The Confederacy was About Slavery

Ionus

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 05:03 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Well it appears that Anus is more and more coming to my points
??????bewildering....your point was the Indians were mistreated which has nothing to do with my point that the USA had no respect for the legal status of other nations, be they British, Indian, Confederate, Mexican or Spanish....there are always minor reasons, and slavery was one of the minor reasons for the Civil War but why didnt they let the South secede ? They didnt kill of more people as a precent of their pop then all the other wars combined just to free the black man. Their track record with Indians later proves they didnt give a rats about human rights, depsite a major trend in all their legal documents indicating that the rights of the individual were increasing.
Quote:
As he had originally ignored the way things actually occured in our delaings with Indians
You are delusional. You introduced this treatment question tot ake away attention from your poor performance on the main topic. Hide and bluff...your hallmark debating skills.
Quote:
My work is done here.
Are you leaving AGAIN ? Let me guess...you are only going to sleep ?
Rockhead

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 05:05 pm
@Ionus,
all the kiwi blustering in the world does not change history.

the war was about slavery.

and the business of slavery.

and the new states being free states.

slavery.

and when the war was over, lots of the haters went out west and fought injuns...
Ionus

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 05:06 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
As long as expansion was being organized into lsavery and non slavery states.
It was being organised so to limit the power of the south. No-one cared about slavery. The poor in the north and south were too busy surviving and someone previously in this thread had the gall to say an anti-slavery message played to packed theatres. This is clear ignorance as to the demographics of the time.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 05:09 pm
@High Seas,
Quote:
Well, duh, that's what "manifest destiny" means - "terra nullius" is legalese for the same thing.
I explained at length what terra nullis means and it has nothing to do with manifest destiny.
Quote:
If never a single slave had ever been imported into the Americas, would the Indians have been treated any better than they were?
The first slaves were indians. The Carib int he Caribbean ceased to exist due to a policy of slavery and extermination.
Ionus

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 05:11 pm
@High Seas,
Quote:
P.S. legal note, North America was never officially "terra nullius"
You missed the whole point of what is terra nullis.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 05:18 pm
@panzade,
Quote:
But I don't see any evidence to disprove Snood's contention that the Civil War (Confederacy)was about the struggle to control slavery.
I mentioned this earlier, that if the Civil War was about slavery why was the USA President reluctant to free them ? I think he said if he could have fought the war without freeing the slaves then he would have.

I think the whole concept of fighting their bloodiest war ever and against their own people at that has led to revisionists saying it was for a good a noble cause when clearly it wasnt. One continent, one nation was driving it...and it drove the wars with Britain, Mexico, Spain.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 05:21 pm
@Ionus,
the reason he could not fight the war without freeing the slaves was...

get ready for this...

because slavery is all mixed up in what made it happen.

doh.
Pemerson

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 05:50 pm
@Ionus,
Ionus, you may be right, but you'll have to prove it. I don't think so. The people who eventually slaughtered the American Indians were never successful at forcing them to be slaves. They may have tried to tame them. I know that the Cherokee (some of my ancestors) eventually lived in colonial homes, printed their own newspaper, were master farmers, but they were forced on that march to dry and dead land in Oklahoma anyway.
panzade

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 06:03 pm
@Ionus,
Quote:
I think he said if he could have fought the war without freeing the slaves then he would have.

I think it was "If I can preserve the Union...
He wasn't reluctant to free the slaves so much as he felt the burden of preserving the US. But that in itself doesn't cancel snood's posit
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 06:13 pm
Well, fighting the war resulted in freedom for the slaves. So, from then and forevermore, it will be a war known for abolishment of slavery.
Ionus

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 06:57 pm
@Rockhead,
Quote:
all the kiwi blustering in the world does not change history.
All the throw away statements in the world dont change history.
Quote:
the war was about slavery.
The war was about many things, slavery was one of them. But the war was not fought solely to end slavery, or even as the primary reason. It was to preserve the USA as one continent, one nation.
Ionus

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 07:01 pm
@Rockhead,
Quote:
because slavery is all mixed up in what made it happen.
I have agreed to this, and your statement of this is doing what ? I maintain that slavery was NOT the primary reason for the Civil War. If people want to feel like do-gooders and that somehow if the war was fought to free the slaves that this makes up for slavery, then go ahead.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 07:01 pm
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:
It was to preserve the USA as one continent, one nation.

