Oddities and Humor

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2011 04:57 pm
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee307/edgarblythe/didyouloseacat.jpg
eurocelticyankee

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2011 05:19 pm
@edgarblythe,
Brilliant, the mind boggles?
Please tell me there's a story behind this. Is it real??
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2011 05:24 pm
@edgarblythe,
Laughing

[2 thumbs up!]
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2011 06:16 pm
My first thought: photoshop. Don't know the origin of the pic or anything else.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2011 10:52 am
@edgarblythe,
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQMohac4MNToBLUruPH_E8OZvnsuekOW3M13ob8g3qpkMSubaBDlA
Known in the game as the vasectomy tackle.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2011 12:32 pm
Hilarious, edgar and Irish.

Another oddity.

The giant tarantula.

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/willow/spider-info6.gif

The humor involves this. It was a dance that originally was done so that when bitten by that furry fellow one could work up a sweat that would flush out the poison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Tz7MsKgaA0&feature=related
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2011 01:00 pm
Did not know that about Tarantella, the dance, letty.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2011 01:33 pm
@edgarblythe,
Yes it is photo shopped.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2011 05:12 pm
Began the work day this morning. Also asked my work partner, "How was your weekend?"

Reply: "Not too good. I was dizzy, could not walk almost all weekend. Last week, I tried to move a standing ladder. I forgot the two foot pry bar was on top of it. The bar hit my head. Did not hurt, but I put ice on it for one hour. I was okay, until Saturday morning."

We will call him Nelson.

Nelson had explained to me recently that he had refused to sign for the company provided insurance, because it would cost too much to include his wife. He uses something else, which must not help much. Speaking with him this morning, I determined that he did not understand Worker's Comp. I explained to him that he did not need money, if hurt on the job, but that it is necessary to report to the manager as quickly as possible. After he understood this, he said, "You will explain to Miss ______ for me?"

I did and she immediately called him in, via the radio.

We learned that the accident actually happened on Thursday.

The emergency room doctor that he saw (after taking a drug test) told him to stay home, until Thursday, leaving me, the part time guy, to do what he can. Confused

I blame Nelson's confusion on the fact he did not fully understand the information he was provided, early on, and then he failed to ask questions.

I told him I have a hard hat in storage that he can use.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2011 07:56 pm
I'm off to watch Harry's Law. Anybody else watch it? I know. "I don't watch television." Well, I ain't ashamed to admit I do. Harry's Law stars Kathy Bates. It is like the second or third retread of The Practice. But I love the way the lawyers manipulate and spout liberal causes and win cases against impossible odds. Only thing about Harry's Law, it is overly on the soap opera side.
dadpad

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2011 08:55 pm
@edgarblythe,
In Oz he wouldnt be allowed to work without a hard hat. The site of a maintenance job is considered a work place. No hard hat and hi visibility vest - no start. In fact i believe other employees (maybe site supervisors) can be held accountable if someone is working without proper PPE. Thems the rules.
In addition here employees have to take (some) responsibility for their actions. "You were told to wear a hard hat at all times" "you should have been reasonably able to identify that not doing so placed you at risk in this situation". This is weighed up against the companies failure to provide correct training .
That said there the rules only apply if someone gets hurt so there are judgement calls all the time. Impossible to wear a hard hat under a sink cleaning out a blocked drain etc.
Hope he's ok. Dont you over do things they'll only expect it next time.
Reyn

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2011 08:59 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I'm off to watch Harry's Law. Anybody else watch it? I know. "I don't watch television." Well, I ain't ashamed to admit I do. ...

I watch TV, but don't get that show. Wink
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2011 09:08 pm
@dadpad,
Well, I have been doing the same sort of job, since age 16. In all of my years siding houses or apartments (among the other, related, tasks) not a single person has worn a hard hat. But, I am changing my thinking and after Nelson's accident we all may be wearing them.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 07:24 am
By Jennifer Bell

Tomball Police will soon be patrolling both the skies and the roads, as City Council approved a service agreement between the Tomball Police Department and the U.S. Department of Justice for the employment of a light sport aircraft called a gyroplane at their March 21 meeting.

The aircraft, an Auto-Gyro MTOsport, is manufactured in Germany to strict airworthiness standards required in Britain, Germany, and Australia. There are more than 1,000 MTOsport gyroplanes flying worldwide, many of which are being used by military units, civil air patrol, and police agencies around the world.

In June 2010, the Tomball Police Department was selected from a nationwide candidate pool to become a member of the United States Department of Justice's National Institute of Justice’s Aviation Technology Program.

http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/tomball/news/article_bc2bb628-a5ad-548c-8546-bbc83e59f4db.html

Reyn

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 06:16 pm
@edgarblythe,
Hey, neato!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2011 06:15 pm
from Slate.com -

Ultimate Karmic Payback for Lottery Winner Who Was Budged in Line

Mike Barth, the man who won the Mega Millions jackpot on Friday in Albany, New York, was butted in line by another man who wanted a ticket, according to the Times Union. "Someone reached in front of me," said Barth. "Actually cut in front of me to buy a ticket. I thought about saying something but let it slide." Barth received the ultimate karmic payback for staying silent in the face of rudeness: $319 million. Barth and six co-workers – all employed as state IT workers from the Homes and Community Renewal offices – appeared in public on Thursday for the first time since the announcement. Each gets $19.1 million after taxes. The odds of winning the Mega Millions lottery is 1 in 176 million.
Times Union | Thursday, March 31, 2011

the man who won the Mega Millions jackpot on Friday in Albany, New York, was butted in line by another man who wanted a ticket, according to the Times Union. "Someone reached in front of me," said Barth. "Actually cut in front of me to buy a ticket. I thought about saying something but let it slide." Barth received the ultimate karmic payback for staying silent in the face of rudeness: $319 million. Barth and six co-workers – all employed as state IT workers from the Homes and Community Renewal offices – appeared in public on Thursday for the first time since the announcement. Each gets $19.1 million after taxes. The odds of winning the Mega Millions lottery is 1 in 176 million.
Times Union | Thursday, March 31, 2011
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2011 06:57 pm
I heard a story on local radio this morning, about a trucker who choked on a bit of apple while driving. He passed out and the truck crashed. When his body was thrown forward, he struck the dashboard with his chest. It dislodged the apple piece and he revived.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2011 07:56 pm
When my wife's Uncle was admitted to a nursing home, he fought it as valiantly as anyone ever fought. In the beginning, he put a stretcher against a fence and tried climbing over. Then he persisted in approaching the main entrance, using his walker. When they began hiding the walker, he tried dragging himself out with just his arms.

He finally succumbed and today he was buried.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2011 07:59 pm
@edgarblythe,
condolences, ed...
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2011 08:01 pm
@Rockhead,
Thanks, rock. The indignities suffered by the old are many and varied.