Oddities and Humor

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 04:49 am
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 21 May, 2011 07:26 am
I may be the only one here watching The Mentalist TV series. Thursday night, the season finale was a shocker. For those who never saw the show:
Patrick Jane comes from a carny family. He left all that behind and went legit. He was a good family man. Then, a monster murderer, known as Red John, assaulted and killed Jane's wife and daughter. In order to pursue Red John more efficiently, Jane joined up with the law as an "adviser", based on his uncanny insight and intuition. He cracks every case by his own methods, long before anyone gets a clue. Throughout the series run, red john toys with him and humiliates him. Not this time, however. Several episodes back, a man that successfully killed the man that molested and murdered his daughter, bought Jane a present: a pistol. In the season's last episode, Jane found himself face to face with Red John. There was no one to help Jane arrest him and Jane has always run from every hint of violence in ever previous episode. The man taunted him and explained how he was going to not only walk away, he was going to reform his life and evade justice forever. Jane pulled his pistol from his pocket and put three bullets in Red John. Then he sat at a table to drink his tea and wait to be arrested.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 02:36 pm
SANTA FE, Texas—A local family feels some sense of relief after a bill to ban bath salts has made it all the way to the governor’s desk.

When James Baldwin opened up about the suicide of his son in January, he just wanted to make people aware of the substance.

"If you’re doing the stuff, stop it and if you haven’t done it, don’t," said Baldwin. "That’s all I can say about that bath salts.  It’s bad. It killed my boy."

His boy was 31- year old Joey Baldwin. He was hooked on what some consider a legal form of cocaine. He started getting paranoid, hallucinating and eventually took his own life.

"I had signs that I didn’t take advantage of," admitted a heartbroken Baldwin. "I didn’t use it at my full potential. I could have made him stop. I don’t know."

The Baldwin’s knew sharing Joey’s story wouldn’t bring him back, but it is making a difference around the state. KHOU 11 News’ original stories on the substance caught the attention of State Representative Garnet Coleman.

"I heard about it through your newscast and it disturbed me," said Coleman.

Representative Coleman introduced a bill that would ban the chemical hallucinogens bath salts. The product is also sold under the names Cloud 9, White Lightning and Ivory Wave.

Coleman’s bill has made it all the way to the Governor’s desk to be signed.

Below is a list of punishments for possession, manufacturing and delivering.

If approved, offenders with less than one gram on them would be charged state jail felony and could earn 180 to two years in prison. Possessing between one and four grams would be a felony and punishable by up to 20 years in prison.

Offenders carrying between 4 and 400 grams could get between 5 and 99 years in prison. Someone having more than 400 grams could face imprisonment for life or for a term between 10 and 99 years.

If signed, the bill will go into effect in September.

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 03:08 pm
@Francis,
http://addins.kwwl.com/blogs/cubbietails/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/bird-3-3.bmp
Hollywood needs to make this an animated heist film now!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 03:13 pm
Here is the studio to produce it
Letty

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 04:15 pm
@edgarblythe,
Never saw that one, edgar, but speaking of birds.

http://caligreen.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/potc072.jpg

Johnny Depp has revealed it was a "psychedelic experience" to find himself on the Pirates of the Caribbean attraction at Disneyland.
The 47-year-old actor stars as Captain Jack Sparrow in the movie franchise based on the popular theme park ride and Johnny revealed he and co-star Geoffrey Rush (Captain Hector Barbossa) found it surreal when they realised they had been incorporated into the attraction.
He said: "It's pretty psychedelic actually. I suppose you could make it even more psychedelic, but we probably shouldn't go into that. But yeah, the idea of wandering through this ride and, suddenly, there you are, three times over. Geoffrey had a similar experience. He had to go and get his head round it as well. It's quite an honour in a weird way, that what you helped create becomes this forever object."
Along with seeing his character on the theme park ride, Johnny revealed he often finds himself slipping back into character especially when his kids 12-year-old daughter Lily Rose and nine-year-old son Jack are around.

The humor.