Given that the U.S. was not / is not the only country on the continent, that makes on the other side of no sense.
Ionus

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 07:10 pm
@Pemerson,
You have assumed I am talking about all indians. I gave the specific example of the carib. Like wise, Aztecs were also sold as slaves. Few east coast or Plains indians were sold as slaves to white men, though some tribes did keep enemy prisoners as slaves, it was never on anything but a very small scale.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 07:11 pm
@Pemerson,
Quote:
Well, fighting the war resulted in freedom for the slaves. So, from then and forevermore, it will be a war known for abolishment of slavery.
And I find nothing wrong with that statement.
Ionus

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 07:13 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Quote:
It was to preserve the USA as one continent, one nation.

Given that the U.S. was not / is not the only country on the continent, that makes on the other side of no sense.
What you are saying makes no sense. You think because it wasnt entirely sucessful it was never attempted ?
farmerman

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 07:13 pm
@Ionus,
Quote:
At the beginning of the War President Lincoln resisted "both the antislavery and the proslavery extremists," wrote historian Richard N. Current. "On the one hand, he opposed the abolitionists of the Garrisonian type, 'those who would shiver into fragments the Union of these States; tear to tatters its now venerated constitution; and even burn the last copy of the Bible, rather than slavery should continue a single hour.' On the other hand, he opposed the propagandists of the Calhounian line, those 'who, for the sake of perpetuating slavery, are beginning to assail and to ridicule the white-man's charter of freedom " the declaration that 'all men are created free and equal.'"3

Historian Current wrote: "Evil though slavery was, Lincoln tolerated it for at least three reasons. First, the Constitution gave the federal government no power to proceed against slavery within the states. In some states, slavery was already well established at the time the Constitution was adopted; these states would never have agreed to the new Union had they not had reason to believe that slavery would continue to be safe inside it. Thus the very Union that Lincoln loved had been made possible by forbearance with regard to this particular evil. Second, even if the federal government possessed the power to abolish slavery, and even if that power could be exercised without danger to the Union, abolition would create more problems than it would solve. Freeing the slaves would set loose millions of people who, with no experience in making their own way, would face the crippling handicap of deep and widespread prejudice. For the good of the Negroes as well as the whites, it seemed to Lincoln that slavery should be eliminated only very gradually. The Negroes, as they were freed, could be resettled outside the United States " in Africa, the West Indies, or Central America, where their color would be no bar to their future success and happiness. Third, there was no need to take positive action against slavery, for the institution would eventually die of its own weight if it was confined to the southern states. That was why the Founding Fathers could reconcile themselves to the continued presence of bondage in the land of the free. Lincoln, like the Fathers, was willing to wait."4

Ronald C. White Jr. wrote in Lincoln's Greatest Speech wrote: "Lincoln's challenge as president was how to balance his opposition to slavery and his fidelity to the Constitution. He was aware that there was a certain truth in [William Lloyd] Garrison's charge that the Constitution was a compromise document that allowed slavery in the South. Lincoln had, however, argued at Cooper Union in 1860 that the founders were united in opposing the spread of slavery to the new territories. He came to believe that the founders believed or hoped that slavery would one day become extinct."5 So did Mr. Lincoln.

Historian Hans L. Trefousse wrote: "It is true that Lincoln never, prior to 1862, advocated federal action to end slavery in the states where it existed. Constitutional obligations were important to him, and he hoped that putting an end to the expansion of the institution would in the end cause its demise in the South."6 "It would do no good to go ahead, any faster than the country," President Lincoln told the Rev. Charles Edwards Lester, himself an emancipation advocate. Mr. Lincoln made his comments after he reversed General John C. Frémont order of emancipation in Missouri in the summer of 1861: "I think [Massachusetts Senator Charles] Sumner and the rest of you would upset our applecart altogether if you had your way. We'll fetch 'em; just give us a little time. We didn't go into the war to put down slavery, but to put the flag back, and to act differ at this moment, would, I have no doubt, not only weaken our cause but smack of bad faith; for I never should have had votes enough to send me here if the people had supposed I should try to use my power to upset slavery. Why, the first thing you'd see, would be a mutiny in the army. No, we must wait until every other means has been exhausted. This thunderbolt will keep."7

re; remembering the Cooper Union speech and thereafter
panzade

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 07:16 pm
@farmerman,
That confirms my hunch about Lincoln moving so slowly in regards to ending slavery.
farmerman

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 07:18 pm
@panzade,
**** the Civil war, who's watching the FLYERS GAME??
panzade

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 07:19 pm
@farmerman,
It's intermission clown!. Besides, the Flyerss............................SCOOOOOOOOOOOOORE!
0 Replies