Oddities and Humor

roger

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 08:30 pm
@Letty,
Me too! Wish I could remember the date. July or August, anyway.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 04:49 am
Caught a portion of the Family Guy season finale. My thought: If I wanted to see Star Wars I would have watched the actual movie, not a lame parody.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 07:51 am
A local story here

Quote:
Rennie tells Global News he will likely be giving his notice to work on Tuesday

"Likely be giving his notice"? I wouldn't even need to think about it for that kind of money! Doh!

-------------

Campbell River man wins millions
Vancouver/CKNW (AM980)
Alison Bailey
5/22/2011

A Campbell River man is $35.7 million richer after winning Friday's Lotto Max.

Dave Rennie works for a steel company in the Vancouver Island city.

He says he couldn't believe it when he found out he had the winning ticket.

"When I went there to check it, the whole machine crashed, the guy's like 'you won!' I'm like 'what?' and it was like 36 million come up winner, the machine stopped, I dropped, it was just insane, I don't know, it's pretty surreal."

Rennie tells Global News he will likely be giving his notice to work on Tuesday
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 08:29 am
@roger,
I was with family at Disneyland soon after it opened in '55. Just looked it up in wiki - Pirates of the Caribbean opened in '66 -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disneyland#Adventureland
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Tue 24 May, 2011 02:47 pm
I bet he'd love to get this reception at home.
http://www.rte.ie/news/av/2011/0523/media-2963780.html#
0 Replies

Old Goat

Reply Tue 24 May, 2011 02:54 pm
Mind you, if you put a carthorse who could fart in morse code to tell them how wonderful the Irish are, they'd probably give him the keys to the City.

The Irish are expert at blarney, giving AND receiving.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Tue 24 May, 2011 03:12 pm
@Old Goat,
Ooh, nasty, lets try it with, say Prince Charles or maybe George Bush, even
short arse Sarkozy. Lets try Putin or Castro, what do you reckon OG? , do you think
the Irish would have given Bush or any of that lot this welcome?.
Do you think the Irish are that bland, unthinking and naive?.
Shove your cynicism where the sun don't shine and accept the Irish people felt
a genuine affection for Obama and are not a bunch of unthinking automatons
as you seem to suggest.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 24 May, 2011 07:18 pm
People are so focused on Obama's being black, they generally ignore the rest of his roots.
0 Replies

Old Goat

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 05:48 am
@eurocelticyankee,
S'cusez moi, but what is the title of this thread? And there was me thinking the Irish had a great sense of humour.

I love (most of) the Irish "character". That doesn't preclude me from having an opinion about their national traits though, does it?

The reason you all cheered like that is that his - now lets gets this right - great great great grandaddy happened to be from their neck of the woods, and they honestly thought that he was returning to the motherland purely because he was desperate to do so.
Make sure there's film footage of him downing a Guinness, hugging his seventh cousin three times removed and a funny about him looking for his apostrophe, and he has everyone eating out of his hands.

Oh, and several million Irish Americans shedding a nostalgic tear or two just in time for the forthcoming US elections.

He is a Politician. He and his advisers knew exactly what they were doing.

PS - Hes' now moved on to meet the British Royalty et al, hoping that the many ardent royal watchers back in the US will also put a big X next to his name in the polling booths.

If he were THAT Irish (just like you infer with your Prince charles comment) he wouldn't have touched Brit royalty with a bargepole.

Like I say, the Irish are always up for a good yarn.

Brits are no different when it comes to patriotic silliness - just look at the recent wedding hysteria.

I had no intention of offending, but then again, if you are so easily offended then it's not really my problem.

eurocelticyankee

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 06:24 am
@Old Goat,
Ok Og, no problem, just let the people enjoy themselves for a day without kicking them in their "national traits" (your stereo-typical view of them).

Believe or not we're not stupid, we can see the political optics of it all or is being stupid one of one of our "national traits" as I'm sure we're all still thicko paddy's to a lot of you Brits, unfortunately.
0 Replies

Old Goat

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 06:30 am
I never said any such thing, and certainly don't think it.

I'm quite used to the rest of the world slagging off my national traits, thank you very much. Sometimes it seems as if the USA and Britain are vying for pole position to see who can get hated around the world the most.

Like I say, I'm used to it and tend to shrug, as do most Brits and Americans, I suspect.

The Irish, on the other hand, are pretty much universally popular around the globe. Good luck to you, I say.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 06:42 am
@Old Goat,
Ok. Sir, I don't wish to antagonise you or carry this any further, I accept your bona fide.
I hope you can understand it's still uncomfortable for a lot of Irish people to be made fun
of by the British, you could say we call it your superiority complex and you could call it
our inferiority complex. Damn history!

Good luck to you too, Sir.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 11:41 am
@Old Goat,
OG, first off, I accept you didn't intentionally mean anything by it, but
forgive me, I just have to ask, what "national trait" this represents or implies.

Quote:
Mind you, if you put a carthorse who could fart in morse code to tell them how wonderful the Irish are, they'd probably give him the keys to the City.

0 Replies

Old Goat

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 11:47 am
It implies that you are nearly always ready to soak up some blarney, as long as it's complimentary.

If Obama stood in Hyde Park and told us all that he was somehow English at heart, we'd probably laugh at him, and if he went on to tell us how wonderful we all were, we'd probably all wonder what he was selling.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 11:50 am
When Kennedy stood up in front of thousands of citizens of Berlin, and tried to say in German, I am a Berliner, but in his ignorance said I am a puff pastry--the people roared and cheered because they knew what he meant. The Saxon is too absorbed with the comtemplation of his own (alleged) excellence to understand things like that.
Old Goat

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 11:51 am
Don't worry, we have the same sort of traits. Just look how we all get weepy and patriotic when an aristocratic German family parades in front of us.

We pretend that they're just like us, and English through and through. Course we do!

Vive les similaritees, as they say in Saxe Coburg.
Old Goat

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 12:01 pm
@Setanta,
Plus they did a little roaring because they knew that the west were showing themselves and declaring that the nasty red bear would be kept at bay.

Or they could have just been laughing at the silly man that just declared that he was a donut, or some other bread related product.

I think it was the red bear thing myself.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 12:01 pm
@Old Goat,
I have to say that ol' German lady certainly won over the hearts
of many Irish people on her recent visit here.
Who'd a thought it!

"Vive les similaritees" ..indeed.
Old Goat

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 12:17 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
Y'know, when I first heard she was going there, I thought "oh god", and had visions of Phil the Greek taking your top bods to one side and telling his best Irish joke, etc.
But all credit to them.....he kept his foot out of his mouth and she FINALLY said and did all the right things, as regards to our mutual history.
It wouldn't have meant the same or had half as much weight if the likes of Cameron had gone oevr there and said it, 'cos he's just a mealy mouthed politician like the rest of them.
It took a lot of humility to do what she did during that trip, and that does not come easy to her at the best of times.
Hopefully a new chapter awaits, as long as the nutters from both sides don't jump in and try to ruin things.

eurocelticyankee

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 12:42 pm
@Old Goat,
Yeah, I was waiting for Phil to put his foot in it and make his "Do you still throw spears at each other " type of remark but it never came.
The truth is we're as familiar with his gaffes over here as you are and find them equally hilarious so I don't think it would have been the end of the world had he made one, but fair play to him he didn't.
I thought the lady did herself and her country proud. As for the nutters, we must all remember we're still walking on eggshells, but hopefully theres light at the end of the tunnel and the further we travel together, the less chance of a return to the bad old days.

http://www.aardvarkmap.net/getamap-examples/examples-prince-phillip-gaffes.htm

He's a head case.. Razz

0 Replies