Jack Sparrow can sing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMQGCoaXex0&feature=related

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 04:19 pm
Ah - The soundtrack of Disney's Cinderella.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 04:22 pm
I was at Disneyland in 1968. Didn't see Jack Sparrow there, myself, but maybe I wasn't looking right.
Letty

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 04:30 pm
@edgarblythe,
the original Pirates was a slow moving boat ride at Disney Land. Took that ride, edgar back in 1967

http://www.ukhotmovies.com/features/images/pirates-caribbean-disney-ride.jpg
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 04:44 pm
@Letty,
I have to amend to say, I was there in '64, not 68. They had Tomorrow Land totally uprooted in order to put in different attractions. And they were still attaching the last leaves to the Swiss Family Robinson tree house.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 04:52 pm

NEW YORK — Joseph Brooks, the Academy Award-winning songwriter of "You Light Up My Life" who was awaiting trial for rape, was found dead Sunday of an apparent suicide in his Manhattan apartment, police said.

Brooks, 73, was discovered in his Upper East Side apartment around 12:30 p.m. by a friend with whom he had planned to have lunch, police spokesman Paul Browne said.

Brooks was found on the living room couch with a plastic dry-cleaning bag around his head and a towel wrapped around his neck, Browne said. A hose attached to a helium tank was hooked up to the bag, he said. It was not immediately clear how long Brooks had been there.

The apartment door was ajar, Browne said.

The medical examiner will perform an autopsy to determine the cause of death. Police said a suicide note was found but they didn't reveal its contents.

Brooks was awaiting trial on allegations that he molested women who were lured to his apartment for supposed acting auditions. He pleaded not guilty to rape and other charges.

Brooks' lawyer and Manhattan prosecutors had no immediate comment about Brooks' death Sunday.

Brooks won the Academy Award for best original song for the 1977 Debby Boone ballad "You Light Up My Life" and directed a related movie. He also won a Grammy for the song.

He pleaded not guilty in 2009 to rape, sexual abuse and other charges in the attacks on 13 women. His trial date had not been set.

Prosecutors say he lured most of the women to his apartment through an online ad offering auditions for a movie role, then sexually assaulted them after making them drink apparently drugged wine as part of an "acting exercise."

Brooks suffered a stroke in 2008, and his lawyer had said the songwriter's health was deteriorating during the court case. He appeared gaunt and shuffled slowly as he came to recent court dates.

Brooks' son, Nicholas, has also been charged in a high-profile criminal case in New York.

Nicholas Brooks is charged with murder in the death of his girlfriend, Peruvian-American swimsuit designer Sylvie Cachay, who was found dead in an overflowing bathtub at the swank Soho House club and hotel in December. He has pleaded not guilty and is being held without bail at the Rikers Island jail complex

Read more: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ent/7576387.html#ixzz1N7mVwKAB
0 Replies

George

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 07:06 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
I may be the only one here watching The Mentalist TV series. . .

Not the only one. I love that show! I wonder how they'll try to deal with
Patrick Jane's execution of Red John.

Kimball Cho is fast becoming one of my favorite TV characters for his
deadpan delivery. ("You might wanna consider changing clothes first.")
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 07:11 pm
@George,
Great show. It doesn't seem likely Red John was actually an imposter, but who knows what the writers will come up with? (Example: Lost writers threw in the kitchen sink and us fans swallowed it all and begged for more). I agree about Cho. They are gradually filling in his background too, which makes me appreciate him more.
George

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 07:23 pm
@edgarblythe,
I'm not an intolerant guy, but I still haven't forgiven the "Lost" writers.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 07:24 pm
@George,
That final episode of Lost made me feel like a rider in an SUV when it crashes into a tree.
George

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 07:32 pm
@edgarblythe,
It made me feel like the tree.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 07:38 pm
The WB network is planning a series that made me think of Lost. I forgot the title. It's about modern people going through a time hole to build a civilization in times when dinosaurs roamed.
George

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 07:53 pm
@edgarblythe,
Oh good, a time hole. Novel idea.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 08:11 pm
The way I see it, there are only so many plots to consider. It's what happens, after you adopt one that really counts.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 08:23 pm
@George,
George wrote:

edgarblythe wrote:
I may be the only one here watching The Mentalist TV series. . .

Not the only one. I love that show! I wonder how they'll try to deal with
Patrick Jane's execution of Red John.

My wife and I also watch it.

RJ did have that gun wrapped in that newspaper. He can say he felt he was in danger and fired in self-defence? Wink
0 Replies