Israel Kills 10 in Palestinian Aid Convoy

Ionus

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 11:56 pm
@JTT,
You cant see past your own hate and bitterness, can you sweety ?
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 12:05 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

Quote:
What about the fact that the IDF had already dropped stun grenades and fired their guns prior to boarding?
Wouldnt they have dropped real grenades if they wanted to kill ? Wouldnt they have shot someone first up ? They were attacked for some time before the Israelis fired shots to kill. How badly do you have to hate Israelis to want to kill them with an iron bars and knives when they have automatic weapons ?

The Israelis attacked. They can't claim self defense. Firing off shots and dropping grenades on people only escalated the situation. I've got little sympathy for them in this situation. It's called falling on your own sword, and it seems in your zeal, you're looking for room to fall on it too.

(Don't worry, it's a long blade, you'll fit.)

A
R
T
Ionus

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 12:17 am
@failures art,
Quote:
Don't worry, it's a long blade, you'll fit.
Your concern is touching.
Perhaps the Israelis agravated the situation by not pulling the ship over earlier and giving them time to fashion weapons whilst working themselves into a lather. They had time to say let the Israelis board and no-one will get hurt but they chose to go with the line that let the Israelis board and we will kill them. How do you think the stun grenades should be thought of ? Retroactively by the first radio call ?
Quote:
It's called falling on your own sword, and it seems in your zeal, you're looking for room to fall on it too.
My zeal is about you choosing the side of the underdog every time so you can feel good about yourself, regardless.
Perhaps you should regard armed Police as provoking weapon assaults.

failures art

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 12:27 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

Quote:
Don't worry, it's a long blade, you'll fit.
Your concern is touching.
Perhaps the Israelis agravated the situation by not pulling the ship over earlier and giving them time to fashion weapons whilst working themselves into a lather. They had time to say let the Israelis board and no-one will get hurt but they chose to go with the line that let the Israelis board and we will kill them. How do you think the stun grenades should be thought of ? Retroactively by the first radio call ?
Quote:
It's called falling on your own sword, and it seems in your zeal, you're looking for room to fall on it too.
My zeal is about you choosing the side of the underdog every time so you can feel good about yourself, regardless.

Underdog? If I'm to believe any of the bullshit that falls out of your head, the poor poor IDF was merely defending itself and they were they underdogs for being outnumbered by so many people "lathering" and brandishing such barbaric weapons. Total piss.

The IDF messed up. It's simple. A fight was not inevitable, it was thee product of an over-aggressive assault/raid on the boat. Defending them blindly as you are is idiotic.

A
R
T
Ionus

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 01:31 am
@failures art,
Quote:
bullshit that falls out of your head ....Total piss.....Defending them blindly as you are is idiotic.
Now arty, you know you lose when it turns into a slanging match. Just because you think of yourself as righteous doesnt mean you are right. You have an obligation to defend your logic not decalre yourself a leftist therefore unassailably right.
Quote:
A fight was not inevitable,
Then why did the fundamentalists prepare fot it hours earlier ? They could have stopped and been boarded then. Why dont you address the real issue ?
failures art

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 01:42 am
@Ionus,
I provided a multiple account source which builds the timeline of events. Nowhere, under any account, do the people prepare hours in advance. Provide a verifiable source. Otherwise, I accept your retraction.

I'm dealing in facts Io. I don't have to slow down and hold your hand through this process.

A
R
T
oralloy

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 11:21 pm
@failures art,
failures art wrote:
Ionus wrote:
Then it takes a great deal of discipline not to pull out your gun and shoot someone who is stabbing you or beating you with an iron bar or throwing you overboard.

What about the fact that the IDF had already dropped stun grenades and fired their guns prior to boarding?

How is that relevant?

It is a virtual certainty that any guns fired at that point would have been the non-lethal paintball guns, not the handguns. But in any case, I don't see why it matters.

If you go to a war zone and intentionally try to run a blockade, there is a fair chance of having soldiers shoot at you.

failures art wrote:
The case for self defense sides with the people on the ship.

That is unlikely. They were smugglers intentionally trying to run a blockade. It is hard to see how they can possibly claim self defense.
oralloy

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 11:21 pm
@failures art,
failures art wrote:
Ionus wrote:
failures art wrote:

Wouldnt they have dropped real grenades if they wanted to kill ? Wouldnt they have shot someone first up ? They were attacked for some time before the Israelis fired shots to kill. How badly do you have to hate Israelis to want to kill them with an iron bars and knives when they have automatic weapons ?

The Israelis attacked. They can't claim self defense.

They can claim they were soldiers engaging in a lawful act of war however.

failures art wrote:
Firing off shots and dropping grenades on people only escalated the situation.

I disagree. The situation was escalated when the smugglers tried to evade the blockade.

