, the only other deeply divisive issue between North and South, and one which had been on the boil for generations. If you allege that there were more important issues than slavery, what were they? What is your evidence that these states started a war in 1860 because of those issues, and not because of slavery.

You're not this stupid--you do yourself a disservice to peddle this horseshit.
coldjoint

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2015 01:16 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Early in this thread there are lots of good quotes worth revisiting.

0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2015 01:17 pm
One thing that I dont think has been mentioned is that in the 30 years before the war there had been a fast run up in the value of slaves. Slave owners knew that their balance sheets would be toast if the slaves were removed and they were not compensated, which was not going to happen because the nation did not have the funds to do it. in 1860 I believe that a good field hand was going for about $2,000.

http://eh.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/ransom.civil_.war_.us_.figure1.jpg

Powerful people in the South had no choice but to oppose the freeing of slaves id there was to be no compensation to the slave owners.
farmerman

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2015 02:42 pm
@hawkeye10,
you do know why that was dont you?
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2015 02:57 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

you do know why that was dont you?

What is "that"? The explosion in the value of slaves? No, but if I had to guess I would say that slave owners were freeing too many slaves, that there was not enough new blood being brought over from Africa to replace them. IE supply and demand.
farmerman

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2015 03:36 pm
@hawkeye10,
youre close. What if the law stated that importation of slaves was no longer allowed or that no ships that would be slave carriers could be built?

Demand exceeds supply no?
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2015 04:27 pm
@farmerman,
Sounds to me that pre war when people in the southern states claimed that Washington was out to destroy their wealth and way of live that they had a point. And we know that originally the North did not go to war over slavery, it was to hold the country together. This claim that the war was all about slavery sounds like politically driven revisionist history. The war was about what ever motivated the people who fought to war to go to war, the reasons cannot rightfully be tacked on years/decades/centuries later in an effort to boost the biases of the descendants of those who did the fighting and deciding .
parados

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2015 04:32 pm
@hawkeye10,
So stop trying to tack on reasons decades later. The states were pretty clear in their statements at the time. Slavery was a very large reason why.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2015 04:34 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

So stop trying to tack on reasons decades later. The states were pretty clear in their statements at the time. Slavery was a very large reason why.

so was states rights.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2015 04:43 pm
Quote:
Hundreds of thousands of slaves freed during the American civil war died from disease and hunger after being liberated, according to a new book.

The analysis, by historian Jim Downs of Connecticut College, casts a shadow over one of the most celebrated narratives of American history, which sees the freeing of the slaves as a triumphant righting of the wrongs of a southern plantation system that kept millions of black Americans in chains.

But, as Downs shows in his book, Sick From Freedom, the reality of emancipation during the chaos of war and its bloody aftermath often fell brutally short of that positive image. Instead, freed slaves were often neglected by union soldiers or faced rampant disease, including horrific outbreaks of smallpox and cholera. Many of them simply starved to death.

After combing through obscure records, newspapers and journals Downs believes that about a quarter of the four million freed slaves either died or suffered from illness between 1862 and 1870. He writes in the book that it can be considered "the largest biological crisis of the 19th century" and yet it is one that has been little investigated by contemporary historians.

Downs believes much of that is because at the time of the civil war, which raged between 1861 and 1865 and pitted the unionist north against the confederate south, many people did not want to investigate the tragedy befalling the freed slaves. Many northerners were little more sympathetic than their southern opponents when it came to the health of the freed slaves and anti-slavery abolitionists feared the disaster would prove their critics right.

"In the 19th century people did not want to talk about it. Some did not care and abolitionists, when they saw so many freed people dying, feared that it proved true what some people said: that slaves were not able to exist on their own," Downs told the Observer.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/jun/16/slavery-starvation-civil-war

Ya, dont hold your breath waiting for the historians to care about this inconvenient truth, if it is indeed the truth. Kinda sounds like what we did to Iraq after we won that war doesn't it....
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2015 06:46 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
well we cant have you getting "slayed" all the time, now can we?

Let's all get in line to kiss his ass. All together now.
http://www.alien-earth.com/images/smileys/rofl.gifhttp://www.alien-earth.com/images/smileys/rofl.gifhttp://www.alien-earth.com/images/smileys/rofl.gif
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2015 06:56 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

Those who defend the right of people to display the confederate flag, and decry the "pride in heritage" indicated thereby, and do civil war reenactments, and generally lionize the Confederacy and its memory, seem always to be in denial that the war was fought because some wanted to preserve the right to enslave. The following is taken from an article from Salon Magazine by Michael Lind. If there are any here on A2K who deny the centrality of slavery in the motives of the secessionists, who want to bury any mention of that ugly truth beneath some obfuscated twaddle about state's rights, I'd like to direct their attention, and encourage them to please reply, to this. Especially to the quote from the Vice-President of the Confederacy, taken from a speech in which he clearly states what the confederacy is based on:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For generations, apologists for the Confederacy have claimed that secession was really about the tariff, or states’ rights, or something else -- anything other than preserving the right of some human beings to own, buy and sell other human beings.

That being the case, the education of schoolchildren in my state should include a reading of the Cornerstone Speech made by Alexander Stephens, the vice-president of the Confederacy, on March 21, 1861. With remarkable candor, Stephens pointed out that whereas the United States was founded on the idea, enshrined in Thomas Jefferson’s Declaration of Independence, that "all men are created equal," the new Confederacy was founded on the opposite conception:

The prevailing ideas entertained by [Thomas Jefferson] and most of the leading statesmen at the time of the formation of the old constitution, were that the enslavement of the African was in violation of the laws of nature; that it was wrong in principle, socially, morally, and politically ... Those ideas, however, were fundamentally wrong. They rested upon the assumption of the equality of races. This was an error. It was a sandy foundation, and the government built upon it fell when the "storm came and the wind blew."

Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; its foundations are laid, its corner-stone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery subordination to the superior race is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth.

I grew up in the pacific northwest. I would see the confederate flag every now and then. A lot of these people were also born and raised in the PNW so I always safely assumed it was racial as to why they branded the flag. How can you have southern pride if you were born and raised in the PNW?

But at the same time I do think it has some grey areas, because not all who brandish the flag are racist, but just a good portion are. For me, I just see it as a flag, it doesn't offend me. I think it is silly to be offended by outward displays of hatred or prejudice. It's like saying, "Hey you can't be racist, put that flag away!" Seems silly.

To me a flag is just a flag, nothing special. I don't empower any flags with some underline meaning or symbolism. Not even the american flag. I don't have pride in a flag. I would much rather have pride in the people who made the country and continue to make the country rather than the flag. But at the same time, I think flags segregate. They distinguish groups and isn't it time we do away with this whole group/tribe thing.

Why do we need to have nations, countries? Why can't we just be the human race? Why must we continue do divide ourselves? This can only continue with the discrimination. Flags in general promote discrimination regardless of what they represent.