Having sailors enforce the blockade was a natural consequence of that.
oralloy

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 11:23 pm
@failures art,
failures art wrote:
Ionus wrote:
failures art wrote:

Underdog? If I'm to believe any of the bullshit that falls out of your head, the poor poor IDF was merely defending itself and they were they underdogs for being outnumbered by so many people "lathering" and brandishing such barbaric weapons. Total piss.

It is certainly true that had those soldiers allowed themselves to be overrun by that lynch mob they would have been murdered.

I think you misread Ionus' post however. He was calling the Palestinians the underdog, and was saying that this underdog status is the reason that you side with them. (At least as I read his post.)

failures art wrote:
The IDF messed up. It's simple. A fight was not inevitable, it was thee product of an over-aggressive assault/raid on the boat. Defending them blindly as you are is idiotic.

The fight was the product of the attempt to smuggle contraband past the blockade. The raid on the boat was just a consequence of the smuggling attempt.
msolga

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 03:14 am
This sounds like a possible improvement on the situation, but let's see the details first, so we know for sure. What does this actually mean for the people living in the Gaza strip? Let's see what the definition of "civilian goods" actually means. And let's see what international agencies make of this, too. :

Quote:
Israel to ease Gaza blockade
Updated 28 minutes ago
http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/201006/r576870_3600181.jpg
Israel has faced mounting calls to lift the blockade following its botched raid on an aid flotilla (AFP: Menahem Kahana)

Israel's security cabinet has decided to ease a Gaza land blockade following an international outcry over a deadly raid on an aid flotilla.

The announcement appeared to indicate that Israel would allow international organisations, such as the United Nations, to import previously banned building materials, vital to reconstruction after the December 2008-January 2009 Gaza war.

"It was agreed to liberalise the system by which civilian goods enter Gaza [and] expand the inflow of materials for civilian projects that are under international supervision," an official statement said, without specifying any product list.

The security cabinet, which began its discussions on Wednesday on easing the embargo, noted that "existing security procedures to prevent the inflow of weapons and war material" would continue.

The announcement made no mention of any lifting of Israel's sea blockade of the enclave, run by Hamas Islamists.

Israel faced mounting international calls to ease or lift its Gaza embargo following the killing by Israeli commandos of nine pro-Palestinian Turkish activists during the interception at sea of an an aid convoy on May 31.

Israeli leaders said the troops acted in self defence after being swarmed by activists who attacked them and that the blockade is necessary to prevent arms smuggling to Hamas.

Israel imposed the blockade soon after Hamas, which has rejected Western calls to recognise its right to exist, won a Palestinian legislative election in 2006.

Restrictions were tightened after Hamas seized power in Gaza the following year.

- Reuters

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/06/17/2930025.htm
failures art

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 03:44 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

failures art wrote:
Ionus wrote:
Then it takes a great deal of discipline not to pull out your gun and shoot someone who is stabbing you or beating you with an iron bar or throwing you overboard.

How is that relevant?

It is a virtual certainty that any guns fired at that point would have been the non-lethal paintball guns, not the handguns. But in any case, I don't see why it matters.

Even if it was the paint guns (the commandos own account does not make this claim), it's not like you come under fire and are like: "Calm down everyone! did anyone check to see if it's paint?" What a stupid notion.

oralloy wrote:

If you go to a war zone and intentionally try to run a blockade, there is a fair chance of having soldiers shoot at you.

And if you storm a vessel in international waters, you're violating piracy laws. I'd imagine if you board a vessel, the people on board will defend themselves with whatever they have too.

oralloy wrote:

failures art wrote:

That is unlikely. They were smugglers intentionally trying to run a blockade. It is hard to see how they can possibly claim self defense.

Keep embarrassing yourself here. The IDF found nothing. They weren't smuggling any weapons.

A
R
T
failures art

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 03:50 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

failures art wrote:
Ionus wrote:
failures art wrote:

They can claim it, but it won't make it true. An act of war certainly, but lawful, hardly.

oralloy wrote:

failures art wrote:

I disagree. The situation was escalated when the smugglers tried to evade the blockade.

The facts prove they weren't smugglers.

oralloy wrote:

Having sailors enforce the blockade was a natural consequence of that.

Bad policies where you use your guns to think breeds the only "natural consequence" I see here.

A
R
T
failures art

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 03:58 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

failures art wrote:
Ionus wrote:
failures art wrote:

It is certainly true that had those soldiers allowed themselves to be overrun by that lynch mob they would have been murdered.

Am I supposed to feel sorry for these soldiers? They created this situation, and they fell on their own sword. Bad ideas with the seed of their own destruction sewn.

oralloy wrote:

I think you misread Ionus' post however. He was calling the Palestinians the underdog, and was saying that this underdog status is the reason that you side with them. (At least as I read his post.)

Who said I side with Palestine? If Ionus and you think this issue is black and white or pick-a-enemy, you're ******* idiots. The truth is that both sides of this conflict make stupid moves. I support Israel's existence, but that doesn't mean that I turn my head when they do unethical things. I condemn any action by either side that harms the two-state solution or further destabilizes the region. This incident was very clearly a **** up on Israel's behalf. It's indefensible.

oralloy wrote:

failures art wrote:

The fight was the product of the attempt to smuggle contraband past the blockade. The raid on the boat was just a consequence of the smuggling attempt.

You've obviously no actual understanding of this situation since you've now referred to them as smugglers three times. I was perhaps mistaken, when I assumed you wished to be taken seriously.

A
R
T
msolga

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 04:06 am
@oralloy,
Quote:

The peace flotilla was a direct challenge to the blockade of the Gaza strip by Israel. And it was very successful (in terms of changing world opinion, reminding people of the situation in Gaza) in its goal.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 06:20 am
@failures art,
failures art wrote:
oralloy wrote:

And if you storm a vessel in international waters, you're violating piracy laws.

No you aren't. Piracy laws refer only to people acting without government authorization.

The soldiers here were acting on orders of the Israeli government.

This attack is properly classed as "a lawful act of war".

failures art wrote:
I'd imagine if you board a vessel, the people on board will defend themselves with whatever they have too.

I'd imagine that violently attacking soldiers in the middle of a war zone is always likely to have the same outcome.

failures art wrote:
oralloy wrote:
failures art wrote:

Keep embarrassing yourself here. The IDF found nothing. They weren't smuggling any weapons.

A
R
T

I'm not even close to embarrassment.

The IDF found a large quantity of illegal cement. But even if there had been no contraband, the IDF was not able to know that until they boarded the ship and searched it. At the time of the shootout, all the Israelis knew was that there were people trying to run the blockade.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 06:21 am
@failures art,
failures art wrote:
oralloy wrote:
failures art wrote:
Ionus wrote:
failures art wrote:

They can claim it, but it won't make it true. An act of war certainly, but lawful, hardly.

No, blockades are perfectly legal acts of war.

failures art wrote:
oralloy wrote:
failures art wrote:

The facts prove they weren't smugglers.

That is incorrect. The facts show that these people were quite clearly trying to bring cargo to Gaza without the Israelis inspecting it for contraband.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 06:22 am
@failures art,
failures art wrote:
oralloy wrote:
failures art wrote:
Ionus wrote:
failures art wrote:

Am I supposed to feel sorry for these soldiers?

Well, they proved capable of defending themselves from the lynch mob, so I guess sympathy is not necessary.

failures art wrote:
They created this situation, and they fell on their own sword. Bad ideas with the seed of their own destruction sewn.

No, the smugglers created the situation when they tried to prevent Israel from inspecting the cargo.

The Israeli soldiers certainly didn't fall on their sword. The sergeant who single-handedly killed six of the smugglers is up for a medal of valor for his heroism.

failures art wrote:
oralloy wrote:

Who said I side with Palestine? If Ionus and you think this issue is black and white or pick-a-enemy, you're ******* idiots. The truth is that both sides of this conflict make stupid moves. I support Israel's existence, but that doesn't mean that I turn my head when they do unethical things. I condemn any action by either side that harms the two-state solution or further destabilizes the region. This incident was very clearly a **** up on Israel's behalf. It's indefensible.

The incident seems OK to me. None of the Israeli soldiers were killed. The cargo was inspected. The contraband was seized.

I personally would have just torpedoed the ships when they refused to be boarded, but the way Israel did it worked out OK.

failures art wrote:
oralloy wrote:
failures art wrote:

You've obviously no actual understanding of this situation since you've now referred to them as smugglers three times. I was perhaps mistaken, when I assumed you wished to be taken seriously.

A
R
T

No misunderstanding. These people were trying to bring cargo to Gaza without it being inspected for contraband. That makes them smugglers.
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 06:56 am
Oralloy - Cement, eh? That's the best you can do? You're pathetic.

You're not entitled to your own facts. You've offered nothing relevant to contribute here.

A
R
T
oralloy

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 07:59 am
@failures art,
failures art wrote:
Oralloy - Cement, eh?

Yes.

failures art wrote:
That's the best you can do?

Yes. Pointing out the truth is usually what I do best.

failures art wrote:
You're pathetic.

Not really.

failures art wrote:
You're not entitled to your own facts.

Luckily I am quite at home with the real facts, and so do not have any need to have different facts.

failures art wrote:
You've offered nothing relevant to contribute here.

A
R
T

That is incorrect. Pointing out that Israel was acting entirely legally and appropriately is a highly relevant contribution.
JTT

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 12:10 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Pointing out the truth is usually what I do best.

Now that's hilarious, Oralboy. You point out carefully crafted bits of propaganda interspersed with nuggets of truthiness.